ADVERTISEMENT

Future Luke

Soooo.... is the idea still that Luke wants to be a QB? If so, how’s that gonna work? Wouldn’t Luke see a more lucrative future as a WR where he could go to the league like his dad?

He’s a fool to pursue being a QB. You’d think someone in his family would speak the truth to him or that Luke would be bright enough to figure it out for himself. I don’t get it.

Reactions: headcard
Paging nustudent. Any truth to Luke rumors posted in this thread. Dammit, I can’t remember the other super reliable side that posts here. You all get three guesses to help me out.

He’s a fool to pursue being a QB. You’d think someone in his family would speak the truth to him or that Luke would be bright enough to figure it out for himself. I don’t get it.

I agree, not sure why the kid would be so adamant about only being a QB, but there seems to be a lot of smoke here.

Then how do you explain Christian being an NFL running back?
Christian, although doing well, is getting banged up more and more. Most likely has 2-3 years left in the NFL of that kind of punishment. I'll bet his experiences are also playing a part in the family's wishes for Dylan & Luke.

There's a handful of people at most who think Luke has a bright future at qb, unfortunately one of those people happen to be his coach.

REX_weekend_at_bernies_kab_140129_31x11_608.jpg

No matter what position he plays or where, the kid needs to start packing in the PB&J or he'll get snapped in two

I agree with the general sentiment that Luke's future is not behind center. However, I get the sense, based on no particular insight, that Luke will not be switching positions, and might very well transfer. The days when players took the sage advice of coaches is long gone.

I agree with the general sentiment that Luke's future is not behind center. However, I get the sense, based on no particular insight, that Luke will not be switching positions, and might very well transfer. The days when players took the sage advice of coaches is long gone.
Agree but how did they convince him to do it vs. OSU?

an extremely marginal improvement in decision making for Luke and he's lightyears better than the lameduck we trot out at QB for loss after loss after loss after loss.

or, really, no improvement if calling plays to his, and the rest of the offense's, strengths.

martinez is finished, has been for 2 full seasons.

If Luke hits the Portal, what is your guess a new QB transfer is on the board the same day, or next? I would assume, if he does transfer he was asked to move positions, and they already have someone lined up!

If Luke hits the Portal, what is your guess a new QB transfer is on the board the same day, or next? I would assume, if he does transfer he was asked to move positions, and they already have someone lined up!
I would bet against it

Then it's a super easy decision, you move him. If he's an awful QB and he'll quit if you change his position, you change his position and wish him luck.
He can play QB somewhere, just not at a P5 school. His value to the program is at another position (or positions).

I know you hate Frost with a burning passion, but what is he supposed to say about current players?

Should he have said, “We aren’t sure about Luke, so we are gonna keep our options open.”

Hate on Frost for other things, but not this.

Correct me if I’m wrong, this wasn’t even a question on Luke’s future. It was simply who was going to be the starter vs Iowa. Frost went out of his was to proclaim “Luke is the future of Nebraska football.”

So yeah, I think it would be a big deal to lose “the future of Nebraska football.” Of course, it could have been Frost talking out of his ass again which would surprise nobody.

“Cam Jurgens can be the second coming of Dave Rimington”-Scott Frost

Correct me if I’m wrong, this wasn’t even a question on Luke’s future. It was simply who was going to be the starter vs Iowa. Frost went out of his was to proclaim “Luke is the future of Nebraska football.”

So yeah, I think it would be a big deal to lose “the future of Nebraska football.” Of course, it could have been Frost talking out of his ass again which would surprise nobody.

“Cam Jurgens can be the second coming of Dave Rimington”-Scott Frost
Again, just tell me what he should have said instead. He’s trying to keep non starters happy, so he is gonna talk them up. Most coaches do.

So what should he have said?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Again, just tell me what he should have said instead. He’s trying to keep non starters happy, so he is gonna talk them up. Most coaches do.

So what should he have said?

So when he says “Luke is the future of Nebraska football”...that keeps Smothers happy...how?

What should he have said? How about just skip over that Luke part and just proclaim what he said next. “Right now we have to play the best guy who helps us win.”

So when he says “Luke is the future of Nebraska football”...that keeps Smothers happy...how?

What should he have said? How about just skip over that Luke part and just proclaim what he said next. “Right now we have to play the best guy who helps us win.”
The reality is, I don’t believe there is anything he could say that you would like. You’ve already made up your mind, in my opinion.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The reality is, I don’t believe there is anything he could say that you would like. You’ve already made up your mind, in my opinion.

So how does “Luke is the future”..keep Smothers happy? Or Martinez happy for that matter? Answer me that.

I mean yeah, Frost’s mouth is on par with his performance but really I think what would make most happy is just putting a solid product on the field for once. I wouldn’t care if Frost continues to embarrass himself behind the mic if he started to win games.

So how does “Luke is the future”..keep Smothers happy? Or Martinez happy for that matter? Answer me that.

I mean yeah, Frost’s mouth is on par with his performance but really I think what would make most happy is just putting a solid product on the field for once. I wouldn’t care if Frost continues to embarrass himself behind the mic if he started to win games.
At the time of those words Smothers is a true freshman. He gets it. And he knows if he’s good enough he will jump McCaffrey.

I agree we need to see some wins on the field. He needs to field an offense that can get the job done, and he hasn’t yet. But when asked a direct question about Luke (which is what I assumed happened) he chose to answer it with hyperbole, like so many other coaches do. Sure he could have answered differently, but he didn’t. I don’t see it as a big deal in the way you do.

That being said, I do think part of the reason we disagree is my optimism compared to your pessimism (or realism, if you prefer that word).

Frost may never be the answer. But I don’t mind giving him more time to figure it out.

Your posts are a real treat.

I’m not the one proclaiming “no doubt” Luke is the future of Nebraska football. Scott Frost is. That will no doubt be referenced if Luke transfers. And I have no idea if he’s even considering it.

But, according to some on this thread anybody telling him he’s a QB is blowing smoke up his ass. Or not a D-1 QB.

Let the kid play QB at playing QB and get him on the field just to keep him around another year. Once Smuthers beats him out, hopefully he won't want to leave.

Somebody show the kid the tapes. This is shaping up to be Crouch NFL, Luke NCAA deja vu. Don't miss your payday because of pride and let your big brother give you hands outs. You be the one giving the handouts!

I’m not the one proclaiming “no doubt” Luke is the future of Nebraska football. Scott Frost is. That will no doubt be referenced if Luke transfers. And I have no idea if he’s even considering it.

But, according to some on this thread anybody telling him he’s a QB is blowing smoke up his ass. Or not a D-1 QB.
Well right now it is apparent that we NEED Luke to stay at QB to back up Adrian. That will remain the case regardless if Smothers proves he can play. I'm not disappointed in Frost having recruited Adrian. I am disappointed in how we seemed to settle for Haarberg instead of a guy who played in a bigtime high school program and had demonstrated the ability to execute in a somewhat advanced passing game. Haarberg and Smothers will either make or break Frost IMO unless he somehow pulls a rabbit out his hat in this next class via a transfer or true freshman QB. All 3 of our backup QBs appear to me to be huge projects.

If Luke wasn't Christian's brother there is no doubt in my mind he doesn't get an NU offer to play QB.
I think when Frost looked at him he saw Eric Crouch....and he might still end up before he's done here being able to do a lot of what Crouch did.

Well right now it is apparent that we NEED Luke to stay at QB to back up Adrian. That will remain the case regardless if Smothers proves he can play. I'm not disappointed in Frost having recruited Adrian. I am disappointed in how we seemed to settle for Haarberg instead of a guy who played in a bigtime high school program and had demonstrated the ability to execute in a somewhat advanced passing game. Haarberg and Smothers will either make or break Frost IMO unless he somehow pulls a rabbit out his hat in this next class via a transfer or true freshman QB. All 3 of our backup QBs appear to me to be huge projects.

Haarberg could payoff big time imo. I like big QBs - not these 6'1 QBs we have had for years now. He will wait his turn to get his shot, don't have to cater to make him stay. We need more of those type of players

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT