ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

People calling him a "pussy" and a POS and questioning his manhood freaking kill me. ALL we have ever heard of was how hard he works, his commitment to getting better, and how well he got along with is players. This isn't about a kid abandoning his team, its about wanting to lead a team, and understanding that he has almost no chance to do that here, even if he outplayed Martinez, which I'm sure he felt he did. He didn't shrink from anything, he just has a very limited window to do what he has always wanted to do. I wish to gawd he was staying, but I don't fault him for trying to fulfill his dream, because it isn't happening here.

Hell yes! And you know what, Solich should have had some balls and kicked Crouch off the team! Prima Donna!

(dumb post OP)

Reactions: HuskerO
Not sure why so many people are being such A-Holes to Gebbia. Everyone doing it looks like a petty teenage girl who got dumped and now she's going all scorched earth.
If it makes you feel better @litespeedhuskerfan, I don't give a flip one way or the other about the QB situation. I'm just hoping Nebraska football gets back to playing tough and to stop looking like they're scared to go up against the best teams. I think getting back to that level will take growing pains.

Reactions: Nebraskakid555
People calling him a "pussy" and a POS and questioning his manhood freaking kill me. ALL we have ever heard of was how hard he works, his commitment to getting better, and how well he got along with is players. This isn't about a kid abandoning his team, its about wanting to lead a team, and understanding that he has almost no chance to do that here, even if he outplayed Martinez, which I'm sure he felt he did. He didn't shrink from anything, he just has a very limited window to do what he has always wanted to do. I wish to gawd he was staying, but I don't fault him for trying to fulfill his dream, because it isn't happening here.

THIS!

Pisses me off that some of our "fans" are saying such utter crap about him. He's a kid and he has an D1 athlete's ego. Nothing new to see here. Like dingle said, this is the first time in a while that the bandaids are being ripped off. I know TG loves Lincoln, but he's doing what's best for him and Frost is doing what he thinks is best for his football program.

Do you blame Kyler Murray for transferring to OU from aTm? Now he's the starter for OU.
Shea Patterson for leaving Ole Miss for UM? Starter.
Joe Burrows for leaving OSU for LSU? Starter.

Obviously we can have our own opinions, but to the posters who are posting that complete garbage about someone who is probably half your age and don't even know how hard he worked to be the starter, I'll be expecting you when our offense or defense struggles, or anything else you feel obligated to whine about.

Last edited:
Both of these players are freshman the audition for starter had just begun and would have ultimately been decided on the field and who performed best - I sure can say at this point Gebbia would have been the wrong decision

The audition was over. You can believe it was ongoing if you want, but the decision was made. Gebbia made a choice to leave, AFTER that decision was made.

Not sure why so many people are being such A-Holes to Gebbia. Everyone doing it looks like a petty teenage girl who got dumped and now she's going all scorched earth.
I have no animosity towards Gebbia but I am an NU football fan and not here to cheer some kid who through his actions hurts the teams chance this year. What I wonder is why any fan would support this type of response to not getting named the starter.

I believe now we dodged a bullet with this kid - name him the starter and he struggles and it would have even been worse.

Just because you call a kid out for his actions does not mean you are being an A-hole

Sure would be nice to eventually hear after all this is official the reactions of the leaders on our team about Gebbia. Would those guys be "petty teenage girls" by expressing their anger about a teammate leaving them with only 1 available scholarship QB 6 days before the 1st game of the season? If every single one of our players who didn't get named 1st string on the depth chart decided to transfer 6 days before our 1st game then I too would say Gebbia doesn't deserve to be singled out about his selfishness in this situation. But fact is he is the only one right now who is acting like a spoiled brat and deserting all of his teammates/friends and leaving them in a very bad situation here.

The audition was over. You can believe it was ongoing if you want, but the decision was made. Gebbia made a choice to leave, AFTER that decision was made.
So if martinez turns into a turnover machine - Frost sticks with him even though it costs game - You really do not believe that do you?

RollingLaugh @ all you fvcking cry babies letting a kids decision affect you emotionally.

giphy.gif

I have no animosity towards Gebbia but I am an NU football fan and not here to cheer some kid who through his actions hurts the teams chance this year. What I wonder is why any fan would support this type of response to not getting named the starter.

I believe now we dodged a bullet with this kid - name him the starter and he struggles and it would have even been worse.

Just because you call a kid out for his actions does not mean you are being an A-hole

Some people are being A-Holes about it, this isn't debatable. Read some of those posts again. Gebbia isn't from here, committed to a different coach, and lost the starting job, he's doing what's best for him now and while I do not like the decision, and if he was my son I'd advise him to ride it out for at least this year, it's understandable and we look like douchebags for some of the stuff people are saying here.

Bummer. Selfishly, I wish he would have been here this year. Best of luck to him.
Exactly, it’s selfish for any husker fan to expect Tristan to ride the bench for 3 years barring injury just so our 3 deep is solid. Many on here are suggesting he’s a poor teammate b/c he’s “quitting on his team,” yet you’re not poor husker fans b/c you bash a hardworking husker for chasing his dreams.

Reactions: ssmill777
I say this was poorly played by Frost. There was no point in naming a clear-cut starter this year. We would've all hated it, but he could've said "we're playing two qb's this year until one takes the job." Saban is basically stringing his guys along to keep one from transferring. We'll be in deep if Martinez goes down.

Calling the kid a POS and a pussy makes you an A-hole. (Not saying you said those things, but some have)

So if martinez turns into a turnover machine - Frost sticks with him even though it costs game - You really do not believe that do you?
I hear what you are saying, but if Martinez kills it (Gebbia saw what he could do firsthand in practice) Gebbia will remain on the bench.

The point you are missing, is that in his press conference, Frost said the reason he went with Martinez was because of what he could do with his legs. Gebbia was never going to be as good as Martinez with his legs.

Coach Verduzco said in an interview that they were not going to have a short leash with the QB. So unless Martinez fell flat on his face, Gebbia wasn't going to get in a game. Frost also said that the back up wasn't going to get many meaningful snaps because the starter doesn't have much experience, so he needs all the snaps he can get.

The point you are missing, is that in his press conference, Frost said the reason he went with Martinez was because of what he could do with his legs. Gebbia was never going to be as good as Martinez with his legs.

Coach Verduzco said in an interview that they were not going to have a short leash with the QB. So unless Martinez fell flat on his face, Gebbia wasn't going to get in a game. Frost also said that the back up wasn't going to get many meaningful snaps because the starter doesn't have much experience, so he needs all the snaps he can get.
thats not what I heard in the press conference - Frost said it was important to get the backup snaps but said it would be situational and most likely not in the 1st/2nd quarter or when game is doubt. Either way makes no difference at this point I do not agree with how Gebbia just jetisoned his team mates so quickly. I do think Frost now made the right decision no matter how martinez performs

Here is a kid you didn’t lose the job. Did everything the coaches asked of him. And was passed over by a trFrosh. It’s clear that his style isn’t what Frost prefers. No matter what, TG would have to live with knowing he didn’t fit the preferred style of play by his coach, no matter how good he was. Not Scott’s fault. Not Gebbia fault

Gebbia has been nothing but a great teammate throughout this coaching change. Am sure the players wish him the best of luck like MOST fans do. Best of Luck Tristan and am sure we will watch you afar in the future and root for you as long as you dont play Nebraska.

We don't need a Prima Donna in the locker room. No excuse, on the first depth chart, to skip and disrupt the TEAM prior to the first game. Be a man, be a team player, keep your head up and go out and continue to compete.

A kid like this, we don't need as a leader on the team. Send a message to everyone on the team that this behavior is unacceptable.

EDIT: I missed the update where he has asked for release and dropped all classes. This post is irrelevant, I was under the assumption he was just "skipping practices".
The kid didnt come here to be a back up and ride the bench and hope the starter gets hurt..You cant blame him for deciding to go somewhere where his passing can be put to full use and get him to the next level..

I.m sure Frost and company knew this was going to be a possiblity and prepaired for it.Didnt Scott Frost leave Stanford because the coaching changed and he would of been riding the bench..

Last edited:
Always find these situations fascinating. When Nebraska moves on from a kid because he isn't hacking it (which has happened a lot this off-season) we seem to cheer the fact that we are "clearing out the dead weight" and "opening up another scholarship" but when a kid we want here sees better opportunities elsewhere and leaves he is a "pos" and a "pussy"... I don't believe that we can have it both ways.

I am bummed Gebbia is transferring but I understand his decision. Good luck to him. Let's move on and root for the guys still on the roster.

I don’t blame him for transferring. Would have preferred he did it earlier. He was not a fit - looked awkward (IMO) in the spring game. At best he was going to be a place holder until AM grew into the position or they recruited a better fit. A bit surprised that given his reported football IQ he thought he had any chance to be the guy for 4 years.

Reactions: bshirt73
It’s funny how we say someone is taking the easy way out. He could have easily left when there was a coaching philosophy change.
He stuck around, fought, made himself more well rounded, all the while forcing the best out of Martinez. The kid gets nothing but my respect.

Reactions: HuskerO
Anyone calling this kid names is classless themselves. He has done nothing but worked his ass off for NU. If most any of us were in his shoes right now they would be doing the same thing if they really wanted to play football instead of sitting on the bench hoping either the starter fails or gets hurt.

Reactions: red-one21
thats not what I heard in the press conference - Frost said it was important to get the backup snaps but said it would be situational and most likely not in the 1st/2nd quarter or when game is doubt. Either way makes no difference at this point I do not agree with how Gebbia just jetisoned his team mates so quickly. I do think Frost now made the right decision no matter how martinez performs

Most likely not in the 1st or 2nd quarter is my definition of meaningful snaps. The only time the back up is going to get playing time is when Nebraska has a comfortable lead. Those are not meaningful snaps.

I didn't say Frost didn't make the right choice. I figured Martinez would start. I just don't think you can say, because Gebbia transferred, that it proves Frost made the right choice.

And if it was your son who was highly rated and had NFL aspirations, you'd be be on the phone talking to other schools right now, if you didn't already have a contingency plan in place.
And if the NFL was in his future, I'd think he would beat out a kid who was a true frosh and who didn't play FB his senior year in HS.

Does anyone remember Matt Cassell at USC. He had NFL talent and never got a chance to play in college. It ended up working out for him in the end as he’s still in the NFL but you can’t fault a guy like Gebbia for wanting a chance to get on the field.

Gebbia gave it his best shot at NU. I hope he kills it at his next school.

I say this was poorly played by Frost. There was no point in naming a clear-cut starter this year. We would've all hated it, but he could've said "we're playing two qb's this year until one takes the job." Saban is basically stringing his guys along to keep one from transferring. We'll be in deep if Martinez goes down.
Frost has been pretty clear, having been a QB himself, that having a starter named if the evaluation allows, is the thing to do. Having your QB constantly looking over his shoulder is not a good thing. And I very much doubt he was going to change his philosophy just to keep a kid in the room that couldn't win the job outright.

Reactions: saluno22
It’s funny how we say someone is taking the easy way out. He could have easily left when there was a coaching philosophy change.
He stuck around, fought, made himself more well rounded, all the while forcing the best out of Martinez. The kid gets nothing but my respect.
I truly do not get this type of thinking maybe its a sign of the times I guess.

1. This move this late in the game hurts NU football which the reason we are here
2. This move is premeditated- He and maybe his parents had made contingency plans in case he was not named starter - fine - However was this communicated to the coaching staff ( short answer is no) and why because they would have made the QB decision earlier and given a lot more attention to other players

This decision by Gebbia hurts NU and only benefits this kid, he also knew about the decision before this and was not honest with the coaches - I do not respect this

Does anyone remember Matt Cassell at USC. He had NFL talent and never got a chance to play in college. It ended up working out for him in the end as he’s still in the NFL but you can’t fault a guy like Gebbia for wanting a chance to get on the field.

Gebbia gave it his best shot at NU. I hope he kills it at his next school.
Cassell learned a WCO in college and had opportunities to show what he could do. Pro scouts knew what he could do and knew he was talented. NU had a backup QB on an NFL roster for a number of years. Of course NU ran a more pro-style type of offense back then to some degree. Brook Berringer supposedly would have been drafted in the 2nd round according to some people had he not died.

Reactions: Cam82huskers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT