ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

Good and fair post - Him leaving is perfectly reasonable however the timing is not and is unusual or at least I cannot think of many. Leaving at the end of the year certainly leaving a day after being told he is 2nd string is not fair to his school who put faith in him. Anyhow I agree it does not matter - we will be fine

As far as the business analogy if a company was in the middle of an important project most people leaving would tell that company if they want I will stay til completed or a replacement is found

Like I said before.....and even SCOTT FROST HIMSELF admitted today, if things were handled differently, TG would likely still be here. And no, that does NOT mean he would had to be named the starter to stick around.

I think we ALL have to remember, that SF is a very good YOUNG HC. He is going to make mistakes, even TO did. I already like that SF stood up and kind of said what he said. It makes me have even MORE faith in him that he is the guy that can get it done here.

EDIT: ....and pointing out a mistake is in no way bashing him as a coach. The truly great coaches admit what they did wrong and correct it. I think eventually, SF has a better than average chance at being a great one when it is all said and done. We were lucky to get him.

Last edited:
Call me a grumpy old man, but I miss the days where a team sport was really about the team. Anymore you have players giving up and transferring if they don't get the result they want or sitting out of bowl games so as to not risk injury. I get that those may be the individually pragmatic things to do, but I miss the warrior mentality where a player looks at games as going to battle with his brothers and wouldn't think of abandoning them on game week.

Wait - I thought Frost said had they known Gebbia would transfer, they’d have handled things differently. That’s completely different than saying Gebbia would have stayed if they would have handled things differently)

Or just change the rule to say if you transfer after August 15, that the current year cannot be used as the penalty year. No need to mess with how schools credit their classes.
Agree. This doesn't have to be tied to the school year. It's an NCAA decision. Start of the "contract year" is the first day of fall camp for all players who have signed paperwork. Quarters, semesters, etc. shouldn't be factored in.

With Tristan Gebbia leaving, we're left with one scholarship QB, which is a terrible situation, but it's mostly because of the coaching change. If things had gone according to plan, we would have had a senior starter in Tanner Lee backed up by either sophomore Patrick O'Brien or redshirt freshman Tristan Gebbia. Plus, you would have likely had an incoming true freshman to give you plenty of scholarship QBs on the roster. However, given the coaching turnover, we had a player leave early and two transfers. You can attribute a lot of this to a change in offensive scheme.

This is just one of the unforeseen costs in making the coaching change.

Reactions: red-one21
Call me a grumpy old man, but I miss the days where a team sport was really about the team. Anymore you have players giving up and transferring if they don't get the result they want or sitting out of bowl games so as to not risk injury. I get that those may be the individually pragmatic things to do, but I miss the warrior mentality where a player looks at games as going to battle with his brothers and wouldn't think of abandoning them on game week.

It's also very easy to transfer vs. 30 years ago. I think if it was this easy to transfer back in the day, this would have been a lot more prevalent.

Reactions: huskerj12
This is a very weird thread.

1. Football isn't war. Walking away from your buddies doesn't need to be lambasted with expletives. The timing and optics may look bad, but the decision is understandable.

2. Does anyone really think that the Gebbia transfer is because Frost didn't tell him in person? Doesn't it appear to be more than a bit kooky to make a life-changing decision based upon the fact that the coach who spent the most time with you told you about the decision instead of the head coach. Some keep saying, "I know it's true. Don't believe me if you want." OK. I don't believe you, because your scenario is lunacy.

3. There are some players who supposedly don't like the decision. Everyone has an opinion. But if, come Saturday, any player isn't behind the starting quarterback, then Frost needs to let them hit the showers for good. (I know the following has caused issues in football discussion, but it is true.) You don't let the inmates run the asylum.
Verduzco has handled previous situations like this exactly the same way, as in he was the one to deliver the bad news. I think he considers it his responsibility, so ya I'm calling bs on #2.

With Tristan Gebbia leaving, we're left with one scholarship QB, which is a terrible situation, but it's mostly because of the coaching change. If things had gone according to plan, we would have had a senior starter in Tanner Lee backed up by either sophomore Patrick O'Brien or redshirt freshman Tristan Gebbia. Plus, you would have likely had an incoming true freshman to give you plenty of scholarship QBs on the roster. However, given the coaching turnover, we had a player leave early and two transfers. You can attribute a lot of this to a change in offensive scheme.

This is just one of the unforeseen costs in making the coaching change.

But why was it unforeseen? Frost brought a QB with him, they had to know there would be some attrition with a coaching change. Even if Gebbia stays, that’s only 2 scholarship QBs available. As much as I didn’t want a grad transfer like Burrow, or Juco transfer, like Wilson, to muddle things up maybe that was the way to go.

Reactions: red-one21
Verduzco has handled previous situations like this exactly the same way, as in he was the one to deliver the bad news. I think he considers it his responsibility, so ya I'm calling bs on #2.

How many previous situations like this, involving Verduzco, are you familiar with? Truth be told I had never heard of him before he went to UCF. I don’t follow much FCS football. So if he wasn't on Frost’s staff I would have no clue who he was and definitely wouldn’t be at all familiar with how he handled previous QB battles.

I'm a fan of Nebraska. Not Gebbia or Martinez. I never disliked the guy until he treated this team the way he did. And after what he just pulled, he obviously has no respect for Nebraska, the fans, the coaches or his teammates. He didn't even sign up for classes this semester, let alone drop them. The worst part about it is this wasn't a kid who was emotionally hurt that he wasn't a starter and made a rash decision to quit. He had this planned out for awhile now.

Cry me a freaking river Oldfart. You’re embarrassing.

Welcome to the new world of QB recruiting.

Mommy and Daddy are spending thousands - sometimes tens of thousands - of dollars for private coaching, QB camps, counselors, advisors, you name it . . . in hopes that junior is gonna start. You don't take out a 2nd mortgage on the family home with the intention to have junior hold a clipboard for 2 years.

It's entitlement 101 and it stinks but that's how it works now. Recruiting blue chip high school QB's is high stakes poker: don't recruit enough? You're screwed.

Recruit too many? They transfer if they're not behind center in game 1. And if the starter gets hurt . . . you're screwed.

Looking forward to the Game in Lincoln.
This has nothing to do with thousands of dollars or mortgages, TG's family is loaded.

Idk......But he's gone.

I only care about the kids that want to play for Nebraska.

They don't care about us like we like to think they do.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Not to mention, he ate up all that time in our film room and....along with Stille made this team believe he was a hard worker and a leader in the absence of a coach. What a d!ck.
You obviously seem to know much more about this situation than the rest of us. Please fill us in, so we can all be informed on everything that has taken place. It appears from you comments that Frost handled the situation very poorly. Besides him not going to Gebbia directly, Im not sure what else there is.

This has nothing to do with thousands of dollars or mortgages, TG's family is loaded.

Even so . . . this is the current ecosystem. Players - and especially QB's - want to be showcased for pro scouts from jump street. And they'll cross the street - if not the country - to find a place where that can happen. And they'll do it as often as it takes.

Not saying its the kids fault. Not saying its right or wrong. It just is.

Ask Alabama. Nick Saban is sitting on a juggernaut and he's losing starters because of competition.

Reactions: F5Tornado
what is your fixation with other posters love life - are you feeling lonely or something .

* Not applauding it ? really go read the posts -
* Does not hurt our chances this year - come on man you are smarter than that it could have significant impact
* I am sorry you are having trouble with women its ok hang in there it will get better

anyhow enough on this guy I am done with it lets hope martinez is the answer

I am not fixated on other poster’s love life. Just those who act like a broken hearted teenager, whose girlfriend dumped him. Or boyfriend, not that there is anything wrong with that.

- show me a post where someone said great job Tristan.
- he wasn’t going to see the field unless Martinez wasn’t as advertised or got hurt. If he wasn’t as advertised we were screwed anyway because the coaches thought he was better than Gebbia.
- believe me when I tell you I don’t have trouble with women. But thank you for your concern.

rather how he did it. Obviously he had been planning this What bothers me is he showed no concern in how his decision affects our now very thin QB position.U of California had a lot to do with. Good luck to him. What does he do if he doesn't start right away. Just wish he had allowed the other QBs more reps.

There should be nothing surprising about or bothersome to us Husker fans about Gebbia leaving. Sure it would have been nicer if he had transferred last spring. Maybe the coaches could have gotten another Qb. Maybe Bunch would have developed more with additional reps. He did not leave then, but chose to stay and compete for the starting job. good for him. I have not read anywhere that Scott Frost guaranteed him a starting job. I think it has been apparent for sometime now that Martinez was the leading candidate. Almost as soon as it became official that he was not going to start Gebbia chose to leave. For him he obviously thinks he has a better chance of getting more playing time at some other school. Everything that I have read about Gebbia is that he is a smart kid. If this is so than he knows better than anyone that he is not good enough to beat out Martinez.

I think the only "entitled" people here are the fans who expect a 20 year old kid from a completely different part of the country, who was recruited by a completely different staff, and a completely different offense, to stick around and be the back-up when he has better options. The only reason why anyone cares is because it affects the football team we cheer for. It has nothing to do with this kid's future, both as a football player and his professional career. The personal attacks on his character are ridiculous, in my opinion. Have some compassion.

I'm still rooting for the kid to be an impact player at a good school.

Don't forget that all the people gnashing their teeth over this, also welcomed Noah Vedral with open arms. And let's not forget about the safety from UCF, Tre Neal, who transferred here reportedly because he would not have started this year. Also welcomed with open arms.

I am not fixated on other poster’s love life. Just those who act like a broken hearted teenager, whose girlfriend dumped him. Or boyfriend, not that there is anything wrong with that.

- show me a post where someone said great job Tristan.
- he wasn’t going to see the field unless Martinez wasn’t as advertised or got hurt. If he wasn’t as advertised we were screwed anyway because the coaches thought he was better than Gebbia.
- believe me when I tell you I don’t have trouble with women. But thank you for your concern.
Your welcome

Last edited:
How many previous situations like this, involving Verduzco, are you familiar with? Truth be told I had never heard of him before he went to UCF. I don’t follow much FCS football. So if he wasn't on Frost’s staff I would have no clue who he was and definitely wouldn’t be at all familiar with how he handled previous QB battles.
In an article on a rival site, Mario talked about another quarterback battle and how hard it was to inform the "loser". Won't say the name here but it's one of the major recruiting sites. Not hard to find. I just don't buy the "SF didn't tell me personally so I'm gone" bs.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
Don't forget that all the people gnashing their teeth over this, also welcomed Noah Vedral with open arms. And let's not forget about the safety from UCF, Tre Neal, who transferred here reportedly because he would not have started this year. Also welcomed with open arms.
Not sure grad and spring transfers are equivalent to game-week transfers.

Even so . . . this is the current ecosystem. Players - and especially QB's - want to be showcased for pro scouts from jump street. And they'll cross the street - if not the country - to find a place where that can happen. And they'll do it as often as it takes.

Not saying its the kids fault. Not saying its right or wrong. It just is.

Ask Alabama. Nick Saban is sitting on a juggernaut and he's losing starters because of competition.
I agree, just sayin that money is not a factor here.

A coach has to walk a fine line here. You don't want to look like the bad guy, but you also don't want to screw your team. I think Frost has the right to essentially treat these players like employees. They are getting their school paid for, to the tune of what...$30-40K a year, with everything they receive?

I believe he should have allowed the competition to play out through the non-con, and then made his decision, or named Gebbia the starter. That way Gebbia is locked in for the year. A lot of coaches would have done so, and I wouldn't have blamed Frost for doing so.

Scott, thankfully, is first going to do what is best for his players and not what is best for us the fans.

In an article on a rival site, Mario talked about another quarterback battle and how hard it was to inform the "loser". Won't say the name here but it's one of the major recruiting sites. Not hard to find. I just don't buy the "SF didn't tell me personally so I'm gone" bs.

I don’t know if that is why he left or not. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s true. To me, why he left is secondary. He lost the competition and left. I just don’t hold it against him.

Cause they chose to play for Nebraska....he chose to leave.

This isn't rocket science.

Reactions: oldjar07
You obviously seem to know much more about this situation than the rest of us. Please fill us in, so we can all be informed on everything that has taken place. It appears from you comments that Frost handled the situation very poorly. Besides him not going to Gebbia directly, Im not sure what else there is.

2612, you happen to be one of the posters on here that I like reading. Trust me, I am not withholding some bombshell that would paint SF as a complete d-bag, because I do not think that he is. As someone else stated, I probably should have said nothing at all. He is right. I just do not think it is a good idea to say anything further, for Gebbia, Frost, my source, and hell, even the fan base.

I should have dropped it this morning when I said I would, lol. It's just kind of hard to when you still see some bashing the kid.

I think Gebbia was stuck in a catch 22...he was obviously recruited to come to NU to be trained by Lansdorf, who was a quality NFL qb coach. He was not at NU for the brotherhood or the history, or the huskers. His staff in 2017 couldn't care less about those things. Riley has often produced NFL qbs with a 3-9 record. And then his staff is fired and replaced with a team/program oriented coach. A guy who couldn't care less about producing NFL talent but instead training men to trust and love one another to fight for the N on the helmet. So Gebbia had to play the role of a brother, of an invested player in the program, say the right things, so not to expose his true nature of just wanting to jump to the league. And then hours after hearing that he would not be the top dawg he is gone, without a word. I am happy that he can find a mediocre program, with an open qb spot, and maybe a good qb coach to develop him, but sad that he will miss out on the best part of football, NFL and College...the bond and brotherhood formed by competition and struggle. The chances of him making any money in the NFL were always <1%...now he has sold out the most precious part of the game for <1%.

Not sure grad and spring transfers are equivalent to game-week transfers.

You are right, there are some differences with these transfers. Noah transferred right away because he knew he wouldn't ever win the job at UCF, that came from Scott's own mouth. Tre Neal transferred as soon as he graduated because he wouldn't start, again from Scott's own mouth. Tristan just found out 3 days ago that he wouldn't be the starter, with only 2 days left to decide if he wanted to drop classes and move on. He had little bearing on when the decision was made.

As I recall many on this board said Tristan was to small to take the pounding and not athletic enough to be a threat in the run game. Now many of those same posters are the ones who are angry that he hasn't stayed. These same people who didn't even want Tristan to win the starting job, only want him here as an insurance policy in case Adrian gets hurt. So to these people he is selfish and not a team player, because he won't sacrifice 2 years of his eligibility just to be a backup plan. Does that about cover it?

Reactions: HuskerDana
It's not like he planned on leaving us high and dry just to screw us. He planned on winning the starting job. He didn't, so now he's transferring. It's not his fault we have such little depth after him.

I'm not sure Gebbia would have stayed, if POB had. I imagine his father is heavily involved, and that's fine. I wish he would have transferred in the spring.

Good luck to the young man, I will now follow his college career. I have an idea on how it will go.

2612, you happen to be one of the posters on here that I like reading. Trust me, I am not withholding some bombshell that would paint SF as a complete d-bag, because I do not think that he is. As someone else stated, I probably should have said nothing at all. He is right. I just do not think it is a good idea to say anything further, for Gebbia, Frost, my source, and hell, even the fan base.

I should have dropped it this morning when I said I would, lol. It's just kind of hard to when you still see some bashing the kid.
Thank you, I also value your opinions as you seem very level headed and logical.You contribute your opinions and thoughts without attacking other posters, like some here. I will leave this topic at that, just wanted to make sure there wasn't more to the story. That our savior coach didn't have some dark side. lol
I agree, the bashing isn't called for. He has every right to transfer and if I was in his shoes probably would have as well. I just wish he would have given it more time, maybe in the spring. I wish him well and wish he was still here. Our QB situation just got a bit more scary.

Last edited:
HC Frost said he was a good kid that's good enough for me. I thought Smith was a p.o.s. before he laid his hands on his wife.

Remember wideouts and him going back and forth on Twitter?

I agree with this, from what we have heard Frost does not micro manage his coaches, I believe that Frost let Verduzco tell the qbs, because that is the position he coaches. In a lot of cases players are closer to their position coach than any other coach on the staff. If TG did not like that then that is on him, not Coach Frost. However, I completely understand why TG felt the need to transfer when he did. He made a decision that was best for him. We may not like it as Husker fans but in today's world of college football high profile qbs transfer all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT