ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia

He was one of those soft Riley kids that wasn’t tough enough for Frostyball, right?

Nahh... he just lost the starting job to Adrian's athletic upside and didn't want to sit. This was the departure that made the most sense all the way around. Highly rated QBs don't wait their turn anymore.

Reactions: TerranPetteway
Adrian looked good today, but couldn’t overcome bad snaps and the blocking issues. If he plays like this the rest of the season, you can see why Frost went with Adrian.

But that’s a big IF.

uh no. Gebbia is a much better QB than Adrian will ever be

Not saying Martinez is the better QB. Just saying he played well today, and he also played well as a freshman. If he can keep up his level of play, it makes Frost’s decision more understandable.

Martinez was efficient today I’ll give him that. He made 2-3 really good throws. The rest of his throws were very easy throws that should have a very high completion % (swing pass to receiver, RB out of backfield, etc.).

Another positive is he didn’t turn it over.

He’s a game manager at best imo

Martinez was efficient today I’ll give him that. He made 2-3 really good throws. The rest of his throws were very easy throws that should have a very high completion % (swing pass to receiver, RB out of backfield, etc.).

Another positive is he didn’t turn it over.

He’s a game manager at best imo
I don’t disagree. I was encouraged by the downfield throws. That’s something Luke has really struggled with.

We can only hope this is the light bulb turning on.

Not saying Martinez is the better QB. Just saying he played well today, and he also played well as a freshman. If he can keep up his level of play, it makes Frost’s decision more understandable.
He did not play well. Line gave him plenty of time on a number of drop backs and he was afraid to pull the trigger. They showed a few replays of guys running wide open on those plays.

Just because he didn’t throw any egregious interceptions doesn’t mean he displayed good QB play.

“No fear of failure.”
- Scott Fraud

I'm happy for Gebbia if he does well. Unfortunately though it's a mute point since he's not in Lincoln and we stink up the field.

He did not play well. Line gave him plenty of time on a number of drop backs and he was afraid to pull the trigger. They showed a few replays of guys running wide open on those plays.

Just because he didn’t throw any egregious interceptions doesn’t mean he displayed good QB play.

“No fear of failure.”
- Scott Fraud
I guess I am used to AM looking indecisive all the time, and today he wasn’t that guy. To say he didn’t play well I think is an overstatement, considering what I’ve seen out of him since the beginning of his sophomore year.

Clearly he wasn’t that guy... so he didn’t find all the open receivers. He also didn’t throw any interceptions, completed 85% of his passes, and ran for good yardage against a good defense. He played well enough, in my opinion.

Oregon State is better than Nebraska
Jonathan Smith was a Washington Assistant who took over the Oregon St job in 2018. Like Frost he was a former QB for Oregon St and also like Frost his three year record is not good, 9-19. Unlike Frost he makes $2.4m/yr and his team seems to be getting progressively better as time goes on. He was 2-10 his first year, 5-7 last year and is now 2-2 this year with his win tonight over 15th ranked Oregon. Also unlike Frost, his teams play solid fundamental football (at least the games I watched last year and this) and the losses they have seem to be due to a talent gap, not a coaching gap.

I guess I am used to AM looking indecisive all the time, and today he wasn’t that guy. To say he didn’t play well I think is an overstatement, considering what I’ve seen out of him since the beginning of his sophomore year.

Clearly he wasn’t that guy... so he didn’t find all the open receivers. He also didn’t throw any interceptions, completed 85% of his passes, and ran for good yardage against a good defense. He played well enough, in my opinion.
I agree with your assessment of his play. The difference is you’re satisfied with it.

Our defense played about as well as they could possibly play, the opposing QB sucked ass, yet we still lost to an okay team. Nobody should be satisfied with Martinez’s play or the ability of our coaches to develop QBs.

Frost's talent evaluation skills under serious scrutiny.
Frost needs to give Smothers some snaps ASAP IMO, not to start Smothers or expect miracles but just to see if he's going to have any talent to cut the mustard. We need to know ASAP so Frost can go out and recruit a talented QB if Smothers ain't it. So far Frost has been shooting blanks in QB recruiting at Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT