ADVERTISEMENT

Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I'm serious for once. I have a lot of education and work experience in this field and I'm just curious what other people legitimately think has caused this.
I guess maybe a discussion about Mel Kiper could break out though. :p

Ok. I will bite.

I think its nature being nature. Earth gets warm, Earth cools, it happens. There are periods of warming and cooling throughout history.

Do I think its caused by man? No.

Do I think its being exploited by people? Yes. On both sides of the political spectrum.

I've read much about the warming "pause". Whats your opinion of that?

Last edited:
It is not a political issue except in the political arena.

So if you don't really know the answers, you can look up the consensus of the research community.

Or you could go with your gut. Whatever feels more rational.

KA.gif

All planets in our solar system are getting substantially warmer. Not just earth. Maybe we are contributing, who knows.

Well.this has been certainly been debated with charts, graphs, a New York city that was supposed to be underwater by 2015. (Per Albert Gore) who also claims ....to have given us the "Internet".
My opinion is this...........it is a back door environmental tax, and truly nothing more.
We have had to even change its original name when real data proved we were cooling, to climat

Well.this has been certainly been debated with charts, graphs, a New York city that was supposed to be underwater by 2015. (Per Albert Gore) who also claims ....to have given us the "Internet".
My opinion is this...........it is a back door environmental tax, and truly nothing more.
We have had to even change its original name when real data proved we were cooling, to climat
Can I get a source on that alleged Gore quote?

I have read articles stating the data collection of temperatures has been changed and is flawed.

I heard this as a funny - the same people who predict the weather prediction five days unsuccessfully are the same people who are predicting global warming 100 years from now.

Personal opinion is it is nothing more than a reason to control the masses and separate us from our money.

Last edited:
Man made global warming is a con. Now, if you want to talk about global warming and cooling that's a whole different matter. If we fall into another ice age I really doubt we could really do anything about it. How do the scientists aim to conquer the food problem on a global scale? Or are a few billion expected to die while a few million hunker down in contained environments for a few hundred generations?

Reactions: bomber89
Could you imagine a instantaneous solar flare causing our magnetic core to get thrown into chaos? It would be instant Armageddon blindsiding all this man made hand ringing.

We can't burn through our natural resources at the rate we are and not have an impact on the planet.

Can it be both nature and man made?

It's hard for me to believe that with all the pollution humans create that it doesn't have some kind of effect.

At the same time I don't believe we create enough pollution to be the sole reason why our weather does crazy stuff and nature has played a role in the past.

Could you imagine a instantaneous solar flare causing our magnetic core to get thrown into chaos? It would be instant Armageddon blindsiding all this man made hand ringing.
If the sun can hold off for a few more years, the Cornhuskers might win one more conference championship before it happens.

Reactions: k9_r
If you want a chilling read , check out One Second After. I worry more about that scenario than warming. I mention it due to rover's solar storm comment. Similar effects, but man made

The earth is warming, an it's almost certainly man made. But at this point there isn't s damn thing we can do to stop it..... Unless we want to entertain the idea of wiping China and India off the map.

There is a $2 Trillion Industry that is created to stop global warming. If you are scientist that can see the big bucks you can make how would you vote?

Look at it this way, a million years from now, it won't matter. Highly doubt if people will be alive then on this planet, nothing last forever and humanity will see itself go by the way of the dodo, more than likely a lot sooner than a million years.

The data shows that the Earth has clearly been warming up over the last century or so.

What is the cause of this?

Really? Go to biocab.org. All the reading and graphs you need. Search geologic global climate change. Interesting about the 4 continual stages of Climate Change that happens naturally.

Strange how the definition of Climate seems to morph. Climate hasn't changed anywhere that I know of. Deserts are still deserts. Jungle still jungle. We both know true "Climate Change" would more than likely mean maybe a hurricane would hit the west coast. Pac NW would become a desert. Somalia a lush jungle and maybe Siberia no longer a tundra.

I'm guessing most understand that the prevailing Warm/Cold(relative) Streams in the oceans and the Jet Stream pretty well contribute to the weather and prevailing climate in any particular area. It's the reason Hurricanes take the path they do and why they end where they do. They are the reason SoCal is arid.

I'm particularly fond of a Vice Special on some island in Indonesia that they say is going to be underwater due to rising seas. Did water cease to take the past of least resistance and, instead, opt to gather in one particular area? I know it sure hasn't caused me any issues on my beach properties despite assurances to the otherwise.

I, unlike Senator Hank Johnson, do not believe an island can capsize....nor do I think properties of water behave differently in particular areas of the Earth. I find it far more logical, knowing how an island is formed, that the same activity that made it rise can have the opposite effect.

For every 1 that says this is real there is another to rebuke it with just as fancy graphs.

It doesn't appear there is anything happening that hasn't happened naturally over time. Based on areas that have prehistoric fish fossils, I'd say the Earth itself makes many changes over time regardless of what we do.

....and why the hell is it always some unquantifiable enemy that requires mass amounts of taxation to fight?

If you want a chilling read , check out One Second After. I worry more about that scenario than warming. I mention it due to rover's solar storm comment. Similar effects, but man made

Good one. More chiling? Day of Wrath. You can see that one coming...Europe first...

I totally believe in Global Warming. to think that man is causing this warming is a sign of an inflated sense of oneself. The earth has warmed and cooled since the beginning of time. just look at the temps recorded over 1 million years ago ;)

Correct, however, I have recently experienced this phenomena personally. Denver got warmer as Spring started morphing towards Summer.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I had typed up an incredibly long post, but then I thought, it's best not to engage. This is a topic where both sides argue in bad faith. For 95% of people with opinions regarding climate change, if the political implications were reversed their view on the subject would likewise change. If the predominate policy paradigm for dealing with climate change were massive tax cuts and deregulation to fuel innovation and provide for the necessary capital to adapt to a different climate, most skeptics would tout it as the world's biggest threat and most of the people who agree with the scientific consensus now would say that the whole thing was a plot hatched by the Koch brothers. The issue has little to do belief in science (the percentage of people on the side of scientific consensus regarding climate change who are anti-GMO and anti-vaccine activists is greater than the percentage of skeptics who are members of these communities) it's about expressing contempt for those on the other side, be they gun totin' rural folk or smug urbane elitists. In short, human activity certainly impacts the climate but that's not really the issue.

In short, human activity certainly impacts the climate but that's not really the issue.
I saw a Springer episode once where some wimpy guy came out with his girlfriend (hottie). Springer said, "You know if you are here something must be going on." The guy said it must be something with her family because he was "certain" his marriage to the hottie was solid as a rock. Turns out she had been stepping out with some older obese guy who liked to be dressed and treated like a baby....fed, burped, suckled, etc. They even had the Springer cam at the pervert's house and showed her feeding the guy baby food in a huge highchair and changing his diaper.

Just another example why I rarely, if ever use the words "certainly" or "certain" because very little in life is except death and taxes.

Not even a little bit? It's 100% nature?
I sure believe we can pollute and disrupt. But the planet is truly great and nature is our master. We are at her mercy and not the other way around.

It is not a political issue except in the political arena.

So if you don't really know the answers, you can look up the consensus of the research community.

Or you could go with your gut. Whatever feels more rational.

The "consensus" in science has been wrong MANY times through history. They change Global Warming to Climate Change because temps stopped rising but the need for power and money did not. The idea that you can apply a linear model to something that runs in cycles in CLUELESS. EVERYTHING in nature runs in cycles yet we have created linear models to scare the people. Worse yet the move to criminalize those who have the nerve to question the science is frightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT