ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

I loved NU, my fraternity and Nebraska. I had a great college girlfriend who I later married. I still gave up my senior year to further my professional goals at a University 5 hours away because that is what I needed to do. I could have waited a year and possibly still gotten in to the program I wanted BUT I didn't have any guarantees I would still have that opportunity. You do what you think you have to do regardless of how many friends you have to leave behind. This decision is a MAJOR career decision for Gebbia and all of the hurt feelings by our fans is laughable. He didn't owe us, Frost or his teammates anything other than a handshake and a goodbye.
And you think the fans owe him "good luck" as he heads out the door? Hell no.

As far as the point that it becomes team first is the the first game or the 12th day of class at the school you want to transfer to. If it is within the rules, you are always going to have a few that take advantage of the rule. Close the loophole or deal with the potential that it could happen.
I agree.

It's just my opinion. From a commitment standpoint, to me, it starts when everyone reports to fall camp. So I disagree with Gebbia's choice. Plenty of people disagree with me, and that's okay.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I agree.

It's just my opinion. From a commitment standpoint, to me, it starts when everyone reports to fall camp. So I disagree with Gebbia's choice. Plenty of people disagree with me, and that's okay.

I understand your point, and I don't totally disagree. I just know that if I had lost a position battle, and knew of a loop hole that would save me a year of eligibility I would try and take advantage.

"He made a decision with his family that I think was best for him, and we're going to wish him the best." While it’s not what he wanted or to his advantage it sounds like Scott recognizes it was in Gebbia’s best interest. Scott has already stated he would’ve handled it differently in hindsite. The best analogy I can think of is political voting. Most people vote based on what’s best for their bank account, not on morality or what’s best for humanity. For example, fatmers are generally a very conservative bunch, but they are sure on board with their self serving subsidies. Let it go scorned ladies.

Last edited:
When Scott Frost talks about ‘Unity of purpose’, I think he is referring to situations that led to Gebbia’s transfer. Among other things, of course, but this is one of those things that is anti-Unity.

sometimes, if you tell the info, it is glaringly obvious where the info came from. In a couple of occasions I have been privy to some info, that has been the case. If you say give specifics, the person who told you will never share info again. Sort of defeats the point of getting the info.

If you don't want to believe, don't. I doubt anyone losses sleep because you don't trust where they got their info.

THIS.

I actually am not offended at all by the people that were questioning what I said.....and I get why they would question it. There are plenty of people, that for whatever reason, think it makes them look important or something to let others know that they have inside info, repeatedly on every topic, that they actually don't have. It can be hard to sort through the bs at times.

I will tell you right now, I don't. I may have had that info on this topic, but I am by no means an insider. I have a couple of people that I hear things from on occasion. Some of it I share to a certain extent, some of it I don't. I certainly do not want to share everything I am told, especially if it puts a close friend in a tough spot.

Like I said, I am just glad there is finally a game this weekend. That is probably the best thing for this team.....and the fan base right now. AM stepping in and playing the way the staff has the confidence that he will play will go a long way in helping EVERYONE move past the whole TG situation.

Good luck to TG. But, even more so, good luck to all of the players still wearing red.

Last edited:
Scott also had the following to say about quarter system schools, "NCAA is always worried about a level playing field. This creates a distinct unfair advantage for schools that are on a quarters system." I agree it an unfair advantage, however that statement to me suggests that Scott at least took into consideration the timing of naming a starter based on the ease of their ability to transfer.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I understand your point, and I don't totally disagree. I just know that if I had lost a position battle, and knew of a loop hole that would save me a year of eligibility I would try and take advantage.
Which is why every college to be on a level playing field should either be semester or quarter.. one or the other.. these schools that are on quarters have an advantage to add transfers late in the game..like this.. its not right or fair and needs to be worked out with the ncaa...

Which is why every college to be on a level playing field should either be semester or quarter.. one or the other.. these schools that are on quarters have an advantage to add transfers late in the game..like this.. its not right or fair and needs to be worked out with the ncaa...

Or just change the rule to say if you transfer after August 15, that the current year cannot be used as the penalty year. No need to mess with how schools credit their classes.

Or maybe committed to playing both QB's through the non-conference. OR not name a starter. Or bring in a grad transfer. Could be a number of things.

A coach has to walk a fine line here. You don't want to look like the bad guy, but you also don't want to screw your team. I think Frost has the right to essentially treat these players like employees. They are getting their school paid for, to the tune of what...$30-40K a year, with everything they receive?

I believe he should have allowed the competition to play out through the non-con, and then made his decision, or named Gebbia the starter. That way Gebbia is locked in for the year. A lot of coaches would have done so, and I wouldn't have blamed Frost for doing so.

sometimes, if you tell the info, it is glaringly obvious where the info came from. In a couple of occasions I have been privy to some info, that has been the case. If you say give specifics, the person who told you will never share info again. Sort of defeats the point of getting the info.

If you don't want to believe, don't. I doubt anyone losses sleep because you don't trust where they got their info.
If yo
It is unfair, but coaches shouldn’t make decisions onto when to name starters based on whether they can still transfer. I do think they should level the playing field, but I don’t think trapping a kid into another year in the program is the way to go. Personally, I think if coaches that make millions can change schools at the drop of a dime with zero repercussions, then the student athletes should have the same options.

Scott also had the following to say about quarter system schools, "NCAA is always worried about a level playing field. This creates a distinct unfair advantage for schools that are on a quarters system." I agree it an unfair advantage, however that statement to me suggests that Scott at least took into consideration the timing of naming a starter based on the ease of their ability to transfer.
Or perhaps our inability to take a last-minute transfer to provide depth.

Reactions: SOHusker11
A coach has to walk a fine line here. You don't want to look like the bad guy, but you also don't want to screw your team. I think Frost has the right to essentially treat these players like employees. They are getting their school paid for, to the tune of what...$30-40K a year, with everything they receive?

I believe he should have allowed the competition to play out through the non-con, and then made his decision, or named Gebbia the starter. That way Gebbia is locked in for the year. A lot of coaches would have done so, and I wouldn't have blamed Frost for doing so.
I don't think you can name TG the starter, if you don't believe he is the best player. But you can let it drag out longer and/or state competition is ongoing and let both play in the early games, etc

Last edited:
Or perhaps our inability to take a last-minute transfer to provide depth.
That is most certainly part of it, but I also think it’s more about the fact that the player can transfer out later to those quarter system schools than at schools on semester. The whole reason it’s being discussed was b/c we lost a player late, not b/c we couldn’t land a transfer late.

Frost made a reference about coaching "team before me" mentality and maybe I'm wrong but I took it as him basically insinuating Gebbia's decision was a "me before team." I don't fault Gebbia for looking out for number one but maybe this was best for both parties. I definitely don't want a drama queen, cry if things don't go my way, it's all about me as a leader on our team We'll get along just fine without Gebbia and I'm sure he'll be alright as well.

I'm a fan of Nebraska. Not Gebbia or Martinez. I never disliked the guy until he treated this team the way he did. And after what he just pulled, he obviously has no respect for Nebraska, the fans, the coaches or his teammates. He didn't even sign up for classes this semester, let alone drop them. The worst part about it is this wasn't a kid who was emotionally hurt that he wasn't a starter and made a rash decision to quit. He had this planned out for awhile now.

RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh

.....and there it is, the whole, "didn't even sign up for classes" so he could bail quickly rumor.

Last edited:
Geezus. You couldn't be more wrong. You should probably start sitting this one out because it's obviously become very personal to you since you decided to call him names and throw out blatant lies.

Let him go, he's on a roll.

Again, so many easier ways to close this loophole without adjusting how schools credit their classes.
Like setting a transfer drop dead date of around mid-August. Fixed date set a couple of weeks before the bulk of the teams start their season.

rather how he did it. Obviously he had been planning this What bothers me is he showed no concern in how his decision affects our now very thin QB position.U of California had a lot to do with. Good luck to him. What does he do if he doesn't start right away. Just wish he had allowed the other QBs more reps.

Frost made a reference about coaching "team before me" mentality and maybe I'm wrong but I took it as him basically insinuating Gebbia's decision was a "me before team." I don't fault Gebbia for looking out for number one but maybe this was best for both parties. I definitely don't want a drama queen, cry if things don't go my way, it's all about me as a leader on our team We'll get along just fine without Gebbia and I'm sure he'll be alright as well.
Well, I think Scott’s statement that Gebbia did what Scott thought was best for him holds more weight than perceived insuinuation. Scott didn’t like the decision, but he understood it was best for Tristian. He’d be a hypocrite as he transferred too. Yeah, he may have done it after the spring, but he also knew after spring that he was now a safety if he stayed at Stanford. He wanted to be a starting qb, so he transferred. I imagine he could have helped Stanford from the safety position beings he was able to stay in the league for 6 years.

Reactions: saluno22
I have a question for you posters slobbering over a player who just shafted his team-mates and coaches

Why? he hurt your teams chances to win this year. Do you feel some emotional connection to this player?

Its his choice - I do not wish well as he did not wish his team well. I hope no ill will on him nor do I hope he does well either makes no difference. One thing I will not do is applaud his decision to crap on our program

Reactions: oldjar07
Agreed, pretty easy to set a unilateral transfer date
Actually, this issue has been dealt with by the NCAA (and remember, the NCAA is the member schools, as they alone pass legislation). Bylaw 14.02.13 allows a transfer to start at his new school up to 12 days after classes have begun and still use that year as his "year in residence." NU is not at a disadvantage in this situation, and could take a transfer today, since the academic year is less than 12 days old (classes started less than 12 days ago in Lincoln). No terrible injustice to dear old NU here, no advantage to quarter-system institutions. .

I have a question for you posters slobbering over a player who just shafted his team-mates and coaches

Why? he hurt your teams chances to win this year. Do you feel some emotional connection to this player?

Its his choice - I do not wish well as he did not wish his team well. I hope no ill will on him nor do I hope he does well either makes no difference. One thing I will not do is applaud his decision to crap on our program

Gosh he must have ruined your girl for you.

No one is slobbering over him, just defending his decision to do what is best for him. I don't have to agree with his decision in order to defend that he has a right to make the decision that is best for him. He did nothing outside the rules.

There is a huge difference between understanding his decision and applauding it. He shafted no one, except apparently your girl. He didn't hurt the team's chances to win, he was going to be a back up QB.

You definitely sound like a jilted lover though. I hope you unfollowed him on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and deleted his number from your phone so you don't accidentally call him.

ha ha ha ha

Last edited:
Welcome to the new world of QB recruiting.

Mommy and Daddy are spending thousands - sometimes tens of thousands - of dollars for private coaching, QB camps, counselors, advisors, you name it . . . in hopes that junior is gonna start. You don't take out a 2nd mortgage on the family home with the intention to have junior hold a clipboard for 2 years.

It's entitlement 101 and it stinks but that's how it works now. Recruiting blue chip high school QB's is high stakes poker: don't recruit enough? You're screwed.

Recruit too many? They transfer if they're not behind center in game 1. And if the starter gets hurt . . . you're screwed.

Looking forward to the Game in Lincoln.

Actually, this issue has been dealt with by the NCAA (and remember, the NCAA is the member schools, as they alone pass legislation). Bylaw 14.02.13 allows a transfer to start at his new school up to 12 days after classes have begun and still use that year as his "year in residence." NU is not at a disadvantage in this situation, and could take a transfer today, since the academic year is less than 12 days old (classes started less than 12 days ago in Lincoln). No terrible injustice to dear old NU here, no advantage to quarter-system institutions. .
Yeah, could we take a transfer 12 days after around September 20th when most PAC 12 schools start classes? Class start dates are not unilateral, so the 12 days after classes start is not the same date.

That's the way I took it.

Is anyone disputing that Gebbia put himself before team??

The only dispute is whether or not people agree with putting oneself before the team in this situation

Last edited:
Reactions: hephusker
Welcome to the new world of QB recruiting.

Mommy and Daddy are spending thousands - sometimes tens of thousands - of dollars for private coaching, QB camps, counselors, advisors, you name it . . . in hopes that junior is gonna start. You don't take out a 2nd mortgage on the family home with the intention to have junior hold a clipboard for 2 years.

It's entitlement 101 and it stinks but that's how it works now. Recruiting blue chip high school QB's is high stakes poker: don't recruit enough? You're screwed.

Recruit too many? They transfer if they're not behind center in game 1. And if the starter gets hurt . . . you're screwed.

Looking forward to the Game in Lincoln.

Certainly does appear the current landscape of college football. Look around the nation and this isn't only happening in Lincoln.

Gosh he must have ruined your girl for you.

No one is slobbering over him, just defending his decision to do what is best for him. I don't have to agree with his decision in order to defend that he has a right to make the decision that is best for him. He did nothing outside the rules.

There is a huge difference between understanding his decision and applauding it. He shafted no one, except apparently your girl. He didn't hurt the team's chances to win, he was going to be a back up QB.

You definitely sound like a jilted lover though. I hope you unfollowed him on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and deleted your number from your phone so you don't accidentally call him.

ha ha ha ha
what is your fixation with other posters love life - are you feeling lonely or something .

* Not applauding it ? really go read the posts -
* Does not hurt our chances this year - come on man you are smarter than that it could have significant impact
* I am sorry you are having trouble with women its ok hang in there it will get better

anyhow enough on this guy I am done with it lets hope martinez is the answer

Reactions: oldjar07

Slobbering all over and just stating facts are two different things.

I am a Nebraska fan first. I am excited that Scott Frost is here. I wish he would have handled this situation better. He admitted as much and I respect him even more for doing so.

Tristan Gebbia busted his ass for this program and was a team guy first. Should he have swallowed his pride....and possibly his playing career to stay at NU and hope to get a chance to step on the field....or to make some of you happy that we have a quality back-up? I can tell you now, he would not want to sit around and hope AM goes down or plays like s*** to get his shot. In fact, he did everything he could to HELP Martinez prepare.

So, I am not defending TG at the expense of the NU program. Instead, I am defending a twenty-year-old kid from a few fans, that can't seem to separate themselves from feeling jilted by a kid. A kid that is now going to do what is best for himself.

How about this. Let's say you are fighting for the same promotion as someone else at your job . You know more than this other person at the time, but for the good of the company you help him out. He then gets the promotion over you.

You then see that there are similar jobs out there at other companies that may give you that opportunity that you missed where you are currently at.

Are you going to stay at your current employer, even if another offer comes in that gives you the chance that you want?

Finally, I will ask, who is actually not moving on.....the group that is bashing TG for leaving or the group that is calling bs on some of their statements?

Some here need to get a grip, stop bashing the kid, wish him well and move on.

Last edited:
Slobbering all over and just stating facts are two different things.

I am a Nebraska fan first. I am excited that Scott Frost is here. I wish he would have handled this situation better. He admitted as much and I respect him even more for doing so.

Tristan Gebbia busted his ass for this program and was a team guy first. Sould he have swallowed his pride....and possibly his playing career to stay at NU and hope to get a chance to step on the field? I can tell you now, he would not want to sit around and hope AM goes down or plays like s*** to get his shot. In fact, he did everything he could to HELP Martinez prepare.

So, I am not defending TG at the expense of the NU program. Instead, I am defending a twenty-year-old kid from a few fans that can't seem to separate themselves from feeling jilted by a kid that is now going to do what is best for him at this point.

Let's say you are fighting for the same position as someone else in a job. You know more than this other person at the time, but for the good of the company you help him out. He then gets the promotion over you.

You then see that there are similar jobs out there at other companies that may give you that opportunity that you missed where you are currently at.

Are you going to stay at your current employer, even if another offer comes in that gives you the chance that you want?

So, I will ask, who is actually not moving on.....the group that is bashing TG for leaving or the group that is calling bs on some of their statements?

Some here need to get a grip, stop bashing the kid, wish him well and move on.
Good and fair post - Him leaving is perfectly reasonable however the timing is not and is unusual or at least I cannot think of many. Leaving at the end of the year certainly leaving a day after being told he is 2nd string is not fair to his school who put faith in him. Anyhow I agree it does not matter - we will be fine

As far as the business analogy if a company was in the middle of an important project most people leaving would tell that company if they want I will stay til completed or a replacement is found

This is a very weird thread.

1. Football isn't war. Walking away from your buddies doesn't need to be lambasted with expletives. The timing and optics may look bad, but the decision is understandable.

2. Does anyone really think that the Gebbia transfer is because Frost didn't tell him in person? Doesn't it appear to be more than a bit kooky to make a life-changing decision based upon the fact that the coach who spent the most time with you told you about the decision instead of the head coach. Some keep saying, "I know it's true. Don't believe me if you want." OK. I don't believe you, because your scenario is lunacy.

3. There are some players who supposedly don't like the decision. Everyone has an opinion. But if, come Saturday, any player isn't behind the starting quarterback, then Frost needs to let them hit the showers for good. (I know the following has caused issues in football discussion, but it is true.) You don't let the inmates run the asylum.

I think the only "entitled" people here are the fans who expect a 20 year old kid from a completely different part of the country, who was recruited by a completely different staff, and a completely different offense, to stick around and be the back-up when he has better options. The only reason why anyone cares is because it affects the football team we cheer for. It has nothing to do with this kid's future, both as a football player and his professional career. The personal attacks on his character are ridiculous, in my opinion. Have some compassion.

I'm still rooting for the kid to be an impact player at a good school.

I’ll bet my life savings that he did wish his former teammates well and my life savings thus far has 6 zeros in it, granted 2 of them come after a decimal. Martinez stated he congratulated him on winning the position. He didn’t freak out and throw a temper tantrum. He made a decision that was best for his future. Our lack of depth shouldn’t be his concern when making decisions on his future long term.

This is a very weird thread.

1. Football isn't war. Walking away from your buddies doesn't need to be lambasted with expletives. The timing and optics may look bad, but the decision is understandable.

2. Does anyone really think that the Gebbia transfer is because Frost didn't tell him in person? Doesn't it appear to be more than a bit kooky to make a life-changing decision based upon the fact that the coach who spent the most time with you told you about the decision instead of the head coach. Some keep saying, "I know it's true. Don't believe me if you want." OK. I don't believe you, because your scenario is lunacy.

3. There are some players who supposedly don't like the decision. Everyone has an opinion. But if, come Saturday, any player isn't behind the starting quarterback, then Frost needs to let them hit the showers for good. (I know the following has caused issues in football discussion, but it is true.) You don't let the inmates run the asylum.
Glad you joined to post this comment. Agree wholeheartedly... especially on point 2

ADVERTISEMENT