ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

Looking at Chips recruiting class, it looks like he isn't recruiting anyone right now. :D
They may have a better version of AMart already on their roster.
edit, or two
Speight was a 5.5 3*.

Last edited:
Yep, him not getting the job was his excuse to leave. I agree, he didn't really want to be here.

So everything we’ve ever heard about his time here is BS? Because guys that don’t want to be somewhere don’t bust their ass and have the relationships that he had (reportedly).

You have derailed.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Everybody has to put yourself in Gebbia's shoes before bad mouthing him. How would you feel in his shoes if you truly felt you had at minimum been equal to Martinez in the competition. If you were told by quite a few teammates that they felt you had won the competition. You had been told early on that Frost himself would be letting the competitors know who won the competition. When time comes not only does Frost not let you know but then lets out that the decision had been made 2-3 days prior already. Put those things in your thought process before passing judgments on Gebbia!
However it all went down, it seems pretty evident that Gebbia probably knew what he was going to do before Frost announced who the starter was. He had to know this was at the very least a 50/50 deal and that he had better have a contingency plan. IF he didn't, he's not as smart as we think he is. It's the way it is in college football. No hard feelings and I wish him well.

At what level did you play? What position? Did you have realistic expectations to make the NFL? Could you throw a football over a mountain?
I played at the D2 level in a probably the best league in the country before NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, Northern Colorado and UNO departed for division 1. It's not division 1, but if you played at the collegiate level for a good coaching staff who preaches buy in to the team concept, regardless of whether it was juco, d3, d2, d1, or NAIA, then you understand what I'm talking about. If you played and don't care, then maybe team doesn't mean as much to you. It does to me.

If he really didn’t want to be here he would have left in the Spring.... He thought he could start that is why he stayed...
Yes agree, 100%. He was only staying to get the starting job. Not because he loved his team mates, or Lincoln, or the University, or the coaches. It was about him. When he didn't get what he wanted, he bailed.

If not close then why are there other offensive starters that do not like this decision?
Those offensive starters need to re-examine their sentiments with TG leaving. At some point, you have to love the one your with. I don't blame TG for leaving and I know he had a lot of respect from his teammates but he's gone. Time to rally around your starter. You wish TG the best in life and move on.

True, but if things happened differently this weekend, he would likely still be here.
Question - can anyone find evidence of Frost stating that he was personally going to inform the two QBs of their status? You have been posting that Frost in some way treated Gebbia poorly. What exactly did he do, other than have Mario have the conference with the two kids?
For all you and I know, Frost learned of TG's "contingency plan" and wasn't happy about it.

So everything we’ve ever heard about his time here is BS? Because guys that don’t want to be somewhere don’t bust their ass and have the relationships that he had (reportedly).

You have derailed.
They also don't leave the second things don't go their way.

Reactions: TheNewNU
It seems very petty to leave because coach Frost didn't tell you in person. I can understand him being mad and upset, but the leave town 24 hours later. If he wanted to be here, he wouldn't have let something like that drive him away.

I agree. It is fairly rash to just pull the plug just because of that. I never said that Gebbia is fully in the right here.

It could be that Gebbia got a vibe when he actually did finally meet with Frost that he would only be a clipboard holder and tutor here. Just a hypothetical, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
It seems very petty to leave because coach Frost didn't tell you in person. I can understand him being mad and upset, but the leave town 24 hours later. If he wanted to be here, he wouldn't have let something like that drive him away.
Are you saying that Gebbia is leaving because Frost didn't tell him in person, as opposed to leaving because he is not going to get much playing time?

Those offensive starters need to re-examine their sentiments with TG leaving. At some point, you have to love the one your with. I don't blame TG for leaving and I know he had a lot of respect from his teammates but he's gone. Time to rally around your starter. You wish TG the best in life and move on.
Remember this team was in very mentally fragile state last year. While I think it is much better. I wonder how much it affects them.
Are you saying that Gebbia is leaving because Frost didn't tell him in person, as opposed to leaving because he is not going to get much playing time?
That is what others are suggesting.

Your initial post was that if he wanted to leave, he should have left earlier. He didn’t want to leave earlier. He wants to leave now, only because he now understands there is very little playing time in his future. Had he known one month ago that the plan was for him to be a backup at best for the rest of his time here, I’m certain he would have left earlier.
I'm good with him leaving before fall camp starts. Once you go to camp, you're in on the season. That's just my opinion and obviously not everyone will agree, and that's okay. From experiencing fall camp and knowing how important it is to the season, once you show up for camp, you're all in with your brothers. If you're not all in, then don't show up to camp.
His teammates need him to be successful. Maybe Stan Morgan is fine with it. Go get yours. but if I sacrificed for years and stuck through coaching changes and worked my tail off to have a chance to win our senior year, and then one of his two scholarship QBs leaves 5 days before the opener, I'm feeling like he quit on us because he didn't want to deal with adversity.

Again, transfer before camp or after the season. Once camp starts, we're all in on the season. Don't bail on your teammates now, 5 days before the season opens. And its okay if people think I'm wrong or disagree with me. Maybe I am. I'm willing to admit I could be wrong. I've thought about this a lot. I want the kid to do well, but I think the team is more important than anything else. I felt it when I was in college.

I must not be understanding everything that has happened. Besides Frost not directly telling him he wasn't starting, how was he treated so poorly?
Who knows, maybe in subsequent conversation he was told that the QB One Line was a bit more clear cut that he thought it was. As in, he was decidedly going to be a backup.
My take on this was that Frost's critical yardstick is decision making as the play is unfolding and ability to get the ball to the right playmakers. I thought Gebbia had or should have an advantage in that part of the game. I now think it is likely that Martinez, on any given practice, was even with or just behind TG on that part of the game. Once AMart matched that part of TG's game, his speed and general athleticism were the trump cards.

Reactions: husker2612
Yes agree, 100%. He was only staying to get the starting job. Not because he loved his team mates, or Lincoln, or the University, or the coaches. It was about him. When he didn't get what he wanted, he bailed.
I loved NU, my fraternity and Nebraska. I had a great college girlfriend who I later married. I still gave up my senior year to further my professional goals at a University 5 hours away because that is what I needed to do. I could have waited a year and possibly still gotten in to the program I wanted BUT I didn't have any guarantees I would still have that opportunity. You do what you think you have to do regardless of how many friends you have to leave behind. This decision is a MAJOR career decision for Gebbia and all of the hurt feelings by our fans is laughable. He didn't owe us, Frost or his teammates anything other than a handshake and a goodbye.

There is more than just Frost not telling the Qb's in person who the starter was. I would bet that many of you that are bad mouthing Gebbia for leaving now would be doing the exact same thing if you were in his shoes. It is always true that when one does not know the whole story of something it is better to wait to express opinions about situations you know little about. When told Gebbia had no plans on leaving. It was only later when he learned of several other things that he and his father decided it was in his best interest to leave. I can tell you I have no problem with him leaving and hope Frost learns from all of this. He needs to!

I'm good with him leaving before fall camp starts. Once you go to camp, you're in on the season. That's just my opinion and obviously not everyone will agree, and that's okay. From experiencing fall camp and knowing how important it is to the season, once you show up for camp, you're all in with your brothers. If you're not all in, then don't show up to camp.
His teammates need him to be successful. Maybe Stan Morgan is fine with it. Go get yours. but if I sacrificed for years and stuck through coaching changes and worked my tail off to have a chance to win our senior year, and then one of his two scholarship QBs leaves 5 days before the opener, I'm feeling like he quit on us because he didn't want to deal with adversity.

Again, transfer before camp or after the season. Once camp starts, we're all in on the season. Don't bail on your teammates now, 5 days before the season opens. And its okay if people think I'm wrong or disagree with me. Maybe I am. I'm willing to admit I could be wrong. I've thought about this a lot. I want the kid to do well, but I think the team is more important than anything else. I felt it when I was in college.
Lots of folks are on the "TG's gotta do what's best for TG" bus, but the above is a very fair take as well.

Hope it was just a miscommunication/ misunderstanding. Not one of those things, like hiding the closet back in the day. A tough/ uncomfortable situation, and he hides.

Since it never happened, you are comparing the current situation to a fairy tale.

Question - can anyone find evidence of Frost stating that he was personally going to inform the two QBs of their status? You have been posting that Frost in some way treated Gebbia poorly. What exactly did he do, other than have Mario have the conference with the two kids?
For all you and I know, Frost learned of TG's "contingency plan" and wasn't happy about it.

I can't give you concrete proof in writing. All I can tell you what I know. You don't have to believe me....I am fine with that.

Like I said, even knowing what I know, I still am pumped that SF is our HC here. I think he f'd up this whole situation, but he is a smart guy and I am sure he will handle a similar situation much better next time.

I loved NU, my fraternity and Nebraska. I had a great college girlfriend who I later married. I still gave up my senior year to further my professional goals at a University 5 hours away because that is what I needed to do. I could have waited a year and possibly still gotten in to the program I wanted BUT I didn't have any guarantees I would still have that opportunity. You do what you think you have to do regardless of how many friends you have to leave behind. This decision is a MAJOR career decision for Gebbia and all of the hurt feelings by our fans is laughable. He didn't owe us, Frost or his teammates anything other than a handshake and a goodbye.
I don't fault him for leaving. He has every right too. I fault him for how he did it. It seems very petty and childish

All I can tell you what I know.
I think he f'd up this whole situation, but he is a smart guy and I am sure he will handle a similar situation much better next time.
Specifically, what do you know? And how did Frost "f" the whole thing up. Do you have Frost's office bugged? Hacked emails? Perhaps Mueller needs to be brought in on this.

While I agree with your post, coaches should also be held to the fire when they do not do what they say they are going to do.

What could the coaching staff do differently to make Gebbia stay? Why are some so anxious to write how he didn't get a fair shake with the coaching staff? Do you want Scott to cave like Frank did when Crouch ran home to O like a little boy? (Never was a big fan of Eric. Always felt it was Eric 1-2-3........and then finally the Huskers). Another thing I would love to have two good quarterbacks, but how do we know how good Gebbia is? I haven't seen him play enough to know and I don't think anyone else writing on this board has either unless they are on the coaching staff.

Hell, who knows? Maybe Gebbia will transfer and be a great player at another school, but it is water under the bridge. He's gone

Last edited:
There is more than just Frost not telling the Qb's in person who the starter was. I would bet that many of you that are bad mouthing Gebbia for leaving now would be doing the exact same thing if you were in his shoes. It is always true that when one does not know the whole story of something it is better to wait to express opinions about situations you know little about. When told Gebbia had no plans on leaving. It was only later when he learned of several other things that he and his father decided it was in his best interest to leave. I can tell you I have no problem with him leaving and hope Frost learns from all of this. He needs to!

I think you need go ahead and share whatever it is you are hinting at.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
Gebbia had plan A and Plan B. When plan A didn't work out, he went to plan B. It's pretty clear to me that he'd been thinking about plan B for quite some time, and he acted on it quickly. I'm sure he understands that the next QB dual he's involved in might yield the same results as the one that recently transpired. Maybe he'll have to implement plan C at that point.

I don't fault him for leaving. He has every right too. I fault him for how he did it. It seems very petty and childish
How else was he going to do it? He had no choice at that point. Frost repeatedly has said that once the decision was made that his starter was going to get a long leash. That's telling the backup that you basically have no chance of unseating the starter. Frost named AM so Gebbia had to make a decision and make it quick. There's nothing childish or petty. He made a grown up decision that I'm sure was extremely difficult for him. He has a bunch of friends on campus and more than likely a girlfriend or girlfriends. This was not an easy thing for him and we need to just thank him for his efforts and the way he represented NU publicly.

I must not be understanding everything that has happened. Besides Frost not directly telling him he wasn't starting, how was he treated so poorly?

I don't get it either. What was SF supposed to do? Drop everything else he's responsible for.....run over to Gebbia so together they could whine, sob & moan? Maybe bring a gallon of ice cream with him?

Geesh. He was treated soooo very poorly.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
ADVERTISEMENT