Gas is $2.90 in Lincoln and rising per my local guy

Woodrow-F-Call

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2006
I helped build a program to track input costs and net profit eleven years ago. On a daily basis. On farms from Nebraska through Maryland. Trust me when I tell you I have a lot more of these numbers in my head than you. So please define the year where your total input cost doubled from the previous year. And please define any statement that I've made that wasn't true.

I believe it was fall of 2013 I prepaid anhydrous in the summer for $340 a ton. By spring of 2014 it was over $700 a ton. Seed took a substantial increase that year and has never come down to the same levels as prior, even though commodities have. Prior to 2013, average cash rent price in my county was $75 an acre. It's closer to $140 now.

There is zero brand new iron on my farm or feedlot. I do 90% of my own maintenance. Does your input program cover the cost of maintenance on equipment and increases in parts materials? I 100% guarantee you equipment, parts and labor are up 30% in that time frame as well.

Stick to farm simulator 2K21 on your desktop old man.

• Haha
Reactions: sklarbodds

Woodrow-F-Call

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2006
Oh I have a whole lot of skin in this game Woodrow. In addition to being raised on a family farm, I've either worked for or withbean farmers for the past 52 years. I've been assisting Corn Belt and east coast producers with their grain and soy marketing since 1985.

And I'm still waiting for you to tell us which year your total input costs "double/tripled".

Let's see your equipment line and crop you've put in the ground this year. otherwise, no you don't have skin in the actual farming game.

Being raised on a farm 40 years ago is irrelevant to being a farmer/cattleman of today.

Woodrow-F-Call

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2006
Was going to ask why then forgot. Answered before asking. What about beans?

Beans are in high demand as well. Strong demand for Soy oil/meal, cant find/buy enough beans to meet crush demand. USDA basically fvcked us with no lube on them as well. i will Never forget in august of 2018 that they pinned Minnesota with a record soybean crop, but less than 20% of the states acres had set pods by mid August.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
Let's see your equipment line and crop you've put in the ground this year. otherwise, no you don't have skin in the actual farming game.

Being raised on a farm 40 years ago is irrelevant to being a farmer/cattleman of today.
I have a lot of skin in the market (it's been a nervous two weeks). And if my farm customers aren't doing well, then I'm not doing well. I share an office with a 10,000 acre producer, agronomy consultant and crop insurance agent and talk about input costs several times a week with my customers.

But again, you're the one talking about a doubling and tripling of your input cost and then telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. Do you not see the irony there?

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
Beans are in high demand as well. Strong demand for Soy oil/meal, cant find/buy enough beans to meet crush demand. USDA basically fvcked us with no lube on them as well. i will Never forget in august of 2018 that they pinned Minnesota with a record soybean crop, but less than 20% of the states acres had set pods by mid August.
The worst hosing was the June 30th, 2019 acreage report. That one sucked several hundred million out of the farm economy in minutes and they never rectified it until the Sept stocks report last fall. The Sonny Perdue years were the most grossly mismanaged ones in USDA history.

slattimer99

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2019
giphy.gif

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
I believe it was fall of 2013 I prepaid anhydrous in the summer for $340 a ton. By spring of 2014 it was over $700 a ton. Seed took a substantial increase that year and has never come down to the same levels as prior, even though commodities have. Prior to 2013, average cash rent price in my county was $75 an acre. It's closer to $140 now.

There is zero brand new iron on my farm or feedlot. I do 90% of my own maintenance. Does your input program cover the cost of maintenance on equipment and increases in parts materials? I 100% guarantee you equipment, parts and labor are up 30% in that time frame as well.

Your last line did make me chuckle to be honest. And yes, our program did take all of that into account. For those producers that struggled to come up with their own numbers, we incorporated land grant estimates, as well as area custom rates for each field operation. It was web based, so each day's closing prices for futures and applicable options were automatically downloaded. All unpriced bushels were valued daily at the closing futures price minus an estimated basis. Subtract out the input costs and we had a daily updated net profit or loss per bushel, acre or whole farm. Most of the design came from an Illinois producer that had worked with me for several years.

Reactions: Woodrow-F-Call

Woodrow-F-Call

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2006
Geez! Higher taxes and or prices are passed on to consumers! Its inflation, ever heard of it!

You're not wrong but you're not exactly right either.

Openly gay Democratic Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg wants to add a mileage tax, because the 24 cents per gallon and 18 cents on gasoline isn't enough I guess.

philosophusker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Jonesboro, Arkansas (York, NE originally)
There’s something really annoying about taking something as complex as why gas prices are going up right now and simply saying “Welp, Green new deal” or “Welp, there’s that inflation”...

I don’t understand half of everything feeding into it beyond demand coming back up post pandemic but it’s certainly not as simple as “those damn liberals are at it again”
If it is not spoon fed on Fox News, Trumpers are too lazy to seek out the truth.

philosophusker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Jonesboro, Arkansas (York, NE originally)
The superiority complex the modern left has is always hilarious. As if the average leftist doesn’t do the same with CNN or MSNBC.
But CNN does not spoon feed Libs things like windmills cause cancer.

My in-laws actually believe windmills cause cancer. They now believe Jewish space lasers cause forest fires too. They also think forest floors should be raked and are the responsibility of California, not the feds even though most forests in California are owned by the feds. They believe Cali has an electrical grid problem, but Texas electrical problems are cause by windmills. They believe Donald Trump invented vaccines. They believe wearing masks is a violation of their freedom but seatbelts are not. They think Bill gates put a chip in the vaccine to track them. Oh, and they believe Trump had the power to lower gas prices, and Biden has the power to raise gas prices. They believe Abraham Lincoln started the modern day Republican party, even though he was from Illinois, a Dem state they hate because it is too Dem.

Fox News viewers are uneducated gullible nincompoops so they believe everything they hear.

CNN viewers went to college and developed critical thinking skills so not a good comparison.

Last edited:

...TrueColors...

College Football Hall of Fame
Jan 22, 2009
But CNN does not spoon feed Libs things like windmills cause cancer.

My in-laws actually believe windmills cause cancer. They now believe Jewish space lasers cause forest fires too. They believe Donald Trump invented vaccines.

Fox News viewers are uneducated gullible nincompoops so they believe everything they hear.

CNN viewers went to college and developed critical thinking skills so not a good comparison.

Lol. This post is a load of shit and is nothing more than partisan hackery.

...TrueColors...

Jan 22, 2009
I do actually. 100%. That's why I said OANN and Newsmax are the real culprits of the conspiracy obsessed right leaning folk

The hardcore left and the hardcore right are the exact same person. Both tend to not like how I view things.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
The hardcore left and the hardcore right are the exact same person. Both tend to not like how I view things.
I'd generally agree with you. I would probably edit that slightly and say they both ebb and flow and the right is flowing like a mofo right now... (and I would have said that about the left for sure not too long ago...especially with the Bernie, AOC, Tahlib crowds).

But I do agree that the extremes of both generally are not good for the country and very similar in their neuroticness (made up word).

The problem really right now is that some of these crazy ass conspiracies are taking a real foothold in the party. Election was stolen (if you know math, scale, etc at all that's basically impossible), the left are all elite pedos (and Pence and Roberts for some reason), Covid was a hoax, Jewish space lasers starting wildfires (what makes a laser Jewish??), etc. etc.

If you think about it, it's not that hard to see why...in uncertain times people definitely look to anything that makes sense of chaos. It's hard to understand that nature is a jackass sometimes and diseases outbreak and try to kill us. It's low hanging fruit to then take this big scary not understood thing and attach it to another struggle you see on a large scale (political rhetoric against Trump that was often out of control and unfair).

But that's just not reality. It was a worldwide pandemic and it for sure shows our arrogance that it's all about the US.

It will probably swing back at some point. The looney let will be the fringe again someday probably.

...TrueColors...

Jan 22, 2009
I'd generally agree with you. I would probably edit that slightly and say they both ebb and flow and the right is flowing like a mofo right now... (and I would have said that about the left for sure not too long ago...especially with the Bernie, AOC, Tahlib crowds).

But I do agree that the extremes of both generally are not good for the country and very similar in their neuroticness (made up word).

The problem really right now is that some of these crazy ass conspiracies are taking a real foothold in the party. Election was stolen (if you know math, scale, etc at all that's basically impossible), the left are all elite pedos (and Pence and Roberts for some reason), Covid was a hoax, Jewish space lasers starting wildfires (what makes a laser Jewish??), etc. etc.

If you think about it, it's not that hard to see why...in uncertain times people definitely look to anything that makes sense of chaos. It's hard to understand that nature is a jackass sometimes and diseases outbreak and try to kill us. It's low hanging fruit to then take this big scary not understood thing and attach it to another struggle you see on a large scale (political rhetoric against Trump that was often out of control and unfair).

But that's just not reality. It was a worldwide pandemic and it for sure shows our arrogance that it's all about the US.

It will probably swing back at some point. The looney let will be the fringe again someday probably.

On the flip side, systemic police racism that stops at nothing to gun down black men by the thousands was a factually untrue narrative that is right at the heart of the Democrat narrative currently and accepted by basically every left leaning lawmaker. A false narrative that’s cost lives and billions of dollars as well as affected policy.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
On the flip side, systemic police racism that stops at nothing to gun down black men by the thousands was a factually untrue narrative that is right at the heart of the Democrat narrative currently and accepted by basically every left leaning lawmaker. A false narrative that’s cost lives and billions of dollars as well as affected policy.
Yeah, I suppose that's fair. I don't know if I ever heard the phrase "by the thousands" but it's kind of one of those things that don't need exaggeration to be bad.

It's actually why I get super triggered when people say dumb sh*t like "there has been 182 mass shootings since Jan 1st".

No. There's been like 60-70 since the 1960's. There's no reason to change the definition of a shooting just to make your numbers look better. They're still awful.

So yeah, even if it's 10-20 black people that get unfairly shot by police per year that's still a real problem...hell, even if it's 5. And that's just shootings...

No doubt there's some culpability of the media on both sides for making this country worse. I would argue they're the real root of the problem we find ourselves in right now...but unfortunately we (Americans) keep tuning in and making their $$$$ skyrocket the more extreme they get. I honestly don't know what the solution is.

Reactions: nelsonj22

...TrueColors...

Jan 22, 2009
Yeah, I suppose that's fair. I don't know if I ever heard the phrase "by the thousands" but it's kind of one of those things that don't need exaggeration to be bad.

It's actually why I get super triggered when people say dumb sh*t like "there has been 182 mass shootings since Jan 1st".

No. There's been like 60-70 since the 1960's. There's no reason to change the definition of a shooting just to make your numbers look better. They're still awful.

So yeah, even if it's 10-20 black people that get unfairly shot by police per year that's still a real problem...hell, even if it's 5. And that's just shootings...

No doubt there's some culpability of the media on both sides for making this country worse. I would argue they're the real root of the problem we find ourselves in right now...but unfortunately we (Americans) keep tuning in and making their $$$$ skyrocket the more extreme they get. I honestly don't know what the solution is.

To lightly touch on that subject, I’m not anti-police, but I do believe the state will roll over every single one of your rights given the chance if you don’t have proper representation. They don’t pull anyone over with the intent to shoot and kill them. They definitely want to pop you for SomethingGoing a step further, proper representation is unattainable for a lot of people. The average citizen can’t fork out $300 an hour for an experienced attorney that has relationships with prosecutors.

Having said that, when we accuse someone (cop or not) of murder we better damn well have substantial evidence to suggest murder is the appropriate charge. The police aren’t my best friends, but I’ll fight for any person’s right to have their day in court and be afforded all other applicable rights in the process.

The last sentence in the above paragraph is why I can’t stand the media. In every single instance, one station had someone convicted of murder before any evidence was presented and the other has someone completely exonerated. They do it even with their legal experts on the screen so they can prop up their shitty points and the rest of the world will just take their word for it.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
To lightly touch on that subject, I’m not anti-police, but I do believe the state will roll over every single one of your rights given the chance if you don’t have proper representation. They don’t pull anyone over with the intent to shoot and kill them. They definitely want to pop you for SomethingGoing a step further, proper representation is unattainable for a lot of people. The average citizen can’t fork out $300 an hour for an experienced attorney that has relationships with prosecutors.

Having said that, when we accuse someone (cop or not) of murder we better damn well have substantial evidence to suggest murder is the appropriate charge. The police aren’t my best friends, but I’ll fight for any person’s right to have their day in court and be afforded all other applicable rights in the process.

The last sentence in the above paragraph is why I can’t stand the media. In every single instance, one station had someone convicted of murder before any evidence was presented and the other has someone completely exonerated. They do it even with their legal experts on the screen so they can prop up their shitty points and the rest of the world will just take their word for it.
I don't disagree with any of that

...TrueColors...

Jan 22, 2009
You must really be ashamed of Trump's appointments like sleepy Ben Carson, Betsy DeVos or Ivanka/Jarod

Whataboutism doesn’t change the fact that Pete Bootyjuice is completely unqualified for his position and may have a say in the spending within the infrastructure bill. One that’ll run us 2 trillion.

Jim14510

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
Whataboutism doesn’t change the fact that Pete Bootyjuice is completely unqualified for his position and may have a say in the spending within the infrastructure bill. One that’ll run us 2 trillion.
Getting picky here but its down to 1.7 and he'll only have control over about 680 bil at the most.

Reactions: scopeandtime

...TrueColors...

Jan 22, 2009
Getting picky here but its down to 1.7 and he'll only have control over about 680 bil at the most.

So a dude who was mayor of a town that’s all of 100k people ten minutes ago will have control over 680 billion dollars who has absolutely zero experience in any related field.

I’m all for giving people opportunities. But when you do, you probably shouldn’t put them in charge of more money than God has ever seen Himself as one of their first tasks. This sounds like absolute incompetence.

Last edited:

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
So a dude who was mayor of a town the size of Bellevue ten minutes ago will have control over 680 billion dollars who has absolutely zero experience in any related field.

I’m all for giving people opportunities. But when you do, you probably shouldn’t put them in charge of more money than God has ever seen Himself as one of their first tasks. This sounds like absolute incompetence.
Do you think he's gonna buy lemonade stands and jazzercise videos for department leaders?

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
So a dude who was mayor of a town that’s all of 100k people ten minutes ago will have control over 680 billion dollars who has absolutely zero experience in any related field.

I didn't mean he was qualified. I don't really have an opinion on that because I don't know much about him. I was just correcting your numbers.

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
Nebraska, Iowa is @3.7%

These are pretty close to "zero" or natural unemployment which means they don't get much lower.

Anyone in Iowa or Nebraska blaming covid/unemployment $ for not being able to find help is just ignorant. There isn't anyone to hire 🤷‍♂️

Edit: We couldn't find good guys to hire in Atlantic for the last 4 years. Good help is always hard to find.

Reactions: philosophusker