ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW: B1G Expansion Thoughts after the Media Contract

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
Lot of pundits now are speculating that further B1G expansion is likely after the media contract agreement. Surprises me that there would be more expansion so soon but it sounds like the speculation stems from the media contract being written with options for if/when further expansion takes place. People are thinking the B1G is after more PAC teams to help USC/UCLA play more games nearer to home and in order to beef up the late time slot offerings for NBC. Most frequently mentioned seems an expansion to 20 teams with Oregon, Washington and Stanford. 4th team TBD but likely still after ND, especially now with NBC on board and if Stanford joins.

I think once you get to a 20 team conference of big name teams with large followings, you're in the situation where a media contract with that super conference is worth more in total as a group than it would be by just adding up each individual team's worth. It becomes such a significant provider of content as a group that you need to be part of it if you really want to be serious contender in broadcasting college football. That may be the driving factor now in trying to cover the nation from coast to coast with a conference.

Lot of pundits now are speculating that further B1G expansion is likely after the media contract agreement. Surprises me that there would be more expansion so soon but it sounds like the speculation stems from the media contract being written with options for if/when further expansion takes place. People are thinking the B1G is after more PAC teams to help USC/UCLA play more games nearer to home and in order to beef up the late time slot offerings for NBC. Most frequently mentioned seems an expansion to 20 teams with Oregon, Washington and Stanford. 4th team TBD but likely still after ND, especially now with NBC on board and if Stanford joins.
Very strong possibilities. Also keep an eye on Arizona State.

Many are looking at the brand name of the school but the B1G is probably putting the TV market at an even higher premium.

Oregon pulls in the Portland market
Washington ---- Seattle
Stanford ----- Oakland-San francisco
ASU ------- Phoenix which has exploded the last couple of decades and is now the 5th largest in US

Many are looking at the brand name of the school but the B1G is probably putting the TV market at an even higher premium.

Washington ---- Seattle
ASU ------- Phoenix which has exploded the last couple of decades and is now the 5th largest in US
When I went to the Oregon game 6 years ago, all’s I seen were tons of tents on the side of the interstate system with people living in them.. I can’t imagine Portland would be a bigger market over a city like Phoenix..

Washington ---- Seattle
I haven't seen any speculation about ASU by the pundits but I agree with your logic that the Phoenix market is significant. Along that line of logic, as a distant dark horse, Colorado could be a last resort given the Denver market.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Kevin Warren is an ASU alum so it wouldn't surprise me if he got ASU in as a thank you for getting USC/UCLA and potentially Oregon/Washington/Stanford.

When I went to the Oregon game 6 years ago, all’s I seen were tons of tents on the side of the interstate system with people living in them.. I can’t imagine Portland would be a bigger market over a city like Phoenix..
It's not but the Portland metro has 2.5 million people - more than the state of Nebraska.

Seattle has 4 million metro

And Phoenix is closing in on 5 million

Do keep in mind ASU has both wrestling and hockey--not revenue sports but an additional fit for the Big 10

oregon, wash & stanford...then the big 10 will tell nd, it's them or cal.....

I would rather they tell nd it's them or houston....cal doesn't bring the population or recruiting houston does...

that gets to 20.....then nd has a second chance on the way to 24

Last edited:
Reactions: baseball31ne
oregon, wash & stanford...then the big 10 will tell nd, it's them or cal.....

I would rather they tell nd it's them or houston....cal doesn't bring the population or recruiting houston does...

that gets to 20.....then nd has a second chance on the way to 24

Personally I'd rather see ASU as the 4th addition IF ND declines again. Phoenix a better market for B1G IMO and closer to the schools added from the PAC. Houston is an important market but it's already dominated by Texas A&M and Texas.

And of course there are many B1G alums living in Arizona.

Last edited:
Kevin Warren is an ASU alum so it wouldn't surprise me if he got ASU in as a thank you for getting USC/UCLA and potentially Oregon/Washington/Stanford.
ASU isn't joining the B1G, they aren't an AAU member and they aren't worth $100 million. Other smaller schools that join are going to be getting smaller shares.

Reactions: moralvictories
ADVERTISEMENT