ADVERTISEMENT

Good Listen from Jay Moore

Husk10

All-American
Dec 3, 2005
Texas

Interestingly, both Moore and the interviewer state that Kaz was a "phenomenal" DL coach.

Overall good listen and Moore's thoughts on Hughes. He was certainly in favor of the fire.

16 min.

Reactions: newAD

Interestingly, both Moore and the interviewer state that Kaz was a "phenomenal" DL coach.

Overall good listen and Moore's thoughts on Hughes. He was certainly in favor of the fire.

16 min.
Might have been a "phenomenal DL Coach" but also had some serious demons. Obviously temper problems have haunted him i.e - Village Inn Incident and Domestic Battery Charges. His "Bully" or "Verbally Abusive" mentality might have worked on Pelini's staff but I don't think that is what Riley wants from his coaches. Most Iowa fans were happy to get rid of him because of how he communicated with the players and treated them. I think Riley has moved away from the Battered Wife Syndrome style of coaches.

Yeah Kaz doesn't need to be leading/guiding/coaching any 18-21 college athlete at all. Very happy he wasn't retained, I don't care about his coaching abilities.

As many have stated here he had many angry outbursts, we don't need that garbage anymore.

Kaz burned his bridges at NU specifically. That stuff with his wife may have burned his bridges in the college coaching field in general. I wouldn't want him on a coaching staff with what we know about him now. However, in his time here, I thought he was a very good coach. Passionate, hard working and successful recruiter, and could teach the DL position. Those are the sort of qualities I'd want in a coach, and I want NU to find someone like that again. I don't know how good Hughes was at any of these. I'm sure Hughes was a quality guy and decent coach, but this wasn't the right spot for him.
Riley has says he wants "experts" in his assistant coach hire. Hughes had the coaching background expertise, but his record showed a definite lack in recruiting. (Moore wasn't particularly impressed with his coaching style or ability, either.) Riley needs to find someone who can do both, and also fit in with Nebraska. It's not an easy task, but with NU's bankroll for assistants, we should be able to get someone good. Probably someone I've never heard of.

Also agree with his thoughts on Tavita....go get someone with a pedigree at the spot and has produced results in recruiting

Also agree with his thoughts on Tavita....go get someone with a pedigree at the spot and has produced results in recruiting

Agreed.

I like Chris Kiffin at Ol' Miss. NU could give him a raise, additional titles, and NU is not at an immediate risk of being on probation.

He's been a DL coach at two schools, is familiar with NU (could be a bad thing), has deep ties in the SEC recruiting footprint.

This staffing change has HUGE potential, if we grab the right guy. No more OSU buddies. Grab the best out there and pay him.

I like these comments - "potential" whatever that really is, "right guy" whatever that is, and "pay him" however much that takes. No one will ever agree on these, just sayin.........

I like these comments - "potential" whatever that really is, "right guy" whatever that is, and "pay him" however much that takes. No one will ever agree on these, just sayin.........

NSIS
This is our shot at making a difference. The right addition here could eventually bring back the Blackshirts.

Reactions: iROOT4nu
Lol. Meltdown will ensue if and when Thompson gets the job. It will be awesome to watch the bloners faces collectively melt off when they have the collective coaching knowledge of my morning coffee.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
True with Bray. But me thinks he already took the good pieces and parts from OSU...don't you?
Yup. And the replacement may have already been here from the jump. You got a problem with assistants moving up the ladder? That is the Nebraska way.

Reactions: Yossarian23
"OSU buddies" like Bray? Riley has hired top notch assistants and has already shown the willingness to get rid of assistants not pulling their weight.

My thought when Riley got hired, was this has to be his last job, and he knows it. He does have time for staff to grow into their jobs, he needs results now. I think everyone has a potentially short leash.

Reactions: headcard

16 min.

Wow never knew Hughes didn't look for a house, move his family here, and lived in dorms? Interesting. Either someone who didn't plan to be here long, or didn't expect to be here long.

Wow never knew Hughes didn't look for a house, move his family here, and lived in dorms? Interesting. Either someone who didn't plan to be here long, or didn't expect to be here long.
Really? Wow. His recruiting results certainly showed that lack of commitment. Retiring?

Reactions: Husk10
Was that in the podcast? If it was, I missed it.

Heard his daughter enrolled at NU and someone mentioned having a son in class with his boy here in Lincoln?

This staffing change has HUGE potential, if we grab the right guy. No more OSU buddies. Grab the best out there and pay him.

I don't necessarily feel HCMR needs to hire an OSU connection, but I do believe in the trust factor in asst. coaches. hughes came from the best available line and it didn't work.

True with Bray. But me thinks he already took the good pieces and parts from OSU...don't you?

There are quite a few guys out there (not all specifically DL) that have OSU roots. Riley has had a shit ton of GA's and position coaches over the past decade.

Brecterfield would be a great hire when speaking about DL, who started as a "Riley guy" but was hired by Neuheisel and retained by Mora. I believe he was also brought on staff at Wisconsin by Aranda.

That's several +1's to Riley's initial assessment of the guy. I wouldn't consider him a nepotism hire, but once people get wind of his Riley roots, they probably will say we shit the bed, if he's the guy that gets the nod.

Reactions: Yossarian23
There are quite a few guys out there (not all specifically DL) that have OSU roots. Riley has had a shit ton of GA's and position coaches over the past decade.

Brecterfield would be a great hire when speaking about DL, who started as a "Riley guy" but was hired by Neuheisel and retained by Mora. I believe he was also brought on staff at Wisconsin by Aranda.

That's several +1's to Riley's initial assessment of the guy. I wouldn't consider him a nepotism hire, but once people get wind of his Riley roots, they probably will say we shit the bed, if he's the guy that gets the nod.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the guy, but just looking at their class, he was a recruiter for 2 DTs, one 4 star from the Phoenix area, and a 3 star in state player (with maybe the best name for a DT I've seen, (Tyler Biadasz). Got no idea how to pronounce it, but it looks like "badass."

Maybe the kid from Phoenix has ties to the state, who knows, but if he didn't, then that's a good pickup. The in state kid probably didn't take a lot of recruiting, but I'd sure as hell have taken those results this year.

So if he can coach, and is at least an average recruiter I'd be happy.

Loser is accruate but to be fair, he didn't "beat" her. He threw a picture frame at her, and apparently he's got a good aim.
Far from the first time. The neighbors were aware, and then proof finally happened

What's with all the "OSU connections" stuff? Riley hired guys like Williams and Stewart with no ties, just the best coaches available.
I am expecting the unexpected with this hire. He's likely been thinking about this for a fair amount of time. Nobody had a clue about Williams. My hope is that he hires somebody that already has a great relationship with several 4 star stud DT kids in next year's high school senior class.....

Reactions: headcard
I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the guy, but just looking at their class, he was a recruiter for 2 DTs, one 4 star from the Phoenix area, and a 3 star in state player (with maybe the best name for a DT I've seen, (Tyler Biadasz). Got no idea how to pronounce it, but it looks like "badass."

Maybe the kid from Phoenix has ties to the state, who knows, but if he didn't, then that's a good pickup. The in state kid probably didn't take a lot of recruiting, but I'd sure as hell have taken those results this year.

So if he can coach, and is at least an average recruiter I'd be happy.

Rand's mother is from Wisconson, yes he also had family ties to NU but moms and 3-4 D won out.

If you look at Breckterfield's (sp?) recruiting history he doesn't appear at first glance to be a top flight guy.

No reflection on his coaching.

Kaz was a heck of a DL,coach. Although Bo's scheme made his DL awful against the run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT