ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW - What a Recruiting Haul ...

I don’t dislike the guy… just don’t see him (or anyone, unfortunately) getting us to a competitive level within the Big 10. We simply don’t have the money that most (most) of the other teams in our conference have… we can’t buy the same elite talent. It’s great from an Academics standpoint, but we’re Buried in the Big10, and always will be. (Excluding women’s Volleyball, being fair)
You live a sad life. Be happy for once. You are like the one at a party everyone's rolles there eyes at. Don't be a douche

Reactions: BleedRed78
…. Don’t see it happening. Rhule has never attracted elite talent. He did well against sub-Big 10 teams. He may be a standard deviation improvement over our last two coaches, but I’d bet my truck he never wins 9 games here. We need three standard deviations improvement.
Lol. You thought he was going to attract elite talent at Temple? Maybe a little at Baylor if he stayed more than 3 years. To me it is best to not comment on attracting elite talent to Nebraska. I would be shocked if he got 7 legitimate top 100 players in the class of 2024 to attend Nebraska. Floored and super impressed. Why?

Because we don’t grow them in Nebraska and is a rare bird. Plus our surrounding states aren’t known for numerous players of such magnitude and rankings. We haven’t won anything of significance this century. These kids only know what their fathers and coaches remember from their youth. If we win big in 2023, we might turn heads substantially late in recruiting for the December signing period.

I would be extremely happy if Matt Rhule ruled the evaluation process and chose the right recruits to sign here. He was used to that at his two major head college coaching stops and excelled in that area. He didn’t just recruit off of lists and who what other major college programs offered. Besides the S&C aspect and coaching up the players. He is the right man, at the right time for this unique job in the annals of major college blue blood history.

I see him winning 9 games here, maybe 10 or so, but it will be very tough to do. Plus USC and UCLA will be breathing down our necks soon. If we win conference championships and more, he deserves every penny he signed for. Because this job lacks the one main ingredients that all the top major football programs possess. Population in-state and our surrounding region.

…. Don’t see it happening. Rhule has never attracted elite talent. He did well against sub-Big 10 teams. He may be a standard deviation improvement over our last two coaches, but I’d bet my truck he never wins 9 games here. We need three standard deviations improvement.
if Rhule starts winning football games, he will start attracting top talent. We have always been a good brand during recruiting, and Matt kind of points this out. He knows the name still carries a lot of weight.

He doesn't have to start winning 9 right away, just getting to a bowl game will be important for his first year.

Here is the problem I see going forward though, and it has to do with the additions of the California schools.

We were setup fairly well with the western division champ getting an automatic bid to the conference championship game. But now, I'm not sure how this is going to work in the future. The path seems like it could get a lot more complicated. It starts to feel like we will need playoff expansion in order to get a shot from within the B1G.

For reference, Suh had 32 at the combine. Harrison Phillips 42. 49 is the combine record. I remember we had some OL graduates in the teens.
As God as my witness I don't get this metric. When in football do you push a medium weight around 30 times in the matter of what accounts for about one play? I would think no more than than 10 reps would be applicable.
I used to be a powerlifter and got into my head to train this way for a while. I used 225 for high reps. It's something you can improve on once you start training that way. Anyway I got pretty good at it. About that time we were on vacation and I saw a picture of myself with my shirt off at the watering hole. I've always had well developed pecs but they were starting to look like breasts. I was mortified. Never again did I ever even approach training that way.
I wouldn't put much stock in a high school kid matching or exceeding what Suh did. It's a good bet he trained for this but it's only value is the metric itself. It doesn't mean he has the rare strength of a Suh type.

Again, I'd be much more Interested in what an aspiring football player could do in five or ten reps. The amount of force one can apply in a shorter period seems much more applicable than how many times you can apply a medium force. Then again, I am not a football training expert. Just some average guy making an observation.

Edit: Interesting tidbit. Christian Mcaffery was known as a strong, physical specimen coming out of Stanford, and a workhorse. During his testing he benched 225 for 10 reps, one of the worst performances.
Why? The Stanford S&C guy marched to the beat of his own drummer and did not see the bench press applying well to football and, in fact, discouraged it. Yet he had nearly won the Heismann and has had a great pro career.
One thing that has been mentioned or suggested about the NFL-225 is that it merely may be measuring effort. If a player knows its coming and blows off training for it, it may be a window into how they take on challenges.

Last edited:
Reactions: HominidHusker
5 star commits by conference

SEC - 14
Big 12 - 6 (all OU and Texas)
Pac 12 - 5 (2 USC and 1 UCLA)
ACC - 4
BIG -2
How oklahoma gets players is they pay them big time and promise the world. Venables is not head coach material. They will fold once in sec.

As God as my witness I don't get this metric. When in football do you push a medium weight around 30 times in the matter of what accounts for about one play? I would think no more than than 10 reps would be applicable.
I used to be a powerlifter and got into my head to train this way for a while. I used 225 for high reps. It's something you can improve on once you start training that way. Anyway I got pretty good at it. About that time we were on vacation and I saw a picture of myself with my shirt off at the watering hole. I've always had well developed pecs but they were starting to look like breasts. I was mortified. Never again did I ever even approach training that way.
I wouldn't put much stock in a high school kid matching or exceeding what Suh did. It's a good bet he trained for this but it's only value is the metric itself. It doesn't mean he has the rare strength of a Suh type.

Again, I'd be much more Interested in what an aspiring football player could do in five or ten reps. The amount of force one can apply in a shorter period seems much more applicable than how many times you can apply a medium force. Then again, I am not a football training expert. Just some average guy making an observation.

Edit: Interesting tidbit. Christian Mcaffery was known as a strong, physical specimen coming out of Stanford, and a workhorse. During his testing he benched 225 for 10 reps, one of the worst performances.
Why? The Stanford S&C guy marched to the beat of his own drummer and did not see the bench press applying well to football and, in fact, discouraged it. Yet he had nearly won the Heismann and has had a great pro career.
One thing that has been mentioned or suggested about the NFL-225 is that it merely may be measuring effort. If a player knows its coming and blows off training for it, it may be a window into how they take on challenges.
I don't think you understand the training football players are trying to achieve with these metrics here...

Doing reps of 225 proves not only power, but endurance too. Jim Macho might be able to bench 700 but how does that translate to the field? Push a big lineman back once time?

No, it's over, and over and over and over again. Endurance. Strength endurance. That's where the amount of reps come in. Especially important for lineman, te's, fb's, and not too much for skill players.

I'd much rather have a dude who can do 45 reps than a guy who can bench 700 if I'm utilizing him as a football player for my multi billion dollar organization.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I don't think you understand the training football players are trying to achieve with these metrics here...

Doing reps of 225 proves not only power, but endurance too. Jim Macho might be able to bench 700 but how does that translate to the field? Push a big lineman back once time?

No, it's over, and over and over and over again. Endurance. Strength endurance. That's where the amount of reps come in. Especially important for lineman, te's, fb's, and not too much for skill players.

I'd much rather have a dude who can do 45 reps than a guy who can bench 700 if I'm utilizing him as a football player for my multi billion dollar organization.
One of the problems with the bench as a measurable is that guys with longer arms have a much more difficult time doing it. It’s not a fair comparison unless you’re comparing their reps to guys with the same arm length.

Last edited:

You do realize that a guy who can legitimately bench 700 (very rare) will be extremely capable of benching 1/3rd of that many times. Suh is a consumate defensive tackle known for a rare combination of speed and enormous strength yet was relatively unimpressive, or at least average in his genre.
Sports at high levels requires very specialized training. World class sprinters don't run long distance because it would train the body to withhold energy. It would undermine explosiveness.
I could see the 225 thing if you did it say 15 times, rested 30 seconds, then 15 more and repeated it until they could no longer go. But all in one fell swoop doesn't seem optimal. The OL's high rep perform won't play into it after Suh whooped his butt and sacked the qb. But it's nice to know the OL could have kept applying medium force repeatedly for a play lasting well over minute.

This is almost disturbing to me as a fan but the average time of actual play in a football game is 11 minutes. Divide that in half and with a break here and there for starters and Id guess the average time in play over the course of a game for a heavily used individual is only four minutes or so. The actual fight time for a lineman probably hovers around 5 or six seconds then a fairly long break.
I can think of any number of ways that seem a better test method. The interesting thing is there has been high level competitive benchers who were confined to wheelchairs.
I would guess the NFL-225 is just another in a long line of tests that has more curiosity from the general public than to a gm looking for the next big thing. More of a litmus test to see who works out in the weight room.

O

ne of the problems with the bench as a measurable is that guys with longer arms have a much more difficult time doing it. It’s not a fair comparison unless you’re comparing their reps to guys with the same arm length.
That is the main issue with the bench for sure

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT