FWIW - Stanford Drops 11 Sports Programs

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by RedCap, Jul 8, 2020.

1. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Stanford had one of the largest arrays of sports programs in P5 and it is the first P5 program to drop sports and blames it on the Coronavirus costs. The sports being dropped aren't the most popular, it's things like fencing, rowing, men's volleyball etc.

I have no problem with Stanford pruning its array of sports programs BUT the reason given is a phony fig leaf. Stanford sits on one of the largest endowment funds in the country including $27 billion as of 2019. It's one of the richest schools out there so it can easily weather itself through the pandemic.

IMO Stanford just needs to be honest and explain that it is spread too thin over too many sports so sports like fencing need to get axed.

2. jflores

jflores Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

ABCs of endowments.

I assume that most schools with an endowment have used them in ways not intended but floating your whole AD off them for a year seems likely to get noticed.

TheBeav815 and jlb321 like this.
  3. jlb321

jlb321 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I think you only need 16 sports to qualify for D1 - suspect the power 5 conferences have a limit that is higher - but I think Stanford carried something like 36 D1 programs

4. oldjar07

oldjar07 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

That's not going to be good for the Olympics. Stanford is a powerhouse in Olympic events.

Stepchild likes this.
  5. timnsun

timnsun Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

What? Because Stanford is dropping certain sports Americans who excelled at said sports won’t excel any longer?

I don’t understand your premise. The athletes that went to Stanford and are good at Olympic sports can go elsewhere and still excel... is the training at Stanford all world or something?

6. tpmcg

tpmcg Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

a friend worked for the foundation of a university and typically donations have been earmarked. he worked with one fellow who donated a large property when he died to the vet school, because they saved his dog once.

7. JohnRossEwing

JohnRossEwing Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Shoot, you see this at the HS level even.

And, I think a lot of schools will use this as a chance to ditch...

Sports that literally have zero chance of doing anything but being a huge burden.

Larry Hagman's Liver and tpmcg like this.
  8. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

IMO schools can/do get around that condition easily enough. They just allocate the donation with strings to the specified cause but then they reallocate general income with no strings attached away from that specified cause. The end result is neutering the overall effect of the donation while satisfying its technical conditions. The specified cause usually doesn't wind up with a net increase although there's a lot of publicity to make people feel good about their donations.

9. oldjar07

oldjar07 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

It's certainly a possibility. The kids that would get a scholarship to go to Stanford and be supported financially for 4 years will have fewer options. There's not many schools that offer the kind of sports Stanford has, so most of the elite talent went there.

10. huskerfan66

huskerfan66 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

I'll take them serious when/if they drop volleyball and their marching band

11. timnsun

Expand Collapse

I get that, but my point is the elite talent is still elite and will just go somewhere else...

edit: sorry, I see why your saying now. There isn’t a lot of places for the elite talent to go. My bad.

11 timnsun, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  12. Stepchild

Stepchild Offensive Coordinator
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don’t think you understand. What if they are underclassmen? Holding a Stanford degree means a helluva lot in the outside world. If some of their scholarships are taken away, they are screwed...

12 Stepchild, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  13. jlb321

jlb321 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

it will certainly hurt some - not every sport is able to roster their team with full ride scholarships

Average D1 baseball team is about 35 players
    D1 gets a max of 11.7 scholarships for baseball. A lot of very partial scholarships - 25 50% + walkons

13 jlb321, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  14. timnsun

Expand Collapse

I get that, my question was how that affected olympians. But I understand now what Oldjar07 was saying. Just took me longer to figure it out. Must have been tired or something.

Stepchild likes this.
  15. JohnRossEwing

JohnRossEwing Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Are they honoring the scholarships still?

16. bluenrg

bluenrg Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Even if they don't honor the scholarships, Stanford provides significant financial aid to those that can't afford $60k+ a year for college. The ones that will be impacted most are upper middle class student athletes that don't qualify for financial aid grants

17. saluno22

saluno22 Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse