ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia

I guess I am used to AM looking indecisive all the time, and today he wasn’t that guy. To say he didn’t play well I think is an overstatement, considering what I’ve seen out of him since the beginning of his sophomore year.

Clearly he wasn’t that guy... so he didn’t find all the open receivers. He also didn’t throw any interceptions, completed 85% of his passes, and ran for good yardage against a good defense. He played well enough, in my opinion.
Agreed.

Jonathan Smith was a Washington Assistant who took over the Oregon St job in 2018. Like Frost he was a former QB for Oregon St and also like Frost his three year record is not good, 9-19. Unlike Frost he makes $2.4m/yr and his team seems to be getting progressively better as time goes on. He was 2-10 his first year, 5-7 last year and is now 2-2 this year with his win tonight over 15th ranked Oregon. Also unlike Frost, his teams play solid fundamental football (at least the games I watched last year and this) and the losses they have seem to be due to a talent gap, not a coaching gap.

$2.4m/yr is around what Frost should be getting paid right now. Most would kill to get paid a fraction of that to learn on the job.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Frost needs to give Smothers some snaps ASAP IMO, not to start Smothers or expect miracles but just to see if he's going to have any talent to cut the mustard. We need to know ASAP so Frost can go out and recruit a talented QB if Smothers ain't it. So far Frost has been shooting blanks in QB recruiting at Nebraska.
I think Smothers may not be healthy enough to play this year.

Clearly he wasn’t that guy... so he didn’t find all the open receivers. He also didn’t throw any interceptions, completed 85% of his passes, and ran for good yardage against a good defense. He played well enough, in my opinion.

Nebraska Passing
C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Adrian Martinez18/201748.70079.4
Luke McCaffrey3/5214.20093.7

90%

Luke had a higher QBR ... and the guy who won the game had the lowest QBR @ 61.3

Math was never my strong suit

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Huskers blow and Frost has nobody to blame but himself

fn iowa owns us

it’s bullshit

I agree with your assessment of his play. The difference is you’re satisfied with it.

Our defense played about as well as they could possibly play, the opposing QB sucked ass, yet we still lost to an okay team. Nobody should be satisfied with Martinez’s play or the ability of our coaches to develop QBs.
For sure, he has lowered the bar for what I expect a QB to play like, which made today more palatable.

I do wonder if he would have gone with Martinez for the entire game how it would have ended. Luke didn’t look bad, but I am curious to see if we would have scored a little more. I know we got 2 field goals with Luke, but could we have gotten a TD out of one of those drives?

Not that it would have changed anything, I guess...

For sure, he has lowered the bar for what I expect a QB to play like, which made today more palatable.

I do wonder if he would have gone with Martinez for the entire game how it would have ended. Luke didn’t look bad, but I am curious to see if we would have scored a little more. I know we got 2 field goals with Luke, but could we have gotten a TD out of one of those drives?

Not that it would have changed anything, I guess...
It would have been nice to have seen both on the field at the same time for at least a few plays.

Nebraska Passing
C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR

90%

Luke had a higher QBR ... and the guy who won the game had the lowest QBR @ 61.3

I was gonna post this— we’re happy with QB’s throwing less than 200 yds despite a high %, only 1 WR with more than 2 catches (Wandale the man w/ 9, for only 75, TE Vokolek had 3, Falk 2 catches for 22 yds).
No one rushed for even 50 yds (Wandale the man -and Luke tied with 42).
We were held scoreless in 2 out of 4 quarters.

That makes it look like Wandale the man is the only baller we got, and the rest is typical low level, national ranking between 60-100 in all relevant stat categories.

Nothing is impressive offensively other than Wandale playing tough and “not getting blown out.”.

Agree 2 played well today. Before he gets the ball he is probably wandering “where is this snap going to be?” His o line is atrocious and majority of the receivers are average at best. Cade Warner would not play at any other B1G school.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Heck of a game. Hopefully Gebbia's injury isn't too bad. Quite the exciting finish - down to the last seconds with a new qb scoring the winning td.

Gebbia looked like trash the first few games but Smith will develop him.

Avery Roberts on the other hand looks like a beast. He had too much speed for Frost/Ruud. The talent evaluation and development is at an all time low in this program.

Avery Roberts on the other hand looks like a beast. He had too much speed for Frost/Ruud. The talent evaluation and development is at an all time low in this program.
Gebbia does not have a strong arm, but he is accurate. I saw him at the CWS a few years ago. Looked about 6 foot and 180. We may overvalue arm strength. Id rather have a Reesling or Ganz over a guy that has a cannon but little in the way of football smarts.

Frost needs to give Smothers some snaps ASAP IMO, not to start Smothers or expect miracles but just to see if he's going to have any talent to cut the mustard. We need to know ASAP so Frost can go out and recruit a talented QB if Smothers ain't it. So far Frost has been shooting blanks in QB recruiting at Nebraska.
Frost recruits qb that are athletes. Smothers is an excellent athlete. I don't see him as an above average passer. Just what I gathered from watching film. He is fast.

He was lazy if I recall from many on here. He was "part of the problem".... 😂

Reactions: oldjar07
Gebbia does not have a strong arm, but he is accurate. I saw him at the CWS a few years ago. Looked about 6 foot and 180. We may overvalue arm strength. Id rather have a Reesling or Ganz over a guy that has a cannon but little in the way of football smarts.
Especially if we gonna run West coast stuff...

Nebraska Passing
C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR

90%

That's because our quarterbacks can't make a downfield pass or go through a progression read. The only reason the completion percentage is so high is they are all screen passes.

Last edited:
$2.4m/yr is around what Frost should be getting paid right now. Most would kill to get paid a fraction of that to learn on the job.

Loved this post until you Frost is learning in the job. Frost is a “slow blinker”

It would have been nice to have seen both on the field at the same time for at least a few plays.
Should have been the whole game. It would take a tremendous amount of pressure off Martinez if he had a really good playmaker on the field with him in McCaffrey.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
That's because our quarterbacks can't make a downfield pass or go through a progression read. The only reason the completion percentage is so high is they are all screen passes.

Other teams don’t have screen plays?

Other teams don’t have screen plays?
They don't run them at nearly the rate we do. That's our whole offense. I would rather take a 50% completion rate and hit a couple long bombs or so than a 90% completion rate on nothing but screen passes that don't stretch the defense out.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
They don't run them at nearly the rate we do. That's our whole offense. I would rather take a 50% completion rate and hit a couple long bombs or so than a 90% completion rate on nothing but screen passes that don't stretch the defense out.

Fair enough. Good point and appreciate your opinion.

Reactions: oldjar07
We need to know? Why? Frost already knows, he sees him at practice every day! Either he isn’t ready mentally or physically. Or Scott doesn’t think he’s any good! Why throw him in if he isn’t ready? Only bad things can happen.

ADVERTISEMENT