Gas is $2.90 in Lincoln and rising per my local guy

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
I have my doubts.
We did do a much better job. Even refinancing was far more difficult than what we were seeing 13 years ago. But being at historical low rates versus where they were in ‘07 and early ‘08 is the biggest factor. And there was no real good reason for a variable with rates at rock bottom levels.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
Housing markets cyclical crash is overdue. While the market is on fire in most areas, people are putting in ridiculous bids well over market price just to get an offer accepted. This seems to be typical right before a crash.
I’m not sure we’ll have a full blown crash, but a significant cool down is inevitable. My wife is an agent and it’s never been easier to sell a home. At a premium to asking.

biscuitbagger3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2009
We did do a much better job. Even refinancing was far more difficult than what we were seeing 13 years ago. But being at historical low rates versus where they were in ‘07 and early ‘08 is the biggest factor. And there was no real good reason for a variable with rates at rock bottom levels.
I agree my refi was surprisingly difficult considering it was the same lender and I was just getting a lower rate. That said if your credit is good banks are willing to lend more to worse debt to income structures because they just have so much of it with the Fed combined with low stock.

scopeandtime

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Housing markets cyclical crash is overdue. While the market is on fire in most areas, people are putting in ridiculous bids well over market price just to get an offer accepted. This seems to be typical right before a crash.
I guess I don't see a crash anytime soon. New home starts basically plummeted almost 40-50% from February to July of last year and we saw rates fall 1-1.2%. With increasing input prices on new builds, the demand is going to be there until we see either new builds increase a good amount, or rates climb to smooth the demand, right? We aren't seeing speculative bubbles or systematic issues that normally drive end-cycle drops yet...

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
$3.19 per gallon here in the West Valley. Good thing the current administration has outlawed fracking on federal lands and terminated the XL pipeline one wouldn't want cheap gas for the masses. Raising taxes ain't the answer in the long run either. Hold on boys it going to get worse before it gets better.
neither of those have 1 iota to do with current gas prices

HuskerRick

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2001
Ranson WV
The Green New Deal, which is not a policy the current administration has even proposed let alone turned into law, is secretly a plan to make gas prices go up and make more money for corrupt oil companies? I can't keep up with how this is supposed to work.
Do you think companies really wait to see when a policy is going to be enacted? If you aren't ahead of the game you won't be in business very long or you'll join Sears. The spending and raising of taxes or even the talk of either is going to have a huge affect! I mean gas in a gas station's ground storage or oil companies storage tanks, that was bought prior to the new price isn't going to be sold at the old price!

Reactions: BigCL24

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
“Farmers” and “rich as shit” do not belong in the same sentence, amirite @Woodrow-F-Call ??? 😎

1t7j.gif

The welfare keeps them afloat

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
Do you think companies really wait to see when a policy is going to be enacted? If you aren't ahead of the game you won't be in business very long or you'll join Sears. The spending and raising of taxes or even the talk of either is going to have a huge affect! I mean gas in a gas station's ground storage or oil companies storage tanks, that was bought prior to the new price isn't going to be sold at the old price!
Vacuum thinking by him for sure

biscuitbagger3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2009
I'm still waiting for my local station to use that WTI from last April.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
How would raising taxes push fuel prices higher? Inquiring minds need to know.

DRay827

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2016
Lincoln, NE
I'm still operating my business under the assumption that trump is going to zero out the National debt like he promised. That should happen any day now, right?

Reactions: jlgformk

DRay827

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2016
Lincoln, NE
To be fair, it was a ten year plan. Still stupid as F, but a ten year plan nonetheless.
Just an example of how extremely stupid it is to base business decisions off of a plan created by a Freshman NY Representative that was never endorsed or campaigned upon by the current President and has zero chance of becoming law.

The same odds trump had to pay off the National debt.

Reactions: IndyHusker

Jhollenbeck41

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2018
I literally know no one who was working pre-pandemic and not currently working now.
That's fine. I don't either. But I bought my wife a pair of shoes for her birthday over the weekend at Famous Footwear and the line was quite extensive. Got to the register and the only lady working said they were short staffed.

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2001
I’m not sure we’ll have a full blown crash, but a significant cool down is inevitable. My wife is an agent and it’s never been easier to sell a home. At a premium to asking.

I dont believe it will be a full blown crash such as 2008 which was fueled by so much bad paper. I was in the mortgage business and writing tons of zero down, stated income and no income verication loans, all the while knowing it was gonna cause a huge crash. It was a tough spot to be in from an ethics and morality standpoint.

Husker Hank

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2009
If you voted Democrat, have the next person you see kick you in the nuts, you deserve it.

tenor.gif

Woodrow-F-Call

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2006
No exactly true. Input prices came down sharply after the 2014 break and they’ve never fully doubled in one year. Fertilizer prices were the cheapest in years last fall.

you don't farm one ****ing acre of dirt and your ignorance shows every time these subjects are brought up. Some of my post was tongue in cheek obviously.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: nelsonj22

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
No. It’s far more about the Chinese buying corn at a fanatical pace. And the Dollar Index just broke below the 90 level for the first time since January 7.
And the Chinese started buying up corn at a rapid pace when the tariff back and forth stopped. Net effect what is going to be the result from the tariff wars to farmers?

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
And the Chinese started buying up corn at a rapid pace when the tariff back and forth stopped. Net effect what is going to be the result from the tariff wars to farmers?
The Chinese corn buying had nothing to do with the tariff war, aside from it starting later than it would have due to the war and swine fever outbreak. Tariff wars are never a good thing, especially when the attacking side goes in alone. The rest of the world laughed at us and just helped pick up the slack.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
you don't farm one ****ing acre of dirt and your ignorance shows every time these subjects are brought up. Some of my post was tongue in cheek obviously.
I helped build a program to track input costs and net profit eleven years ago. On a daily basis. On farms from Nebraska through Maryland. Trust me when I tell you I have a lot more of these numbers in my head than you. So please define the year where your total input cost doubled from the previous year. And please define any statement that I've made that wasn't true.

Woodrow-F-Call

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2006

Chinese started buying corn at a high pace because they didn't have a choice.

Remember the 3 gorges dam that was on the brink of failure last year? The ground below that damn is china's highest producing farmland and it flooded. Majority of Chinas corn production was wrecked last year by monsoon/ flood.

South American Safrinha corn crop is going through one of the worst droughts on record currently. There's going to be absolutely zero export from that crop as it'll be needed domestically.

USDA overstated our own corn production grossly the past 3 years.

Coupled with a weak dollar, This is why we have good corn prices, not because of the stupid tariff narrative.

Reactions: Jim14510

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
Not even the slightest.

Indy is just another mouthpiece that has no skin in the game, but likes to pretend he knows what it takes to raise a crop.

Oh I have a whole lot of skin in this game Woodrow. In addition to being raised on a family farm, I've either worked for or with farmers for the past 52 years. I've been assisting Corn Belt and east coast producers with their grain and soy marketing since 1985.

And I'm still waiting for you to tell us which year your total input costs "double/tripled".

Last edited:

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
Chinese started buying corn at a high pace because they didn't have a choice.

Remember the 3 gorges dam that was on the brink of failure last year? The ground below that damn is china's highest producing farmland and it flooded. Majority of Chinas corn production was wrecked last year by monsoon/ flood.

South American Safrinha corn crop is going through one of the worst droughts on record currently. There's going to be absolutely zero export from that crop as it'll be needed domestically.

USDA overstated our own corn production grossly the past 3 years.

Coupled with a weak dollar, This is why we have good corn prices, not because of the stupid tariff narrative.
Was going to ask why then forgot. Answered before asking. What about beans?