ADVERTISEMENT

Fundamentals.....

Dadmaster

Walk On
Dec 18, 2017
giphy.gif

Scott Frost now says that the problems the defense had were because of poor fundamentals....and that they were going to have to work on that and fix it during this break.

Here we are midway of year two and he says they need to work on fundamental?

giphy.gif

Scott Frost now says that the problems the defense had were because of poor fundamentals....and that they were going to have to work on that and fix it during this break.

That should have been the focus the moment he got here. Before you can play fast and agressive, first your players need to know what they're doing, they need to know how to play hard and play through the entire play. They need to know how to focus on each and every play and maintain discipline on every play. It seems like when this staff came in they forgot to teach the fundamentals and only focused on running through things fast. You can't just focus on the fundamentals one week and call it good and think that's going to change anything. You actually need to put those fundamentals into use in every single practice from the start of fall camp and every single practice throughout the season. From what I see from this team on game days, it doesn't look like a group that actually uses the fundamentals in every practice like they should.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Like I’m pretty sure they have worked on fundamentals already. But you still need follow up refresher courses.
Yes one would assume that. Sure seems like a lot of either unbroken bad habits, lack of discipline, or flat out getting whooped.

That should have been the focus the moment he got here. Before you can play fast and agressive, first your players need to know what they're doing, they need to know how to play hard and play through the entire play. They need to know how to focus on each and every play and maintain discipline on every play. It seems like when this staff came in they forgot to teach the fundamentals and only focused on running through things fast. You can't just focus on the fundamentals one week and call it good and think that's going to change anything. You actually need to put those fundamentals into use in every single practice from the start of fall camp and every single practice throughout the season. From what I see from this team on game days, it doesn't look like a group that actually uses the fundamentals in every practice like they should.

Good forbid an opposing player is bigger, faster or stronger.

Yes one would assume that. Sure seems like a lot of either unbroken bad habits, lack of discipline, or flat out getting whooped.
I think it’s one of the difficulties of a major rebuilding project. There are sooo many different fires that you don’t have the luxury of spending adequate time on each one of them. So you kind of have to spread it out as evenly as you can and then react to whatever flares up after that.

giphy.gif

Derp, Urban Meyer said the same thing last year during their bye following their butt kicking at the hands of purdue. It is a standard thing to work on during the bye. You have to remember that kids only get two weeks of fall camp, this followed three months without coach interaction, then game day preparation and then the grind of the season. They only have "practice" Monday through Wednesday...or three days a week, the rest is mental work or walk-throughs. They have to complete scout team preparations during the three practice days. There is a tiny chance he is really saying they are going to go back and see if some young guys can pass the old guys and we can overhaul our roster the final couple weeks. Looking at fundamentals is a nice way of saying we are back to square one in evaluations because everybody is on even footing with fundamentals.

Good forbid an opposing player is bigger, faster or stronger.
Well then I guess you're saying Duval isn't doing his job. Besides a lot of that comes from mentality too. If your players are mentally strong, they'll play bigger, faster, and stronger than they really are.

My brother has lifted weights for years while I haven't touched a weight since high school. I probably can't even lift half as much as him, yet when boxing out in basketball I'm the one knocking him on his ass. It's not because I'm stronger but because I believe I can do it.

We seem to have some players that look the part but are easily pushed around by even smaller players. Our Dline averages over 320 while Wisconsin's is under 300, yet I doubt you see Wisconsin's Dline get pushed around like ours does.

I think it’s one of the difficulties of a major rebuilding project. There are sooo many different fires that you don’t have the luxury of spending adequate time on each one of them. So you kind of have to spread it out as evenly as you can and then react to whatever flares up after that.
If that's the case, I'd prefer that playing fundamentally sound and disciplined football be addressed first. The fact that it didn't happen, the staff deserves all the flack they get for it.

Derp, Urban Meyer said the same thing last year during their bye following their butt kicking at the hands of purdue. It is a standard thing to work on during the bye. You have to remember that kids only get two weeks of fall camp, this followed three months without coach interaction, then game day preparation and then the grind of the season. They only have "practice" Monday through Wednesday...or three days a week, the rest is mental work or walk-throughs. They have to complete scout team preparations during the three practice days. There is a tiny chance he is really saying they are going to go back and see if some young guys can pass the old guys and we can overhaul our roster the final couple weeks. Looking at fundamentals is a nice way of saying we are back to square one in evaluations because everybody is on even footing with fundamentals.
We may do that but that doesn't mean every team does. I've heard of teams doing scrimmages on Thursdays. If your team isn't tackling well and every team looks physically stronger than you, you should maybe think about doing more full speed practices. It's not like you can't get mentally prepared for the opponent at the same time.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
giphy.gif

At least he recognizes the problems.

Well then I guess you're saying Duval isn't doing his job. Besides a lot of that comes from mentality too. If your players are mentally strong, they'll play bigger, faster, and stronger than they really are.

My brother has lifted weights for years while I haven't touched a weight since high school. I probably can't even lift half as much as him, yet when boxing out in basketball I'm the one knocking him on his ass. It's not because I'm stronger but because I believe I can do it.

We seem to have some players that look the part but are easily pushed around by even smaller players. Our Dline averages over 320 while Wisconsin's is under 300, yet I doubt you see Wisconsin's Dline get pushed around like ours does.

I did include "faster". Under which "quicker" applies. If they're quicker, it doesn't mean our fundamentals are poor.

We may do that but that doesn't mean every team does. I've heard of teams doing scrimmages on Thursdays. If your team isn't tackling well and every team looks physically stronger than you, you should maybe think about doing more full speed practices. It's not like you can't get mentally prepared for the opponent at the same time.

I think our fans are chasing the shiny things again. We didn't score against Minni...no amount of tackling was going to matter. Minnesota has scored 30+ in 6 straight big 10 games...we've given up 30+ points in in like 26 of our last 30 games... we were going to give up 24-30 points...our terrible offense allowed them to do what they wanted on offense. Our linebackers had a rough night, our backup safeties had a rough night. We are one olb short and Domann being the NB really hurts us in power sets. They had a good scheme but we needed to score at least 30 to win. That wasn't going to happen in any reality. Same thing goes for Indiana, they are going to score 20-30 points... will we be healthy enough to get to 30...if we are we might win.

Just unbelievable to me that we are this far into the season and we are talking about fundamentals. What did they work on all last spring and all summer long. Terrible coaching and I think Scott has lost this team after what I watched last Saturday in Minnesota.

Reactions: Catch50

I believe TO went fully live a couple times a week. Those guys seemed to tackle pretty well.

I think our fans are chasing the shiny things again. We didn't score against Minni...no amount of tackling was going to matter. Minnesota has scored 30+ in 6 straight big 10 games...we've given up 30+ points in in like 26 of our last 30 games... we were going to give up 24-30 points...our terrible offense allowed them to do what they wanted on offense. Our linebackers had a rough night, our backup safeties had a rough night. We are one olb short and Domann being the NB really hurts us in power sets. They had a good scheme but we needed to score at least 30 to win. That wasn't going to happen in any reality. Same thing goes for Indiana, they are going to score 20-30 points... will we be healthy enough to get to 30...if we are we might win.

One thing at a time. Last year we lost more games because of our defense rather than our offense. This year the offense has sputtered more as of late. I think the entire defense is still our biggest problem when we are fully healthy on offense. Our OLine is a close 2nd.

One thing at a time. Last year we lost more games because of our defense rather than our offense. This year the offense has sputtered more as of late. I think the entire defense is still our biggest problem when we are fully healthy on offense. Our OLine is a close 2nd.
Our championship teams were reliant on dominant defense...we built that defense because 9 or 10 of our starting offensive players came from nebraska and we could spend limited recruiting time on defensive players. So either Frost needs to devise an offense that can function with Nebraska kids or easier to gather recruits..or he devises a co-dependent scheme. Think about playing Wisky...you know what you are going to get the first three drives or so. If you offense is explosive you score on those you are up 24-0...you sell out aggressively to stop the run because the worst thing that can happen is a big play but then you get the ball back. So wisky is down 24-0 and have to throw, or risk milking the clock with their run game...this applies to Iowa, Penn state, Michigan state, Wisky...those teams want to control the tempo of the game...playing a very aggressive defence gives them three choices...either to make a big play or punt or turn it over. That is not what they want. They want long, physical drives that wear a team out. They want a 10-3 game...we aren't going to replicate those teams...power football has proven to be inefficient in terms of winning big games. Games are too close and too open for a weird bounce to lead to loss. Oregon made two national title games with recruiting classes that averaged 24th...there is no other team that can say that. The oregon model will work but it will take time.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Our championship teams were reliant on dominant defense...we built that defense because 9 or 10 of our starting offensive players came from nebraska and we could spend limited recruiting time on defensive players. So either Frost needs to devise an offense that can function with Nebraska kids or easier to gather recruits..or he devises a co-dependent scheme. Think about playing Wisky...you know what you are going to get the first three drives or so. If you offense is explosive you score on those you are up 24-0...you sell out aggressively to stop the run because the worst thing that can happen is a big play but then you get the ball back. So wisky is down 24-0 and have to throw, or risk milking the clock with their run game...this applies to Iowa, Penn state, Michigan state, Wisky...those teams want to control the tempo of the game...playing a very aggressive defence gives them three choices...either to make a big play or punt or turn it over. That is not what they want. They want long, physical drives that wear a team out. They want a 10-3 game...we aren't going to replicate those teams...power football has proven to be inefficient in terms of winning big games. Games are too close and too open for a weird bounce to lead to loss. Oregon made two national title games with recruiting classes that averaged 24th...there is no other team that can say that. The oregon model will work but it will take time.

If this were a realistic scenario, I might buy in. When's the last time anyone was up 24-0 on Wisconsin? Last year was very atypical of the last 10 years for Wisconsin, and even then no team was up 24-0 on them. And their offense has almost always been able to score on teams, by running over them. We used a similar blueprint to win National Titles. But even then, we were physical on both sides of the LOS.

Keep in mind that the adage isn't "Defense wins games, offense wins championships." It's the converse. You have to be a sound defense in the B1G to get to the B1G Championship game. You try to outscore teams in the B1G, and you'll be making reservations for the Pinstripe Bowl each year. Look what happened to Ohio State last year when their offense was elite and their defense was pedestrian.

But let's get real, the only way for us to become more competitive in the West is to become much more physical at the point of attack, and to stop making horrendous mistakes first and foremost.

I don't know why people are making light of the fundamentals. Nebraska has not been fundamentally sound since the 1990's. If you can't block a guy one on one or tackle a guy one on one, it doesn't matter your offensive or defensive scheme, you are going to lose. You have to have a solid foundation on which to build your house.

Reactions: oldjar07

Our D line is largely NOT the problem with our defense. Our linebackers and safeties are.

Boxing out a 50 year old isn't exactly the same thing as trying to beat a double team to try to make a tackle. Rob Zatechka says minimum 2-3 years to get to where you need to be to play in the trenches. We had 18 months of S&C to get there. Why do you keep taking these ridiculous positions.

Reactions: BartonHusker
if we put more effort into wrapping up when tackling and less effort into dancing after a play, it would help tremendously.

less effort into hair styles and more into blocking, that would help a lot also

...power football has proven to be inefficient in terms of winning big games. Games are too close and too open for a weird bounce to lead to loss. Oregon made two national title games with recruiting classes that averaged 24th...there is no other team that can say that. The oregon model will work but it will take time.

Yep, I guess that why TO could never win any big games. Being a fluff-ball team we don't have to worry about "big games".....we lose to almost everybody so we have no "big games" anymore.

This is all a mental thing with the older players, the Jr's and seniors on this squad don't know what it's like to have sustained success or to work hard as losing has been an accustomed habit with little to no accountability as the 5th year guys have gone through multiple position coaching changes as well as being on their 3rd Head Coach in 5 years having no stability and no culture until now. The 3rd, 4th and 5th year guys haven't had any real culture in a system and philosophy to grow in and are basically stuck in their old ways and it won't change. Unfortunately we may not see any real results until Frost's 1st senior class comes around, I know it sucks when I say that when Riley's recruits as well as the few Pelini recruits are gone is when progress will be truly made as this roster will then be free of the bad habits and laziness of previous coaching staffs and will be only Frost's recruits and team. That is when the culture will fully take hold and we start seeing consistency in the win column. The wins will start coming when the culture has taken hold. It's a mentality.

Last edited:
Are practice reps and individual coaching being diluted due to the extremely large roster size?

Could it be similar to a teacher who goes from a classroom size of 15 to 30

Last edited:
This game is 90% blocking and tackling. If you can't do those 2 things well you are going to be in trouble. We haven't done those well since 2014.

Are practice reps and individual coaching being diluted due to the extremely large roster size?

Could it be similar to a teacher who goes from a classroom size of 15 to 30
It's certainly a lot harder to manage no matter what people want to say. A lot of those guys know they have no chance of ever seeing the field so they probably don't try as hard. When you have a large group that thinks that way, that type of attitude can affect the players that do play as well. It's not easy to watch over 150 players, many of whom are never going to play.

If this were a realistic scenario, I might buy in. When's the last time anyone was up 24-0 on Wisconsin? Last year was very atypical of the last 10 years for Wisconsin, and even then no team was up 24-0 on them. And their offense has almost always been able to score on teams, by running over them. We used a similar blueprint to win National Titles. But even then, we were physical on both sides of the LOS.

Keep in mind that the adage isn't "Defense wins games, offense wins championships." It's the converse. You have to be a sound defense in the B1G to get to the B1G Championship game. You try to outscore teams in the B1G, and you'll be making reservations for the Pinstripe Bowl each year. Look what happened to Ohio State last year when their offense was elite and their defense was pedestrian.

But let's get real, the only way for us to become more competitive in the West is to become much more physical at the point of attack, and to stop making horrendous mistakes first and foremost.

In 2014 OSU beat them 59-0... Frosty's goal is to be the most unique offense in the conference, and we know we are in the top 4 in offensive recruiting, so we can run a weird offense with players that are better than 75% of the conference. The defense starts to have more and more players like Cam Taylor over time...he has like 80% of our forced fumbles and INTs. The Frostfense is predicated on inside run, effectively a screen run, let defenders up the field and block linebackers...the big 10 is strong in the front 7, but if you can force the front 7 to respect the inside run then all of the screens, pitches, and slot dumps to TEs begin to work. I imagine we will move to a pistol, H-back, power back inside run at a times...I mean Oregon had one of the all time great power guys in Legarrette Blunt. Right now we don't have the horses but we know the staff can coach an offense to become one of the best in the nation, and an offense that can move the ball against the top of the SEC. And his offense at UCF wasn't full of top recruits. The bottoming out of the program was October last year...at that point we were 6-18 in our previous 24 games. The program has been building for 1 year and we are 8-5 since. If we can get healthy, I expect 6 wins and a bowl game. That would be inline with Frosts 1st year at UCF...I just think we are a year behind because it was a different situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT