ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

You're reputation? It's an anonymous message board. Are you scared the Cable Installers mods are going to track your IP and get really mad at you?

Unfortunately for me, I am not so anonymous here. There are a few that know me. Should have remained more anonymous, I guess.

Yes, exactly. What's the reason that SF "needs to learn" & why Gebbia left? Is that asking far too much?
We may never know. Perhaps the boys from Buzzfeed Unsolved will do an episode on this in the future ;)

If you were a D2 athlete or served in the military your situations were not the same as Gebbia’s. Military guys that wouldn’t have “given up” on there brothers didn’t have the option to do so. As far as D2 athletes, not getting bumped up from the grill to management at McDonald isn’t the same as getting passed up by the new guy for a promotion at a Fortune 500 company while having options in hand for the same desired position at another Fortune 500. You’re comparing apples to oranges.

Unfortunately for me, I am not so anonymous here. There are a few that know me. Should have remained more anonymous, I guess.
If that's the case, then I wouldn't have said anything in the first place.

This is not just directed at you, but people in general. On message boards, there's always those that have "insider info" or what not, but of course they can never back up their claims, or reveal too much. And when pressed, they retreat into their shell. If I had insider info (of which I have precisely zero) then I would post it here to the community. If I absolutely couldn't for whatever reason, then I wouldn't say anything at all. I would never even hint that I knew what was up.

I would just fly casually without looking like I was flying casually.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Right, this is why I shut up stayed quite today. I’m a fan of Martinez and Gebbia. But the lack of fans pulling for Gebbia had me backing his corner. So seeing this happen stung.

Personally, I think he should have waited and seen how this season played out...he really could have been the full time starter by the end of the season...or he could have just road the bench all season. This could have gone any number of ways. He made his choice and is leaving. Hopefully this works out for him.

But Gebbia doesn’t have character issues. We just have some Husker fans that seem to dislike the man and this gave them more gas to pour onto the fire. Gebbia is a hard worker, accurate thrower and lives in the film room. Any coach would be lucky to have him as a QB. Unfortunately for him that’s not us, we got our man in Martinez. For Frosts and our sake, hopefully Martinez was the correct choice at QB and not Gebbia...if Frost made the wrong choice, then Hopefully McCaffery comes in lighting it up...we will need him.
I'm a fan of Nebraska. Not Gebbia or Martinez. I never disliked the guy until he treated this team the way he did. And after what he just pulled, he obviously has no respect for Nebraska, the fans, the coaches or his teammates. He didn't even sign up for classes this semester, let alone drop them. The worst part about it is this wasn't a kid who was emotionally hurt that he wasn't a starter and made a rash decision to quit. He had this planned out for awhile now.

If that's the case, then I wouldn't have said anything in the first place.

This is not just directed at you, but people in general. On message boards, there's always those that have "insider info" or what not, but of course they can never back up their claims, or reveal too much. And when pressed, they retreat into their shell. If I had insider info (of which I have precisely zero) then I would post it here to the community. If I absolutely couldn't for whatever reason, then I wouldn't say anything at all. I would never even hint that I knew what was up.

I would just fly casually without looking like I was flying casually.

Usually what I do. On this occasion, you are probably right. I probably should have shut up and let people speculate.

I'm a fan of Nebraska. Not Gebbia or Martinez. I never disliked the guy until he treated this team the way he did. And after what he just pulled, he obviously has no respect for Nebraska, the fans, the coaches or his teammates. He didn't even sign up for classes this semester, let alone drop them. The worst part about it is this wasn't a kid who was emotionally hurt that he wasn't a starter and made a rash decision to quit. He had this planned out for awhile now.
Oldjar, you're a jerk. A 20 year-old kid doesn't want to play for the team you support. Act like an adult.

Interesting to hear Frost say that they would have done things differently if they knew someone would transfer. Sounds like we might have had Gebbia as starter if they thought he was going to transfer.

Interesting to hear Frost say that they would have done things differently if they knew someone would transfer. Sounds like we might have had Gebbia as starter if they thought he was going to transfer.

Or maybe committed to playing both QB's through the non-conference. OR not name a starter. Or bring in a grad transfer. Could be a number of things.

Last edited:
He didn't even sign up for classes this semester, let alone drop them. The worst part about it is this wasn't a kid who was emotionally hurt that he wasn't a starter and made a rash decision to quit. He had this planned out for awhile now.
There you go making stuff up again. He was enrolled in classes until he was told he wasn't named the starter and made the decision to transfer.

Reactions: timnsun
Just listened to Mike Williams interview from yesterday, and maybe this was mentioned, but he said he heard about the QB situation from Twitter.

Possible that rumors of a few players not being happy that has been floated around, could be from how they found out?

You’re comparing apples to oranges. D2 means the chances of and your expectations to make the NFL were much lower than Gebbias. Also the qb position can only have one starter and that starter doesn’t generally have a rotation going or the opportunity to start at multiple spots. It’s easy to say what you would’ve done, but playing line at Northwest Missouri State isn’t anywhere near the same realm as Gebbia’s situation.
The team before me concept still applies, regardless of the level. Scott Frost agrees.

Reactions: SOHusker11
There you go making stuff up again. He was enrolled in classes until he was told he wasn't named the starter and made the decision to transfer.
And further, oldjar, he had to leave immediately once he learned of his position as second team QB. He has to be enrolled at his next institution before the 12th day of classes for this year to count as his year in residence (NCAA Bylaw 14.02.13). Do you really want to be such an ass toward a college kid?

I'm not taking up for the kid but he's from California. He didn't come to Lincoln to sit on the bench. We're not at that level yet where players from far away are willing to sit and wait their turn. This is just part of the process of weeding out the guys who don't want to be here. By year 3 we will have a culture in place and a favorable schedule to help us be a top 5 team.

So what happened? You guys saying there’s more to the story, then get all quiet when asked about it. Quit being so vague and tell us the “real reason” Gebbia left, and why Frost “needs to learn” from it.
Sometimes you know things from people inside the program where you just can't say their names, the details or how you know without causing problems for the people you get the info from. I suspect there is more to the story than we know and we'll just have to leave it at that. He gone. GBR.

Sometimes you know things from people inside the program where you just can't say their names, the details or how you know without causing problems for the people you get the info from. I suspect there is more to the story than we know and we'll just have to leave it at that. He gone. GBR.
Or it's a bunch of gossip.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Just listened to Mike Williams interview from yesterday, and maybe this was mentioned, but he said he heard about the QB situation from Twitter.

Possible that rumors of a few players not being happy that has been floated around, could be from how they found out?

Each guy is going to have favorites. Gebbia has been there for a year longer than Martinez and from all accounts has been respected and liked by pretty much everybody. Of course guys are going to be disappointed that he left and it really wouldn't matter how you addressed the situation as a coach unless you trashed the kid on the way out the door. Everybody will be just fine. It would have been nice if TG would have at least tweeted out a good bye to his buddies and a thank you to Nebraska but he didn't.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
The team before me concept still applies, regardless of the level. Scott Frost agrees.
Of course he does, it’s to his benefit. It’s a little naive to think that the level and position you compete at has little baring on a players decision on their future. Scott has already admitted in hindsite he would’ve handled it differently.

Last edited:
Or it's a bunch of gossip.
When you come on a message board there is always that possibility. I have no doubt that Gebbia's feelings were hurt by something and that something could have been handled better. That is almost always the case. It's a moot point. He's gone. I was just thinking yesterday about some of the employee/employer situations I've been involved with over the past 35 years and how I handled some of them poorly and the other side handled some of them poorly. The bottom line is that almost always both sides probably could wish that they had handled something differently in hindsight. That's life.

He didn't even sign up for classes this semester, let alone drop them.
Geezus. You couldn't be more wrong. You should probably start sitting this one out because it's obviously become very personal to you since you decided to call him names and throw out blatant lies.

He doesn’t get another redshirt year. He has 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility. He redshirted last year, sits out this one as a transfer, then has 3 to play 3.

I don’t understand the theory of sticking around in case Martinez gets hurt. By staying at Nebraska past Saturday, he uses one of his 4 years of eligibility. Then if he transfers next year, he has to sit out and won’t be eligible until 2020 season. That would be 3 years without playing meaningful snaps. By leaving now, he keeps it at 2, and he can find a place that may have a senior starting QB and not much depth.
IF he drops down a division or goes JUCO can he play right away?

Everybody has to put yourself in Gebbia's shoes before bad mouthing him. How would you feel in his shoes if you truly felt you had at minimum been equal to Martinez in the competition. If you were told by quite a few teammates that they felt you had won the competition. You had been told early on that Frost himself would be letting the competitors know who won the competition. When time comes not only does Frost not let you know but then lets out that the decision had been made 2-3 days prior already. Put those things in your thought process before passing judgments on Gebbia!
Lol at the people who are defending Gebbia and bashing Scott Frost and the coaching staff. Martinez won the competition fair and square. Don't know why people are trying to drum up more drama and trying to make our coaching staff look bad.

I understand your point, if you have inside info and aren’t willing to share, then don’t go around parading what you “know” without actually saying anything. Husker fans want to know! Laughing

Your opinions are not facts. You have zero knowledge on how this went down behind scenes, so how about you quit making statements as though they are facts. Maybe try starting with I think when you state a what you think. You’re coming off like a woman scorned. Nobody wants to be left at the alter, but if they are it was probably for the best.

Did the team before me apply to Frost when he left Stanford because they wanted him to switch to DB?

I didn't fault Frost and I don't fault Gebbia.

Frost left after the season. In January. Not 5 days before the first game. That's my issue with it. Once you're at fall camp, you're committed to the team. That's my issue with his decision. If he wanted to leave before spring ball, after spring ball, or before camp started, then go for it. Now things are set, and the time has passed for that decision to be on the table. At some point, the team has to be first, and when you start fall camp with the team, me-first is no longer an option.

sometimes, if you tell the info, it is glaringly obvious where the info came from. In a couple of occasions I have been privy to some info, that has been the case. If you say give specifics, the person who told you will never share info again. Sort of defeats the point of getting the info.

If you don't want to believe, don't. I doubt anyone losses sleep because you don't trust where they got their info.

Frost left after the season. In January. Not 5 days before the first game. That's my issue with it. Once you're at fall camp, you're committed to the team. That's my issue with his decision. If he wanted to leave before spring ball, after spring ball, or before camp started, then go for it. Now things are set, and the time has passed for that decision to be on the table. At some point, the team has to be first, and when you start fall camp with the team, me-first is no longer an option.

As far as the point that it becomes team first is the the first game or the 12th day of class at the school you want to transfer to. If it is within the rules, you are always going to have a few that take advantage of the rule. Close the loophole or deal with the potential that it could happen.

ADVERTISEMENT