ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

Bad response dude. I think you are smarter than this.
There are any number of kids who have been highly rated and think the NFL is in their future, but it turns out that it isn't. Gebbia may be one of the kids that makes it. But he also may be a kid who ends up being a 5th year grad transfer to a program somewhere. I get that he has to do what's right for him. But I am not sure that leaving a program at the first sign of adversity is the right play.

Frost already did put his stamp on it by choosing Martinez - is there anyone on this board now that thinks Gebbia was the right choice given what he did the day after he lost a very close competition
I don't think him leaving has any bearing on whether or not it was the right decision. He's doing what he feels he has to do. Period. I suspect he hates leaving his friends and this school. Obviously Frost has stated multiple times that once he named his starter it was going to be tough to unseat him. Clearly Gebbia doesn't think the odds are great for him to play so he's doing what he think has to do to reach his goals. This isn't like RB where you're going to still play a bunch if your 2nd team.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Frost already did put his stamp on it by choosing Martinez - is there anyone on this board now that thinks Gebbia was the right choice given what he did the day after he lost a very close competition
Martinez is the right choice because Frost feels like he's the right choice. Not because Gebbia is transferring after not getting the nod.

It's sad that a few posters feel slighted by Gebbia.

Both of these players are freshman the audition for starter had just begun and would have ultimately been decided on the field and who performed best - I sure can say at this point Gebbia would have been the wrong decision
You obviously wouldn't be making this claim had Gebbia been named that starter. You're basing your thoughts solely off of Gebbia transferring. Nothing else. Makes no sense.

Because they're emotional children who grew adult bodies but never adult minds.
There is a difference between being an A-hole and questioning whether hitting the transfer button right away is a good move. Chances are the kid gets a chance to play valuable snaps this year against quality competition. Compare that to schlepping at some JUCO or sitting yet another year and running scout team while the other QBs on the roster are gaining valuable experience.

Reactions: Bruce1981
If Gebbia has NFL aspirations, he better put on about 25 more pounds in the next few years.

Almost zero QBs who weigh less than 215 pounds even get drafted, let alone actually play in the NFL.
What college kid doesn't put on 20 lbs his junior and senior years? BEER!!!

Sure would be nice to eventually hear after all this is official the reactions of the leaders on our team about Gebbia. Would those guys be "petty teenage girls" by expressing their anger about a teammate leaving them with only 1 available scholarship QB 6 days before the 1st game of the season? If every single one of our players who didn't get named 1st string on the depth chart decided to transfer 6 days before our 1st game then I too would say Gebbia doesn't deserve to be singled out about his selfishness in this situation. But fact is he is the only one right now who is acting like a spoiled brat and deserting all of his teammates/friends and leaving them in a very bad situation here.
You're assuming the current players are pissed at Gebbia for transferring. I'm going to go out on a limb as say most would understand Gebbia's decision and support him.

Reactions: timnsun
Wish we could let some of these keyboard warriors take a few inside handoffs through the 300 pounders into the 230 pounders in the 100+ heat index in full pads and record video of how fast they couldn't take it any more after getting smacked by linebackers and frog splashed by DTs. But they wanna name-call the kids who are out there putting the work in.

I don't think him leaving has any bearing on whether or not it was the right decision. He's doing what he feels he has to do. Period. I suspect he hates leaving his friends and this school. Obviously Frost has stated multiple times that once he named his starter it was going to be tough to unseat him. Clearly Gebbia doesn't think the odds are great for him to play so he's doing what he think has to do to reach his goals. This isn't like RB where you're going to still play a bunch if your 2nd team.

Well, deserting your team six days before the 1st game.......that stings a little bit. But, when you're 19 or so years old it's sometimes almost impossible to think straight.

The best to Gebbia.....sometimes it's a rough damn business.

And if the NFL was in his future, I'd think he would beat out a kid who was a true frosh and who didn't play FB his senior year in HS.

Maybe if he was playing in an NFL offense that best suited his strengths and he was an upperclassman, not a redshirt freshman himself.

Reactions: spinner4
This decision by Gebbia hurts NU and only benefits this kid, he also knew about the decision before this and was not honest with the coaches - I do not respect this
I missed it, what was Gebbia not honest about with the coaches?

2. This move is premeditated- He and maybe his parents had made contingency plans in case he was not named starter - fine - However was this communicated to the coaching staff ( short answer is no) and why because they would have made the QB decision earlier and given a lot more attention to other players
This decision by Gebbia hurts NU and only benefits this kid, he also knew about the decision before this and was not honest with the coaches - I do not respect this
Very doubtful that this was communicated to the coaches, but if contingency plans were in the offing, there is a good chance they knew that. Had the staff known, I think maybe Bunch would have stayed in the mix, if only as NU's contingency plan.

I missed it, what was Gebbia not honest about with the coaches?
do you really think this was a knee jerk reaction on his part - hardly - this was something he had discussed with his parents and made plans on

" If I am not named the start I am going to immediately transfer" why not be transparent about this

do you really think this was a knee jerk reaction on his part - hardly - this was something he had discussed with his parents and made plans on

" If I am not named the start I am going to immediately transfer" why not be transparent about this

Because if he won the job, no need for a contingency. That is sort of the point of having a contingency plan. If things do go as planned, I will do this. ha ha ha Contingency plans don't need to be shared. If I don't get this promotion to Assistant Principal, my contingency plan is to go to another school district and get a AP job there. I don't need to tell the decision makers that I have a plan in case I don't get the job I am interviewing for.

Good gravy man.

1) Total speculation. It doesn't take much to decide that you want to transfer.
2) Gebbia would be coming off like he was giving the coaches an ultimatum. Can you imagine if Gebbia walked into Frost's office and said, "Just so you know, if I don't get the starting job I'm transferring." Then can you imagine the backlash towards Gebbia if that ever got out?

Mark it down, first move my Scott Frost that has husker fans dividend.

Best Case Scenario - AM kills it this year, stays healthy all year, and none of us think what could have been with Gebbia

Worst Case Scenario - AM looks like crap and/or gets hurt and the fishbowl starts doubting Scott.

Scott sure didn't take the path of least resistance with this move naming AM the starter. But I love his honesty. Lets hope this turns into a none issue or else we will have a Bunch of problems.

Gebbia was Riley's guy. He saw the writing on the wall that Martinez is Frost's hand picked guy. Plus we're getting Vedral and McCaffrey for next year. Do I think it's a rash decision, yes. But he's a talented kid and will land somewhere else.
This. Gebbia made a rational decision about what was best for his career. He saw the handwriting on the wall. He is just not the kind of QB Frost wants for his system. Martinez this year, then McCaffrey. End of story

Come on. I think we all suspected that this might be the result if the decision came down the way that it has. Stanton left after being the touted California kid (and got starts at UNLV). O'Brien left after being the touted California kid and is reportedly settling in well in Ft. Collins. AJ Bush left and is starting in Champaign. Gebbia is leaving after being the touted California kid. Would you rather sit on the bench for 4 more years in Lincoln or start in Corvallis, Oxford, Tucson or Waco?

Am I disappointed? Absolutely because I like Gebbia and like what I think he can do in this offense. But my disappointment is no reason to criticize a kid who does not want to sit on the bench for a 4-8 team. I wish him well. Even more than that, I wish that he would pull an "Eric Crouch" and think twice about his decision.

Mark it down, first move my Scott Frost that has husker fans dividend.

Best Case Scenario - AM kills it this year, stays healthy all year, and none of us think what could have been with Gebbia

Worst Case Scenario - AM looks like crap and/or gets hurt and the fishbowl starts doubting Scott.

Scott sure didn't take the path of least resistance with this move naming AM the starter. But I love his honesty. Lets hope this turns into a none issue or else we will have a Bunch of problems.
How in the hell are you blaming Frost? This is ludicrous.

I truly do not get this type of thinking maybe its a sign of the times I guess.

1. This move this late in the game hurts NU football which the reason we are here
2. This move is premeditated- He and maybe his parents had made contingency plans in case he was not named starter - fine - However was this communicated to the coaching staff ( short answer is no) and why because they would have made the QB decision earlier and given a lot more attention to other players

It's not about you and your favorite team on Earth. Gebbia is easily a starter on a P5 team. He stuck it out last year when he redshirted. Having that talent I would have transferred.

This kind of ticks me off to be honest. He swore up and down in the spring when he was asked about possibly transferring if he didn't win the job he would stay because Nebraska 'was his home and his teammates were his brothers.' What a load of bullcrap, if he doesn't want to be here fine. We don't need him, Bunchy and Vedral will be solid backups

This. Gebbia made a rational decision about what was best for his career. He saw the handwriting on the wall. He is just not the kind of QB Frost wants for his system. Martinez this year, then McCaffrey. End of story

Agreed. It's really not all that shocking, unless you really thought that TG was going to be the starter.

Best of luck, son. Hope we meet up on some Saturday down the road.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
It's not about you and your favorite team on Earth. Gebbia is easily a starter on a P5 team. He stuck it out last year when he redshirted. Having that talent I would have transferred.
hey did I attack the kid or you for that matter why attack me - the kid said one thing and did another in the process he bailed on teammates and coaches even though they supported him - transfer at the end of the year fine 5 days before the first game is pretty selfish and low life if you ask - either way quit making personal attacks against someone who does not agree with your take on things

Love the picture...shows how skinny and unimpressive he is...he should spend another year in the system...bulk up bit, learn from some great qb minds, and maybe come in and play. When a guy transfers this quickly it seems to me he has no chance in the system. He must be WAY behind because if Martinez is blinded by the lights next Saturday Gebbia is in.

This kind of ticks me off to be honest. He swore up and down in the spring when he was asked about possibly transferring if he didn't win the job he would stay because Nebraska 'was his home and his teammates were his brothers.' What a load of bullcrap, if he doesn't want to be here fine. We don't need him, Bunchy and Vedral will be solid backups
IIRC that was him talking about not transferring once Riley was fired, not what he would do if he lost the QB battle.

I truly do not get this type of thinking maybe its a sign of the times I guess.

1. This move this late in the game hurts NU football which the reason we are here

It's not the same. He wasn't recruited for this style of play by this staff. Even then, stuck it out and made it a competition. Next year you have Adrian, Noah and Luke. All recruited and have a different skill set than Tristan. if he didn't start this year he was never going to start under this staff. Not to mention he doesn't have a redshirt to burn so if his clock has started and he can transfer now to a juco, get playing time and film and pick a school and system that fits him. If he stays, he may or may not play and will have to sit out next year at whatever school he transfer to or go juco and complete that process with a wasted year or so.

Love the picture...shows how skinny and unimpressive he is...he should spend another year in the system...bulk up bit, learn from some great qb minds, and maybe come in and play. When a guy transfers this quickly it seems to me he has no chance in the system. He must be WAY behind because if Martinez is blinded by the lights next Saturday Gebbia is in.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

IIRC that was him talking about not transferring once Riley was fired, not what he would do if he lost the QB battle.
Oh, you may be right, however it still paints him as disingenuous. If he wants out then fine. I was never sold on him anyway and he needs to put on 25 pounds before he's going to get an FBS job.

Last edited:
Best of luck to him. I was hoping he'd stay if only to have a backup with potential in the event of an injury. Can't blame him though for transferring with a same class QB winning the job.

Reactions: HuskerO
I have no animosity towards Gebbia but I am an NU football fan and not here to cheer some kid who through his actions hurts the teams chance this year. What I wonder is why any fan would support this type of response to not getting named the starter.

I believe now we dodged a bullet with this kid - name him the starter and he struggles and it would have even been worse.

Just because you call a kid out for his actions does not mean you are being an A-hole
Dodged a bullet? You make me laugh

Reactions: HuskerO
People calling him a "pussy" and a POS and questioning his manhood freaking kill me. ALL we have ever heard of was how hard he works, his commitment to getting better, and how well he got along with is players. This isn't about a kid abandoning his team, its about wanting to lead a team, and understanding that he has almost no chance to do that here, even if he outplayed Martinez, which I'm sure he felt he did. He didn't shrink from anything, he just has a very limited window to do what he has always wanted to do. I wish to gawd he was staying, but I don't fault him for trying to fulfill his dream, because it isn't happening here.

Ftw.

B/c I’d assume that making that statement would have a negative effect on my chances to win the job of it was me. Jalen Hurts has been getting criticized for doing just that and he has a route to be able to grad transfer, so he doesn’t lose a year.

STFU you idiot Gebbia has already asked for his release. That's a child's mentality. "You can't transfer, you're kicked off the team! Nobody quits me, I'm Scott Effing Frost!"

Get out of here with that idiocy.
"Did you fire Tony Gardner when he was trying to quit?!" - Jan to Michael on 'The Office'

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT