ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW - Phil Longo hired as OC by Wisconsin

Till we actually see some substance, for now who’s to say who’s offense will be better between Satterfield and Longo..

Seems Wisky going to open up things which hasn’t been in their repertoire since Alvarez was hired..

Reactions: dinglefritz
He was 6-6 with Tressels roster…..That would have been like Frank taking over and going 6-6 his first year.
From an article when Fickell took over OSU:

Even the most experienced and successful coaches in the nation would have a difficult time steering this program through this NCAA infraction mess.
Fickell started this season with a brand new quarterback, a brand new running back, all very young wide receivers, and an inexperienced left tackle all due to suspensions from last season. This team has been extremely shorthanded on offense this year.
Coach Fickell has also had to deal with the constant struggle of thinking people are coming back only to find out they are suspended even longer. On top of all that, Fickell was also completely blindsided with the suspension of three other players that he expected to fill in for suspended and graduated Buckeyes.
All these suspensions and setbacks would give any coach major difficulty, but watching a first year head coach with no prior experience try to manage it is almost unfair.

Even the most experienced and successful coaches in the nation would have a difficult time steering this program through this NCAA infraction mess.
Fickell started this season with a brand new quarterback, a brand new running back, all very young wide receivers, and an inexperienced left tackle all due to suspensions from last season. This team has been extremely shorthanded on offense this year.
Coach Fickell has also had to deal with the constant struggle of thinking people are coming back only to find out they are suspended even longer. On top of all that, Fickell was also completely blindsided with the suspension of three other players that he expected to fill in for suspended and graduated Buckeyes.
All these suspensions and setbacks would give any coach major difficulty, but watching a first year head coach with no prior experience try to manage it is almost unfair.
Don’t care. That roster was stacked still. Lots of excuses were made for a legacy interim head coach. Sounds familiar doesn’t it? He was perfect for a G5 conference.

Reactions: headcard and Dylman

I discount that transition season at Ohio State just like I discount the first seasons of Rhule at his new schools. Much more meaningful to me is Fickell's track record with building his OWN program at Cincinnati.

Others may disagree and that's fine because we'll see what the answer is in the next few years on the field. I'll be interested in seeing how Nebraska and Wisconsin match up on the field both now going through a major coaching transition. Obviously I'll be rooting for Nebraska but I'm not thinking by any means that Wisconsin is going to be a cake walk because some people just don't like Fickell.

I discount that transition season at Ohio State just like I discount the first seasons of Rhule at his new schools. Much more meaningful to me is Fickell's track record with building his OWN program at Cincinnati.
Urban took over OSU and won a national championship in year one. Fickell is a doofus. They were loaded with talent even with a couple of suspensions.

Reactions: Dylman
Don’t care. I’ve never been a Fickell fan. I believe he was a mediocre coach in the perfect spot for him. IF he was that good OSU would have hired him instead of promoting Day.
Your comment on Fickell is right up there with your comment that Warren was pressuring Alberts to hire Joseph.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Trev had the biggest treasure chest to tap into this hiring cycle and chose Rhule

Will be nice to compare where things stand in the next 3-5 years

Reactions: TripleOption67
Trev had the biggest treasure chest to tap into this hiring cycle and chose Rhule

Will be nice to compare where things stand in the next 3-5 years
Yes, I'm interested in seeing how the new hires shake out. I hope Rhule's the one to bring us back but many of us (ie., me) thought that with Frost and couldn't have been more wrong.

How so? Fickell was at Cinci when they promoted Day.
by then ohiost, much like you and many here, were too enamored with that scumbag loser urban meyer to do anything but take his marching orders

they're paying the price (will be something like 850 days since they've beaten michigan by the time they play again) for it

the semi final game coming up has to be the most pressure an ohiost coach has felt in a long, long time

Others may disagree and that's fine because we'll see what the answer is in the next few years on the field. I'll be interested in seeing how Nebraska and Wisconsin match up on the field both now going through a major coaching transition. Obviously I'll be rooting for Nebraska but I'm not thinking by any means that Wisconsin is going to be a cake walk because some people just don't like Fickell.
Eh, Fickell took over Brian Kelly's Cincinnati team...

Fickell reminds me so much of Frank Solich it isn't even funny. Some guys are just perfect for the MAC level where they can make good talent great but just aren't able to make great talent elite.

I don't care what was going on at Ohio State, they had a loaded roster when he was there. I mean hell OSU went

11-1 and won the Sugar Bowl in 2010. Finishing ranked 5th.
6-7 and lost the Gator Bowl to a mediocre 7-6 Florida team that didn't have an offense in 2011. Finishing unranked for the first time since 2001.
12-0 and finishing ranked 3rd in 2012.

He had Braxton Miller as his QB. The same guy that went undefeated the next year.
He had Carlos Hyde as his starting RB. A guy who had over 1000 yards and 17 touchdowns the next year
not to mention Devin Smith and Jordan Hall. He also had Dan Herron who had over 700 rushing yards and averaged over 5 yards a carry as a senior but missed several games.

He had John Simon, Ryan Shazier, Michael Bennett, Travis Howard, Travis Roby, Onhrian Johnson and Jonathan Hankins on a defense that was honestly not anywhere near as good as they should have been and still only gave up 21 points a game on average... though Nebraska, Wisconsin and Michigan hung 40 on em. *Fickell's year is the last time Nebraska beat the Buckeyes. TY Lavonte David and co.

Virtually every major contributor for OSU's 12-0 2012 team was also there for Fickle's 6 win team and . They all just played much better under Meyer. And it's not like they were awful under Fickel. And it wasn't because of the off field stuff either. Every Player I named played 11 games except Hall who played 10 and Herron who played 7. Hell the vast majority played either 12 or 13 games.. His Starting QB played 12, his Starting Runningback only played 7 but Hyde took over and played 12 and his top 2 WR's as well as his starting TE all played 14... for when they bothered to throw the ball.

I mean it's impressive to have an offense with 1500 passing yards, 18 passing touchdowns to just 5 interceptions on the season, as well as have over 2000 yards, 5 yards a carry and 21 rushing touchdowns from your top 4 ball carriers.... and still have 800 yards and 12 touchdowns in reserve. While having a defense that has multiple nfl draft pick pass rushers, multiple ball hawks in the secondary, gives up 21 points per game on average *though they got blown out by their three biggest opponents... but still ended up scoring 50+ more points than gave up on the year and still only win 6 games.

That's not near as bad as to call him Scott Frost V1.. but it's not good. He may do great at Wisconsin... if he can recruit actual QB"s and WR's they will be scary assuming they don't screw up the rest of what they have... but I don't think Fickel is a guy that gets more out of guys than what they had gotten under Crhyst.

Last edited:
Fickell reminds me so much of Frank Solich it isn't even funny. Some guys are just perfect for the MAC level where they can make good talent great but just aren't able to make great talent elite.

I don't care what was going on at Ohio State, they had a loaded roster when he was there. I mean hell OSU went

11-1 and won the Sugar Bowl in 2010. Finishing ranked 5th.
6-7 and lost the Gator Bowl to a mediocre 7-6 Florida team that didn't have an offense in 2011. Finishing unranked for the first time since 2001.
12-0 and finishing ranked 3rd in 2012.

He had Braxton Miller as his QB. The same guy that went undefeated the next year.
He had Carlos Hyde as his starting RB. A guy who had over 1000 yards and 17 touchdowns the next year
not to mention Devin Smith and Jordan Hall. He also had Dan Herron who had over 700 rushing yards and averaged over 5 yards a carry as a senior but missed several games.

He had John Simon, Ryan Shazier, Michael Bennett, Travis Howard, Travis Roby, Onhrian Johnson and Jonathan Hankins on a defense that was honestly not anywhere near as good as they should have been and still only gave up 21 points a game on average... though Nebraska, Wisconsin and Michigan hung 40 on em. *Fickell's year is the last time Nebraska beat the Buckeyes. TY Lavonte David and co.

Virtually every major contributor for OSU's 12-0 2012 team was also there for Fickle's 6 win team and . They all just played much better under Meyer. And it's not like they were awful under Fickel. And it wasn't because of the off field stuff either. Every Player I named played 11 games except Hall who played 10 and Herron who played 7. Hell the vast majority played either 12 or 13 games.. His Starting QB played 12, his Starting Runningback only played 7 but Hyde took over and played 12 and his top 2 WR's as well as his starting TE all played 14... for when they bothered to throw the ball.

I mean it's impressive to have an offense with 1500 passing yards, 18 passing touchdowns to just 5 interceptions on the season, as well as have over 2000 yards, 5 yards a carry and 21 rushing touchdowns from your top 4 ball carriers.... and still have 800 yards and 12 touchdowns in reserve. While having a defense that has multiple nfl draft pick pass rushers, multiple ball hawks in the secondary, gives up 21 points per game on average *though they got blown out by their three biggest opponents... but still ended up scoring 50+ more points than gave up on the year and still only win 6 games.

That's not near as bad as to call him Scott Frost V1.. but it's not good. He may do great at Wisconsin... if he can recruit actual QB"s and WR's they will be scary assuming they don't screw up the rest of what they have... but I don't think Fickel is a guy that gets more out of guys than what they had gotten under Crhyst.
Fickell is a Doofus.

I fu*ckin love the Big Luke Fick D*ck heat he's been bringing. Great hire.

giphy.gif

Guaranteed win against Wisc and Fickell next year and for years to come

Better school - bigger coaching budget - more tradition - better facilities - more devote fan base

Massive failure for Rhule and co if we don’t absolutely own them starting next year

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT