ADVERTISEMENT

Give the Group of 5 conferences their own Championship

Wasker77

Senior
Dec 23, 2014
Eastern Washington
I've been writing and talking about this for the last few years. I think expanding the FBS football playoffs makes no sense. Every year there are only 2-3 teams worthy of the the National Title. What other teams besides Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson did anyone consider before the start of the season (and next season for that matter)? Throw in ND this year and no other teams are good enough to win the title.

The AAC commissioner stated this week that the cards are stacked against the teams from the Group of 5 conferences making the playoffs. Cincinnati is undefeated and all the national pundits talk about is how unworthy they are. They talk about everything from disparity of recruits, to schedules, to draft choices (Cowherd) OK. Give them their own glass trophy. I think it would make the lesser bowls more interesting. Rotate the two semi-final games amongst the early bowl games. Then are you telling me no one will watch these games and say the final that has Cincinnati going against Coastal Carolina. No way does this diminish the National Championship for the Power 5 schools. I think it only enhances college football and gives the Group of 5 schools something to shoot for.

Again, everyone deserves a trophy #millenial #parents #basement

No, not everyone deserves a trophy, but if they are not even going to be allowed to compete for the BCS then give them there own trophy. If the BSC expands to 8 teams that just mean the SEC will get 3-5 teams every year. The rest of the schools will be still fighting for slots.

Reactions: BleedRed78
When the BCS was formed the non power conferences were given 2 options.

1. Get their own division with it's own championship game...

Or

2. Be a part of the BCS, getting no real championship opportunities but retain access to a share of the BCS revenue.

They were given that same choice when the playoff was introduced. BOTH times they chose to take the money.

The only ones stopping the non Power 5 conferences from having their own championship is the non-power 5 conferences.

Reactions: gw2kpro and HBFR
Bcs was discontinued w/ implementation of cfp.

Whatever. BCS or CFP The Group of 5 are never breaking into that club.
When the BCS was formed the non power conferences were given 2 options.

1. Get their own division with it's own championship game...

Or

2. Be a part of the BCS, getting no real championship opportunities but retain access to a share of the BCS revenue.

They were given that same choice when the playoff was introduced. BOTH times they chose to take the money.

The only ones stopping the non Power 5 conferences from having their own championship is the non-power 5 conferences.

Thank-you. Good info.

No, not everyone deserves a trophy, but if they are not even going to be allowed to compete for the BCS then give them there own trophy.

They should set it up, then. They could set up a G-5 national championship format starting next season. Start from a blank slate. 4 team, 8 teams, 16 teams.

What's stopping them?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT