ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

It's his decision but IMO Gebbia is really playing the short game with this. Worked his butt off for 8 months and is one play away from starting. At a minimum, go through spring ball next year and see where you stand with AMart and Vedral.

Reactions: mmunso7 and B3Vandy
Man, when things happen under this staff, they happen fast. What a drag!

More growing pains. Next man up.

And if it was your son who was highly rated and had NFL aspirations, you'd be be on the phone talking to other schools right now, if you didn't already have a contingency plan in place.
I feel like this was the contingency plan. Stay through the transition. See how things worked out with the new coaching staff through spring and fall camp. And when the depth chart was announced, make a final decision.

Best of luck to the young man in his future endeavors. Saban has shown the way by drawing out the QB battle wo getting the backup transfer. That is why he is the KING.

Reactions: dinglefritz
He needs to be a MAN and tell all his teammates face to face that he is leaving them in this situation one week before our first game. I just don't get kids these days. Do they really expect everything in life to be just handed over to them?
He stayed on the team after a coaching transition with a new coach who handpicked a new QB recruit to run an entirely different kind of offense than he was recruited to run. By all reports, he embraced the competition in the off-season and did what was expected of him in terms of S&C, learning the playbook, and so on.

I don't see an attitude of "expecting everything in life to be just handed over" to him in any of that.

He gave it his best shot, and it didn't work out. Sticking it out here in anticipation of Martinez either fizzling out or getting hurt would be a gamble if he's hoping to get playing time and make it to the next level.

We don't need a Prima Donna in the locker room. No excuse, on the first depth chart, to skip and disrupt the TEAM prior to the first game. Be a man, be a team player, keep your head up and go out and continue to compete.

A kid like this, we don't need as a leader on the team. Send a message to everyone on the team that this behavior is unacceptable.

EDIT: I missed the update where he has asked for release and dropped all classes. This post is irrelevant, I was under the assumption he was just "skipping practices".

Last edited:
Best of luck to the young man in his future endeavors. Saban has shown the way by drawing out the QB battle wo getting the backup transfer. That is why he is the KING.
I suspected this would be drug out as long as possible to prevent a transfer, but I'm not sure in the end this was the best approach. IF Gebbia had an extra day or two to think about his decision, me may have stayed. Frost is definitely a band-aid ripper though and he's not repeating Riley's mistake about trying to not hurt player feelings. The whole BS about Bo posters in lockers and some of the crap that Riley put up with was sickening. Frost isn't having it. Take the coaching decisions or leave. He doesn't care.

We don't need a Prima Donna in the locker room. No excuse, on the first depth chart, to skip and disrupt the TEAM prior to the first game. Be a man, be a team player, keep your head up and go out and continue to compete.

A kid like this, we don't need as a leader on the team. Send a message to everyone on the team that this behavior is unacceptable.
Already asked for release and dropped all classes. Frost suspends him now he looks petty and disconnected.

The worst thing he could do right now.

He is absolutely making the right decision. He's a very talented QB with seemingly all the intangibles you look for at that position. He needs to be leading a Power 5 school. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and he has the rare ability to do it.

This kid has been all about Nebraska since the day he verbally committed. He's always said the right things, even when his close friend transferred, when the coaches who recruited him were fired, and when he was asked to learn a completely new offensive system that doesn't naturally fit his skillset. I wish this kid nothing but the best. I will be rooting for him at his new school.

So that Vedral ruling may come back to bite us in the ass. Unless
1. Martinez is Ironman
2. Bunch is a bunch better than we think.

Frost already did put his stamp on it by choosing Martinez - is there anyone on this board now that thinks Gebbia was the right choice given what he did the day after he lost a very close competition

The two decisions don't have to be connected. You can't assume Gebbia would have been the wrong choice because he made a decision to put himself in a different position after he was told he wouldn't be the starter.

He is absolutely making the right decision. He's a very talented QB with seemingly all the intangibles you look for at that position. He needs to be leading a Power 5 school. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and he has the rare ability to do it.

This kid has been all about Nebraska since the day he verbally committed. He's always said the right things, even when his close friend transferred, when the coaches who recruited him were fired, and when he was asked to learn a completely new offensive system that doesn't naturally fit his skillset. I wish this kid nothing but the best. I will be rooting for him at his new school.
Nailed it. Thank you Tristan for staying through fall camp and increasing the competition in our qb room. Thank you for making Martinez a better qb. Good luck, kick some ass

where exactly is the evidence of these intangibles - He has not throw a D1 pass yet. Flip this around and say Frost picks him to start but he struggles and Martinez comes in and outperforms him - Does he then leave mid season or what

Reactions: WNYSker
Hate to say it but spoiled rich kid who has had everything handed to him his whole life. Just like Key Jr who has already washed out at Arizona I believe. Don't wanna fight or work if things don't go their way. Peace. Later
I disagree somewhat... he did fight tooth and nail right up until the starter was named. By all accounts, no one worked harder than TG. But, you are right in that once the starter was named, the fight quickly left.

Reactions: HuskerDana
The two decisions don't have to be connected. You can't assume Gebbia would have been the wrong choice because he made a decision to put himself in a different position after he was told he wouldn't be the starter.
Both of these players are freshman the audition for starter had just begun and would have ultimately been decided on the field and who performed best - I sure can say at this point Gebbia would have been the wrong decision

In defense of the kid Transferring, QB is the one position that once you fall behind on the depth chart to someone that has equal or more eligibility, you rarely see them overcome the starter...

A couple of reasons, they probably aren't as a good...but it is the one position that the starter rarely comes out, so you don't get any experience in game to prove the coaches wrong....barring an injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT