ADVERTISEMENT

Gerry Dinardo “Facilities don’t matter in recruiting”

Place like Oregon is known for it's facilities and uniforms. I think they matter but agree that they aren't everything. Seems kids anymore like to join the stacked teams that are winning. All the '5 stars' seem to lump up anymore at only a few schools.

They matter, but even middling power 5 programs have nice facilities these days.
Everyone wants to have that "hot take" these days so DiNardo can phrase it like that if he wishes. But you've captured the essence of what he really meant. If you want the top recruits, facilities are seldom going to be a deciding factor. That said, the new facilities will help when battling for some regional recruits like going against a school that doesn't have top of the line facilities.

They matter, but even middling power 5 programs have nice facilities these days.
Agree. Great facilities don't guarantee success, but poor facilities more often than not lead to failure. There is a baseline quality which facilities need to meet. The new facilities will exceed that bar, and soon enough will simply meet that bar.

Everyone wants to have that "hot take" these days so DiNardo can phrase it like that if he wishes. But you've captured the essence of what he really meant. If you want the top recruits, facilities are seldom going to be a deciding factor. That said, the new facilities will help when battling for some regional recruits like going against a school that doesn't have top of the line facilities.
So this 150 million dollar facility will help us beat Minnesota but not Ohio state? Take my money

Isn’t one of the big reasons why were building a new facility is so we have a locker room bigger and efficient to accommodate all of the players with walk ones included..

Not to mention position rooms needed to also be larger..

can you name a playoff team that isnt in the top 10 in facilities?
i hate it but its true. if you are not top 10 in facilities it is unlikely you will stay in top 10 on the field very long.
we have been creating professional college athletes for a few decades now. the schools have tried to avoid professionallizing the sport forever but at the same time have flaunted excessively how much money they make off the sport. many college programs have better facilities than NFL franchises. I dont like it but i guess its time we make college fb what it has been for a few decades.....a professional sport. the only thing missing is paying the players. if we are going to run it like a professional sport in every single way we might as well take the last step and make it official

Reactions: saluno22
Isn’t one of the big reasons why were building a new facility is so we have a locker room bigger and efficient to accommodate all of the players with walk ones included..

Not to mention position rooms needed to also be larger..
There is a simple solution. Determine the size of squad that your coaches can reasonably coach well. Coaching staffs are limited in size. You can't tell me that just because we are Nebraska that our coaches can coach more players better then other coaching staffs just because we have a history. Not the same coaches. Not the same players and we certainly aren't seeing the results. Time to realize the rotary phone is no longer the thing.

There is a simple solution. Determine the size of squad that your coaches can reasonably coach well. Coaching staffs are limited in size. You can't tell me that just because we are Nebraska that our coaches can coach more players better then other coaching staffs just because we have a history. Not the same coaches. Not the same players and we certainly aren't seeing the results. Time to realize the rotary phone is no longer the thing.

I’m not disagreeing with you on this but if you have seen some of these other football facility’s lately being built you would understand we need to catch up with the other‘s, especially if you have had the chance and seen Northwestern football facility over looking Lake Michigan..

I can’t say that I have seen Penn St, Michigan,Sparty’s or Purdue but i’ve seen quote of the others in the conference...

IIRC he was the one a couple years ago that said he was impressed with Nebraska’s practices prior to the season
We all know how that turned out
I think I’ll take his comments with a mountain of salt

Reactions: scarletred
McDonalds 'bag o cash' is prob cheaper and more effective use of those facility funds.

gerry dinardo is a know-nothing old coot who should've been jobless the day after he was hired

Well said, I also believe quality facilities likely lead to overall good impressions when recruits begin weighing the teams they really could see themselves playing for. Recruiting is sales, It’s never a bad thing when you have as many positives to sell as possible.

Good point..And Oklahoma new football facility is one of the best I’ve seen onYouTube..
i know this is stupid to say but i can't help but think about how much money is spent at OU on football and how nice the facilities are and how much they pay their coaches. And how much greater all those football related things are at OU than the education they offer young people.
i'm sure the campus is fine and residential housing is fine. But not extravagant like the football counterparts.
The education is not ranked in the top 100. Their grads earn a lower than average starting salary.
I just think its kinda weird about our priorities.
Thats why i think its probably time to separate college sports from the college experience.
they are no longer intertwined or connected.
one could argue NEB is a little like this too. Famous for facilities and athletic revenues but last place in educational ranking in the league.
not sure why this kinda bothers me except for the obvious overspending on football by institutions that are offering below average results on the education side. they aren't treated equally so why do we insist they stay together?
tear it up and turn into minor league football. I'm finally ready

Perhaps those new facilities won’t make a difference. Guess the donors should have consulted Gerry first.
We'd be much better off buying new coaches than a new facility. A $150 million facility isn't going to make a damn bit of difference if we keep going sub-.500.

Reactions: jmliehr
I’m not disagreeing with you on this but if you have seen some of these other football facility’s lately being built you would understand we need to catch up with the other‘s, especially if you have had the chance and seen Northwestern football facility over looking Lake Michigan..

I can’t say that I have seen Penn St, Michigan,Sparty’s or Purdue but i’ve seen quote of the others in the conference...

His argument actually involved Northwestern. They have upgraded their facilities tremendously and their recruiting has remained stagnant (from a class rankings standpoint).

Personally I think Dinardo is jumping the gun a bit. Their football facility is only two years old (with one cycle not permitting kids on campus).

His argument actually involved Northwestern. They have upgraded their facilities tremendously and their recruiting has remained stagnant (from a class rankings standpoint).

Personally I think Dinardo is jumping the gun a bit. Their football facility is only two years old (with one cycle not permitting kids on campus).

They also take kids with higher end academic grades too..

Perhaps those new facilities won’t make a difference. Guess the donors should have consulted Gerry first.
LOL, Dinardo is such an expert on winning teams and recruiting. I'm sure he understands the minds of high school kids perfectly. Laughing

LOL, Dinardo is such an expert on winning teams and recruiting. I'm sure he understands the minds of high school kids perfectly. Laughing

Exactly.. Go watch the video on YouTube when the Illinois players where allowed to see their new facilities for the very first time..

Then tell me how new facility’s don’t matter to recruits..

Well said, I also believe quality facilities likely lead to overall good impressions when recruits begin weighing the teams they really could see themselves playing for. Recruiting is sales, It’s never a bad thing when you have as many positives to sell as possible.
[/Q
Exactly.. Go watch the video on YouTube when the Illinois players where allowed to see their new facilities for the very first time..

Then tell me how new facility’s don’t matter to recruits..
their coach got fired so maybe they didn’t play hard enough. Maybe they were focused on facilities too much instead of good football.

I would rather they commit because they want to be here rather than they

their coach got fired so maybe they didn’t play hard enough. Maybe they were focused on facilities too much instead of good football.

Get a clue!

Sometimes I think DiNardo must have naked pictures of Big Ten Execs hidden in a drawer somewhere. His ability to remain employed is a head scratcher.

As was said earlier winning begets facilities.
Did Clemson have top notch facilities before they started winning? Were Alabama’s facilities the talk of the college football world before Nick Saban started winning Alabama titles again?

Big money donors invest in winners. If Northwestern was continuing to be 5-7 one year and 3-8 the next, with an occasional bowl trip, no one is spending what they spent on facilities.

If Frost is able to turn the corner this year, I bet those Nebraska facility upgrades get pushed up the agenda, if we have another 4 or 5 win season, the upgrades will be tabled because of the “economy” or something else non football related

As was said earlier winning begets facilities.
Did Clemson have top notch facilities before they started winning? Were Alabama’s facilities the talk of the college football world before Nick Saban started winning Alabama titles again?

Big money donors invest in winners. If Northwestern was continuing to be 5-7 one year and 3-8 the next, with an occasional bowl trip, no one is spending what they spent on facilities.

If Frost is able to turn the corner this year, I bet those Nebraska facility upgrades get pushed up the agenda, if we have another 4 or 5 win season, the upgrades will be tabled because of the “economy” or something else non football related
IMO, Nebraska needs to spend the money now because Joe is going to try to inflate our way out of the fiscal mess all of the spending is going to cause. They have no choice and the $ today is going to buy a lot more than next year.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT