ADVERTISEMENT

Get in or get out speech

Lmao. Yep, surely we will have the 4 and 5 stars on offense and defense just like them.

When you run this offense, over half the stuff doesn't work when you play good defenses. And you put your defense in a horrible spot with time of posession wise.

When you recruit elite, you can do whatever you want because you are stacked on o and d. When you are not stacked, you have to develop and do more with less like Wisconsin and Iowa.

Doing more with less doesn’t work any more.

Lmao. Yep, surely we will have the 4 and 5 stars on offense and defense just like them.

When you run this offense, over half the stuff doesn't work when you play good defenses. And you put your defense in a horrible spot with time of posession wise.

When you recruit elite, you can do whatever you want because you are stacked on o and d. When you are not stacked, you have to develop and do more with less like Wisconsin and Iowa.
Doing more with less is fine if we are wanting to achieve what Wisky and Iowa has achieved. To me that ceiling is getting to the conference championship but then losing to the likes of Ohio St, Michigan or Penn St.

When Frost was first hired and early in his first recruiting cycle I was one who always said this is a staff that will recruit anywhere from decently to a good class and we will develop those players and will be able to compete.

After watching Ohio St over that time and how inept we have looked against the likes of Minnie we need the horses to compete. I thought the reason we hired Frost was to get us to that next level.

So it's not the offense?

Doing more with less doesn’t work any more.
Goal number 1 for the Nebraska brand needs to be not getting blown out and a laughing stock like we are now. Wisconsin has been shoving it down our throats with our old blueprint for years. And every year we talk about how cool our offense is. You have to do more with less because you're not loaded with 4 and 5 stars.

Goal number 1 for the Nebraska brand needs to be not getting blown out and a laughing stock like we are now. Wisconsin has been shoving it down our throats with our old blueprint for years. And every year we talk about how cool our offense is. You have to do more with less because you're not loaded with 4 and 5 stars.

So you have basically conceded That Nebraska will never be anything more than a 10 win team that will play in a New Years six bowl every couple of years, losing to teams that have more talent? It’s cool and all. Just want to see what your ceiling for this program.

At best 2 or 3 of these 160 guys will get drafted at all. So I don’t see the relevancy of this post. The NFL or where they will get drafted has zero to do with not being ready to play in the cold and rain.

Being ready to play in the cold? They appeared to be unwilling to play in the cold.

I'm well aware there won't be many draft picks from at least the upperclassmen on this team. I've been saying all season we lack talent. This last game appeared to show they lack a lot of will.

So you have basically conceded That Nebraska will never be anything more than a 10 win team that will play in a New Years six bowl every couple of years, losing to teams that have more talent? It’s cool and all. Just want to see what your ceiling for this program.
No, not at all. It's like Nebraska from the 80's to the 90s. You have to have a starting point and product that's winning 8 or 9 games before you can take the next step to the next level. None of us Nebraska fans want to live in the mediocrity. You know what I mean Tuco.

Reactions: bshirt73
Being ready to play in the cold? They appeared to be unwilling to play in the cold.

I'm well aware there won't be many draft picks from at least the upperclassmen on this team. I've been saying all season we lack talent. This last game appeared to show they lack a lot of will.

It wasn’t just upperclassmen that had no want to

Doing more with less is fine if we are wanting to achieve what Wisky and Iowa has achieved. To me that ceiling is getting to the conference championship but then losing to the likes of Ohio St, Michigan or Penn St.

When Frost was first hired and early in his first recruiting cycle I was one who always said this is a staff that will recruit anywhere from decently to a good class and we will develop those players and will be able to compete.

After watching Ohio St over that time and how inept we have looked against the likes of Minnie we need the horses to compete. I thought the reason we hired Frost was to get us to that next level.
In comparison to Wisconsin and Iowa, we certainly do less with more. I'm not sure this is a sign of what to expect with our current staff. But if they continue to struggle in recruiting talent at crucial positions then we are screwed if they cant' develop 2 to 3 star players.

Reactions: Huskred01
In comparison to Wisconsin and Iowa, we certainly do less with more. I'm not sure this is a sign of what to expect with our current staff. But if they continue to struggle in recruiting talent at crucial positions then we are screwed if they cant' develop 2 to 3 star players.
Our coaching staff turnover and the system overhauls have contributed mightily to that. IF you change your offense every 3 years like we did lately and even during Bo's tenure, it's self defeating. We need consistency in our schemes and staff. Eventually it will pay off. We've gone from option, to WCO, to a blend of WCO and spread, back to a WCO and now to a full blown Kelley style spread. Each time you change, you change to some degree what type of player you want at multiple positions on offense. People need to be patient and not get their panties in a wad over this and probably next year's results. Stay the course and we'll be fine.

Reactions: WHCSC
It's been 20 years of patience.

what's another five and a half years?

heck, it sounds like there could be a strategy of unleashing all the freshmen redshirts during the Wisconsin game and calling it a 3 game season to close out 2019 and build for next year.

not entirely stupid.. I'd be ok with that kind of reboot.

heck, it sounds like there could be a strategy of unleashing all the freshmen redshirts during the Wisconsin game and calling it a 3 game season to close out 2019 and build for next year.

Prob depends on how these next two games go, that theoretically are pretty winnable.

Half of our lifetime for some of us.

what i don't get is how often we get blown out the last 10 years or more. we often are not even competitive against remotely equally talented teams. do other mediocre teams like wake forest, boston college, byu get annihilated regularly like we do, giving up 400 yards receiving to one receiver, or 400 yards to one running back, lose in conference title games by 40+ points. how can quitting be a mentality in the program for 20 years, given the complete turnover of coaches and players so many times over that period.

what i don't get is how often we get blown out the last 10 years or more. we often are not even competitive against remotely equally talented teams. do other mediocre teams like wake forest, boston college, byu get annihilated regularly like we do, giving up 400 yards receiving to one receiver, or 400 yards to one running back, lose in conference title games by 40+ points. how can quitting be a mentality in the program for 20 years, given the complete turnover of coaches and players so many times over that period.

We are blown out because we keep getting put in night games on national t.v. We keep getting put into the forefront even though our team hasn't earned it. We are blown out because our fans fill the effin stadium even though we might be the 80th best team in the nation, and our fans travel by the thousands to watch such a team. We are viewed by rivals as a vulnerable blueblood, a team that can build prestige for a coaching staff. If we were purdue or indiana it would be an 11 am game, the other team would be sleepy, disinterested in preparation, worried about the next game against Michigan. Our name doesn't match the talent on the field and the poor kids, most of whom should be playing for an inferior program are stuck in the crossfire. An amazing but oppressive fan base who put their hopes into players that can't deliver. Can you imagine being the offensive line against OSU...coming out in front of gameday, in front of such an amazing spectacle and then having to play a team leaps and bounds better for 60 minutes...it would suck. And they play like it sucks.

Correction : 300+ yards to that Minnesota RB. Sounds better than 400.

There's two ways this can go. They, especially our upperclassmen, can either suck it up and bust their ass or they'll quit in which case kiss a bowl game goodbye. This team has enough talent to win the next 2 games and nobody can tell me that either of our upcoming opponents have better coaching than us. This is about effort these next 2 weeks.....well that and who we have left for QBs, RBs and WRs. Man we're dinged up.

The bye week came at a good time. I don't think they're bad coaches. I think they were hamstrung from the moment they started the rebuild because of the holes in the roster.

I think its important to see some progress going forward. I agree alot of it is effort. We should be able to beat these upcoming teams. I'm not very confident though.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Key word “Continuity”
There is so many new pieces to this team, and I don’t give a crap if it’s an excuse, it’s a fact. From young (freshman) guys, to first time starters, to grad transfers, and junior college kids, there is hardly any group of personnel who didn’t add a new piece this year.
When that happens you don’t have that player playing for the guy next to them. When you have turnover, how do you produce that organic part to a team?

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

You think that kind of talk only happens in the first season? You realize Saban has done this several times at Alabama!!!!

Frost wants to be the most physical team on the field no matter who Nebraska is playing and to play so weak pissed him off. He has every right to lay into the team to let them know what took place on the field is not acceptable and to set the standard that is expected.

It's all a mental thing and it's the hardest thing that Frost has to defeat. It's been a mental thing for 20ish years and it will take more than just a season to fix it. The team isn't even at the point yet where they can play a full 4 quarters. By the time this group of freshman are seniors you will see a vastly different football program.
Tired of the talk. Want to see improvement first. Wins will come.

We have a LONG ways to go before we get to Iowa or Wisc. That would be a BIG step for Nebraska

How are we so much worse than Iowa, a school nearby also not a heavy population state, with average recruiting and average reputation schools? Has the talent evaluation and coaching here been astronomically awful and busted?

Another school I compare us to and wonder how we’re so much worse is Utah. I was born there. Utah is solid every year, not dominant but very sound on offense and pretty consistent. I bet they would beat our asses.

I just can’t believe how far this program has fallen.

How are we so much worse than Iowa, a school nearby also not a heavy population state, with average recruiting and average reputation coaches? Has the talent evaluation and coaching here been astronomically awful and busted?

Another school I compare us to and wonder how we’re so much worse is Utah. I was born there. Utah is solid every year, not dominant but very sound on offense and pretty consistent. I bet they would beat our asses.

I just can’t believe how far this program has fallen. It seems to have no bottom. I agree that we are probably about the 80-90th best team in the country when you look at what transpires on the field of play.

You can maybe get away with the more with less when everyone is rowing the boat the same direction at the same time. Our recruiting has been so helter skelter that and our unity of purpose just doesn't seem to be there yet.

Wisconsin years of the same system even during coaching changes. Iowa same, mich st same,

There are always outliers like Minnesota this year, but teams with more stability tend to outperform the mean.

How are we so much worse than Iowa, a school nearby also not a heavy population state, with average recruiting and average reputation schools? Has the talent evaluation and coaching here been astronomically awful and busted?

I just can’t believe how far this program has fallen.
Iowa and Utah have both done things the right way for a long time. A lot of stability and consistency with both programs.

Listening to Frost's comments, he said we were close on offense, and that there were little mistakes that kept us from moving the ball, and from keeping them from having big gains. These things are the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF!! Not the players!!

Penalties are the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF!! Discipline is the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF!! Turnovers are the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF. Players repeatedly being misaligned and not having sound gap integrity is the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF!! Not taking care of the ball and turning it over at a break-neck pace is the fault of YOUR COACHING STAFF!!

This horseshit of having no fear of failure needs to go! Immediately!! I can understand employing something like that at the start of your regime, while people are learning new systems, but you're 19 games in, for crying out loud. I'm guessing the lack of focus and missing assignments would be replaced with a lot more focus, if you made players run steps or gassers when they continue to f*ck up!!

No more explanations or excuses. The first thing that can be changed in a football program, and it can be changed quickly, is the focus of the players. It has nothing to do with athleticism. It has to do with mentally preparing your team to play 60 minutes of mistake free football. You play like you practice, which means you and your coaching staff aren't concerned with mistakes in practice. And it shows on Saturdays.

You can maybe get away with the more with less when everyone is rowing the boat the same direction at the same time. Our recruiting has been so helter skelter that and our unity of purpose just doesn't seem to be there yet.

Wisconsin years of the same system even during coaching changes. Iowa same, mich st same,

There are always outliers like Minnesota this year, but teams with more stability tend to outperform the mean.

Alvarez year 4 - conf title - Rose Bowl
Ferentz - years 4-5-6 - all top ten ranked
Dantonio - years 4-5 - back o back 11 win seasons (7-1 in conf both years)

couple more years and we can judge how Frost compares to Ferentz, etc

Let’s be honest, that’s pretty close to my ceiling for this program.

Reactions: Chuck003
Iowa and Utah have both done things the right way for a long time. A lot of stability and consistency with both programs.

I can’t speak for Utah but we have gone out of our way to try and win championships.

Iowa is okay with 7-8 win seasons. We could have kept coaches like Solich and Pelini and been consistently around 9 years a year but also knowing we would never compete for titles. Maybe Iowa is right in recognizing they can’t compete for titles. I don’t know.

I can’t speak for Utah but we have gone out of our way to try and win championships.

Iowa is okay with 7-8 win seasons. We could have kept coaches like Solich and Pelini and been consistently around 9 years a year but also knowing we would never compete for titles. Maybe Iowa is right in recognizing they can’t compete for titles. I don’t know.
Reminds me of the Tim Cup analogy one of our sportswriters used a while back. Nebraska is Roy McAvoy always going for it and Iowa is David Sims always taking his par.

Reactions: Sinomatic
No one can question Scott Frost's passion for Nebraska football. I thought for sure this would be the biggest reason he would get this program turned around. But then I started to see while he is very loyal to the program, he is also very loyal to his friends. This might prove costly for him in the long run if he isn't willing to make the tough decisions of benching players and letting some of the dead weight go. Because, as it stands, I see a lot of players who need to be warming some benches or entering the transfer portal and several coaches who should not have been elevated to this level of coaching in the first place. They are in over their heads and we are seeing the results of that. Sorry but a harsh talk is not going to change a thing. Actions speak louder than words. Players and coaches are feeling mighty comfortable. Rather than "no fear of failure", Frost needs to make the players fear it in that if you do not perform, if you do not give every ounce of effort in your body, you will not be playing.
I would not be opposed to sacrificing the rest of this season at this point to allow younger players, players deeper in the depth chart, walkons who have that same passion as Frost, to get some playing time and perhaps it would help in the long run with establishing depth.

Last edited:
We are blown out because we keep getting put in night games on national t.v. We keep getting put into the forefront even though our team hasn't earned it. We are blown out because our fans fill the effin stadium even though we might be the 80th best team in the nation, and our fans travel by the thousands to watch such a team. We are viewed by rivals as a vulnerable blueblood, a team that can build prestige for a coaching staff. If we were purdue or indiana it would be an 11 am game, the other team would be sleepy, disinterested in preparation, worried about the next game against Michigan. Our name doesn't match the talent on the field and the poor kids, most of whom should be playing for an inferior program are stuck in the crossfire. An amazing but oppressive fan base who put their hopes into players that can't deliver. Can you imagine being the offensive line against OSU...coming out in front of gameday, in front of such an amazing spectacle and then having to play a team leaps and bounds better for 60 minutes...it would suck. And they play like it sucks.
My sentiments exactly ! Have been a big fan since 1957. I agree whole heartedly with Solana Beach Husker's assessment !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT