ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

But why was it unforeseen? Frost brought a QB with him, they had to know there would be some attrition with a coaching change. Even if Gebbia stays, that’s only 2 scholarship QBs available. As much as I didn’t want a grad transfer like Burrow, or Juco transfer, like Wilson, to muddle things up maybe that was the way to go.
Yeah you and a few others were pretty adamant about that. I didn't see Gebbia transferring this year, especially the way he did, but I always thought we should have taken another qb who could play this year.

By not going to Gebbia and telling him he didn't get the job? Is this really what all this is about. Or is there more to it
My understanding is that it wasn't just because Frost wasnt the one who told Gebbia the news. It's that Frost said he would be the one giving the news in person and then he didn't.

Not sure if true or not but I could see that rubbing Gebbia the wrong way.

Reactions: husker2612
Yeah you and a few others were pretty adamant about that. I didn't see Gebbia transferring this year, especially the way he did, but I always thought we should have taken another qb who could play this year.

I didn’t like Burrow transfer because it had the feeling of a kid that was only going to transfer if he was going to be the for sure starter. While he had some playing time, not much of it was as a starter or even in in crunch time.

As for Wilson, I just didn’t think, and still really don’t think, he is that good. Bunch may be better. IMHO.

Reactions: HuskerDana
But why was it unforeseen? Frost brought a QB with him, they had to know there would be some attrition with a coaching change. Even if Gebbia stays, that’s only 2 scholarship QBs available. As much as I didn’t want a grad transfer like Burrow, or Juco transfer, like Wilson, to muddle things up maybe that was the way to go.
We really should have probably scrambled to find another dual threat body to walk on at the very least in hindsight. Even Bill Callahan found Joey Ganz late in the process. At some point you just have to be sure you have enough bodies. I said when POB left that it was potentially a problem for us depth wise.

Did HC Frost withhold naming a starter to limit Gebbia's transfer destinations? I'm not a practice watcher, and I only had the spring game to go on, but I thought AM would more effectively be able to operate the offense in the spring. I wonder if they were trying to control the situation. Think about the press clippings. Alot ot positive things said about Gebbias decision making and arm. I don't think It was as close as it was portrayed.Not throwing shade. HC Frost has to play chess. He did.

If POB had stayed, would Gebbia have transferred in the spring? I think Gebbia had a plan of attack that was established shortly after Riley was fired.

My understanding is that it wasn't just because Frost wasnt the one who told Gebbia the news. It's that Frost said he would be the one giving the news in person and then he didn't.

Not sure if true or not but I could see that rubbing Gebbia the wrong way.
I believe there's more to it than just that.

We really should have probably scrambled to find another dual threat body to walk on at the very least in hindsight. Even Bill Callahan found Joey Ganz late in the process. At some point you just have to be sure you have enough bodies. I said when POB left that it was potentially a problem for us depth wise.
Maybe they liked Masker to fill that role of dual threat walk on. Although Joe Ganz was an unexpectedly shrewd late pickup by Callahan... Ganz wasn't ready to actually play until several years down the line.

Like who at the time and when should it have happened? Frost had 3 scholarship QBs on the roster when he took over. He brings in AMart and Vedral decides to transfer and goes through the paperwork to qualify this year. You have TL leaving and also POB right before the spring game. With Bunch you have 4 solid QBs and 2019/2020 committing. Who is going to come and play in that situation? A juco? A graduate transfer?

It is easy to say bring some guy in, look at what just happened when they didn't start. Not just QB either. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Maybe they liked Masker to fill that role of dual threat walk on. Although Joe Ganz was an unexpectedly shrewd late pickup by Callahan... Ganz wasn't ready to actually play until several years down the line.
Masker is more pro style than dual threat but he is a big kid. Not particularly mobile I don't think. He better prepare as if he's going to play.

Gebbia stayed in the spring because he was competing to be the starter. POB left after he saw Gebbia and Martinez overtake him on the depth chart.

I don't think POB has anything to do with when Gebbia chose to transfer. Gebbia had already beat him out.

Reactions: red scowl
There are only 3 people that know what was said or not said. So unless you are SF or V's bestest buddy or stalking a kid QB, you are spreading a second or third hand story and are telling tales out of school.

Like who at the time and when should it have happened? Frost had 3 scholarship QBs on the roster when he took over. He brings in AMart and Vedral decides to transfer and goes through the paperwork to qualify this year. You have TL leaving and also POB right before the spring game. With Bunch you have 4 solid QBs and 2019/2020 committing. Who is going to come and play in that situation? A juco? A graduate transfer?

It is easy to say bring some guy in, look at what just happened when they didn't start. Not just QB either. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Again, Oregon State has 6 freshman and sophomore QBs on their roster....I don't know how many are walk ons versus scholarship but I have to think we could have found somebody. I said back before signing day that we should try to get 2 walk on QBs just to be sure we had enough depth to practice effectively with the way Frost wants to run practice.

There are only 3 people that know what was said or not said. So unless you are SF or V's bestest buddy or stalking a kid QB, you are spreading a second or third hand story and are telling tales out of school.
seh6p.gif

Well doesn't a player get 12 days past the academic start to transfer?
So I don't think the timing mattered.
Frost says he would do it differently next time.
But what does that even mean?
Have him start game 1 and then pull the switcharoo the following week?

You don't think Frost tried to control where Gebbia could transfer? I will give you a clue semester and quarters. Remember when your Dad told you,"your'e not as smart as you think you are." Frost took a whole lot of conferences out of the equation as far as transfer destinations.

edit- I'm not as smart as I think I am either.

Last edited:

He will be unable to register in the BIG.

So no one in mind then. We already have 2 walk-on QBs.
2 MORE walk on QBs. So Masker and somebody else.
Exactly. Getting another warm body isnt really the same as having a guy who can compete for the job in case of transfer.
Frost wants 130+ guys to practice. That's roughly 6 full units on both sides of the ball. You probablyneed 6 QBs to run practice the way Frost wants to do it and that's without somebody being injured. Its one of the reasons we see our RB coach throwing passes in drills. We don't have enough QBs on the roster for the total number of players on the roster and Masker isn't a great fit for Frost's offense. We should have tried to get another dual threat walk on IMO. I guarantee you Frost will get one next cycle.

No. People need to actually listen to him speak. He says if he knew someone was going to be leaving, he would have done things differently. In my mind, he is clearly saying that he would have brought in another QB if he knew the guy out of the top two who lost the job was going to leave. My opinion anyways, but I couldn’t take it any other way after listening to him.

and yes, he dropped the ball on this one. I was pushing for Gebbia to be named the starter, eventually work Martinez in and gradually have him take over by B1G conference games. Would have worked brilliantly and still give Gebbia reps during blowouts and a series here and there all while coming up with a backup plan after dropping the news on him AFTER the season. He transfers, we have capable backups and all is well. Young coach will learn how to play the other part of the game soon enough with lessons like the one he got!

Did HC Frost withhold naming a starter to limit Gebbia's transfer destinations? I'm not a practice watcher, and I only had the spring game to go on, but I thought AM would more effectively be able to operate the offense in the spring. I wonder if they were trying to control the situation. Think about the press clippings. Alot ot positive things said about Gebbias decision making and arm. I don't think It was as close as it was portrayed.Not throwing shade. HC Frost has to play chess. He did.
Nobody can answer that for certain, but I certainly thought it was possible.

I don't know exactly what the rule is on the timing, but something was said about certain Universities using a Quarters system, and supposedly coach brought this up too, so because it came out like that, I think there was an element of this to the story.

This is not something one can prove though.

I'm okay with how it was handled by the coaching staff.

There were red flags for me that came up this summer, and so it worked out the best for everyone most likely.

Reactions: red scowl
Whats with conspiracy theories or ulterior motives...why cant it just be that through practice AM and TG were neck and neck and the decision came down to the wire.

Because even in Nebraska, narratives are controlled. Remember Saban and his denying transfers within the conference? Nobody wants to have that look.

Nobody can answer that for certain, but I certainly thought it was possible.

I don't know exactly what the rule is on the timing, but something was said about certain Universities using a Quarters system, and supposedly coach brought this up too, so because it came out like that, I think there was an element of this to the story.

This is not something one can prove though.

I'm okay with how it was handled by the coaching staff.

There were red flags for me that came up this summer, and so it worked out the best for everyone most likely.

I agree with this, but if you around someone everyday you learn their motives and intentions, if you listen. I think Frost was hedging his bet.

I read from a supposed insider, we were not a possible destination for Burrow. Anyone know anything about this?

2 MORE walk on QBs. So Masker and somebody else.

Frost wants 130+ guys to practice. That's roughly 6 full units on both sides of the ball. You probablyneed 6 QBs to run practice the way Frost wants to do it and that's without somebody being injured. Its one of the reasons we see our RB coach throwing passes in drills. We don't have enough QBs on the roster for the total number of players on the roster and Masker isn't a great fit for Frost's offense. We should have tried to get another dual threat walk on IMO. I guarantee you Frost will get one next cycle.

I am not sure that was the point of the conversation though. I think the topic was getting a guy that could compete or be a quality backup in case Gebbia, Martinez and/or POB left.

I am not sure that was the point of the conversation though. I think the topic was getting a hmguy that could compete or be a quality backup in case Gebbia, Martinez and/or POB left.
I had no delusions about finding a guy who was legitimately going to compete for the starting position. You just have to be sure you have enough bodies on the roster to run practice and learn the offense well enough to be able to run it in the event of injury disaster. We're 2 short of that right now.

and yes, he dropped the ball on this one. I was pushing for Gebbia to be named the starter, eventually work Martinez in and gradually have him take over by B1G conference games. Would have worked brilliantly and still give Gebbia reps during blowouts and a series here and there all while coming up with a backup plan after dropping the news on him AFTER the season. He transfers, we have capable backups and all is well. Young coach will learn how to play the other part of the game soon enough with lessons like the one he got!

You were pushing on Gebbia based on what? You liked his name? you like how he looks in a uniform? because he was rated a 4 star quarterback coming out of high school? what? because it certainly isn't based on anything tangible. He may go on to be the greatest quarterback ever, but right now nobody knows how good he is.

"I was pushing for Gebbia to be named the starter"

Who were you pushing? Who are you? You were pushing for the inferior player?

Frost knows how to play the game. He stated in his PC that he preaches love to his players and he would be lying if he didn't support his players in all situations. Do you really think that Frost doesn't understand the politics of this situation? He had a choice...string out the competition in a dishonest manner. Stunt the growth of his best player and screw the future of his backup. Or make a decision to start the best player and risk losing a backup who would likely only ever be at NU for a year more regardless. We were never going to win 10 games...if AM gets hurt we were going to play a guy not fit for the system, who would likely transfer in December anyway. If AM gets hurt we play a guy who will be in the system for 4 more years as a backup. This decision is easy when future is taken into account. Losing 51-21 instead 44-30 to OSU matters not...if AM gets hurt.

Fair point. It's possible that Frost made a pretty big blunder by not anticipating major attrition considering we had three pro-style QBs at the time he took over, but then again, three guys did vacate the position. That has to be some kind of record. Maybe it would have been wise to take a juco like you mentioned just because it's such a vital position?

Looking ahead, I really think the staff needs to be looking hard at QB scholarships for 2019. You add Vedral next year, but we're still looking a bit thin. I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I'm not convinced McCaffrey is going to stick at QB (I think he's a running back). Regardless, I have to think the door is open for another QB.

ADVERTISEMENT