ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia NIL law....University gets most of $$

Let them pay back the value of the scholarship I say.

Quarter million gift for one's future should be appreciated, not scorned.

My take from Alaska.

do you consider your salary + benefits a 'gift', as well?

these athletes aren't given anything. it's earned.

do you consider your salary + benefits a 'gift', as well?

these athletes aren't given anything. it's earned.

I tend to offset this against their scholarship.

Better yet, end athletic scholarships if that is not gift enough.

College education is valuable. If you come to xyz college on scholarship, be grateful, not scornful.

Wish I had been given a free education at Nebraska, or anywhere.

NIL will end College Football as we know it. Maybe for a good reason?

• Haha
Reactions: CameronKrazie86
I tend to offset this against their scholarship.

Better yet, end athletic scholarships if that is not gift enough.

College education is valuable. If you come to xyz college on scholarship, be grateful, not scornful.

Wish I had been given a free education at Nebraska, or anywhere.

NIL will end College Football as we know it. Maybe for a good reason?
nobody is given free anything. it's all earned.

60+ hours/week working. risking mind and body daily.

if somebody told you to work yourself to the bone for $60k/year, then another company said do it for $65k/year, would you be scorning your former employer by taking a better opportunity?

the only thing that should be put to an end is this line of thinking, and, yes, that's for a very good reason.

if somebody told you to work yourself to the bone for $60k/year, then another company said do it for $65k/year, would you be scorning your former employer by taking a better opportunity?

the only thing that should be put to an end is this line of thinking, and, yes, that's for a very good reason.

Disagree, but respect your opinion.

The law Georgia passed is interesting, we will see where this ends up.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I guess we're pretending full rides don't have any value anymore? Sweet.

OK then let's do this. If we're going to start paying athletes then they need to start filing taxes on that money, and the value of the scholly, and room and board. If they want to do this let's let's place a value on all their food, room and board, scholly value, whatever they get paid on top of that, books, tutoring from the University, the whole deal. Treat em as independent contractors and let them pay taxes on it. If they leave and haven't paid their taxes, can't join another program without signing a garnishment of wages form first.

If they did all that, then I'm all in on this.

I guess we're pretending full rides don't have any value anymore? Sweet.

OK then let's do this. If we're going to start paying athletes then they need to start filing taxes on that money, and the value of the scholly, and room and board. If they want to do this let's let's place a value on all their food, room and board, scholly value, whatever they get paid on top of that, books, tutoring from the University, the whole deal. Treat em as independent contractors and let them pay taxes on it. If they leave and haven't paid their taxes, can't join another program without signing a garnishment of wages form first.

If they did all that, then I'm all in on this.
they will pay taxes on what they earn from NIL allowances (obviously)

they won't pay taxes on the value of their education, however, because literally nobody does. student loans are tax exempt, and tuition payments are write offs

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
they will pay taxes on what they earn from NIL allowances (obviously)

they won't pay taxes on the value of their education, however, because literally nobody does. student loans are tax exempt, and tuition payments are write offs

So you tacitly admit education scholarships have value.
We do agree there.

$250,000 for a full ride. That is highly valuable to most.

So you tacitly admit education scholarships have value.
We do agree there.

$250,000 for a full ride. That is highly valuable to most.
of course they have value.

so does the work exchanged for it. in most cases, players' collective work is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 50x the value of the academic scholarship to the university.

quite the racket.

so does the work exchanged for it. in most cases, players' collective work is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 50x the value of the academic scholarship to the university.

quite the racket.

I make the company I work for thousands of dollars a day. I am paid a few hundred for my effort. Is that a racket to?

Reactions: Spectrumalaska

quite the racket.

A doctoral candidate that discovers something new and valuable cedes their discovery to the institution, I belive.
Why is value added through athletics for same institution somehow different?

Adrian Martinez, regardless of what we think of him as a QB has performed exemplarly as a student. 3.5 years and graduate. Now grad school. Student athlete he is. Good QB he is not.

It may well be time to end the athletic scholarships if we head down the path of payment on top of a quarter million dollar gift.

I make the company I work for thousands of dollars a day. I am paid a few hundred for my effort. Is that a racket to?
you are compensated in an open market, protected by myriad laws, where you may find your own alternative options if you'd like.

such an environment doesn't exist for college football players (though it absolutely does for coaches/admins).

if you'd like to make this argument in good faith, feel free to do so. I believe the parallels will, indeed, point to the 'amateurism' of college sports being archaic and lacking even the most basic of opportunities a simple worker enjoys daily.

fair compensation for labor is a pretty basic tenant of society. it's nice to see collegiate athletes finally getting the chance to take a bite out of the apple, the tree from which has been fertilized by decades of blood/sweat in exchange for something less than what they've been worth.

I don't think there is a single point on this subject that hasn't been hashed, hashed, and rehashed a thousand times and I doubt anyone's minds are getting changed at this point. I know mine ain't anyway, but I think this is a very bad idea.

I don't think there is a single point on this subject that hasn't been hashed, hashed, and rehashed a thousand times and I doubt anyone's minds are getting changed at this point. I know mine ain't anyway, but I think this is a very bad idea.
I don't see anything changing

any change should be a step toward the light in attempting to level an insanely slanted playing field

college football is, and has long been, the most predictable outcome sport going

the exact same 3 teams compete in the playoffs every single season

But since the scholarship is given on the day they sign on the dotted line. They haven’t earned anything. It’s all based on projections. They are rewarded with a free ride before they even step on the field. Now they may or may not earn it. But it’s damn sure a gift.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
But since the scholarship is given on the day they sign on the dotted line. They haven’t earned anything. It’s all based on projections. They are rewarded with a free ride before they even step on the field. Now they may or may not earn it. But it’s damn sure a gift.
So those kids are picked at random?

Or have they been working their entire lives to put themselves in a position to possibly help a football program continue to generate 8+ figures?

Lot of teeny tiny brains showing their asses in this thread!

Reactions: anon_qczsdwtnv6esw
So those kids are picked at random?

Or have they been working their entire lives to put themselves in a position to possibly help a football program continue to generate 8+ figures?

Lot of teeny tiny brains showing their asses in this thread!

I saw some really good points made by a few posters and zero insults, until your last post.

I saw some really good points made by a few posters and zero insults, until your last post.
well, feel free to ignore my really good point and focus on the insult

sticks & stones can break our bones but words are the most hurtful

it's the American way, after all!

Anything that has to do with Georgia and recruiting or $$ in general...

58on1p.jpg

They have set time they can practice.

Nowhere near 60 hour

• Haha
nutrition, fitness, recovery, practice, film study, sleep hygiene, etc

literally 95% of the day is focused on bettering performance

duped? by some old coot moron with no clue about which he speaks?

I think not
Jeans, he has you here. I spent the last 21 years working in the college sports business. If you think any team -- any team -- complies with the 20 per week rule (it's called countable athletically related activities) you're in a fairy land. Through the years, my own thoughts on this issue have evolved. There was a time when a full scholarship (tuition, room, board, books, fees) plus the adulation that comes to these kids was a fair trade for what they brought to the school.

That began to end in the late 80s and early 90s, as the effects of the landmark 1984 US Supreme Court ruling taking TV rights away from the NCAA and putting them back in the hands of the individual schools (ultimately, the conferences) were felt. That's when the TV money began to get huge and schools began raking in huge windfalls. Fast forward 20, 25, 30 years and you have facilities arms races and multi-multi-million dollar coaches, yet the kids -- the ones who generate all that money -- are still receiving tuition, room, board, books and fees (and some cost of full attendance $). I do not discount the full scholarship, especially at an expensive place like Stanford, for instance, but when you compare the money coming in to what the kids get, it is not much more than a pittance. They put easily 40 or more hours weekly into their craft, they get concussions and other physical ailments that may not show up for years and, bottom line, that coach would not be making 5 million, and that new building would not be built, if not for the money the kids are generating.

The US Supreme Court should rule on the Alston case as early as next month. There are also seven (I think 7) bills on this topic working their way through Congress, and some states have passed laws allowing kids to profit off their names, image and likeness that go into effect as soon as this summer. Will this fundamentally change college athletics? I believe it will, and I may not like all the changes that occur (we're seeing the effects of the more liberal transfer rules already). But these kids deserve a far bigger piece of the pie than what they've historically had, and they deserve some autonomy in the process. I say pay 'em

nutrition, fitness, recovery, practice, film study, sleep hygiene, etc

literally 95% of the day is focused on bettering performance

duped? by some old coot moron with no clue about which he speaks?

I think not
So laying in bed and eating counts?

All the sstudents do that..lol

You weren't a college athlete were you?

Jeans, he has you here. I spent the last 21 years working in the college sports business. If you think any team -- any team -- complies with the 20 per week rule (it's called countable athletically related activities) you're in a fairy land. Through the years, my own thoughts on this issue have evolved. There was a time when a full scholarship (tuition, room, board, books, fees) plus the adulation that comes to these kids was a fair trade for what they brought to the school.

That began to end in the late 80s and early 90s, as the effects of the landmark 1984 US Supreme Court ruling taking TV rights away from the NCAA and putting them back in the hands of the individual schools (ultimately, the conferences) were felt. That's when the TV money began to get huge and schools began raking in huge windfalls. Fast forward 20, 25, 30 years and you have facilities arms races and multi-multi-million dollar coaches, yet the kids -- the ones who generate all that money -- are still receiving tuition, room, board, books and fees (and some cost of full attendance $). I do not discount the full scholarship, especially at an expensive place like Stanford, for instance, but when you compare the money coming in to what the kids get, it is not much more than a pittance. They put easily 40 or more hours weekly into their craft, they get concussions and other physical ailments that may not show up for years and, bottom line, that coach would not be making 5 million, and that new building would not be built, if not for the money the kids are generating.

The US Supreme Court should rule on the Alston case as early as next month. There are also seven (I think 7) bills on this topic working their way through Congress, and some states have passed laws allowing kids to profit off their names, image and likeness that go into effect as soon as this summer. Will this fundamentally change college athletics? I believe it will, and I may not like all the changes that occur (we're seeing the effects of the more liberal transfer rules already). But these kids deserve a far bigger piece of the pie than what they've historically had, and they deserve some autonomy in the process. I say pay 'em
Not all players spend as much time s you think.

There are students working 40 hours a week and still have to pay for their tuition books and housing and eat dirt food. Pay for insurance and tutors.

The athletes can do the same.

Spare me

You have to practice 8 hours a day to reach 40 hours

Lmao.
You just keep showing your ignorance. They don't practice 8 hours daily, but you better believe they engage in "countable athletically related activities" (the term in NCAA Bylaw 17) that much and more. That includes film, training room, training table and anything else coaches make them do and "suggest" they do. All those activities combined are not supposed to exceed 4 hours daily. Heck, it takes most of an hour to tape some kids.

Of course other students have to work long hours and pay for their own books. And if 90,000 and a national television audience were watching them bag those groceries, I would also feel that they'd be entitled to some of that TV money. Quit confusing the issue. If you don't think they should be allowed to market themselves, great. After over 20 years working in the business and dealing with college athletes daily, I happen to think they should have that opportunity.

Some of you are lost, big time. High school football players, at schools that take football seriously, spend 5 hours a day doing football things, in season.

D1 FB players, in season, leave their dorm/apt at 6am(ish) and are not back home until 8-9pm.

Also, why do any of you give a **** if they get compensated for their name? Weridos.

You just keep showing your ignorance. They don't practice 8 hours daily, but you better believe they engage in "countable athletically related activities" (the term in NCAA Bylaw 17) that much and more. That includes film, training room, training table and anything else coaches make them do and "suggest" they do. All those activities combined are not supposed to exceed 4 hours daily. Heck, it takes most of an hour to tape some kids.

Of course other students have to work long hours and pay for their own books. And if 90,000 and a national television audience were watching them bag those groceries, I would also feel that they'd be entitled to some of that TV money. Quit confusing the issue. If you don't think they should be allowed to market themselves, great. After over 20 years working in the business and dealing with college athletes daily, I happen to think they should have that opportunity.
I've done it before save your argument

They dont do that all year or within season.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT