ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

His biggest mistake was no transfers coming in. Even if TG stays he has two QBs on the roster under scholarship (both Freshman). That's absurd to be honest.

Lots of splitting hairs right now about what went down and how Frost handled telling TG the news, but I still think it boils down to the fact that flat out TG thinks he is the better qb and had proven it during this time. DANA can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also pretty telling when quite a few players that were there every day thinks the same thing.
Wait, the players didn't get a vote? Are you telling me the consensus for AM was ONLY among the coaching staff? Holy Smokes! Tom better get down there tomorrow and get Frost straightened out.

I think you are petty. You know nothing, but have plenty of opinion. That is your right, but I will call out boorish behavior when I see it.
I’m not petty. I have been around many people who are successful in their careers and most of them make it because others can rely on them. Sometimes you need to do what is right ... not what’s best for you. He had three years to play down the road. Who knows .. he might have ended up startin* here.

Already am. Tired of every thread being about something you can't control. Its also taking focus off how hard the team has worked and the fact we are starting a true freshman for first time in NU history. Exciting times.

Frankly isn't everything out of our control when you really stop to think about it? just sayin

We may be fine this year with just one scholarship QB. The staff knew what they did or didn’t have at QB after spring ball and played their cards accordingly. Let the staff coach and the season play out - no excuses for lost games due to not having a game ready QB or lack of QB depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
Frost was a fair bit blindsided about this, and he's basically admitted as much. Saying if he knew, he might have handled it differently. He also made some comment about he wasn't really expecting to be in a position where he'd have his third team guy be a true frosh walk-on from some small school Nebraska.

You don't think Frost tried to control where Gebbia could transfer? I will give you a clue semester and quarters. Remember when your Dad told you,"your'e not as smart as you think you are." Frost took a whole lot of conferences out of the equation as far as transfer destinations.

edit- I'm not as smart as I think I am either.
Frost isn't limiting Gebbia to quarter system schools. The timing is limiting him to quarters-system schools. Most colleges on a quarter system have yet to start classes, allowing Gebbia a little bit of time to find a new spot that fits. It just so happens that the Pac-12 has a lot of schools that use quarters instead of semesters.

As far as we know, there are no conditions to Gebbia's release. The quarters vs. semesters issue isn't controlled by Frost. In fact, Frost has commented that he's frustrated by the gap, allowing a sort of slight advantage to quarter-system schools allowing them a later deadline to take transfers.

2grzm8.gif

The reality is this...

the world moves quickly. If you think about it, there's a ton of pressure on kids these days to pre-plan everything. Not take life as it comes. You have to start looking at colleges and hitting the college resume pretty hard before you can reliably find your way to the HS cafeteria.

When you finally get to said college, you've had about 2.5 months between making out with the prom queen and checking into your dorm to pick what major you want to do for the rest of your life. And it really sucks to be wrong, because then you are a 6th or 7th year senior interviewing with companies who hired most of your peer group 2-4 years ago depending on how early they found them in the college internship process.

Then you have a guy like Gebbia who has all that, and the tools to know that he has a legitimate shot to be someone on the football field, if he can find the right place to peddle his wares. Considering QB's suck at most schools, he has a legit shot to play somewhere.

It'd be a great disservice to the kid, whether he was mine or someone else's, to tell him to stand on the sideline and be happy wearing a Husker hat like he's some lifelong fan who won the lottery or some plucky walk-on who's just happy to smell the locker room after playing 8 man football somewhere.

I get it, this is the team we love, and we're all overweight and a good chunk of you swear that it wasn't for that shoulder or knee injury you'd all be Navy SEALs or D1 prospects, even though the odds are none of us were any better than 4th team All Metro somewhere if we played at all. For us, what Gebbia has is a pretty good gig. For him, its a waste of time.

So you are going to make a life changing decision based upon the fact that the coach with whom you spend the most time told you the decision and not the head coach?

Don't you think his possible next coach is going to ask him, "Tristan, why did you decide to leave Nebraska." If he says, "Because Verduzco gave me the results of the qb competition and not Frost," I'm guessing the coach will have to pick his jaw up off the floor. After he does so he will point to his qb coach who will say, "I'm sorry but we can't take anyone else."
You missed the part where I mentioned the possibility that Frost said he'd be the one telling Gebbia & Martinez and he ended up not doing what he said he would do.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Eventually Gebbia is going to have to learn to trust in his abilities or be retired from football. He either moved because the system doesn't fit him or he didn't think he got a fair shake. Hopefully he gets into a system that fits him...I think Washington State would be a great fit. But he is going to have to win a starting job and likely won't find an easier situation than a true freshman starting his first game. Expecting to start as a red shirt freshman is still an entitled position...hopefully all goes well for him. Him leaving lets Bunch, a guy who won't transfer, have more reps. Who even knows if Bunch was that far behind Gebbia...they looked even in the spring game. A smart coach would push Bunch to 3rd, knowing he won't transfer and try to keep Gebbia for depth.

Reactions: HuskerO
You missed the part where I mentioned the possibility that Frost said he'd be the one telling Gebbia & Martinez and he ended up not doing what he said he would do.
OK. Add that in. That is still no reason to make a life changing decision! "Allegedly" this was said around the start of fall camp. Frankly, it is such a minor issue that Frost probably forgot about it.

Frost also said Mckenzie Milton played like trash in a scrimmage last year and Vedral was awesome and efficient in the same scrimmage. Well Milton was a top 3 qb in the nation. Everyone close to the situation knew why Gebbia was at NU in the first place(Langsdorf), that he was a pro-style Qb without a pro-style body, that everything he did in the offense was harder, less smooth, that he needed leg space to throw, that he was too small to absorb 15 hits a game. But...Amart is a true frosh, and if there was anyway to start Gebbia they would entertain it. Well there wasn't and we hope Gebbia enjoys his time at a PAC 10 school.

Great post. You answered alot of my questions. Thank you.

Eventually Gebbia is going to have to learn to trust in his abilities or be retired from football. He either moved because the system doesn't fit him or he didn't think he got a fair shake. Hopefully he gets into a system that fits him...I think Washington State would be a great fit. But he is going to have to win a starting job and likely won't find an easier situation than a true freshman starting his first game. Expecting to start as a red shirt freshman is still an entitled position...hopefully all goes well for him. Him leaving lets Bunch, a guy who won't transfer, have more reps. Who even knows if Bunch was that far behind Gebbia...they looked even in the spring game. A smart coach would push Bunch to 3rd, knowing he won't transfer and try to keep Gebbia for depth.

Why is it only one of those 2 possibilities? Why cant it be that he didn't want to be a career backup?

I can promise you Gebbia trusts his abilities, this was never about that.

I don't think he needs to transfer to a school that will guarantee him a starting spot in 2019, he just needs to find a spot with a junior or senior starter in 2018, so that he can compete for the job in 2019 or 2020.

The conspiracy stuff is funny to me. Why would Frost bump the 2nd best guy down just to keep the 3rd best QB from leaving? That just makes no sense at all.

You are right, there are some differences with these transfers. Noah transferred right away because he knew he wouldn't ever win the job at UCF, that came from Scott's own mouth. Tre Neal transferred as soon as he graduated because he wouldn't start, again from Scott's own mouth. Tristan just found out 3 days ago that he wouldn't be the starter, with only 2 days left to decide if he wanted to drop classes and move on. He had little bearing on when the decision was made.

As I recall many on this board said Tristan was to small to take the pounding and not athletic enough to be a threat in the run game. Now many of those same posters are the ones who are angry that he hasn't stayed. These same people who didn't even want Tristan to win the starting job, only want him here as an insurance policy in case Adrian gets hurt. So to these people he is selfish and not a team player, because he won't sacrifice 2 years of his eligibility just to be a backup plan. Does that about cover it?

Eff yea. Great Post.

OK. Add that in. That is still no reason to make a life changing decision! "Allegedly" this was said around the start of fall camp. Frankly, it is such a minor issue that Frost probably forgot about it.
I agree & sorry if I wasn't clear but I don't believe that was the sole reason why Gebbia left. It really had to be a combination of multiple things. The minor ones really could have just piled up.

Then what is it about? Because as a coaching staff we are picking the guy that will win games. Inmates don't run the asylum. Do you think Nick Saban is spending 1 second worrying about what his left guard thinks about the qb competition?
Players don't get to have an opinion for themselves?

Mark it down, first move my Scott Frost that has husker fans dividend.

Best Case Scenario - AM kills it this year, stays healthy all year, and none of us think what could have been with Gebbia

Worst Case Scenario - AM looks like crap and/or gets hurt and the fishbowl starts doubting Scott.

Scott sure didn't take the path of least resistance with this move naming AM the starter. But I love his honesty. Lets hope this turns into a none issue or else we will have a Bunch of problems.

They are both Fr, so not like he picked a true Fr over a 2 year proven starter. If Scott and QB coach and OC think Marinez is the better QB then that is end of story.

Except he is writing stuff that may or may not be true. He is giving you his opinion as if it is factual. Very little of what he wrote can be verified as fact.

Hmmm, I guess, I never took that into consideration. Doesn't make sense for him to fabricate a story. But all kinds of people.. I guess. I'll find out over time.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Hmmm, I guess, I never took that into consideration. Doesn't make sense for him to fabricate a story. But all kinds of people.. I guess. I'll find out over time.

I'm not saying he is fabricating anything. I am just saying he is just giving an opinion on what he thinks happened and will happen.

They are both Fr, so not like he picked a true Fr over a 2 year proven starter. If Scott and QB coach and OC think Marinez is the better QB then that is end of story.
Exactly. I see few if any doubting Frost's decision to start Martinez.

Apparently some are angry that Frost didn't somehow "trap" Gebbia into staying as a backup. Otherwise, the only divide in the fan base I see is between those trashing a 19-year old like a jilted lover and those that think that maybe they should back away from the keyboard and let it go.

Frost isn't limiting Gebbia to quarter system schools. The timing is limiting him to quarters-system schools. Most colleges on a quarter system have yet to start classes, allowing Gebbia a little bit of time to find a new spot that fits. It just so happens that the Pac-12 has a lot of schools that use quarters instead of semesters.

As far as we know, there are no conditions to Gebbia's release. The quarters vs. semesters issue isn't controlled by Frost. In fact, Frost has commented that he's frustrated by the gap, allowing a sort of slight advantage to quarter-system schools allowing them a later deadline to take transfers.

Read my post again, then look at a clock. Then look at the enrollment dates on the institutions for higher learning in the eastern 2/3 of the United States. Were not communists here in the states, but there is a regional (couldn't think of a better word) procedure that has developed to a large extent. Alot of qualifications, I know.

Is ot a word? Why am I corrected to ot? Wtf.

Read my post again, then look at a clock. Then look at the enrollment dates on the institutions for higher learning in the eastern 2/3 of the United States. Were not communists here in the states, but there is a regional (couldn't think of a better word) procedure that has developed to a large extent. Alot of qualifications, I know.

Is ot a word? Why am I corrected to ot? Wtf.
What are you getting on about? Your initial post implied that Frost was intentionally limiting Gebbia's transfer options by only releasing him to quarter system schools.

I'm saying that the calendar is dictating where Gebbia can transfer, not Frost.

I'm not saying he is fabricating anything. I am just saying he is just giving an opinion on what he thinks happened and will happen.

It wasn't presented that way. I like to call things what they are. I will find out over time.

I said Nebraska would beat the Buckeyes. I wouldn't bet on that, but I always think they'll win. There is gray and there is lies. There is hope and there is lies. Thanks for the information. I trust my judgement.

Hate to say it but spoiled rich kid who has had everything handed to him his whole life. Just like Key Jr who has already washed out at Arizona I believe. Don't wanna fight or work if things don't go their way. Peace. Later

He won't seem like some rich kid when he gets to play somewhere and gets knocked around by 300 pound linemen. These kids want to play football while they have chance, while they are young. I thank Tristan and wish him nothing but the best of luck.

What are you getting on about? Your initial post implied that Frost was intentionally limiting Gebbia's transfer options by only releasing him to quarter system schools.

I'm saying that the calendar is dictating where Gebbia can transfer, not Frost.

Who controls the timeline on the decision of the starting quarterback? I am done with our conversation.

Hate to say it but spoiled rich kid who has had everything handed to him his whole life. Just like Key Jr who has already washed out at Arizona I believe. Don't wanna fight or work if things don't go their way. Peace. Later

I agree with this. For the BMI guys, look at Gebbias arms. For the Gebbia guys look at Gebbias arms. He was for himself and that's what today's morals are. I wish him luck, but you will never be a successful without working hard on your weakest trait. Unless you can have surgery to improve it, then you are a Kardashian.

Who controls the timeline on the decision of the starting quarterback? I am done with our conversation.
You can be done all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you're spouting nonsense.

Frost didn't choose when to name the starter based on where Gebbia could transfer to. If he cared that much about controlling Gebbia's transfer, he would have just strung the decision out so he couldn't transfer at all.

Why the need for a conspiracy theory?

You can be done all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you're spouting nonsense.

Frost didn't choose when to name the starter based on where Gebbia could transfer to. If he cared that much about controlling Gebbia's transfer, he would have just strung the decision out so he couldn't transfer at all.

Why the need for a conspiracy theory?

No conspiracy. It's just logic. It doesn't matter. I have no interest in further communication.

GBR

ADVERTISEMENT