ADVERTISEMENT

Future Luke

Correct me if I’m wrong, this wasn’t even a question on Luke’s future. It was simply who was going to be the starter vs Iowa. Frost went out of his was to proclaim “Luke is the future of Nebraska football.”

So yeah, I think it would be a big deal to lose “the future of Nebraska football.” Of course, it could have been Frost talking out of his ass again which would surprise nobody.

“Cam Jurgens can be the second coming of Dave Rimington”-Scott Frost

Or the "people better get us now because by year we gone be dangerous" or something like that.

Or Bill Moos saying "Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh are hiding under their desks right now"

Come to think of these 2 had some of the all time quotes.....had me so hyped up I may have lost a lil money smh. Lol

Honest question: Is there any evidence whatsoever that McCaffrey has refused to change positions, or that he's even been asked to?

I'm inclined to agree that he has a better future at WR, but Frost's opinion is the one that matters and he seems to want him at QB. There's already plenty of drama with today's players without inventing more.

Again, just tell me what he should have said instead. He’s trying to keep non starters happy, so he is gonna talk them up. Most coaches do.

So what should he have said?

NO THEY DON'T. I've never heard Urban Meyer or Nick Saban saying how great a player would be on signing day or before a player even accomplished a damn thing.

Hell Frost said Martinez will be the greatest QB in the school history. How is that working out? It's amazing because of all the legends he's been around (Osborne, Snyder, Parcells, Belichick even Chip Kelly) none of those dudes hyped up players the way Frost does. He even admits he is guilty of it.

The Great Dr. Tom Osborne at the most would say " we think he could be good player here"....this would be Ahman Green running for 200 yards!!

Well right now it is apparent that we NEED Luke to stay at QB to back up Adrian. That will remain the case regardless if Smothers proves he can play. I'm not disappointed in Frost having recruited Adrian. I am disappointed in how we seemed to settle for Haarberg instead of a guy who played in a bigtime high school program and had demonstrated the ability to execute in a somewhat advanced passing game. Haarberg and Smothers will either make or break Frost IMO unless he somehow pulls a rabbit out his hat in this next class via a transfer or true freshman QB. All 3 of our backup QBs appear to me to be huge projects.

I agree fully! It seems like we increasingly taking players who are "projects" at Nebraska now.

Even taking too many dudes and moving them from TE to C/WR, S to LB from OL to DL and vice versa. We are not good enough to have half our classes be projects.

I'm fine with 1 or 2 but this is getting ridiculous...

NO THEY DON'T. I've never heard Urban Meyer or Nick Saban saying how great a player would be on signing day or before a player even accomplished a damn thing.

Hell Frost said Martinez will be the greatest QB in the school history. How is that working out? It's amazing because of all the legends he's been around (Osborne, Snyder, Parcells, Belichick even Chip Kelly) none of those dudes hyped up players the way Frost does. He even admits he is guilty of it.

The Great Dr. Tom Osborne at the most would say " we think he could be good player here"....this would be Ahman Green running for 200 yards!!

It was actually TO himself that said that about Martinez, not Frost.

So coaches don’t use hyperbole? Ever? You list 2 of the all time greats in Meyer and Saban.

I agree that it would be nice if he toned down his rhetoric. Not everyone has to be the best recruit ever. But to claim that coaches don’t use hyperbole is a stretch as well. I didn’t say all coaches use hyperbole, but I do believe a majority do. Living up in PJ land, tons of hyperbole coming out of that guy.

Reactions: dinglefritz

You know.... in hindsight it was a mistake but a new young coach at a new program probably wants to throw out some hyperbole to get swaggy recruits hyped and create some clickbait.

Reactions: timnsun
I agree fully! It seems like we increasingly taking players who are "projects" at Nebraska now.

Even taking too many dudes and moving them from TE to C/WR, S to LB from OL to DL and vice versa. We are not good enough to have half our classes be projects.

I'm fine with 1 or 2 but this is getting ridiculous...
You virtually HAVE to have guys move from TE to OT in particular if you're going to field guys who are athletic enough to stand up to OSU's pass rushers. Safety to linebacker is a no brainer. Tom did that a lot. QB is the main place I'm concerned about. It's the number one position you HAVE to succeed at to have success. Adrian was a very good QB prospect coming out. Smothers? Maybe. Luke's athleticism is tantalizing and he's got a super high football IQ. Haarberg is definitely a project.

OF course Tom also said that Zac Lee was going to be the next Husker QB drafted in to the NFL after watching him practice. I suppose he might have been if he hadn't screwed up his throwing arm and shoulder.

• Wow
Reactions: ATX Husker

I NEVER heard Osborne say in ANYTHING like about a player he had WHILE he was HEAD COACH. He definitely never said that "hyberbole" about players who hadn't done anything in their career yet.....WHILE HE WAS COACH.

He knew better than to do that and Frost even admitted it afterwards..

Adrian may indeed have the best overall physical ability but that physical ability is offset by lack of other, non physical abilities.

Reactions: headcard
Well right now it is apparent that we NEED Luke to stay at QB to back up Adrian. That will remain the case regardless if Smothers proves he can play. I'm not disappointed in Frost having recruited Adrian. I am disappointed in how we seemed to settle for Haarberg instead of a guy who played in a bigtime high school program and had demonstrated the ability to execute in a somewhat advanced passing game. Haarberg and Smothers will either make or break Frost IMO unless he somehow pulls a rabbit out his hat in this next class via a transfer or true freshman QB. All 3 of our backup QBs appear to me to be huge projects.

Frost had to settle for Haarberg, all of the other QBs he was recruiting turned him down and committed elsewhere. The regression of Martinez in 2019 hurt our QB recruiting big-time.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Honest question: Is there any evidence whatsoever that McCaffrey has refused to change positions, or that he's even been asked to?

I'm inclined to agree that he has a better future at WR, but Frost's opinion is the one that matters and he seems to want him at QB. There's already plenty of drama with today's players without inventing more.

No evidence. He seems like a gamer that just wants to play.

ADVERTISEMENT