ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

Well I was the a-hole on this board telling you all that the QB battle was bs and a dog and pony show to keep TG from leaving. Go back and look.

To those that think SF is some kind of saint, he isn't.
For him to leave this quickly, has me thinking that the QB battle was not as close as we were led to believe. Gebbia knew it, and once it became official, he bolted.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Yeah because real leaders leave their team a week before the season starts. Don't know why anyone would follow a leader who will leave them at the drop of a hat.
Drop of a hat? Is that what it was? He wanted to be the leader, which is why he battled. He now has a very small chance to be the leader of this team. He has a chance to transfer somewhere else this year, so that he can be a leader somewhere else next year. If he left a month ago, would you still consider him a leader? Just curious on how much notice leaders usually give.

And if it was your son who was highly rated and had NFL aspirations, you'd be be on the phone talking to other schools right now, if you didn't already have a contingency plan in place.
Not necessarily. It was a battle and it was close. The backup QB is always one play away from being the guy. More so than any other position. Berringer would have been afirst round draft pick as a backup QB. So should every player that didn't make first string transfer? Why have 100+ players then.

I would think the best thing would be to stick this year out. Unless deep down you don't think you can ever be the guy.

Regardless, it's his decision. It's his life. And I wish him well what ever the decision is.

What's the point in following Nebraska football if you don't let it affect you emotionally? When you watch a game do you sit there like a robot and don't care how we're playing? You don't cheer when we score a touchdown and yell at the tv when we give up one? I do both of those things and wouldn't even watch if I couldn't.

This is a crappy situation that left us with 1 scholarship qb able to play this year. This easily could cost us a game or two or possibly more this year if Martinez gets banged up.
I was upset Gebbia decided to transfer.

When Nebraska scores I jump up and down.

When we suck I yell “F*CK”.

What I don’t do is hop on a message board and call kids pieces of shit and a pussy.

He's not a Husker. I think he's made that clear enough.
I don’t imagine too many husker players would view you as a husker. I’d love to see you proudly show a transcript of everything you’ve said to Gebbia’s former teammates and see what they think of what you have to say about Gebbia. I bet you wouldn’t enjoy their reaction.

Always find these situations fascinating. When Nebraska moves on from a kid because he isn't hacking it (which has happened a lot this off-season) we seem to cheer the fact that we are "clearing out the dead weight" and "opening up another scholarship" but when a kid we want here sees better opportunities elsewhere and leaves he is a "pos" and a "pussy"... I don't believe that we can have it both ways.

I am bummed Gebbia is transferring but I understand his decision. Good luck to him. Let's move on and root for the guys still on the roster.
That's what losing teams believe is that you can't have it both ways. The best teams are having it both ways and are still able to make themselves look good in the process. Just look at any elite organization, one that only allows the best of the best in. They'll do anything they have to to keep the best talent in, and don't have a 2nd thought about dropping someone who's suboptimal. If we ever want to be a winning program again, we're going to have to do this.

I truly do not get this type of thinking maybe its a sign of the times I guess.

1. This move this late in the game hurts NU football which the reason we are here
2. This move is premeditated- He and maybe his parents had made contingency plans in case he was not named starter - fine - However was this communicated to the coaching staff ( short answer is no) and why because they would have made the QB decision earlier and given a lot more attention to other players

This decision by Gebbia hurts NU and only benefits this kid, he also knew about the decision before this and was not honest with the coaches - I do not respect this
Absolutely, this decision doesn't affect only himself but that's the only thing he was thinking about.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I say this was poorly played by Frost. There was no point in naming a clear-cut starter this year. We would've all hated it, but he could've said "we're playing two qb's this year until one takes the job." Saban is basically stringing his guys along to keep one from transferring. We'll be in deep if Martinez goes down.
That's why I can't understand transferring. Injuries are only a play away. Same as a couple of turnovers. Backup would be in there in a flash.

The question is why do you and others condone what he did

1. Yes if he had transferred three weeks its different than 5 days before the first game - absolutely thats three weeks of Bunch getting more snaps yes it would have been better
2. What someone does is not a personal attack he is/was selfish and yes it was pretty low

You can agree with his reasons all you want how and the timing of this does not reflect well on him

anyhow enough - none of it matters at this point
I accept the behavior because I care more for a good individual than I do Nebraska football. I'm a huge fan, but if a player & good kid feels like Nebraska is no longer the place for them, then I'm not going to trash them on their way out and wish them the best.

1) Yes it may have been better, but it would only really matter if Martinez goes down early. It's not like Bunch is far behind because Gebbia stuck around. If anything, Gebbia sticking around until now pushed Martinez more than ever so you can't thank him for that.
2) Ah see, it's your opinion that he is being selfish and low life. Because it's an opinion and not a fact, you are attacking him. Otherwise I could say that you're a douche and claim that I'm not attacking you.

The timing makes no difference on how it reflects on him.

Reactions: saluno22
Cassell learned a WCO in college and had opportunities to show what he could do. Pro scouts knew what he could do and knew he was talented. NU had a backup QB on an NFL roster for a number of years. Of course NU ran a more pro-style type of offense back then to some degree. Brook Berringer supposedly would have been drafted in the 2nd round according to some people had he not died.

Brook Berringer played meaningful minutes in 1994 and 1995. Brook had 231 passing attempts at Nebraska.

Matt Cassel had limited playing time in college. Cassel only had 33 attempts at USC. New England took a chance on Cassel in the 7th round and got lucky...credit goes to Belichick and the Patriot Scouts. Matt Cassel has had a nice maybe even remarkable 14 year career in the NFL given his college career at USC. He has made close to 64 million of dollars heading into the 2018 season.

However, Matt Cassel is an anomaly given his college career...not the norm.

Last edited:
I think it was a hot headed move. Probably done out of emotion vs logic. I believe if the QB battle was as close as it seems, he had a very realistic shot to play and maybe take the starting job from Martinez.
However I don't fault him for wanting to move on and play. As I said in an earlier post, he is very talented and there are many good schools he could be starting for. I wish him the best and hope he finds what he is looking for.

It was done because of the way it was handled, not because he wasn't the starter.

Doesn't matter, though. The season starts Saturday. Let's hope AM is as good as we think he can be and stays healthy. Let's not forget SF is pretty young for a HC, so hopefully this is something he can learn and grow from.....along with Gebbia elsewhere.

Because if he won the job, no need for a contingency. That is sort of the point of having a contingency plan. If things do go as planned, I will do this. ha ha ha Contingency plans don't need to be shared. If I don't get this promotion to Assistant Principal, my contingency plan is to go to another school district and get a AP job there. I don't need to tell the decision makers that I have a plan in case I don't get the job I am interviewing for.

Good gravy man.
And his contingency plan is a big FU to Nebraska. He knew he was screwing Nebraska and he did it anyway. And yet some are surprised the kid is being called out for it.

And his contingency plan is a big FU to Nebraska. He knew he was screwing Nebraska and he did it anyway. And yet some are surprised the kid is being called out for it.

Geezus, Dude. You gonna be alright?

Ha ha he must have slept with your girl too.

Again, he made the best decision for him. It isn’t that hard to grasp. He Made the best decision for himself when he came to Nebraska originally. In HIS life, he will continue to make long term decisions that will best benefit him. Just like you do.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
It was done because of the way it was handled, not because he wasn't the starter.

Doesn't matter, though. The season starts Saturday. Let's hope AM is as good as we think he can be and stays healthy. Let's not forget SF is pretty young for a HC, so hopefully this is something he can learn and grow from.....along with Gebbia elsewhere.
So he's upset that the QB coach was the one to tell him? That seems kind of petty.... unless there is something else you are alluding to.....?

I get it that he wants to be eligible ASAP at some place to start. However, I thought for sure he'd let this year play out. I could have seen Gebbia as the starter at the end of the year, and I'm not saying that based on any possible injury to Martinez. Martinez still needs to prove it on the field against real competition. I thought Gebbia would look into a transfer after this year if it was clear Martinez had it locked up. Apparently he considers the competition over and done.

I think it's ok to rage a bit. Kid is an adult, and is responsible for his actions. I already forgot his name.

How was it handled badly? It was a 2 way race, and only 1 can win the job. Is there more to the story?

I accept the behavior because I care more for a good individual than I do Nebraska football. I'm a huge fan, but if a player & good kid feels like Nebraska is no longer the place for them, then I'm not going to trash them on their way out and wish them the best.

1) Yes it may have been better, but it would only really matter if Martinez goes down early. It's not like Bunch is far behind because Gebbia stuck around. If anything, Gebbia sticking around until now pushed Martinez more than ever so you can't thank him for that.
2) Ah see, it's your opinion that he is being selfish and low life. Because it's an opinion and not a fact, you are attacking him. Otherwise I could say that you're a douche and claim that I'm not attacking you.

The timing makes no difference on how it reflects on him.
Did I attack you or something? why do you feel you have the right to attack me when we just do not feel the same way on a particular topic. Whichever way you want to shake it this only helps Gebbia and not NU and since I am an NU fan and not a Gebbia fan I tend to lean on the program side

By the way how do you know he is a good kid is this a friend of yours or something? if so and you have some inside information please share

Reactions: oldjar07
Holy cow, I predicted that he would transfer but I thought that he would let the season play out. I question his judgment. I suspect that the kid has had a little too much privilege growing up.

He fits better in a system which better fits his skills but, at this point, you stick it out for the season when you are the back-up, be ready to play, and then make your move early next year.

I would have done it in the spring. Not now.

Now it looks like he is only concerned with himself. When you play a team sport, the well-being of the team should be your concern. Now is not the time to make this move. If he wanted to leave, he needed to do it before spending a month with his brothers while preparing for the season.

That doesn't make any sense if you think you might win the job, which he clearly did think, and moreover nearly accomplished.

I am noting a trend with anyone who thinks Gebbia's decision to transfer now doesn't make any sense--they're apparently incapable of looking at the issue from any perspective other than the jilted fan whose team just lost a significant player, if not based on his talent alone then in terms of the teams' depth at his position.

It does not look to me like "he is only concerned with himself." It looks to me like he is more concerned about his future than the future of our team, which does not imply (a) that he cares not at all about the team nor (b) had the competition turned out differently he would not be a great teammate and leader, which he had been by all accounts up to this point.

Holy cow, I predicted that he would transfer but I thought that he would let the season play out. I question his judgment. I suspect that the kid has had a little too much privilege growing up.

He fits better in a system which better fits his skills but, at this point, you stick it out for the season when you are the back-up, be ready to play, and then make your move early next year.

3 years vs 2 years. Simple math

THIS!

Pisses me off that some of our "fans" are saying such utter crap about him. He's a kid and he has an D1 athlete's ego. Nothing new to see here. Like dingle said, this is the first time in a while that the bandaids are being ripped off. I know TG loves Lincoln, but he's doing what's best for him and Frost is doing what he thinks is best for his football program.

Do you blame Kyler Murray for transferring to OU from aTm? Now he's the starter for OU.
Shea Patterson for leaving Ole Miss for UM? Starter.
Joe Burrows for leaving OSU for LSU? Starter.

Obviously we can have our own opinions, but to the posters who are posting that complete garbage about someone who is probably half your age and don't even know how hard he worked to be the starter, I'll be expecting you when our offense or defense struggles, or anything else you feel obligated to whine about.
and Scott Frost for leaving Stanford for Nebraska? Starter and National Champ

Well I was the a-hole on this board telling you all that the QB battle was bs and a dog and pony show to keep TG from leaving. Go back and look.

To those that think SF is some kind of saint, he isn't.

So how did the handling of this keep Gebbia from leaving?

It's been announced that he's transferring

Reactions: SOHusker11
What's the point in following Nebraska football if you don't let it affect you emotionally? When you watch a game do you sit there like a robot and don't care how we're playing? You don't cheer when we score a touchdown and yell at the tv when we give up one? I do both of those things and wouldn't even watch if I couldn't.

This is a crappy situation that left us with 1 scholarship qb able to play this year. This easily could cost us a game or two or possibly more this year if Martinez gets banged up.

Wait a second, you're right . . . THAT BASTARD!
Absolutely, this decision doesn't affect only himself but that's the only thing he was thinking about.

You truly are a gift; you can read minds! Are you still feeling a little blue? Seriously, your favorite poem, please recite it for me.

You guys act like tough guys but whine like lil beeatches.

Reactions: red-one21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT