ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Patterson D Coordinator

How have his defenses been recently? Do recruits like him?

He invented the 3-3-5 (perfect for the B1G lol) like a hundred years ago I remember

TCU sure as hell don’t seem to miss him much

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Wow. That seems like a good hire. Was he running the D when he was HC at TCU?
According to his bio, he has been a position coach as well as the DC.

Overall, he has been a DC for 9 years, a LB coach for 4 years, a DB coach for 5 years, S coach for 5 years.

Other than DE/EDGE, and DL, he appears to have been a position coach at all other defensive positions.

I don't think he was the DC when he was the HC at TCU.

According to his bio, he has been a position coach as well as the DC.

Overall, he has been a DC for 9 years, a LB coach for 4 years, a DB coach for 5 years, S coach for 5 years.

Other than DE/EDGE, and DL, he appears to have been a position coach at all other defensive positions.

I don't think he was the DC when he was the HC at TCU.
*Edit* If he were hired, it's possible he could be the DC/LB coach and that would fill 2 of the spots remaining on the defensive side of the ball. Although, he's also coached DBs in his career.

If true, sounds like they put their money on coordinators and youth everywhere else. I can get behind that. Actually love that structure. Look at me, not doom and gloom for once…

Now if they could only let some time pass and announce Mickey @ WR coach for a locked down recruiter. I know a lot wouldn’t love this. But I’d make him take some anger management classes, donate some salary to NCADV. Get the Nebraska PR team working on a narrative that would be hard for the media to fight.

If true, sounds like they put their money on coordinators and youth everywhere else. I can get behind that. Actually love that structure. Look at me, not doom and gloom for once…

Now if they could only let some time pass and announce Mickey @ WR coach for a locked down recruiter. I know a lot wouldn’t love this. But I’d make him take some anger management classes, donate some salary to NCADV. Get the Nebraska PR team working on a narrative that would be hard for the media to fight.
Gonna have to give that dream up. No one is going to hire a coach who is being investigated for domestic violence and strangling his wife.

Unless Mickey somehow gets this to court in the next two weeks, gets exonerated, cleans up his personal life before we can hire a new coach…

Last edited:
All I know is that Texas' defense improved tremendously from last year to this year. How much of that had to do with Patterson, I don't know, but their defense was terrible last year compared to this year.
Correct.

In 2021, Texas allowed 31.1 ppg., 202 ypg rushing, and 224 ypg passing. The total defense allowed 426 ypg.

In 2022, Texas allowed 21.2 ppg.,123 ypg rushing, and 239 ypg passing. The total defense allowed 362 ypg.

All I know is that Texas' defense improved tremendously from last year to this year. How much of that had to do with Patterson, I don't know, but their defense was terrible last year compared to this year.
Probably a combination of everything. A 2nd year under the new system ran by defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski. 2nd year of defensive coaches working with one another to get on the same page schematically and technique-wise. The purge of malcontents, specifically on the defense, who gave piss poor effort when they were on the field.

I've heard GP was heavily involved with helping scheme a defense for specific games, including Alabama and TCU. The guy definitely has an eye for talent, specifically underrated talent. He took guys that played safety in high school and turned them into all conference linebackers. Look at TCUs roster this year. GP was responsible for bringing most of those guys to Ft Worth who are in the playoffs.

24/7 Team Rankings:
2018-25
2019-32
2020-23
2021-53

Pretty hard to coach from prison.

Reactions: king_kong_

He invented the 3-3-5 (perfect for the B1G lol) like a hundred years ago I remember

Patterson would be a good hire, but you raise legitimate concerns. The Big 10 is a different league than the Big 12, but I would imagine that Rhule and Patterson would come up with a totally different system.

Robert the strangler shouldn’t coach again

There is a very thin line between strangulation and attempted murder - wonder what would have happened if his wife wasn’t able to wrestle herself free from his strangle hold
if she is throwing him off her, maybe she should be wr coach. (is it too early?)

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
Patterson would be a good hire, but you raise legitimate concerns. The Big 10 is a different league than the Big 12, but I would imagine that Rhule and Patterson would come up with a totally different system.
yes. The notion that a DC only can coach one type of defense is odd to me. These guys have a lot of experience coaching defense against a wide array of offensive schemes. If he can coach defense in the Big 12. He can do it in the Big 10. I can make my 40 front adaptable to a spread, or a power offense. I can change over to a 30 front in a heart beat. Most systems are adaptable to today's offenses.

Now I agree that Big 10 experience against Big 10 teams is valuable, from the standpoint of understanding play calling and formation tendencies. So from that standpoint hiring a Big 10 coach who has familiarity with other current Big 10 programs can be invaluable. However I believe that any DC worth his salt can perform well at any school against any program once he has experienced and talented players who know his system and can adapt to changes within the system.

The Big 10 has both 40 and 30 fronts. I think whatever we go with can be successful with the right coaching and personnel.

I don’t think Mickey is a bad person by any means. Just let the situation get out of control. I believe in redemption and giving people second chances. I think there would be a way for that to happen.

BTW. Not taking away from what he allegedly did and he should own it.

Hearing buzz from insiders….
i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

Reactions: WHCSC
I don’t think Mickey is a bad person by any means. Just let the situation get out of control. I believe in redemption and giving people second chances. I think there would be a way for that to happen.

giphy.gif

Short of Mickey's wife coming out and saying she made up the whole story, Rhule would be taking on quite the firestorm if he brought Mickey onto his staff at this point. I can't imagine why a new coach in his position would want to to add more weight to the heavy pack he already has to haul up a steep hill in returning NU to relevancy. He has too much at stake personally to risk giving Mickey a 2nd chance

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

Maybe Liberty will give Mickey a second chance like they gave Hugh Freeze a second chance.

Looks like Chad Glasgow was his DC the last 7 years. Hard to say how much of a hand Gary had during that time. I do know he had been known for great defense.

Just because his teams didn't do well toward the end of his tenure, doesn't always mean he can't do well just focusing on defense. This applies to a lot of different levels of coaching I'm my opinion. I think this would be a great hire and further open the pipeline to Texas, which would be a great thing.

GBR

Looks like Chad Glasgow was his DC the last 7 years. Hard to say how much of a hand Gary had during that time. I do know he had been known for great defense.

Just because his teams didn't do well toward the end of his tenure, doesn't always mean he can't do well just focusing on defense. This applies to a lot of different levels of coaching I'm my opinion. I think this would be a great hire and further open the pipeline to Texas, which would be a great thing.

GBR
A lot of HC that get fired got that gig as a result of being outstanding Coordinators, they just didn't have what it takes to be the top guy running a program.

Guys like Muschamp, O'Brien, Kiffin, Sarkisian, even Frost, and a lot more like these guys.

Once they flame out or get fired as the HC, they revert back to Coordinators and do a helluva good job at what got them the Head Coaching gig in the first place.

A lot of HC that get fired got that gig as a result of being outstanding Coordinators, they just didn't have what it takes to be the top guy running a program.

Guys like Muschamp, O'Brien, Kiffin, Sarkisian, even Frost, and a lot more like these guys.

Once they flame out or get fired as the HC, they revert back to Coordinators and do a helluva good job at what got them the Head Coaching gig in the first place.
Pelini is an exception.

ADVERTISEMENT