ADVERTISEMENT

Game was lost in the trenches...

ru4nu2win

All-American
May 2, 2006
Our offense and defensive lines are weak as hell!! Whipple should have known that we he called the handoff to grant on first down inside our 15. lost 2 yards, lost the game!! Horrible jr. high play calling, knowing you have a bunch of pussies in the trenches!

Our offense and defensive lines are weak as hell!! Whipple should have known that we he called the handoff to grant on first down inside our 15. lost 2 yards, lost the game!! Horrible jr. high play calling, knowing you have a bunch of pussies in the trenches!
Agree about Whipple. That was the worst offensive play call of the year. That is a situation you prepare for. Big o linemen at the TE positions. Run down that clock. Get at least one first down.

One more thing. They knew they might have to punt into the wind.

Did Kenny Pickett and Jordan Addison make Whip look good?

Game was lost in the press box and during the week with game prep..just idiots continually b worst in the league week in week out.. complete shit oline though.. I will agree with you there op

It was lost in the trenches but also on the sidelines. That was some real shitty coaching in that game. MJ coached not to lose and had zero confidence in his guys when they were up 14-9 with a chance to close it out.

How about the coaching staff not realizing that and not trying to move the ball up 14-9 with 3 or so left? They hand off to Grant you didn’t do crap all day. When your 3 - 7 you don’t play conservative
This. I don't get it. All of these games Mickey is coaching with house money. Play loose and play to win. What's going to happen if you make play calls with balls? Something bad happens and you lose? Doh!!!

Instead he plays with with a puckered asshole the entire time, and what do you know, loses.

Our program has been lost in the trenches. Our OL schemes were way too complicated under Austin and Frost, and just slightly better under Whipple. Talk to any decent OL coach in the NFL, P5, even many G5 coaches and lower D1 levels. Our lineman have looked confused on half the plays.

We haven’t had a decent pass rush in a long time either because of poor DL recruiting. Our schemes and overall development have looked been really poor due to coaching. It’s time to take the trenches seriously and row in one direction. Wisconsin won the game today because they have had an identity on their OL for 20 years. I’m just grateful Alberts knows what we need.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Totally agree and one of the reasons I don't want Neon Deion ... he'll recruit the hell out of skill players, but I don't see him building the lines needed to compete in the BIG.

This game was lost on 3rd down when MJ should have ran the ball...Wisky calls TO...NU should have taken a safety so that eats off more time and then they kick to Wisky who gets the ball around their 30-35 with what, 2:45 left? And the game is over.

Agreed, it’s actually quite extraordinary how bad our bigs are especially on offense. Our offensive line is quite literally the worst unit we’ve had in probably 50 years.

Reactions: K_Y_E
Is this any surprise? This is what you get when you have a bonehead HC that never ran live hitting or tackling in practice the entire time he was here which is the reason the lines especially the OL are so soft mentally and physically.

Especially when your D has a long history of shitting themselves on final drives.
The defense is the only side that has shown good improvement as through the 1st few games, the offense scored enough points to win those games but the losses to NW and GA Southern fall soley on the defense however since Chin was fired and Busch took over there has been steady improvement but the D can't be expected to stay on the field all game while Whipple ball and the OL are consistently shitting the bed. The other problem was Frost didn't once allow live hitting or tackling during his tenure which makes players soft mentally and physically.

Whipple was a very poor hire imho. From the 2nd half of the North Dakota game and GA Southern, it was Frost calling the plays. now people actually see how poor his offense is and the OL is a dumpster fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
I don't disagree with anything you said, but we have choked virtually every final drive with a one score lead for 5 years now.

There's clearly something broken in that regard
Well Frost never allowed live hitting or live tackling during his tenure here and that is what caused the softness mentally and physically that has cost us numerous games.

It's called mental toughness
When you have a pussy of a coach in Frost who dont believe in yelling or cussing in front of the players you will not have a mentally strong team. Its 100% fine to be hard on players. If you are playing D-I level ball, you have had your ass chewed by a coach before.

Reactions: Wyldcard
When you have a pussy of a coach in Frost who dont believe in yelling or cussing in front of the players you will not have a mentally strong team. Its 100% fine to be hard on players. If you are playing D-I level ball, you have had your ass chewed by a coach before.
From what I hear Frosty was too busy chewing the asses of college girls. ;)

Mickey is starting to insert mental toughness and guarantee, this is something these kids haven't seen which was a huge shock to the system when he arrived. The players are actually embracing it but after 6 years of soft by 2 different HC's, it's gonna take a couple of years for whatever HC to change that narrative.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Whipple is doing his best with one of the worst offensive line coaches in FBS

I focused a lot on the OL and less on those with the ball carriers in this game. I can't tell you how many times our OL gets overwhelmed just on straight up physicality. I saw several times where the DTs ran right through the OL and were barely touched despite the lineman being there to block. It takes nothing but a simple spin move to get past our tackles who are the worst example of big and clumsy that I've ever seen. The OL needs a massive overhaul and that is the position that takes the longest to develop. You want 5 year guys but we will have to get a bunch of transfers to fill the voids there.
We actually have enough depth in my opinion at the skill positions to throw the kitchen sink at OL, DL, and LB transfers. Hopefully the new coaching staff can do something major with the lines.

Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT