ADVERTISEMENT

FYI only, read nothing else into his. Bo on a run...

HuskerOH

Senior
Dec 4, 2007
El Ranchito Dominican Republic
Youngstown State 40, No. 3 seed Jacksonville State 24

Story Line: Youngstown State continued its spectacular return to the FCS playoffs after a 10-year absence. The Penguins never trailed in the game, Jody Webb rushed for 140 yards and two touchdowns, quarterback Hunter Wells threw for 290 yards and a touchdown and Zak Kennedy kicked four field goals.

Game Ball: The YSU secondary helped limit Jacksonville State quarterback Eli Jenkins to 6 of 26 passing. Free safety LeRoy Alexander and nickel back D.J. Thomas had interceptions and cornerback David Rivers III collected three pass breakups. Defensive backs had six of the defense's eight pass breakups.

Key Stat: While YSU's secondary excelled, JSU's defensive backs didn't against the pass as the Penguins averaged 28.6 yards on 11 completions. Included were a 70-yard touchdown pass to Damoun Patterson to open the scoring and an 85-yard completion to Darien Townsend.

The Takeaway: That Missouri Valley teams are much stronger than Ohio Valley Conference teams is obvious. What's coming into focus is the Penguins have one of the more talented teams in the nation (bookend defensive ends Derek Rivers and Avery Moss are scary good).

Up Next: Youngstown State (10-3) has an unexpected home game in the quarterfinals, hosting Wofford (10-3) next Saturday. The Penguins beat another Southern Conference team, Samford, in the first round.

The rest of the story

Good for Bo and his PLAYERS. They are experiencing something they will always remember....it's not like he is onlying one of 3 coaches to never win less than 9 games in first 7 years of coaching FBS football...

That should be enough gasoline Laughing.

There is little doubt that Pelini knows the x's and o's of football and can coach. That was not the issue when he was here. The issue was recruiting and character. Ohio is a recruiters dream and it can be done with minimal effort for an FCS school competing for the lesser athletes. But Pelini, with his distaste for recruiting, was never a good fit here since Nebraska's location absolutely requires a great recruiter at the helm.
Then of course there was the issue of his character. And that needs no comment.

The last thread about this got deleted pretty quickly.

Lots of people still can't let that topic go, doesn't matter which side you are on, people it seems are going moan and complain about it for years to come.

Bo made his own bed in Lincoln, believe the Texas A&M game and the Championship Game with Texas is what derailed his sanity. He never recovered, but it's time to put this where it belongs in the past. Just hoping the lapses in games are going to disappear along with him.

I suspect Bo can be very successful at the 1-AA level if he chooses to stay there.

Bo made his own bed in Lincoln, believe the Texas A&M game and the Championship Game with Texas is what derailed his sanity. He never recovered, but it's time to put this where it belongs in the past. Just hoping the lapses in games are going to disappear along with him.
His behavior was off the rails when he was Frank's DC and THAT was one of the reasons Frank warned Tom not to hire him. Anytime your DC goes after Bill Snyder in a physically and verbally threatening manner after a game.....well there's yer sign.

Congrats Bo! I will root for him, guy knows football. It was the other things that did him in here.

He always should have cut his teeth at the FCS level before moving up but no one in their right mind would turn down Nebraska in his situation.5

I'm sure he will be a good coach down the line but I'm happy with where we are now.

Pretty easy, just take the top players that get kicked out of NU with you. Avery and Leroy say hi
Yup, once Moss and Alexander graduate they'll take a small step back. Those 2 are legit and could have been All Conference at the FBS level.

Bo will be 8-4 to 9-3 every year at YSU. Nothing wrong with that either.

I lost my sanity in the Texas AM game also...disgusting performance by the striped team

yeah, i still don't know why anyone gets upset at Pelini for his actions during the A&M game. That game was flat out rigged and anyone arguing otherwise is delusional.
Agreed. That game had the most blatantly rigged officiating I have ever seen. They did not even try to hide their bias.
That said... Bo was still out of control and was a total fool for acting the way he did. There is a proper way to deal with such issues and an improper way. He chose the latter.

Reactions: gw2kpro and HuskerO
So if they lose next week, they will be 10-4. Some things never change.

Agreed. That game had the most blatantly rigged officiating I have ever seen. They did not even try to hide their bias.
That said... Bo was still out of control and was a total fool for acting the way he did. There is a proper way to deal with such issues and an improper way. He chose the latter.

Agree. To this day never seen anything like it. Can't even remember the final penalty count and too lazy to look it up but it was even worse than the final tally -- several times in the second half they threw 2 flags on us on the same play and TAMU got to choose which penalty they wanted. Zebras must have got confused whose turn it was to toss it.

Agree. To this day never seen anything like it. Can't even remember the final penalty count and too lazy to look it up but it was even worse than the final tally -- several times in the second half they threw 2 flags on us on the same play and TAMU got to choose which penalty they wanted. Zebras must have got confused whose turn it was to toss it.

16 penalties on Nebraska for 140 yards
2 penalties on A$M for 10 yards.

And one flag picked up and waved off after A$M blatantly interfered with our receiver. No explanation was ever given.

The thing that bothered me most about that game though was the penalty against Cotton for kicking a guy who was assaulting him. I can understand the refs not seeing that happen and only catching the retaliation by Cotton, but the Big XII did nothing about that at all. I think I recall A&M making the kid run stairs or something, but that was the extent of his punishment.

16 penalties on Nebraska for 140 yards
2 penalties on A$M for 10 yards.

And one flag picked up and waved off after A$M blatantly interfered with our receiver. No explanation was ever given.

The thing that bothered me most about that game though was the penalty against Cotton for kicking a guy who was assaulting him. I can understand the refs not seeing that happen and only catching the retaliation by Cotton, but the Big XII did nothing about that at all. I think I recall A&M making the kid run stairs or something, but that was the extent of his punishment.
Also that "roughing the passer" call on Courtney Osborne was asinine.

He just picks up the former Huskers who turned out to be egg heads before they were asked to leave
Also that "roughing the passer" call on Courtney OsborneY was asinine.
In the end it all was for the best. Bo's gone and we are in the best and most stable conference in the country. No more Texass size egos and bullshit. Hallelujah, amen

Reactions: HuskerO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT