ADVERTISEMENT

Funny exchange between Harbaugh and Frank Beamer

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
This from Dirk's Mad Chatter blog in the OWH.

A pretty humorous story about an exchange between Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer and Michigan's Jim Harbaugh before the 2010 Orange Bowl.

(Frank) Beamer leans back in his chair and loosens a memory from late 2010. The Hokies of Virginia Tech, where Beamer has coached for the last 28 autumns, were preparing to play Stanford in the Orange Bowl. A few days before the Jan. 3 game, Beamer met the Cardinal head coach—Harbaugh—at an event at a restaurant in Miami.

“After we take some pictures, we start talking, just the two of us,” Beamer said. “Jim says over and over how much respect he has for Georgia Tech. He must have said it five times. I’m just looking at him like, ‘Are you serious?’

“Finally, I’m joking with him and I say I can’t wait to tell my team that you called us Georgia Tech. Because, you know, we’re Virginia Tech.”

Harbaugh then threw his infamous shark expression at Beamer: mouth agape, eyes on fire, looking poised to chomp. Harbaugh’s assistants have seen this look for years; he sometimes holds it for about 30 seconds without speaking, causing everyone in eyeshot to wonder what is flowing through his mind—if anything.

Beamer continued to lock eyes with Harbaugh for a few moments, waiting for him to say something, anything. It may have been the most uncomfortable silence of Beamer’s life.

“Well,” Harbaugh finally told Beamer. “I can’t wait to tell my players that you said you were going to play Samford, not Stanford!” He then turned and walked away.

I used to think Harbaugh had a method to his madness before, but I'm starting to think he might just be a little "off."

He walks a fine line. Win and he's an eccentric genius. Lose and that quirkiness loses it's allure. The latter becomes very difficult to live with if not meeting expectations.

Some of the highest achievers in society are that way because they are highly insecure and self critical.

Some of the highest achievers in society are that way because they are highly insecure and self critical.

Insecure and self-critical,can lead to achievements. Thinking that you are smarter than everyone else in the room can come back to bite you.

Reactions: baseball31ne
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT