ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW - One of the Hottest Coaches this Cycle ...

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
will have to be Lance Leipold if he keeps winning at Kansas. I'm NOT advocating for ANY name for Nebraska including his but there are some rumors that Lance may be under consideration for Wisconsin if they are looking for a new coach at the end of the season. Leipold of course has a strong background in the state of Wisconsin. I think he'd be a strong opponent at Wisconsin should it go that way. Not sure if he can be lured away from Kansas or not but with the uncertainty of the Big 12 who knows. No doubt other schools also will be looking for new coaches at the end of the season and his name will be high on many lists.

will have to be Lance Leipold if he keeps winning at Kansas. I'm NOT advocating for ANY name for Nebraska including his but there are some rumors that Lance may be under consideration for Wisconsin if they are looking for a new coach at the end of the season. Leipold of course has a strong background in the state of Wisconsin. I think he'd be a strong opponent at Wisconsin should it go that way. Not sure if he can be lured away from Kansas or not but with the uncertainty of the Big 12 who knows. No doubt other schools also will be looking for new coaches at the end of the season and his name will be high on many lists.
All the more reason to lock someone up sooner rather than later. The Nebraska job has to be viewed by many of these potential coaches as in one sense a very attractive job (high pay, great fans, great tradition, new facilities, huge stadium) but also as something fraught with danger (dumpster fire right now, no talent on roster, recruiting headaches). So when other jobs at more stable programs open up (like Wisconsin) they are going to give us stiff competition.

I think he would still take the Nebraska job. Lots of connections here as well. But I also assumed they would give the Wisconsin job to their DC. Plus if Wisconsin opens up I would think they would be in primary position to steal a coach.

P.S. if Wisconsin fires the coach and he gets them to 9 wins this year are they committing the Nebraska Frank Solich mistake.

Why would Wisconsin be looking for a new coach? Have they not learned anything about what happens when you fire winning coaches?

I think he would still take the Nebraska job. Lots of connections here as well. But I also assumed they would give the Wisconsin job to their DC. Plus if Wisconsin opens up I would think they would be in primary position to steal a coach.

P.S. if Wisconsin fires the coach and he gets them to 9 wins this year are they committing the Nebraska Frank Solich mistake.
If Wisky gets to nine wins this year, I don't think they make a change. The only reason Nebraska did (twice) was because, at each time, NU was still trying to be great again and win national championships. Wisconsin has never had that drive or the tradition. Really, no B1G team has other than Ohio St. Even Michigan, despite being a blue blood, has really only seemed content in beating OSU and winning the B1G.

Ya know, it's the old "the Rose Bowl is all that matters" thinking. For decades, that's all the B1G has really cared about. Ohio St. and to some degree, Penn St., changed that.

Anyway, this might all be a moot point because I don't see Wisconsin getting to nine wins this year.

Leipold's record at Buffalo is not as impressive as I was thinking (37-33). I will give him a lot of credit at KU, but their remaining schedule is tough. Let's say that they go 2-4 and finish 6-6 with a bowl trip AND have competitive games with OU, OSU, TX, and ISU. Can you sell that to the boosters? His D1 record would be 45-49 over 8 seasons. Frost was 35-38 in 6+.

Leipold's record at Buffalo is not as impressive as I was thinking (37-33). I will give him a lot of credit at KU, but their remaining schedule is tough. Let's say that they go 2-4 and finish 6-6 with a bowl trip AND have competitive games with OU, OSU, TX, and ISU. Can you sell that to the boosters? His D1 record would be 45-49 over 8 seasons. Frost was 35-38 in 6+.
His first 3 years at Buffalo weren't very good, but his last 3 years were excellent. It's that momentum of improvement which got him the Kansas job.

SIAP: the hottest coach for NU is......... the best coach!!!!
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Don’t understand those who comment firing solich was a mistake…..his teams were nothing more than a shadow of Nebraska's former self…especially so after McBride retired

Got to think there are a significant number of posters on this board today that were too young to remember how many ugly losses NU experienced over Solich's final 3 seasons starting with the 62-36 debacle in Boulder and how much of a drop off was being seen from the 90s. Over his last 27 games as NU's coach, Solich's record was 16-11, with 8 of those losses by more than 17 points, including all 3 in the year he was fired.

Lance's wife is from Omaha. He's also lived here and coached here. I think Wisconsin could potentially get him because he is from there but my gut tells me he'd rather be at Nebraska.

There might be some heat to Nebraska interest in Leipold because the Kansas AD has felt it necessary to warn Nebraska specifically by name that they better not be coming after Leipold because he's going to fight like hell to keep Leipold at Kansas.

Lance's wife is from Omaha. He's also lived here and coached here. I think Wisconsin could potentially get him because he is from there but my gut tells me he'd rather be at Nebraska.
I’m from a small town in Nebraska that I would never consider moving back to. Just because somebody grew up somewhere doesn’t mean they want to go back. Leipold i don’t believe cares if he goes back to Wisconsin

His first 3 years at Buffalo weren't very good, but his last 3 years were excellent. It's that momentum of improvement which got him the Kansas job.
Many among us don't seem to understand this. When taking over dumpster fires, the first two years are rough in terms of wins and losses. It's the turnaround of culture that takes time. The wins will come. A lackluster winning percentage is not a good indicator.

Would be pretty cool to be the guy that gets Nebraska back on track.

Given his abilities, if he really wants to be among the best teams in college football year in and year out and challenge for the BCS, that happens at Nebraska, not Kansas.

Here’s my deal with any of it Like Lance when he’s 6-6 as much as some do now. The emotional roller coaster on this board can be humorous

Here’s my deal with any of it Like Lance when he’s 6-6 as much as some do now. The emotional roller coaster on this board can be humorous
He could very well be 6-0 in the next 2 weeks. So if he loses 6 in a row yeah I don't think people would be too excited.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Good call. Soling 58-19 at Nebraska and Chryst 65-23 at wi heading into this year.

Reactions: Truewooper
I would be surprised if they fired Chryst for one weak year. The guy has four 10+ win seasons, he probably gets a mulligan for this year.

Reactions: Truewooper
Also that was his first FBS job. He likely learned things and applied them to the next job. Personally I think he saw the writing on the wall with SF and took the KU job in order to impress Nebraska enough to get us to hire him. If he had stayed at Buffalo these last 2 years I think he would look similar to Coastal Carolina but he would not be a candidate for the job since everyone wants power 5 experience.

So most likely the opposite of SF's wife of wanting to leave here.

ADVERTISEMENT