ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW: I appreciate the Texas Longhorns because ...

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
they (and their arrogance) drove Nebraska into the B1G conference. Nebraska would never have left the Big 12 if it hadn't been for Texas secret plan behind the scenes to join the PAC with a few selected other Big 12 teams leaving Nebraska and the rest behind to flounder without a viable conference. As it turned out that Texas scheming crap motivated Nebraska into leaving. And Texas wound up staying in the Big 12 after all when the PAC wouldn't cave into all their demands. RollingLaugh

We're ;laughing all the way to the bank. That's the Nebraska karma bus.

they (and their arrogance) drove Nebraska into the B1G conference. Nebraska would never have left the Big 12 if it hadn't been for Texas secret plan behind the scenes to join the PAC with a few selected other Big 12 teams leaving Nebraska and the rest behind to flounder without a viable conference. As it turned out that Texas scheming crap motivated Nebraska into leaving. And Texas wound up staying in the Big 12 after all when the PAC wouldn't cave into all their demands. RollingLaugh

all that money directly benefits the fans o wait lol

all that money directly benefits the fans o wait lol
YES, it benefits the fans because that money pays for top notch coaches, facility upgrades, etc. and provides confidence/stability for the future of the program. You can also know that BTN and the B1G television contracts make games accessible to Husker fans that live a long ways away from the stadium. And imagine how much the ticket prices would have to be rising for the locals if it weren't for the revenue share. Bottom line: Fans benefit in multiple ways.

PS. Take a look at how the "poorer" schools operate.

Last edited:
laughing about NU money compared to Texas money = math.

Texas is in no way concerned about Nebraska’s decision or the financial gains realized from it.

When it comes to $..... TX >>>>>>NE
Never said Texas was jealous of Nebraska money BUT who's in the better conference? Which conference has more prestige? Which conference has more certainty and stability?

Texas' plan to screw over Nebraska didn't work out in the end - that's the karma.

laughing about NU money compared to Texas money = math.

Texas is in no way concerned about Nebraska’s decision or the financial gains realized from it.

When it comes to $..... TX >>>>>>NE
Good for them. Their problem is and always has been their arrogance. Even TAMU had had enough of the BS and was smart enough to move on without them. Texas will always be just fine financially but nobody wants to have anything to do with them anymore. And I might add that it always warms my heart when I see Oklahoma make them their bitch.

Reactions: bigredhunter
I personally saw it as a bad look for Nebraska.

Fans were naturally upset about the 1 second thing with the conference championship game, and most still can't let it go. Then many offer up more excuses about Texas bullying the conference and such, which is likely true, but to me, when you step back and look at it, it was really just Nebraska saying we are taking our ball and going home.

Nationally, others saw it through the lens of a bunch of quitters who couldn't take losing and possibly a bit of poor sportsmanship.

I realize this isn't going to sit well with most fans, and of course there were many things going on behind the scenes during that time, but that angle is one most don't like to consider.

After losing that conference championship game, everything changed with the fans' relationship with Texas, and I thought it was a very petty look, well it still is.

Gotta call bullshit on that. Very specifically, TO asked Texas if they were willing to put their 3rd Tier rights on the table and they said no because they were moving forward with the Longhorn Network and didn't think anyone had the balls to stand up to them (or didn't care).

They wanted the stability and spoils that came with being in a conference they dominated politically while also wanting the freedom to act as an Independent. They were within their rights to pursue world domination as the entity they were and still are, but when they planted that flag, it was the straw the broke the camel's back for NU.

NU also wasn't the first school to leave. Colorado jumped at the chance to join the stable Pac-10 before Baylor took their place (as was rumored at the time). UT even lost their in-state rival when A&M (and Mizzou) bolted for the SEC. Anyone else who could have got out at that time certainly would have. Those were just the only schools with options.

Yes, I understand how some national media chose to portray it. Nebraska couldn't beat Texas so they left, blah, blah, blah. It was a lazy narrative then and it still is now. Except for that small part where Texas left us no choice and, ultimately, NU ended up in an exponentially better situation both athletically and academically. Funny how all the people who bagged on NU for leaving then are eerily silent now.

Should NU have stayed in a house built on shifting sands just so we didn't look (to some) like quitters? In my view, it was UT that quit on the Big 12 with their pursuit of the LHN, but it doesn't really matter at this point. If NU had stayed in the Big 12 at that time with an offer to join the Big Ten on the table, most would have questioned their leadership and general sanity, and rightfully so.

Do you really believe Texas was EVER considering going to another conference? I don't.
The "joining the PAC" story was simply leverage to try to get Nebraska to stop flirting with the BIG. At that time nobody knew if Nebraska had a solid offer to join the BIG, and the Longhorns wanted NU to get nervous about being left out in the cold, and cave to their demands.
Texas was never leaving the Big XII at that time. It was a negotiation tactic...nothing more.

Gotta call bullshit on that. Very specifically, TO asked Texas if they were willing to put their 3rd Tier rights on the table and they said no because they were moving forward with the Longhorn Network and didn't think anyone had the balls to stand up to them (or didn't care).

They wanted the stability and spoils that came with being in a conference they dominated politically while also wanting the freedom to act as an Independent. They were within their rights to pursue world domination as the entity they were and still are, but when they planted that flag, it was the straw the broke the camel's back for NU.

NU also wasn't the first school to leave. Colorado jumped at the chance to join the stable Pac-10 before Baylor took their place (as was rumored at the time). UT even lost their in-state rival when A&M (and Mizzou) bolted for the SEC. Anyone else who could have got out at that time certainly would have. Those were just the only schools with options.

Yes, I understand how some national media chose to portray it. Nebraska couldn't beat Texas so they left, blah, blah, blah. It was a lazy narrative then and it still is now. Except for that small part where Texas left us no choice and, ultimately, NU ended up in an exponentially better situation both athletically and academically. Funny how all the people who bagged on NU for leaving then are eerily silent now.

Should NU have stayed in a house built on shifting sands just so we didn't look (to some) like quitters? In my view, it was UT that quit on the Big 12 with their pursuit of the LHN, but it doesn't really matter at this point. If NU had stayed in the Big 12 at that time with an offer to join the Big Ten on the table, most would have questioned their leadership and general sanity, and rightfully so.
Agree with everything but the idea of Baylor going to the Pac12. I cant see any scenario where either the conference or the school would have saw that as a viable option. If the PAC wanted to get into the Texas market they would have courted TCU, but even that is a stretch. There's a reason that private universities are brought into conferences and the Pac already had Stanford. Why would they ever have looked into a school from Waco Texas?

YES, it benefits the fans because that money pays for top notch coaches, facility upgrades, etc. and provides confidence/stability for the future of the program. You can also know that BTN and the B1G television contracts make games accessible to Husker fans that live a long ways away from the stadium. And imagine how much the ticket prices would have to be rising for the locals if it weren't for the revenue share. Bottom line: Fans benefit in multiple ways.

hmmmmm

are we blowing away the country in coaching salaries? do we have top notch facilities? confidence/stability for the future has nothing to do with cash benefitting fans, nor does B1G network (do you get it for free?!)

oh, you're not subject to gigantic ticket price hikes? what benevolent rulers we have! bless the ncaa & each and every member school.

universities lining their coffers tax-free, very little of that revenue trickling down to the people who matter most (fans, players).

who cares. the 'poorer schools' run circles around us in every single men's sport.

congrats on the bank account tho lmao give me a break

Reactions: saluno22
Agree with everything but the idea of Baylor going to the Pac12. I cant see any scenario where either the conference or the school would have saw that as a viable option. If the PAC wanted to get into the Texas market they would have courted TCU, but even that is a stretch. There's a reason that private universities are brought into conferences and the Pac already had Stanford. Why would they ever have looked into a school from Waco Texas?

The Pac-10 wanted nothing to do with Baylor, that's true. And while Baptist Baylor probably wanted nothing to do with the Pac-10 from a cultural standpoint, they were looking for a life preserver just like everyone else at the time.

That was part of the power game UT was playing with the Pac-10. If we're coming, we're bringing all the Texas teams from the Big 12 South with us. The Pac-10 was good with UT/A&M/TT/CU while UT was trying to replace CU with Baylor.

It was purely a political game on the part of UT (and Baylor), not due to any desire the Pac-10 had to add them. That and the LHN killed any chance of UT going to the Pac-10, although it's unclear if they were ever really serious about it.

So what have we done in the big 10? We lost all of our rivalries, all of our rivalry games, all of our national recognition and even our talent. The number of draft picks we have had in the big 10 per year has dropped precipitously compared to the big 12. We get to look forward to back to back road games against the likes of Wisky and Ohio state and we get home games against Indiana and Illinois...the big 10 have treated us like garbage with unbalanced scheduling and the idiotic scaffolded payouts. TO is responsible for hiring Bo, Solich, and a number of other fired coaches...why do we think he was wise in this decision.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Never said Texas was jealous of Nebraska money BUT who's in the better conference? Which conference has more prestige? Which conference has more certainty and stability?

Texas' plan to screw over Nebraska didn't work out in the end - that's the karma.

Which of our athletic programs have improved since joining this prestigious conference?

It was the right decision financially, but it hasn't led to much success on the fields/courts. And it hasn't been good for the fans. We used to have 3 conference opponents who were within a 3-hour drive from Lincoln. Now our closest conference opponent is nearly 5 hours away.

So what have we done in the big 10? We lost all of our rivalries, all of our rivalry games, all of our national recognition and even our talent.
We didn't lose any rivalries that weren't already ended. Our only rival was OU and they ended our rivalry almost 2 decades ago in favor of UT. As far as other Big 8 schools go, yes it's nostalgic to play Kansas, Iowa St, etc... but we weren't getting any special "national recognition" for beating them. Nobody cares if big bad Nebraska hangs 60 on Kansas.

The number of draft picks we have had in the big 10 per year has dropped precipitously compared to the big 12.
That's 100% on our previous coaching staffs. Period.

We get to look forward to back to back road games against the likes of Wisky and Ohio state and we get home games against Indiana and Illinois...the big 10 have treated us like garbage with unbalanced scheduling
I really don't see the issue here. How is playing quality opponents like Wisc and OSU a garbage move? If you're upset that that is too much for us, then I don't know what else to tell you. If Nebraska is a top program, it should be able to hang with other top programs. Look at any other conference and you'll see that each one, except the Big12, has a group of high level quality teams. You don't see Georgia complaining that they have to plow through Bama, LSU, etc each year. I could go on...

This conference is no different than the Big12 when it comes to "doormat" schools. You complain about games against Indiana and Illinois... but did ever you complain about games vs Baylor, Iowa St, and Kansas??

Playing and beating quality opponents in a respected conference is what will give us our "national recognition" back.

...and the idiotic scaffolded payouts. TO is responsible for hiring Bo, Solich, and a number of other fired coaches...why do we think he was wise in this decision.
Who cares about the payout structure at this point? We are fully vested now; let it go.

TO made some bad decisions when it came to coaching hires. He's not a perfect person. It was never Tom's sole decision to leave for the B1G. Tom may have influence, but he doesn't hold power over the Chancellor and Board of Regents. Blame the latter parties for the decision if you don't like it.

To those pointing out how bad our sports teams have been since joining the B1G, look at the coaching... there’s your answer.

If we continue to suck in football and basketball after hiring Frost and Hoiberg, I will rethink my take on why we suck. Until then, we finally have an AD who wants to win big and is bringing in coaches who can accomplish that.

I suspect that if we start winning in football and basketball, the belly-aching from some about being in this conference will all of a sudden die down...

"
All those schools found out that Nebraska was leaving and that is what caused the domino effect. If we hadn't left, those other schools probably would not have either."

Thats not totally true. Missouri had been trying to get into the Big10 for years. Colorado left before we did. There was a lot of unrest in the conference for quite a while and us getting out didn't cause anything, it was Texas trying to play supreme leader for too long and most of the southern division trying to be their lapdog. Just look at TAMUs financial situation going back to the mid 2000s, they were always going to be financially stable no matter what and are still one of the richest athletic departments. They bailed because Texas was dictating way too much in an attempt to gain unfair advantages.

CU announced the day before we did. Missouri from what I remember never even applied to the B1G. They were actually courted by the SEC, as was TAMU.
Missouri was talking about going to the big10 for years but it was likely just empty threats. Nebraska, ISU, Kansas, Oklahoma, and TAMU were trying to work out a deal to join the Big10 for a couple of years before the whole thing happened. I still think that TAMU and Missouri going to the SEC had more to do with Beebe allowing Texas to get all of the proceeds of the Longhorn Network than anything. That move proved to them that the conference didn't have the balls to put Texas in check so they bailed.

Reactions: wkato
We also went from being a big influencer in a conference to a conference where we have no influence at all.

Ok. So, since 1996, when has Nebraska ceded being a "big influencer" to a conference? Sounds kinda funny... kinda reminds me of that time our conference mates voted to make us the Big 12 and always voted against us....

Flushed the history of the program, rivals, and even traditional recruiting grounds, down the toilet.
In our long history as a program, this move to the Big 10 is not unprecedented. Devaney flirted with them for years in the 60s!

If you want to go further back, Nebraska and all of our regional opponents constantly moved between conferences. Don't play our move like it's some bizarre thing. Plenty schools used to move and leave yearly. That was the old Missouri Valley Conference.

Also, recruiting grounds?! We flushed it out?! Some of our greatest players come from FL,NJ,CA ....

Look at Adrian... AZ. He's seen as one of the top QBs in the USA. Just stop please.

Reactions: wkato
Nebraska has zero influence in the current conference. None. And you're talking about realignment in the 60's and earlier?
Ok. Are you even aware you said something pretty stupid? Between a scale of: I cant... and even... this is I Cant Even.

Also, I'm sure glad NU isn't included on BTN!!!

Recruiting has taken a hit with the move, and hopefully we will bukyild it forward now that Coach Frost is here. It has nothing to do with getting some choice players from other states, but we flushed the majority of our Texas recruiting down the toilet, and as I said, it all needs to be rebuilt.

Nah, it wouldn't have anything to do with 2 coaching staffs really not giving a shit and their lack of performance and results?!!?! Ok .

Look, I don't care if you agree with me or not. I'm not going to change your viewpoint, but there are times when I'm embarrassed by the fans of this program and their victim mentality when it comes to Texas.

Boo Hoo Hoo.. Geez.

Nebraska could have easily gone independent, but we had weak leadership, up and down the line.
I think it's all in your head. Beating texas would be great, but I think you let CNN and other fake news outlets control your beliefs. If you have a functional brain use it. Think for yourself.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Well I did say there were other things going on behind the scenes. But the fan angst against UT came from the 1 second thing.. not necessarily all this other stuff.

Sure NU complained when they moved the CCG to Dallas, but they didn't leave because of all that.. it was that NU was afraid of being without a conference, and it was that scenario that made them move.

All those schools found out that Nebraska was leaving and that is what caused the domino effect. If we hadn't left, those other schools probably would not have either.

I still talk about it and many others do as well. I am pretty positive that moving to the B1G will be seen as the nail in the coffin for NU football at some point in the future.

I agree it was a shaky time. I also agree it was UT that was looking to quit on the Big 12 than the other way around. We didn't however have an offer on the table, we had to go ask for a place to land, and got a pretty hefty financial penalty for doing it. It wasn't an either or decision.

Finally, none of this has anything to do with the fan's hate of Texas.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. Your arguments are all over the place. You say the fans hated UT, which I agree with, but that didn't start until second-gate and the CCG right before we left the Big 12?

I would argue that NU fans started to hate UT much earlier than that, almost from the formation of the conference, but it's a moot point as our fans didn't make the decision to leave the Big 12. Unless you're trying to say that NU leadership decided to leave the Big 12 because of our fans' UT hatred?

Our admin decided to look elsewhere because, again, UT insisted on starting the LHN vs. sharing their 3rd Tier rights with the rest of the conference in forming a Big 12 network. When they wouldn't do that and continued to flirt very publicly with the Pac-10, NU was forced to explore other options, as was every other Big 12 school at that time.

So no, "all of those schools" didn't leave because of Nebraska. Colorado left before we did and Missouri was most certainly trying to work the same channels as NU did to get into the B1G before they settled for the SEC. ISU also tried to lobby the B1G with a sad little website promoting them as a candidate school. The B1G just didn't want them but you better believe they would have jumped first if the option was available.

So you can't have it both ways. You can't act like the Big 12 was a stable conference that NU abandoned and that everyone would have stayed if we did. You said yourself that NU was afraid of getting left without a conference. If that's true, and the Big 12 looked like it was about to dissolve, how is it a bad look for NU or our leadership that we found a new home when we were forced by UT to have to look in the first place?

Your last statement is absolutely correct, though. I just don't understand what NU fans hating UT has anything to do with anything, except that a few lazy writers used that angle to sensationalize NU's reasons for leaving the Big 12.

Last edited:
Do you really believe Texas was EVER considering going to another conference? I don't.
The "joining the PAC" story was simply leverage to try to get Nebraska to stop flirting with the BIG. At that time nobody knew if Nebraska had a solid offer to join the BIG, and the Longhorns wanted NU to get nervous about being left out in the cold, and cave to their demands.
Texas was never leaving the Big XII at that time. It was a negotiation tactic...nothing more.
What you said makes zero sense. Making UNL nervous about being left out in the cold would just increase the sense of urgency to move to a more stable conference. Also Texas was literally about to join the PAC until ESPN gave them their network at the last possible minute.

Reactions: timnsun
If we had not invented new ways to choke against them we may not be in the B1G. 1-8 leaves some scars.

Last edited:
You don't see Georgia complaining that they have to plow through Bama, LSU, etc each year. I could go on...
That's one of the worst examples you could give. Georgia rarely plays either of those teams in the regular season...

2019: Neither
* 2018: at LSU
$ 2017: Neither
2016: Neither

2015: vs. Alabama
2014: Neither
2013: vs. LSU
* 2012: Neither
^ 2011: Neither
2010: Neither

2009: vs. LSU
2008: vs. Alabama, at LSU
2007: at Alabama
2006: Neither
^ 2005: Neither

2004: vs. LSU
^ 2003: vs. Alabama
2002: at Alabama
2001: Neither
2000: Neither

* played Alabama in the CCG
^ played LSU in the CCG
$ played Alabama in the CFP Title Game

10 times over 20 seasons has Georgia been scheduled to play either Alabama or LSU, and Georgia has only been scheduled to play both Alabama and LSU once (2008: one home, one away). Two other times, Georgia has played both of those teams by way of CCG (2003 and 2018).

The previous poster's point was that NU has been shafted by the schedule makers who have us travel to Ohio State and Wisconsin in consecutive weeks. I think this has happened a couple of times since we joined.

This could turn into a 8- vs. 9-game conference schedule and size of conference debate. Note the significant dropoff in the frequency with which Alabama and LSU appear on Georgia's schedule after the SEC expanded to 14 teams in 2012.

Pre-2012: 7 matchups over 12 seasons
2012-2019: 3 matchups over 8 seasons

It may not look like a ton of difference, but one thing the SEC does well is not over-cannibalize itself via scheduling.

Recruiting has taken a hit with the move, and hopefully we will build it forward now that Coach Frost is here. It has nothing to do with getting some choice players from other states, but we flushed the majority of our Texas recruiting down the toilet, and as I said, it all needs to be rebuilt.

Look, I don't care if you agree with me or not. I'm not going to change your viewpoint, but there are times when I'm embarrassed by the fans of this program and their victim mentality when it comes to Texas.

Boo Hoo Hoo.. Geez.

Nebraska could have easily gone independent, but we had weak leadership, up and down the line.

Recruiting sucked because the coachs doing the recruiting and recruits didn't see Nebraska as a viabel option. Callahan recruited well, but once they got on campus there was no developement.

Seems your playing a bit of the victum mentality about the move to the Big 10.

Living in Austin, and working for the orange devils, I'm thankful that Texas has sucked at both basketball and baseball, because that makes me laugh. But football does appear to be trending up, though the stadium is still half-empty for games. That hasn't stopped from from spending $175 million on a south stadium project that will basically add a couple dozen skyboxes and a different location for the godzillatron. They really do shat money.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. Your arguments are all over the place. You say the fans hated UT, which I agree with, but that didn't start until second-gate and the CCG right before we left the Big 12?

I would argue that NU fans started to hate UT much earlier than that, almost from the formation of the conference, but it's a moot point as our fans didn't make the decision to leave the Big 12. Unless you're trying to say that NU leadership decided to leave the Big 12 because of our fans' UT hatred?

Our admin decided to look elsewhere because, again, UT insisted on starting the LHN vs. sharing their 3rd Tier rights with the rest of the conference in forming a Big 12 network. When they wouldn't do that and continued to flirt very publicly with the Pac-10, NU was forced to explore other options, as was every other Big 12 school at that time.

So no, "all of those schools" didn't leave because of Nebraska. Colorado left before we did and Missouri was most certainly trying to work the same channels as NU did to get into the B1G before they settled for the SEC. ISU also tried to lobby the B1G with a sad little website promoting them as a candidate school. The B1G just didn't want them but you better believe they would have jumped first if the option was available.

So you can't have it both ways. You can't act like the Big 12 was a stable conference that NU abandoned and that everyone would have stayed if we did. You said yourself that NU was afraid of getting left without a conference. If that's true, and the Big 12 looked like it was about to dissolve, how is it a bad look for NU or our leadership that we found a new home when we were forced by UT to have to look in the first place?

Your last statement is absolutely correct, though. I just don't understand what NU fans hating UT has anything to do with anything, except that a few lazy writers used that angle to sensationalize NU's reasons for leaving the Big 12.

This. It's not that hard to understand.

Just like the best time to get a job is when you already have one.

It was a real possibility that Texas and little brother Oklahoma were going to jump to the PAC 12.

Then what?

People think Nebraska got a raw deal from the BIG on the move we made -- can you imagine the deal we would have ended up with if we were negotiating without a viable conference?

Or worse yet, trying to cobble a Midwestern conference back together after losing (at least) Texas and OU then likely TAMU, Mizzou, and maybe Okie State? Trying to replace them with Boise/Houston/TCU/Cincy? What would THAT TV deal have looked like?

What you said makes zero sense. Making UNL nervous about being left out in the cold would just increase the sense of urgency to move to a more stable conference. Also Texas was literally about to join the PAC until ESPN gave them their network at the last possible minute.
What I said is true. Texas and company wanted a firm commitment from NU to stay in the Big 12 and NU was given a deadline in which to commit. At the same time, Texas and their little sisters were throwing out rumors of joining the Pac 10. The tactic was to get the Huskers to accept the "bird in the hand" over the unknown possibility of the Big Ten, as the Big Ten had not offered NU a place in the conference yet. The move backfired, as it prompted the Big Ten to vote on the Huskers joining sooner than they had planned to.

And Texas was getting their network, regardless of the conference they were in. Texas was never going to join the PAC...not then, not ever.
The only person to report that Texas was going to the Pac 10 was Chip Brown. You know, the same Chip Brown that insisted that NU was never going to be offered a place in the Big Ten...The same Chip Brown that said there was no truth to the rumor that Texas A&M was going to the SEC. Chip was never anything more than a propaganda mouthpiece of Texas athletics.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT