ADVERTISEMENT

Game 2 vs UNLV thoughts

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
So here are some of my game 2 thoughts:

1) Can we somehow move Haymarket to Vegas for the first, oh say, two months of the season? OMG the weather could not possibly be more ideal down here!

2) Unfortunately we are still pretty inconsistent with our throws from the left side of the infield. Working our first baseman way too hard on at least half the throws. That will have to be addressed soon or let some of the other guys get a shot. In the bottom of the 1st Schreiber digs third out out of the ground or more runs score there.

3) Nebraska unlucky first few innings with atom balls from Cox and Darby but that's baseball. Cox smoked and pulled a LONG fly foul ... Thought he looked pretty dialed in and might just have a good day. Seemed to have the best swings today overall. I called his home run on that 3-1 count ... I just had that feeling Kirby was going to green light him there ... absolutely crushed it!

4) Kubat was not overpowering today but hitting his spots it seemed like. Much better beginning for him compared to previous season.

5) Kept feeling like we would break out and start really hitting their pitcher but the big inning never materialized. UNLV is a solid club even though they kicked a few around today in the infield. Bolt scored our second run on a dropped throw at the plate ... They had him dead by a good stride but he ball was jarred loose with Ryan's slide.

6) Lubach is lost at the plate starting out the season. He'll come around surely but I am wondering if the 4 hole might be a bit too much for him. Some players can thrive batting cleanup while some seem to place too much pressure on themselves to deliver and drive in the big runs. I know DE likes to stagger his lineup alternating left then right hand hitters and for good reason. But going Tanner in the 4 hole .... not sure he's got that makeup. Maybe Cox and Lubach switch? Cox really looked strong at the plate ... He hit well last year but I don't recall that kind of power.

7) Good clutch hit by Blake for run one. Headley seems to perform rock solid with runners on.

8) We have given up a lot offensively at second base ... yeah I know; duh dude! Needed to be stated though. This club may struggle to score a lot of runs, but overall I like the arms we can roll out there. Too bad Howell didn't keep it going today but it's early and you have to let them all see what they have in game situations.

9) King really impressed me today for a true freshman coming in to a tough situation ... held up real well and looked poised to me. Looking for big things from him down the road.

10) If Knutson struggles in the Sunday role, of all the pitchers I saw this weekend so far Jake H had the most overwhelming stuff and could contend for that spot.

Looking forward to tomorrow and seeing if we can take the series. Sorry if this is too long again and my ramblings are pretty much common sense and uninformative.

Not rambling at all. Found myself agreeing with each item. I might have dwelt a little more on the Howell mention. That was not what we needed at all. He and Christensen both.

Kinda odd that the two relievers with the most experience in this game had the most trouble. Our first wild pitch of the weekend comes late in the 2nd game and we end up with three from these two experienced hands. Tough outing.

Who is Jake McSteen? Wow. Cool customer.And how many Jakes are on our team?
laugh.r191677.gif

Gonna say it - Disappointed in Kyle's outing. Sixty three pitches was not what we were looking for out of this senior. It is what it is, though, and when he's 'on' he is really good. Just not this time.

All Ryan does is get on base. Great to have that kid here.

Looking at a box score that says we had zero errors. That true? Thought we had a couple. Must be mixed up.

Can win the series today. Hope we heat up the bats. GBR!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT