ADVERTISEMENT

Garret Klassy and Ed Stewart

antirowboat

Junior
Jan 30, 2021
If luck happens and Ed Stewart becomes the full-time athletic director, you would have two football guys leading the athletic department from a football perspective. Garrett raised the funds for the new facilities, got NIL off the ground, and is very passionate about it (obviously based on the tweets). Ed has a ton of experience for football operations and other stuff (see his Big 12 bio for more info).

If both were working at Nebraska that would be a pretty damn good situation.

If not Ed, I'd just promote Garret to the full-time role. You can tell his heart and work ethic is there. His career after college was NOT at Wisconsin so he grew as a professional not under the wings of Barry Alvarez.

Ideally, Ed gets the head AD job and we give Garret a nice raise to keep him around. I like the work that Garret is doing.

IMO, no point in bringing in a complete outsider that doesn't have any insight into how NIL got started, the planning that went into all of it, and the launch of it and stuff since then. The only "outsider" I'd bring in is Ed Stewart.

Put me down as Garrett become the new athletic director at Nebraska. His appearance on the radio tonight was incredibly impressive. You gotta listen to it. 100% worth the time.
Did he say if he has a list of potential coaches in his desk?

No. He talked a lot about how he sees NIL as an advantage for Nebraska and he wants fans and businesses to do to make it a recruiting advantage and what they are doing for the students for NIL.

After listening to him talk about NIL it is obvious he is the pioneer in the NIL era. He is the guy to lead Nebraska athletics in this new era. He is clearly passionate about it.

It starts at the 18:50 mark. The guy for this job has the interim tage. It's time to remove it and let him build out Nebraska's advantage in the NIL era.

No. He talked a lot about how he sees NIL as an advantage for Nebraska and he wants fans and businesses to do to make it a recruiting advantage and what they are doing for the students for NIL.

After listening to him talk about NIL it is obvious he is the pioneer in the NIL era. He is the guy to lead Nebraska athletics in this new era. He is clearly passionate about it.

It starts at the 18:50 mark. The guy for this job has the interim tage. It's time to remove it and let him build out Nebraska's advantage in the NIL era.

That's great and everything but there is a lot more that goes into being a good AD than just NIL.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Seems as if during the pandemic Moos went back to the ranch to social distance and work from home while Garrett Klassy took on a bigger, more hands on role. I wonder if there are a few influential figures who had seen enough and wanted to elevate Klassy to the AD spot. If Moos is going to retire in a couple years anyway, why not just push him out the door a couple years early with full pay?

So what's his background/history/story? I must admit I never heard of him before now.

He raised the money for the facilities. Did the media stuff. He's done basically Moos's job lol.

Hire Garrett Klassy as the athletic director at Nebraska.

The problem I see with hiring Klassy is the same as hiring Davison. They have been on board the past few years and we are where we are. Calling him a "pioneer" in the NIL space is a bit much as well. Sounds like the message board marketing we heard when Frost's buddies wanted to get him hired at NU.

If luck happens and Ed Stewart becomes the full-time athletic director, you would have two football guys leading the athletic department from a football perspective. Garrett raised the funds for the new facilities, got NIL off the ground, and is very passionate about it (obviously based on the tweets). Ed has a ton of experience for football operations and other stuff (see his Big 12 bio for more info).

If both were working at Nebraska that would be a pretty damn good situation.

If not Ed, I'd just promote Garret to the full-time role. You can tell his heart and work ethic is there. His career after college was NOT at Wisconsin so he grew as a professional not under the wings of Barry Alvarez.

Ideally, Ed gets the head AD job and we give Garret a nice raise to keep him around. I like the work that Garret is doing.

IMO, no point in bringing in a complete outsider that doesn't have any insight into how NIL got started, the planning that went into all of it, and the launch of it and stuff since then. The only "outsider" I'd bring in is Ed Stewart.
I would guess if Garret doesn't get the job he will land one somewhere else in the near future. What he has done has been impressive. NIL, Garth, working on the expansion and what else. I'm sure it will draw attention from some good programs.

I thought you were all on board with Stewart.
I would still like him, yes. But I'm more than happy and ok with removing the interim tag for Klassy. There isn't a better person to bring in at that AD job in regards to NIL than Klassy. All of these other schools rushed the last second for a policy and they just have Opendorse come visit and most schools didn't even have people come into talk to the athletes about NIL.

Nebraska is truly going all in on NIL, as they should, and Klassy is the lead guy for that. It just helps his case to get the job that he also raised the money for the facilities and other stuff he does.

Reactions: headcard
I would guess if Garret doesn't get the job he will land one somewhere else in the near future. What he has done has been impressive. NIL, Garth, working on the expansion and what else. I'm sure it will draw attention from some good programs.

Yes. Would not shock me if he is the actual target they want to put in as the AD. He fits the profile of what the chancellor has been saying over and over about what he wants in a new AD.

They haven't signed the contract with the search firm for a reason, IMO.

IMO, Klassy is now to valuable to lose to another program. Lock him up and keep growing the NIL program at Nebraska.

The problem I see with hiring Klassy is the same as hiring Davison. They have been on board the past few years and we are where we are. Calling him a "pioneer" in the NIL space is a bit much as well. Sounds like the message board marketing we heard when Frost's buddies wanted to get him hired at NU.

I don’t think that is really fair. Frost was hired over a year before Klassy got here, that was Moos call. Klassy wasn’t brought in to shake up the football program, he was brought into to do a specific job and it seems like he has done well. He also has AD experience at UIC, where he seemed to do well hiring coaches, etc.

Reactions: dinglefritz
That's great and everything but there is a lot more that goes into being a good AD than just NIL.

If you read his profile, he has been an AD before, at UIC which has a terrific basketball program, and has a lot of experiences. I think he’s a very interesting candidate.

I don’t think that is really fair. Frost was hired over a year before Klassy got here, that was Moos call. Klassy wasn’t brought in to shake up the football program, he was brought into to do a specific job and it seems like he has done well. He also has AD experience at UIC, where he seemed to do well hiring coaches, etc.

My point is mainly that he is already here and contributing what he can. By making him AD, nothing is truly gained: no new ideas, no new connections, no new insights. If he's that valuable pay the man more.

My point is mainly that he is already here and contributing what he can. By making him AD, nothing is truly gained: no new ideas, no new connections, no new insights. If he's that valuable pay the man more.

That is simply false. NIL was built under Klassy. Moos didn't do jack shit for it. It's probably the hidden reason why he got thrown out and Klassy given the interim tag.

Well Klassy has NOT been around at Nebraska for very long. He's a relatively newcomer to Lincoln. Remarked that his wife likes Lincoln but is still learning about it. He's been in athletics for a long time at various OTHER schools, just not Nebraska.

That is simply false. NIL was built under Klassy. Moos didn't do jack shit for it. It's probably the hidden reason why he got thrown out and Klassy given the interim tag.

What is simply false? I am not giving Moos credit for anything here.

If you read his profile, he has been an AD before, at UIC which has a terrific basketball program, and has a lot of experiences. I think he’s a very interesting candidate.
UIC does not have a terrific basketball program and literally no one cares about that school in the city at all, or Chicago State.

With that said that is not his fault, it is just that no one gives a **** about those schools in the city, not even a little bit. Any attendance numbers you see are sort of like a dude that tells you his is 6 foot...it is a lie.

Reactions: headcard
Not true and not even how it works.

You obviously have no clue how NIL got started at Nebraska. It sure as **** wasn't Moos. Reading up on the Lincoln Journal article that came out today showing his work for NIL will help you understand things.

UIC does not have a terrific basketball program and literally no one cares about that school in the city at all, or Chicago State.

With that said that is not his fault, it is just that no one gives a **** about those schools in the city, not even a little bit. Any attendance numbers you see are sort of like a dude that tells you his is 6 foot...it is a lie.

You are right, I was thinking of Layola-Chicago, not the Flames, my bad.

Reactions: BigTimeFan75
You obviously have no clue how NIL got started at Nebraska. It sure as **** wasn't Moos. Reading up on the Lincoln Journal article that came out today showing his work for NIL will help you understand things.
What are you talking about? NIL is not a NU thing, it is a college thing.

Seems as if during the pandemic Moos went back to the ranch to social distance and work from home while Garrett Klassy took on a bigger, more hands on role. I wonder if there are a few influential figures who had seen enough and wanted to elevate Klassy to the AD spot. If Moos is going to retire in a couple years anyway, why not just push him out the door a couple years early with full pay?
The Nebraska thing to do will be to not hire the guy already in place who has shown he can work with staff and boosters to go out and hire a former player who has never been an AD.....:rolleyes:

The Nebraska thing to do will be to not hire the guy already in place who has shown he can work with staff and boosters to go out and hire a former player who has never been an AD.....:rolleyes:

That isn't going to happen. It essentially died off late in the week.

I disagree a little bit. I think they need to find someone who is not going to treat the position as a stepping stone to something else or just a high paying gig. We need to find a great long term answer. Secondly, the person needs to be a communicator, a unifier. Someone who is present every day, has a vision, can lead administrators and coaches alike, and is comfortable in a corporate boardroom as well as the Cattlemen's Ball. Specific A.D. experience is nice, but they've got a small army of associates & directors down there with lots of experience.

Side rant: I don't give a damn if he/she is a "wow hire"-- that thing started with the Steve Peterson fiasco and it's been part of NU's downfall ever since. We don't need to "win the press conference" or any of that crap. That was never what Nebraska used to be about.

Reactions: kikdakan and GILL T
ADVERTISEMENT