ADVERTISEMENT

Get in or get out speech

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Hearing rumors Frost gave another get in or get out speech after the game on Sat. Some saying it was the most heated anyone has seen him since here. If that is indeed the case. I wonder if we see some players hit the transfer portal soon. If we see some changes on the depth chart?
Also why the hell did it take him so long to get fired up? We could all see since game one things were not right. This is a speech that should have been given long before the beat down in MN. Finally, last year I can understand, but this year there is no reason he should still be having to do this stuff. These players should have been identified and weeded out long ago.

Reactions: red scowl
Interesting. It’s not really his personality, so I’m sure it was eye opening. As to why not sooner, while we haven’t played well, this was the first sign of not competing this year. Mistakes are one thing, lack of effort is another.

I hope like hell he did. I’ve been one that has been trying to tell a lot of people that this team wasn’t good, but it sure seemed like some guys didn’t want to play in the cold. Probably a good thing a whole lot of thee guys on this roster will never get drafted by an NFL team outside of the south or west coast.

Hearing rumors Frost gave another get in or get out speech after the game on Sat. Some saying it was the most heated anyone has seen him since here. If that is indeed the case. I wonder if we see some players hit the transfer portal soon. If we see some changes on the depth chart?
Also why the hell did it take him so long to get fired up? We could all see since game one things were not right. This is a speech that should have been given long before the beat down in MN. Finally, last year I can understand, but this year there is no reason he should still be having to do this stuff. These players should have been identified and weeded out long ago.

I agree this was a much needed and probably overdue convo. He’s in a tough spot to not drive a wedge between him and the players or give up on the majority of his roster.

But everyone knows that the MN game was beyond unacceptable simply from an effort level.
And if you’re gonna go out losing bad, it’s better to lose bad with youth and passion on the field.
I’d be so curious to know what this week’s film review convos look like.

I think it’ll show a lot, and if there’s any positive, plenty of learning could come from it.

Whoever the worst offenders are may need to sit for a half to let some more passionate walkons/freshmen get into the mix. Guys seem too comfortable.

I’d start the entire second string OL and walk on WRs only. I’d also start a majority of walkons on defense save a couple guys like Garrett Nelson...

Play at least 1 series offense and defense before considering putting the usual starters back in. (going down 7-0 I’d take any day if it lit a fire).

Time to make a statement that includes some action.

I agree this was a much needed and probably overdue convo. He’s in a tough spot to not drive a wedge between him and the players or give up on the majority of his roster.

But everyone knows that the MN game was beyond unacceptable simply from an effort level.
And if you’re gonna go out losing bad, it’s better to lose bad with youth and passion on the field.

I think it’ll show a lot, and if there’s any positive, plenty of learning could come from it.

Whoever the worst offenders are may need to sit for a half to let some more passionate walkons/freshmen get into the mix. Guys seem too comfortable.

I’d start the entire second string OL and walk on WRs only. I’d also start a majority of walkons on defense save a couple guys like Garrett Nelson...

Play at least 1 series offense and defense before considering putting the usual starters back in. (going down 7-0 I’d take any day if it lit a fire).

Those are some damn good ideas sir. HCSF has had enough dealing with the snowflakes.....I don't blame him one single bit.

He shouldn't have to give that speech in the middle of season two. I thought the team "puked it all out" last year. This season we should be watching a team playing hard and playing smart, a continuation of last year's trajectory, but with clear talent deficiencies in some areas. Most of us could live with that (not easily, but we could do it).

Good for him, when you have two offensive linemen fall down but get a penalty for a chop block, I’d be pissed too. You had linebackers running around with there heads cut off or better yet this team resembled the vibrating toy football game, players going every where

You think that kind of talk only happens in the first season? You realize Saban has done this several times at Alabama!!!!

Frost wants to be the most physical team on the field no matter who Nebraska is playing and to play so weak pissed him off. He has every right to lay into the team to let them know what took place on the field is not acceptable and to set the standard that is expected.

It's all a mental thing and it's the hardest thing that Frost has to defeat. It's been a mental thing for 20ish years and it will take more than just a season to fix it. The team isn't even at the point yet where they can play a full 4 quarters. By the time this group of freshman are seniors you will see a vastly different football program.

Is this a Sept. 2020 post?

If they refuse to do what you're teaching, then bench em and find someone who will at least try to.
We shouldn't be so surprised that there's still issues. Some of these guys were here when a blowout loss to Minnesota started the wheels rolling downhill FAST on Riley getting canned.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeans15 and tpmcg
Good for him, when you have two offensive linemen fall down but get a penalty for a chop block, I’d be pissed too. You had linebackers running around with there heads cut off or better yet this team resembled the vibrating toy football game, players going every where
iu

Key word “Continuity”
There is so many new pieces to this team, and I don’t give a crap if it’s an excuse, it’s a fact. From young (freshman) guys, to first time starters, to grad transfers, and junior college kids, there is hardly any group of personnel who didn’t add a new piece this year.
When that happens you don’t have that player playing for the guy next to them. When you have turnover, how do you produce that organic part to a team?

I hope like hell he did. I’ve been one that has been trying to tell a lot of people that this team wasn’t good, but it sure seemed like some guys didn’t want to play in the cold. Probably a good thing a whole lot of thee guys on this roster will never get drafted by an NFL team outside of the south or west coast.
Its one thing to be not good. Its an entirely different thing to mot try and get off blocks or even dhow some fight on the oline

He may lose some of his starters to transfer, and we have a stupid fanbase that yell their feelz on twitter.

We are walking a thin line with depth, but he recognizes an attitude adjustment is needed. I applaud him and agree, if true.

He walks a thin line with his ideals of family and yelling at some kid he is soft. He is trying to make a family, but it's one of respect and brotherhood than of your mom making your lunch.

He shouldn't have to give that speech in the middle of season two. I thought the team "puked it all out" last year. This season we should be watching a team playing hard and playing smart, a continuation of last year's trajectory, but with clear talent deficiencies in some areas. Most of us could live with that (not easily, but we could do it).
I agree, you give that type of speech too much with no changes on the field and you really start losing the team. I think this staff needs to start looking at what they can do better rather than blaming everything on the players. I'm honestly not a fan of this approach, I think there are a lot better ways to get your players to play harder on Saturdays.

He may lose some of his starters to transfer, and we have a stupid fanbase that yell their feelz on twitter.

We are walking a thin line with depth, but he recognizes an attitude adjustment is needed. I applaud him and agree, if true.

He walks a thin line with his ideals of family and yelling at some kid he is soft. He is trying to make a family, but it's one of respect and brotherhood than of your mom making your lunch.
There's two ways this can go. They, especially our upperclassmen, can either suck it up and bust their ass or they'll quit in which case kiss a bowl game goodbye. This team has enough talent to win the next 2 games and nobody can tell me that either of our upcoming opponents have better coaching than us. This is about effort these next 2 weeks.....well that and who we have left for QBs, RBs and WRs. Man we're dinged up.

I agree, you give that type of speech too much with no changes on the field and you really start losing the team. I think this staff needs to start looking at what they can do better rather than blaming everything on the players. I'm honestly not a fan of this approach, I think there are a lot better ways to get your players to play harder on Saturdays.
There are alot of ways the staff can improve and I'm sure they know that. But the idea that they aren't looking at themselves and are blaming everything on the players is absurd. The coaches take responsibility for the product on the field every time they speak. Giving a talk like this, in private, to their team is hardly throwing them under the bus. I agree that the yelling screaming maniac thing is counter productive, but there is always a time and place to get your point across and a need for tough love.

I like it. I would much rather get blown out, seeing our guys going balls to the wall every single play vs whatever it was we saw Sat.

This is where I actually do have a lot of criticism of Scott.

This was way long overdue.. and I think he is much too soft to these players.

Whether it is because he wants to be liked, or wants to be seen as a player / athlete still or whatever it is.

He's a head coach now. He's getting paid big time money to get results.

I absolutely believe his decision making gets clouded by athletes he admires or sees certain skillsets in that he likes, even if they are a drag on the team currently.

He has to bench people that aren't cutting it. You have to be hard on people and set the standard yourself, since there isn't really an upperclass to set it for you. You also have to start being more objective about what it is you have, and don't have, and how you're going to make it work for the rest of this season.

Scott's strength, and weakness is his stubbornness. But picking what to be stubborn on and what not to be is kind of important. He has to adjust this system (which he won't want to do) in order to try to get through this season with as many wins as possible.

He has to be MORE stubborn with the players and setting the standard, and yes, risk chasing some people away.

He also has to learn how to shut his mouth and not talk trash to every other team and to the fans. It's one thing to keep your players motivated, but when he talks all that crap to the media, that is for the fans and the opposing teams.

Quit saying you had the best practice ever.. I'd be telling my team that there is always room for improvement. It's never good enough. Not giving out bullshit like what he is doing. That is beyond stupid of him.

All this said, Scott is not as bright as people think he is. He's making a lot of mistakes, and will likely learn from them. He's got a good history of turning things around after making a disastrous mess first, but the clock is ticking.

There will be some people whispering if this team looks similar next year.

Reactions: c3o
This is where I actually do have a lot of criticism of Scott.

This was way long overdue.. and I think he is much too soft to these players.

Whether it is because he wants to be liked, or wants to be seen as a player / athlete still or whatever it is.

He's a head coach now. He's getting paid big time money to get results.

I absolutely believe his decision making gets clouded by athletes he admires or sees certain skillsets in that he likes, even if they are a drag on the team currently.

He has to bench people that aren't cutting it. You have to be hard on people and set the standard yourself, since there isn't really an upperclass to set it for you. You also have to start being more objective about what it is you have, and don't have, and how you're going to make it work for the rest of this season.

Scott's strength, and weakness is his stubbornness. But picking what to be stubborn on and what not to be is kind of important. He has to adjust this system (which he won't want to do) in order to try to get through this season with as many wins as possible.

He has to be MORE stubborn with the players and setting the standard, and yes, risk chasing some people away.

He also has to learn how to shut his mouth and not talk trash to every other team and to the fans. It's one thing to keep your players motivated, but when he talks all that crap to the media, that is for the fans and the opposing teams.

Quit saying you had the best practice ever.. I'd be telling my team that there is always room for improvement. It's never good enough. Not giving out bullshit like what he is doing. That is beyond stupid of him.

All this said, Scott is not as bright as people think he is. He's making a lot of mistakes, and will likely learn from them. He's got a good history of turning things around after making a disastrous mess first, but the clock is ticking.

There will be some people whispering if this team looks similar next year.
Well said. Those blaming 100% of the issues on MR and players are delusional. Those blaming 100% on Frost are in the same boat. This is a team, from players, to assistant coaches to Frost. There is equal blame to go around for this mess. 1.5 years is not enough time for him to get enough talent in to do what he wants to on both sides of the ball. It is enough to be able to get your team to work hard every snap and have your team not look like they wanted to go home on sat because it was too cold. That part falls on him.
People do forget just like players, coaches need time to develop too. . This is only his 4th year as an HC, 2nd in a P5 conf. I think he is finding what worked in the AAC is not going to work here. He is going to have to adjust and adapt and that takes time. IMO I think he will get it figured out, I don't know how long it will take, but I would bet it will take longer than many have patience for. Yes if we fail to get to a bowl this year and struggle again next year, his seat shouldn't be hot, but it will be. I think not giving him at min 5 years would be a mistake.

Last edited:

I think he was talking about Pennsy, Sparky, JohnRossEwing, Plano, Dingle, you, and I! ;):D

Reactions: husker2612
His post game was telling. Almost in tears he was so pissed. Good for him. Right guy for the gig.

I don’t see how this makes him the right guy for the gig.

And for the record, I’m not saying he’s not. But him being pissed isnt magically going keep him from being bent over by the likes of Michigan, OSU, and Wisconsin.

Reactions: schuele

At best 2 or 3 of these 160 guys will get drafted at all. So I don’t see the relevancy of this post. The NFL or where they will get drafted has zero to do with not being ready to play in the cold and rain.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
At some point you have to hold coaches accountable as well. Poor technique, poor play calling, bad team chemistry is on the coaches. Scott is quick to blame players all day long but seldom says the coaching sucked today. Nebraska has more talent on their team than 70% of the Big 10 teams, they are just poorly coached. Matt Campbell had half the talent last year Nebraska has this year and they were rock solid. Why, if you watch them they do the little stuff right like blocking and tackling. That’s coaching.

At some point you have to hold coaches accountable as well. Poor technique, poor play calling, bad team chemistry is on the coaches. Scott is quick to blame players all day long but seldom says the coaching sucked today. Nebraska has more talent on their team than 70% of the Big 10 teams, they are just poorly coached. Matt Campbell had half the talent last year Nebraska has this year and they were rock solid. Why, if you watch them they do the little stuff right like blocking and tackling. That’s coaching.
Lots of people are pointing at the coaches. Scott is actually very slow to blame players directly. Hardly ever does it. He did call them out after MN. I would say he also called out coaching as well.

Well said. Those blaming 100% of the issues on MR and players are delusional. Those blaming 100% on Frost are in the same boat. This is a team, from players, to assistant coaches to Frost. There is equal blame to go around for this mess. 1.5 years is not enough time for him to get enough talent in to do what he wants to on both sides of the ball. It is enough to be able to get your team to work hard every snap and have your team look like they wanted to go home on sat because it was too cold. That part falls on him.
People do forget just like players, coaches need time to develop too. . This is only his 4th year as an HC, 2nd in a P5 conf. I think he is finding what worked in the AAC is not going to work here. He is going to have to adjust and adapt and that take time. IMO I think he will get it figured out, I don't know how long it will take, but I would bet it will take longer than many have patience for. Yes if we fail to get to a bowl this year and struggle again next year, his seat shouldn't be hot, but it will be. I think not giving him at min 5 years would be a mistake.

1000% on the money sir. Fluffy horizontal passes everywhere very well may work fine in the AAC but vs the big boys? Add to that a zero established running game.....nope.....not a chance.

He'll get his 5 years no sweat and he'll sooner or later bounce back like a rubber ball. He's not perfect but he is a real-deal winner.

You mean like AN Ohio State's offense?

THE Ohio St that is averaging nearly two more yards per carry compared to Nebraska?

Frost is just one of many who has struggled this year. I’m sure quite a bit has to do with the horrendous offensive line and the lack of development from Martinez.

You can have all the talent in the world. If your bottom man isnt as invested at the top man your team will not reach their full potential.

OK, this is my first real post and I hope I don't get slaughtered for it. As others have said this aspect should have been taken care of long ago. I am not a Frost hater, and actually think he is absolutely the right man for the job. However why are so many ppl. shouting "Frost gave a speech, he will get us out of this mess." when in reality he is at least partially responsible for us being IN this mess. As has been discussed elsewhere this team has MANY problems but this one should have been handled long ago and falls squarely on coaching.

You mean like AN Ohio State's offense?
Lmao. Yep, surely we will have the 4 and 5 stars on offense and defense just like them.

When you run this offense, over half the stuff doesn't work when you play good defenses. And you put your defense in a horrible spot with time of posession wise.

When you recruit elite, you can do whatever you want because you are stacked on o and d. When you are not stacked, you have to develop and do more with less like Wisconsin and Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT