ADVERTISEMENT

Get in or get out speech

This.post says it all ! What he describes is huge part of where we are at as a program !!!

At some point you have to hold coaches accountable as well. Poor technique, poor play calling, bad team chemistry is on the coaches. Scott is quick to blame players all day long but seldom says the coaching sucked today. Nebraska has more talent on their team than 70% of the Big 10 teams, they are just poorly coached. Matt Campbell had half the talent last year Nebraska has this year and they were rock solid. Why, if you watch them they do the little stuff right like blocking and tackling. That’s coaching.
As we have heard Frost is a very confident individual. I think the success he and his coaches had at UCF solidified in his mind that his coaches and what they did there, works. Hence why we have heard him say time and time again, "we know this works." One thing he is not factoring in is just because a system or coaches work in one conf or one team, It doesn't mean it/ they will work everywhere.
As many have said, the AAC is not the BIG10. Coaching inadequacies and lack of talent can be made up for with a bit of luck, schemes, and poor quality opponents. The AAC is not known for solid D. So Frost up tempo, high points mentality worked well there. In the BIG where D is king it makes it much tougher to "out score" your opponents. Especially when he doesn't seem to have a huge emphasis on stopping teams from scoring. I have said and still believe if his UCF team in 2017 had played that year in the BIG they would have been a 4 loss team.
Bottom line much of this is on the coaches, if it makes people feel better to place blame on anything and everything but them so be it. If this was any other coach who came in and is putting out a team like we have seen would everyone be screaming "talent issue"? This is in no way shape or form saying I don't think he is the right guy for the job, I do. I also think he will get things figured out. I think it may take longer than he or anyone thought. It is going to take him realizing he needs to make changes, how long that takes will depend on how long this rebuild takes.

Creates an unintended artificial ceiling. People become OK with 7 win seasons. And we will become what we make fun of what Iowa is. Paying a coach a ton of money to be slightly above average most of the time.

Name a team that does “more with less” that legitimately plays for national titles.

As I said, if the goal has been lowered to be the 8-10 win team that will rotate between the gator bowl and the outback bowl, then fine. That is where I will lower my expectations to.

Creates an unintended artificial ceiling. People become OK with 7 win seasons. And we will become what we make fun of what Iowa is. Paying a coach a ton of money to be slightly above average most of the time.

Name a team that does “more with less” that legitimately plays for national titles.

As I said, if the goal has been lowered to be the 8-10 win team that will rotate between the gator bowl and the outback bowl, then fine. That is where I will lower my expectations to.
Whether people want to admit it or not, realistic or not, I think we all know what everyone's goal is.

Reactions: husker2612
Whether people want to admit it or not, realistic or not, I think we all know what everyone's goal is.

so you are lowering the expectation to be Iowa? Cool. Then we don’t need to have any recruiting discussions because we can just get a bunch of 3 stars and fight with Iowa, Northwestern and Minnesota for 2-5 in the west.

Reactions: 1632
so you are lowering the expectation to be Iowa? Cool. Then we don’t need to have any recruiting discussions because we can just get a bunch of 3 stars and fight with Iowa, Northwestern and Minnesota for 2-5 in the west.
I think as part of any roadmap to success you have to have some intermediate goals along the way. One of those goals and probably the first should be to win the west.

I can't remember the exact quote, but TO said something like his goal was to win the Big 8 and so he tried to design offensive and defensive schemes to do that, understanding his opponents, the conference, the weather, etc.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Oh god no I meant national titles. Sorry I thought that was assumed, my bad. No, I want the powerhouse Nebraska back. I'm just of the opinion that there are milestones for recruiting that we need to hit on the way back up. Like there are bowl game tier recruits, 9 win season recruits, 10 win season, 11, unbeaten, so on and so forth. But we have to be developing that talent at each tier that we're at in order to be able to convince the next tier of recruits to come to Lincoln. Which will happen, just takes time.

Reactions: jeans15
Oh god no I meant national titles. Sorry I thought that was assumed, my bad. No, I want the powerhouse Nebraska back. I'm just of the opinion that there are milestones for recruiting that we need to hit on the way back up. Like there are bowl game tier recruits, 9 win season recruits, 10 win season, 11, unbeaten, so on and so forth. But we have to be developing that talent at each tier that we're at in order to be able to convince the next tier of recruits to come to Lincoln. Which will happen, just takes time.

Ok. But that goes back to my point that “more with less” won’t win national titles. You can have milestone goals like 7 wins, 8 wins etc but you have to recruit top players AND develop them. Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern and evening Wisconsin have long term ceilings that are below national championship levels. When they get to games against more talented teams, that also develop players they lose.

those teams use that Osborne methodology to create a program that can win the division but 9 times out 10 they aren’t good enough to beat the East. So they become ok with just winning the west and looking forward to the 1 time in 10 where they win the league.
Imho

Reactions: c3o and headcard
Saying you want to complete for Natties is not mutually exclusive with competing with Wisc and Iowa. You can't get to the latter without the former.

Reactions: 1632
How are we so much worse than Iowa, a school nearby also not a heavy population state, with average recruiting and average reputation schools? Has the talent evaluation and coaching here been astronomically awful and busted?

Another school I compare us to and wonder how we’re so much worse is Utah. I was born there. Utah is solid every year, not dominant but very sound on offense and pretty consistent. I bet they would beat our asses.

I just can’t believe how far this program has fallen.
Utah pulls a bunch of kids, I assume without looking at their roster, frow west coast and Arizona. All within the PAC footprint.

I think this is the year that will test the doing more with less. Wisky looks like the real deal this year. I would say this year is now or never for them to break through the conference championship ceiling and make a playoff push.

It will be interesting to see if they choke a game away on the way to the championship game or if they can beat Ohio State in the championship stay unbeaten and see if they get selected for the playoff.

Ok. But that goes back to my point that “more with less” won’t win national titles. You can have milestone goals like 7 wins, 8 wins etc but you have to recruit top players AND develop them. Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern and evening Wisconsin have long term ceilings that are below national championship levels. When they get to games against more talented teams, that also develop players they lose.

those teams use that Osborne methodology to create a program that can win the division but 9 times out 10 they aren’t good enough to beat the East. So they become ok with just winning the west and looking forward to the 1 time in 10 where they win the league.
Imho
I can appreciate and respect that. In order to win national titles again, we have to have the recruits for that. In order to even be in the conversation for recruits like that, we have to win the Big 10 more often than not. In order to get the recruits to do that, we have to win the West more often than not. In order to win the West, more often than not, we have to have the recruits to win the West first. I believe, right now, we have more than enough physical talent compete/win the West, but need to develop some of the other parts now.

Reactions: bshirt73
I think as part of any roadmap to success you have to have some intermediate goals along the way. One of those goals and probably the first should be to win the west.

I can't remember the exact quote, but TO said something like his goal was to win the Big 8 and so he tried to design offensive and defensive schemes to do that, understanding his opponents, the conference, the weather, etc.
As bad as this team is, I think even that small of goal is down the goal road a bit. The first goal needs to be putting a competent,disciplined, fundamentally sound team on the field. What we saw Sat, I have no doubt some top high schools in the country could play them close. Then we need to focus on beating teams like South Alabama handily. Next beating teams like MN, NW, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa on a consistent basis. Then we might be to the point where we can beat Wisc and play for the West

Reactions: Frozone and dand84
As we have heard Frost is a very confident individual. I think the success he and his coaches had at UCF solidified in his mind that his coaches and what they did there, works. Hence why we have heard him say time and time again, "we know this works." One thing he is not factoring in is just because a system or coaches work in one conf or one team, It doesn't mean it/ they will work everywhere.
As many have said, the AAC is not the BIG10. Coaching inadequacies and lack of talent can be made up for with a bit of luck, schemes, and poor quality opponents. The AAC is not known for solid D. So Frost up tempo, high points mentality worked well there. In the BIG where D is king it makes it much tougher to "out score" your opponents. Especially when he doesn't seem to have a huge emphasis on stopping teams from scoring. I have said and still believe if his UCF team in 2017 had played that year in the BIG they would have been a 4 loss team.
Bottom line much of this is on the coaches, if it makes people feel better to place blame on anything and everything but them so be it. If this was any other coach who came in and is putting out a team like we have seen would everyone be screaming "talent issue"? This is in no way shape or form saying I don't think he is the right guy for the job, I do. I also think he will get things figured out. I think it may take longer than he or anyone thought. It is going to take him realizing he needs to make changes, how long that takes will depend on how long this rebuild takes.
UCF is a 2 loss team at most of they played in a P5 conference. That Auburn win wasn't a fluke. They had way better players than we do now. We don't have a McKenzie Milton anywhere on the roster. We don't have an Adrian Killins or their receiver Smith, or their TE that year. We sure as heck don't have a Shaquem Griffin on the roster. I don't think it's necessarily a talent issue, but the development hasn't been there to produce the type of players UCF had. I do agree with you this type of defense isn't going to work long term in the Big 10.

Imho
I completely disagree with this. Iowa was about 20 seconds away from playing for a Nat Title just a few years ago.

And 2 years ago Wis was a 4tht quarter away from playing far a Nat Title.

Both of those programs have not only had way more consistent success than us, they’ve both been within an eyelash of making the playoff in the last 4 years.

I’m not so sure that Wis isn’t the best team in the country right now. Barring injuries I fully expect them to go into Columbus & win.

I look for both programs to put a nice beatdown on us in Lincoln as well. Business as usual.

Imho
Once again have no idea what you're talking about. Due to the Devaney and Osborne eras, we had the most conference titles of any team in the country. The Osborne methodology is obviously good enough to win conference championships.

Reactions: Slantsflood7
UCF is a 2 loss team at most of they played in a P5 conference. That Auburn win wasn't a fluke. They had way better players than we do now. We don't have a McKenzie Milton anywhere on the roster. We don't have an Adrian Killins or their receiver Smith, or their TE that year. We sure as heck don't have a Shaquem Griffin on the roster. I don't think it's necessarily a talent issue, but the development hasn't been there to produce the type of players UCF had. I do agree with you this type of defense isn't going to work long term in the Big 10.
Not trying to start and argument just fun to play hypothetical. When looking at the 2017 BIG10 if UCF was in there. If they were in the East. They lose for sure 2 if not all of these 3 Ohio St, Michigan ST, and Penn St. and depending on their cross over possible 1 or 2 game from the west. Now if they were in the west I see them losing to Wisc for sure possibly NW. For crossover games, again depending who they play I see them losing 1 maybe 2. So Yes they would fair better in the west but they wouldn't have beat wisc. So going 4 losses in the East and probably 3 in the west. They would probably be in that NW level that year

Not trying to start and argument just fun to play hypothetical. When looking at the 2017 BIG10 if UCF was in there. If they were in the East. They lose for sure 2 if not all of these 3 Ohio St, Michigan ST, and Penn St. and depending on their cross over possible 1 or 2 game from the west. Now if they were in the west I see them losing to Wisc for sure possibly NW. For crossover games, again depending who they play I see them losing 1 maybe 2. So Yes they would fair better in the west but they wouldn't have beat wisc. So going 4 losses in the East and probably 3 in the west. They would probably be in that NW level that year
Michigan State would not have beaten UCF in 2017. They got rolled by ND and OSU, lost to NW, almost lost to Minnesota and Indiana. Common opponent was Maryland MSU beat them 17-7, UCF beat them 38-10.

“There’s always a temptation to say I told you so …. But for this locale, this climate, I think you’ve got to be able to jam it at people sometimes.” -Tom Osborne 10/31/92 after CU switched to airing it out

Reactions: Slantsflood7
They were like 5-0 in one score games though the year that they went undefeated. Statistics would say they would lose 2 or 3 of those if the season was replicated enough times. That means they were likely a 10-2 team who might have finished 2nd in the AAC...that is really how good the staff is...a good staff, a good turn-around but not coach of the year material...and obviously a staff that is still learning. Going undefeated caused NU many more problems. Frosty recruited more poorly because of bowl preparation, the Riley holdovers felt like chopped liver when he came in to "save the day"...some of them thought he was a miracle worker and his scheme would fix their lack of talent and work ethic. The defense thought they could just be aggressive and they would magically become good. Frost gave the impression with/without saying it that things would be better just because he was there. Nobody took into account the massive amount of sacrifice necessary to take a really poor program and make it great...fans and players and coaches are finally "getting it". Many things need to align. You have to hit homeruns in recruiting, you have to invest heavily into recruiting and infrastructure, you have to get lucky with schedule and injuries, and you have to set up the psychology of the team the right way. Frost is still experimenting with being a hard-ass vs. warm demander...loving them and then replacing them. It is a mess right now with transfer rules changing and the fact players have so much leverage because of depth issues.

Reactions: headcard
They were like 5-0 in one score games though the year that they went undefeated. Statistics would say they would lose 2 or 3 of those if the season was replicated enough times. That means they were likely a 10-2 team who might have finished 2nd in the AAC...that is really how good the staff is...a good staff, a good turn-around but not coach of the year material...and obviously a staff that is still learning. Going undefeated caused NU many more problems. Frosty recruited more poorly because of bowl preparation, the Riley holdovers felt like chopped liver when he came in to "save the day"...some of them thought he was a miracle worker and his scheme would fix their lack of talent and work ethic. The defense thought they could just be aggressive and they would magically become good. Frost gave the impression with/without saying it that things would be better just because he was there. Nobody took into account the massive amount of sacrifice necessary to take a really poor program and make it great...fans and players and coaches are finally "getting it". Many things need to align. You have to hit homeruns in recruiting, you have to invest heavily into recruiting and infrastructure, you have to get lucky with schedule and injuries, and you have to set up the psychology of the team the right way. Frost is still experimenting with being a hard-ass vs. warm demander...loving them and then replacing them. It is a mess right now with transfer rules changing and the fact players have so much leverage because of depth issues.
This is interesting and I have never thought about the possibility of the 13-0 season being a bad thing for us, but you make some good points. The one I do disagree with is the recruiting angle. I think the publicity Frost got for going undefeated and winning National Coach of the Year has helped recruiting.

This is interesting and I have never thought about the possibility of the 13-0 season being a bad thing for us, but you make some good points. The one I do disagree with is the recruiting angle. I think the publicity Frost got for going undefeated and winning National Coach of the Year has helped recruiting.
I thought so too but the 2018 class is much thinner now than it was just a year ago. The Riley debacle and the contrast between the two staffs lead to a fairly large migration of players away from us. You would think we would have kept more players or had a chance at recommitting more players if the 13-0 really mattered. I know there was a dead period as well and early signing period really hurt us but I believe the immediate commitment would have sent a different message to the team. Watching him run around the country and leading his team to a BCS bowl certainly magnified his wizard image. He isn't magical as we are all finally finding out.

Reminds me of the Tim Cup analogy one of our sportswriters used a while back. Nebraska is Roy McAvoy always going for it and Iowa is David Sims always taking his par.
And we definitely keep shanking it into the water.

Program. Lol. I love how everybody keeps using that word.

I wouldn't wipe my *(( with the Nebraska program right now. Please. It's laminated and it hurts my anus

Listening to Frost's comments, he said we were close on offense, and that there were little mistakes that kept us from moving the ball, and from keeping them from having big gains. These things are the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF!! Not the players!!

Penalties are the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF!! Discipline is the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF!! Turnovers are the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF. Players repeatedly being misaligned and not having sound gap integrity is the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF!! Not taking care of the ball and turning it over at a break-neck pace is the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF!!

This horseshit of having no fear of failure needs to go! Immediately!! I can understand employing something like that at the start of your regime, while people are learning new systems, but you're 19 games in, for crying out loud. I'm guessing the lack of focus and missing assignments would be replaced with a lot more focus, if you made players run steps or gassers when they continue to f*ck up!!

No more explanations or excuses. The first thing that can be changed in a football program, and it can be changed quickly, is the focus of the players. It has nothing to do with athleticism. It has to do with mentally preparing your team to play 60 minutes of mistake free football. You play like you practice, which means you and your coaching staff aren't concerned with mistakes in practice. And it shows on Saturdays.

I will agree about the penalties. I observed about ten years ago that tackles rarely false start when they a TE outside of them. Call it a security blanket if you will.

Our coaching staff turnover and the system overhauls have contributed mightily to that. IF you change your offense every 3 years like we did lately and even during Bo's tenure, it's self defeating. We need consistency in our schemes and staff. Eventually it will pay off. We've gone from option, to WCO, to a blend of WCO and spread, back to a WCO and now to a full blown Kelley style spread. Each time you change, you change to some degree what type of player you want at multiple positions on offense. People need to be patient and not get their panties in a wad over this and probably next year's results. Stay the course and we'll be fine.

rack’em! Strong post. Spot on.

Once again have no idea what you're talking about. Due to the Devaney and Osborne eras, we had the most conference titles of any team in the country. The Osborne methodology is obviously good enough to win conference championships.

Well i am not talking about Nebraska in the 70’s and 80s. I am talking about Iowa and Wisconsin using the Osborne method to win in 2010s. It doesn’t work.

Nebraska under Osborne never had to win a division, a conference championship game, a semi final game AND a national title game. To use that methodology in 2019 is much much more difficult than it was in 1995.

I completely disagree with this. Iowa was about 20 seconds away from playing for a Nat Title just a few years ago.

And 2 years ago Wis was a 4tht quarter away from playing far a Nat Title.

Both of those programs have not only had way more consistent success than us, they’ve both been within an eyelash of making the playoff in the last 4 years.

I’m not so sure that Wis isn’t the best team in the country right now. Barring injuries I fully expect them to go into Columbus & win.

I look for both programs to put a nice beatdown on us in Lincoln as well. Business as usual.

Iowa was exposed by Stanford. Imagine what the top 4 teams would have done. That’s right we don’t have to imagine, the team they were 20 seconds from beating got hammered 38-0 by Alabama.

In 2017 Ohio St was up by 2 tds and let Wisconsin get within a FG before winning by 6. Not sure that is a 4th quarter away from anything.

I think you are confusing 2016 game vs Penn St where Penn St scored 10 points in the 4th to win the game. But that 2016 Wisconsin team was a 2 loss team going into the B1G title game. Losing to Ohio St and Michigan in the regular season. The 2016 team wasn’t getting a CFP spot.

Reactions: Frozone
Well i am not talking about Nebraska in the 70’s and 80s. I am talking about Iowa and Wisconsin using the Osborne method to win in 2010s. It doesn’t work.

Nebraska under Osborne never had to win a division, a conference championship game, a semi final game AND a national title game. To use that methodology in 2019 is much much more difficult than it was in 1995.
I wonder if anyone has a strategy for competing at the playoff level. Warm weather, "southern" teams (and I include USC in that), have won 19 of 21 national titles since NU and MI split it. OSU being the lone exception. Northern teams represent 6 of the 21 losers. Nebraska (1), ND (1), OSU (2), Oregon (2). OSU is able to recruit at an SEC type level, but everyone else in there is essentially just a random good run or the luck of the computer match-up back when the BCS was a thing. Oregon had a nice little run with their new style offense and was able to recruit well.

Nebraska did have to play in conf championships in 96 and 97. Probably cost them another MNC in 96 as half the team was sick for the championship game they lost to Texas 37-27. They won the 97 game handily 54-15.

Nebraska did have to play in conf championships in 96 and 97. Probably cost them another MNC in 96 as half the team was sick for the championship game they lost to Texas 37-27. They won the 97 game handily 54-15.

That is true but in 1997 Michigan played Washington St and not #4 Florida St and Nebraska beat Tennessee but didn’t have to turn around and play Michigan or Florida St a week later.

I wonder if anyone has a strategy for competing at the playoff level. Warm weather, "southern" teams (and I include USC in that), have won 19 of 21 national titles since NU and MI split it. OSU being the lone exception. Northern teams represent 6 of the 21 losers. Nebraska (1), ND (1), OSU (2), Oregon (2). OSU is able to recruit at an SEC type level, but everyone else in there is essentially just a random good run or the luck of the computer match-up back when the BCS was a thing. Oregon had a nice little run with their new style offense and was able to recruit well.

You have to recruit and develop. That is the strategy. Knowing the strategy is easy, executing is the hard part.

Iowa was exposed by Stanford. Imagine what the top 4 teams would have done. That’s right we don’t have to imagine, the team they were 20 seconds from beating got hammered 38-0 by Alabama.

In 2017 Ohio St was up by 2 tds and let Wisconsin get within a FG before winning by 6. Not sure that is a 4th quarter away from anything.

I think you are confusing 2016 game vs Penn St where Penn St scored 10 points in the 4th to win the game. But that 2016 Wisconsin team was a 2 loss team going into the B1G title game. Losing to Ohio St and Michigan in the regular season. The 2016 team wasn’t getting a CFP spot.

Nebraska also didn't just employ a do more with less model. Iowa and Wisconsin do not recruit at near the level TO did. We had Top 10-20 classes consistently under TO (some in the Top 5), there has been a lot of good research and posts on this topic, on this board. Yes, we were able to develop and utilize low-rated and walk-on type guys at some positions like FB and WR; but we had big-time guys on defense, on the lines, at QB and RB. We were great at developing players, but we also recruited difference makers. The catalysts of our championship teams were the kind of big-time guys were aren't getting right now. Ahman Green, LP, Frazier, Frost, Wistrom, Mike Brown, Ralph Brown were all 5-star type guys. And TO's greatest strength was that he was cutting edge, alot of what he did on offense is what modern spread running teams are copying today. Obviously we need to develop our players, but we also need to be cutting edge and recruit difference makers.

We shouldn't be so surprised that there's still issues. Some of these guys were here when a blowout loss to Minnesota started the wheels rolling downhill FAST on Riley getting canned.
You believe a blowout loss from 2 years ago is really an issue for any games this year? Are guys 2 years from now going to be effected by this years Minnesota or Ohio St blowout loss?

Well said. Those blaming 100% of the issues on MR and players are delusional. Those blaming 100% on Frost are in the same boat. This is a team, from players, to assistant coaches to Frost. There is equal blame to go around for this mess. 1.5 years is not enough time for him to get enough talent in to do what he wants to on both sides of the ball. It is enough to be able to get your team to work hard every snap and have your team not look like they wanted to go home on sat because it was too cold. That part falls on him.
People do forget just like players, coaches need time to develop too. . This is only his 4th year as an HC, 2nd in a P5 conf. I think he is finding what worked in the AAC is not going to work here. He is going to have to adjust and adapt and that takes time. IMO I think he will get it figured out, I don't know how long it will take, but I would bet it will take longer than many have patience for. Yes if we fail to get to a bowl this year and struggle again next year, his seat shouldn't be hot, but it will be. I think not giving him at min 5 years would be a mistake.
Great post.

I wouldn't say Iowa or Wisconsin are using the Osborne method. Under Osborne, we both recruited better athletes and had better development than Wisconsin or Iowa. Osborne had an innovative offense and he actually cared about having a dynamic QB. None of those things are comparable to Wisconsin or Iowa.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
I wouldn't say Iowa or Wisconsin are using the Osborne method. Under Osborne, we both recruited better athletes and had better development than Wisconsin or Iowa. Osborne had an innovative offense and he actually cared about having a dynamic QB. None of those things are comparable to Wisconsin or Iowa.
I have read a thousand times that Alvarez took the Osborne blueprint and now they are beating us with it. Now you say they aren’t? Please.....

Reactions: Hastings4Huskers
You

ADVERTISEMENT