ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW: Hawkeyes Shelling Out the Big Bucks

Hopefully someday you can double your win total and get to 8.

If we do, we surely won’t be giving out a large bonus for doing so. That probably explains as to why Ferentz over his history is a 7.5 win a season coach. He doesn’t need to do any better.

Why does this board keep talking about Iowa?

I don't give a rat's A$$ about Iowa, the state or the football program.

Exactly. I don't know what the financial situation is for the University of Iowa, but I do know if they win 7 of every 10 games against Nebraska over the next 30 years they'll even the series between the schools at 38-38-3.

Anyone who isn't desperate to find a rival would look at the 7-5 NU series advantage against Northwestern and the quality of those games and realize that they're presenting themselves as a legitimate rivalry much more so than an Iowa team that Nebraska has owned for so many years to the tune of a 29-17-3 advantage.

Instead, they are awarding and giving bonuses for 8 win seasons.
FWIW, last fall between 5 offensive and 4 defensive starting linemen, all but one were from the state of Iowa. Homegrown pride, strong S&C, development, and chips on their collective 2 star ratings will do wonders ! I grew up remembering past Husker teams that were unmatched upfront. It will happen again for you guys, sooner than later. Winning football is blocking and talking better than the other guy. :D

Doyle is worth every penny. Hell, even PJ Fleck called him the best strength coach in America. (Maybe even elite). Iowa is a developmental program, they would be the first to tell you that. While most think player development focuses on what occurs on the practice field, that is minimal compared to the development in the weight room, linear and lateral speed training, nutrition, sleep, leadership development, etc. That is all Doyle and why Iowa can take multi sport, Midwest kids and turn them into NFL players. A lot of times more successful at that then winning games.

The reason why Iowa has had so much recent success vs Nebraska has little to do with scheme or recruiting but rather player development (strength staff). It’s still early, but Duval appears to be closing that gap!
Gee, you would think that someone said this decades ago,that 60% of your success was made in the offseason in SnC.
Hmm, that someone was Ton Osborne, now part of the 50 years of celebrating Husker power!

Weve lent it out to wiscy, then iowa copied that, but now we're back, at 150+ strong!

FWIW, last fall between 5 offensive and 4 defensive starting linemen, all but one were from the state of Iowa. Homegrown pride, strong S&C, development, and chips on their collective 2 star ratings will do wonders ! I grew up remembering past Husker teams that were unmatched upfront. It will happen again for you guys, sooner than later. Winning football is blocking and talking better than the other guy. :D
Too bad you got out Gunnersonned for one of your best.

Meh he was a plan b or c recruit at best. No big loss most Iowa fans weren’t high on him at all.
Yea, the riches in iowa,it shows,your punter was superb!
Just toss him aside , the rest of those players in iowa wont notice your attitude, and like all iowatts, you arent alone.
Watch for more defections,as those players could care less about defective fans.
Tell us more how worthless he is, please, go on, tell us.

Equipment could be the same but there are a million different ways to utilize it. Different programs for different positions/age groups. Sleep patterns and recovery can be a science. I think whoever the S&C guy was under Riley could be classified as being “bad” at his job.

Right on, dude. You keep speaking the truth.

Per Footballscoop, Iowa continues to shell out the big bucks. Now not only for Ferentz and his assistant coaches but also for strength coach Doyle, who has been with the Hawkeyes and Ferentz for over two decades now. He will become the highest paid strength coach in college football, followed closely by Ohio State’s Mickey Marotti ($735k), Tennessee’s Craig Fitzgerald ($625k), and Clemson’s Joey Batson ($600k). No doubt Iowa is finding ways to spend that B1G money.

Well worth it imo.

Holla

Exactly. I don't know what the financial situation is for the University of Iowa, but I do know if they win 7 of every 10 games against Nebraska over the next 30 years they'll even the series between the schools at 38-38-3.

Anyone who isn't desperate to find a rival would look at the 7-5 NU series advantage against Northwestern and the quality of those games and realize that they're presenting themselves as a legitimate rivalry much more so than an Iowa team that Nebraska has owned for so many years to the tune of a 29-17-3 advantage.
Since WWII 1942 Iowa is 10-9 vs Nebraska.

How about we start at 2013 then?

Always convenient for Herky’s sticking out their chest during the Riley era...

Lucky for Ioway they didn’t schedule Nebraska in any of the decades of the 60”s 70’s and 90’s..

Reactions: GaRed
Since WWII 1942 Iowa is 10-9 vs Nebraska.
Unfortunately, selecting arbitrary dates and saying it only counts from x-date to x-date isn't the way the tally is figured.

Likewise, even if it is done, it's done from the start of the modern era, which is 1946 (the first year after WWII), and Nebraska holds the advantage from that date to the present date as well.

Nebraska is actually the 9th best team in all of college football during the modern era.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/blog/index2cce.html?p=63

Perhaps you want to go to the AP era as the modern era? Nebraska is the 6th best team in all of football during that era and holds the advantage over Iowa.

http://footballscoop.com/news/ohio-state-best-program-college-footballs-modern-era-according-ap/

So, unless you're arbitrarily selecting dates that literally nobody else uses as a starting point, like 2013-present or Pearl Harbor-present, Nebraska has been better than Iowa. For uniformity and simplicity sakes, however, let's just assume that every game in the series has actually counted.

Unfortunately, selecting arbitrary dates and saying it only counts from x-date to x-date isn't the way the tally is figured.

Likewise, even if it is done, it's done from the start of the modern era, which is 1946 (the first year after WWII), and Nebraska holds the advantage from that date to the present date as well.

Nebraska is actually the 9th best team in all of college football during the modern era.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/blog/index2cce.html?p=63

Perhaps you want to go to the AP era as the modern era? Nebraska is the 6th best team in all of football during that era and holds the advantage over Iowa.

http://footballscoop.com/news/ohio-state-best-program-college-footballs-modern-era-according-ap/

So, unless you're arbitrarily selecting dates that literally nobody else uses as a starting point, like 2013-present or Pearl Harbor-present, Nebraska has been better than Iowa. For uniformity and simplicity sakes, however, let's just assume that every game in the series has actually counted.
I get for that argument 3 times, the overall, the start of modern football, then the start of the current head coach.. I don’t like people who move goal post for their arguments Stats the facts and move on.. Iowa has a losing record against Nebraska that’s a fact..

Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
How many times has iowa recruited that undeserving Gunnerson and lost?
Did they try at all?
Or, were they uppity,as he preferred to look around and consider other options?
Sour grapes Gunnerson

Why do so many of you get butt hurt over Iowa's success. They are living in their glory years right now , let them have it. You don't think things will go south after the KF era ? Time is not on their side and the tide will turn this year.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Why do so many of you get butt hurt over Iowa's success. They are living in their glory years right now , let them have it. You don't think things will go south after the KF era ? Time is not on their side and the tide will turn this year.
You tell them that, then they say theyve got baby ferentz.
Agreed, they really dont know what theyve got, kf most likely will be the all time longest coaching coach in the Big, til about ten years before SF retires that is.

Iowa’s been a pretty solid program for the last 40 years or so.

I don’t see that changing just because Ferentz retires.

Reactions: SWIowahawks

They have been more than solid this past decade . Most programs have a drop off when coaching tenures end after 20 plus years . They will.

True, it was always a backup plan for Iowa
If true, then this is exactly why Iowa rarely if ever plays for championships. You don’t plan B or plan C a highly rated homegrown talent. Nebraska did that sort of stuff under Callahan, Pelini, and Riley. It bit us in the butt more often than not.

Theyve just had two of their best coaches back to back.
Glad we didnt have any problems doing the same....

ADVERTISEMENT