ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW - Conference Realignment

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
Heard one guy today say that the B!G is planning to get rid of Warren (I can only hope that's actually true) and poach some teams from the ACC in response to the SEC move. Have zero idea if he knows anything or is just a crackpot looking for publicity. He thinks it's all headed to two super conferences of 20 teams each in 3 years or sooner, the two being the B1G and the SEC. He thinks outside of the ACC, only Kansas is a BIG possibility because of the basketball history but not a first choice. As I said, FWIW only.

Poaching from ACC would be very expensive.
I can see UVA and UNC as targets. Large media markets expanding the Big Ten footprint. Maybe get Notre Dame to come along with KU. Of course, this would be desirable only if the conference alliances don't work out. I have no idea what communications have taken place between conference officials and potential schools.

Reactions: bowlhawk
I can see UVA and UNC as targets. Large media markets expanding the Big Ten footprint. Maybe get Notre Dame to come along with KU. Of course, this would be desirable only if the conference alliances don't work out. I have no idea what communications have taken place between conference officials and potential schools.
Problem is their conference rights agreement is through 2036.

Heard one guy today say that the B!G is planning to get rid of Warren (I can only hope that's actually true) and poach some teams from the ACC in response to the SEC move. Have zero idea if he knows anything or is just a crackpot looking for publicity. He thinks it's all headed to two super conferences of 20 teams each in 3 years or sooner, the two being the B1G and the SEC. He thinks outside of the ACC, only Kansas is a BIG possibility because of the basketball history but not a first choice. As I said, FWIW only.
I didn't read past shit toss Warren, before I felt euphoric

Reactions: timnsun
I like getting rid of Warren. Anything else will take years. But a good manager will look long game. Warren doesn't know the term

Would love for this to be true. Is the guy you heard this from connected at all? Just curious, as it would be awesome, but don’t want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed…

The whole Notre Dame thing should be banned from our thoughts. Just like the crowning of Oklahoma as a legitimate title contender. Until Notre Dame actually is forced to join it's just a pipe dream. Just like until Oklahoma doesn't get destroyed in the playoffs, or the BCS title game (formerly). Let's all look at programs that are realistic adds. Now that there is talk of an alliance against the SEC of the THREE remaining power conferences, this may not happen for a while. The funny thing is Bowlsby got played by the Pac 12 last week.

Reactions: run4fun11
Some random guy you talked to or somebody that might actually know something? Add some context ffs.

the big should go after ku, osu & a&m.
that would put it's footprint in texas, without the drama 0u and tu brings.
and leave the door open to add another texas team in the future (like aau/houston/rice)
then in the east add north carolina

then your starting down the east coast too, incase the sec want to poach the acc....in the future
you could try to get aau teams like gt, georgia or florida.

then adding any pac teams would be the ace in the hole.

Poaching from ACC would be very expensive.
Supposedly according to this rumor Virginia and North Carolina are the two lead teams and lawyers think the ACC media contract isn't worded correctly to keep them from leaving. Again just the rumor, don't know if there is any truth at all to any of it.
Some random guy you talked to or somebody that might actually know something? Add some context ffs.
No, not some guy I personally talked to. Although I don't recall his name, he claims to be a football guru in the know who does regular podcasts. If I remembered his name you could find him on the web. BUT as I said I have zero idea if he knows anything. It's just an input. So take it FWIW.

If the conference wanted to rid of Warren they would have already done so..

What can the guy screw up next is now what I’m afraid of for the upcoming football season..

I have no idea how connected this guy is, but seems to be suggesting that Kevin won’t be fired, he will find a new “opportunity”.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudHogRider
I have no idea how connected this guy is, but seems to be suggesting that Kevin won’t be fired, he will find a new “opportunity”.
Well their surely not wanting to fire him and hoping he moves on his own…

The back lash would be so great because he is a African America, if he would have been a white guy he would have been gone sooner than later..

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
The ACC and PAC should proceed with caution re: negotiations for an “alliance” with the B1G.
Warren, and a number of B1G presidents, showed us last year that they are not to be trusted.

If he think Kansas is a realistic BIG possibility, than the guy you just listened to doesn't know Jack Sh_t. Also, Kevin Warren is untouchable and can't be fired.

The whole Notre Dame thing should be banned from our thoughts. Just like the crowning of Oklahoma as a legitimate title contender. Until Notre Dame actually is forced to join it's just a pipe dream. Just like until Oklahoma doesn't get destroyed in the playoffs, or the BCS title game (formerly). Let's all look at programs that are realistic adds. Now that there is talk of an alliance against the SEC of the THREE remaining power conferences, this may not happen for a while. The funny thing is Bowlsby got played by the Pac 12 last week.
I agree completely. As an ND fan living in Omaha, I don’t expect them to give up their independence unless forced to. Even then, I’m not sure they would.
ND went years of not playing in bowl games because they interfered with finals.
Please don’t take this as arrogance, they just have different way of looking at things. Many times to the point of frustration for us fans.

I agree completely. As an ND fan living in Omaha, I don’t expect them to give up their independence unless forced to. Even then, I’m not sure they would.
ND went years of not playing in bowl games because they interfered with finals.
Please don’t take this as arrogance, they just have different way of looking at things. Many times to the point of frustration for us fans.
Maybe, I don't have any insights on Notre Dame thinking. BUT times definitely are changing a lot these days. And who ever thought Notre Dame would partially align itself with the ACC? I think if the college football world evolves into super conferences, Notre Dame probably would not want to be isolated from that situation if they couldn't play anyone from the super conference(s) or participate in their playoffs and a possible national championship. But I may be wrong.

Maybe, I don't have any insights on Notre Dame thinking. BUT times definitely are changing a lot these days. And who ever thought Notre Dame would partially align itself with the ACC? I think if the college football world evolves into super conferences, Notre Dame probably would not want to be isolated from that situation if they couldn't play anyone from the super conference(s) or participate in their playoffs and a possible national championship. But I may be wrong.
I hope the BIG/ACC/Pac12 scheduling makes independence difficult for Notre Dame.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I've liked this all along. Adding approximately 20 million in Virginia/NC where as Oklahoma only adds 4 million as the SEC already had Texas covered.

Your conclusion derives from the same old-model thinking that said the idiotic additions of Rutgers and Maryland were a good idea.

Would love for this to be true. Is the guy you heard this from connected at all? Just curious, as it would be awesome, but don’t want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed…
Don’t get your hopes up. ACC schools aren’t going anywhere in the next decade.

I hope the BIG/ACC/Pac12 scheduling makes independence difficult for Notre Dame.
How does anyone see that kind of scheduling actually working out? Where are the "easy" and "mark it as a win" games people have become so fond of? Eventually, you have such a brutal schedule that coaches and fans are going to be tired of the constant mediocrity.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT