ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett Nelson not invited to the Combine

It's not too late.

giphy.gif

It's not too late.

giphy.gif
Unless he has signed with an agent, he could come back. And even if he has signed, there are still circumstances under which he would retain his eligibility.
That said, this doesn't surprise me. I love the kid, his motor and his affinity for Dear Old Nebraska U, but to this completely untrained eye he doesn't look at all to be a guaranteed pro. I hope he makes it and kicks tail, but ya gotta wonder

Unless he has signed with an agent, he could come back. And even if he has signed, there are still circumstances under which he would retain his eligibility.
That said, this doesn't surprise me. I love the kid, his motor and his affinity for Dear Old Nebraska U, but to this completely untrained eye he doesn't look at all to be a guaranteed pro. I hope he makes it and kicks tail, but ya gotta wonder
Agree with all of this. He was a good player for a bunch of teams that didn't go to a bowl game. I think that we've been so bad for so long that we've started thinking players are better then they are.

Agree with all of this. He was a good player for a bunch of teams that didn't go to a bowl game. I think that we've been so bad for so long that we've started thinking players are better then they are.
If he played for Iowa or Minnesota all of us would say he's a mediocre player. He was on a bad team that didnt have any success getting after opposing QBs last year. I hope he proves me wrong but I'm thinking day 3 pick or UDFA who will struggle to make a roster.

Reactions: scarletred
The B1G coaches thought enough of him to name him 2nd team All B1G defensive lineman. Also 2nd team = Joe Evans, Lukas Van Ness, Seth Benson & Riley Moss, Iowa; JT Tuimoloau OSU; Cal Haladay, MSU; Abdul Carter, PSU; Sydney Brown & Jartavius Martin, IL; Tyler Nubin, MN. That's some pretty good company. I guess the coaches think he's better than he really is & think these other guys are also better than they really are. I don't know if he'll get drafted but, imo, that will be because of NFL measurables & not the measure of his heart.

If he played for Iowa or Minnesota all of us would say he's a mediocre player. He was on a bad team that didnt have any success getting after opposing QBs last year. I hope he proves me wrong but I'm thinking day 3 pick or UDFA who will struggle to make a roster.
Nelson finished with 5.5 sacks in conference play which tied him for 8th in the league, just behind the 2 IA lineman at 6.5. He had 5 sacks in conference play in 2021 which was the same as Karlaftis from Purdue.

The B1G coaches thought enough of him to name him 2nd team All B1G defensive lineman. Also 2nd team = Joe Evans, Lukas Van Ness, Seth Benson & Riley Moss, Iowa; JT Tuimoloau OSU; Cal Haladay, MSU; Abdul Carter, PSU; Sydney Brown & Jartavius Martin, IL; Tyler Nubin, MN. That's some pretty good company. I guess the coaches think he's better than he really is & think these other guys are also better than they really are. I don't know if he'll get drafted but, imo, that will be because of NFL measurables & not the measure of his heart.
He'll get a chance either way and hopefully he sticks around. I just didn't see a dominant player. He also doesn't have above elite athleticism. I'm trying to think of a recent comparison. Maybe someone like Stoll? Productive but not off the charts. Good athlete but not elite. I think Garrett would be happy with that kind of career.

Nelson said in the interview with Carriker he met with White and Knighton about where he fit in their defense and the discussions were one factor leading him to declare. He didn't say what exactly that meant, but I inferred he was not impressed with their vision of his role. So if he didn't get an agent and he decides to change his mind about the NFL, he might be more inclined to enter the next portal round.

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
Nelson said in the interview with Carriker he met with White and Knighton about where he fit in their defense and the discussions were one factor leading him to declare. He didn't say what exactly that meant, but I inferred he was not impressed with their vision of his role. So if he didn't get an agent and he decides to change his mind about the NFL, he might be more inclined to enter the next portal round.
Hmm …. we lost that recruiting battle. While maybe not an nfl star he definitely would have been an asset for us next year.

too bad

combine really helped a couple of his friends last year

If he thinks his role was going to suck for us next year wait until he sees what the NFL has in store for him. Punt Block. Kick Return. Camp body.

Reactions: UNCHUSKER
Palmer, Vovolek, and Mathis all received combine invites. Nelson did not.

Another way to put it: Those that received early development elsewhere made the cut. Those that developed entirely under Frost regime did not.

I’ve been surprised by some former players that had a good NFL career. Maybe Nelson will be one of those guys. If so, I’ll be surprised again.

Is there any recent player who ever withdrew their name and returned to school/ the team? It seems though someone didn’t like the way we were headed so now he’ll take a chance on an undrafted contract.

I suspect they told him he needed to get to 285 and play inside…,

Palmer, Vovolek, and Mathis all received combine invites. Nelson did not.

Another way to put it: Those that received early development elsewhere made the cut. Those that developed entirely under Frost regime did not.

I’ve been surprised by some former players that had a good NFL career. Maybe Nelson will be one of those guys. If so, I’ll be surprised again.
Another way to put it is the guys that got combine invites are expected to be NFL level athletes.

Nelson wasn’t going to test well. Even in college, the first couple years here he was considered a tweener. He’s not going to measure well enough or test well enough in the weight room to improve his stock as a DE. Definitely not going to have a 40 good enough to improve his stock as an OLB. Honestly not going to the combine isn’t going to change much for him. He was always going to be a late flier or UDFA guy.

I liked Nelson as a player. Thought he got crapped on too much last year and wished he came back. Good college player, just doesn’t have the elite athleticism that’s required for the NFL.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
With the right team of need I think he can make a roster.
There’s lots of UDFAs on rosters and playing meaningful roles for their teams. Just a matter of getting into the right camp. The way invites are extended doesn’t preclude the possibility that he would get drafted. There could be a team that already has it in mind to take him if he’s available late.

Too small to be a DL and too slow to be edge/LB at the pro level.
Kind of a tweener. Would need to go full Alzado with roids and put on 30-40 lbs. That said, I think he’s just done with college. He’ll see if he can squeeze out some training camp money and go on with life. Love the guy.

Kind of a tweener. Would need to go full Alzado with roids and put on 30-40 lbs. That said, I think he’s just done with college. He’ll see if he can squeeze out some training camp money and go on with life. Love the guy.
Just on the small side for a DE in an NFL 4-3. There are DEs on pro team depth charts who run 250-260. The kid has a lot of want, and therefore he has a chance.

I really liked Nelson's attitude and his motor and I wish he would have given one more year to Nebraska. I don't know if it was by mutual agreement that he decided to move on but if it wasn't I think one more year under Rhule's staff he may have really helped himself and the team. jmo

I really liked Nelson's attitude and his motor and I wish he would have given one more year to Nebraska. I don't know if it was by mutual agreement that he decided to move on but if it wasn't I think one more year under Rhule's staff he may have really helped himself and the team. jmo
Motor and attitude were great, but constantly being out of position and disappearing in big games or against good talent was a huge problem. He hurt the team a lot, especially early, when he was playing outside of the system. I laud the kid for recognizing it, but I think its a win-win for both sides to move on.

I don't think anyone ever questioned his heart. That's not enough to get you drafted.
George Karlaftis = 6'4" 260 lbs
Garrett Nelson = 6'4" 245 lbs

Not sure if those are accurate but it's what I found. Both had 5 sacks in B1G play in 2021. Nelson had 5.5 in 2022. Maybe Nelson isn't as big as what it says. As I said before, he may not get drafted because of measurables - but his size & production shouldn't be the issue. Quickness, technique, maybe something else. I think it's too bad he didn't get invited to the combine but he might show enough at the Pro Day to get on someone's radar. Karlaftis had a pretty good season for the Chiefs.

Not sure if those are accurate but it's what I found. Both had 5 sacks in B1G play in 2021. Nelson had 5.5 in 2022. Maybe Nelson isn't as big as what it says. As I said before, he may not get drafted because of measurables - but his size & production shouldn't be the issue. Quickness, technique, maybe something else. I think it's too bad he didn't get invited to the combine but he might show enough at the Pro Day to get on someone's radar. Karlaftis had a pretty good season for the Chiefs.
I'm just saying there's a reason he's not much of a draft prospect and it has nothing to do with his heart. He's not "bendy", not powerful enough, not explosive enough, not fast enough to be a speed rusher. He plays hard, no question. If he was even remotely in the same universe as Karlaftis he'd be going to the combine. I hope he succeeds.

Karlaftis also took a ton of doubles, chips and they tried to stay away from him. That dude is a stud. Nelson is a fine player, but he is nowhere near the level of Karlaftis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT