FtT weighs in on USC/UCLA to Big 10

bama_husker

Offensive Coordinator
Aug 21, 2004
Daphne, AL

Didn't see it coming.

I like this comment Laughing

Alan from Baton Rouge
So much for THE ALLIANCE and all their aspirational flowery prose about doing things the right way, and standing up to the dirty ole ESS-EEE-SEE.
Turns out The Alliance was more like the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, only to have the B1G launch Operation Barbarosa on the P-12 a year later.
Seriously, as I wrote this time last year, the UT & OU to the SEC, was the first step toward a Disney League and a FOX League for college football. USC & UCLA to the B1G is just the next step. I wouldn’t be shocked it every P-12 school – except Oregon State and Washington State – eventually get a B1G invite to get to 24. Then the SEC responds by picking their best eight in the ACC – UNC, Duke, NC State, VA Tech, UVA, Miami, Florida State & Clemson – when available.
In the words of Frank the Tank, serious baller move by the B1G. Congratulations on the second best expansion move.

Last edited:
I think Notre Dame becomes the prime target (again) IF the B1G wants to expand further. Notre Dame may be reading the tea leaves.
They are the biggest target left for sure. I think they like the idea of being associated with the ACC, but now the Big 10 & SEC are separating from the pack fanancially, and it's clear they are the big dogs.
Basically about half the P5 will be in those conferences making huge money off of TV rights.
I didn't think ND would join the Big 10, but now the landscape has changed, and if they want to be at the big table, they will have to choose, and it's not going the be the SEC.
Kind of strange, though, that the Big 10, a coast to coast conference, would have 3 teams in Indiana.

They are the biggest target left for sure. I think they like the idea of being associated with the ACC, but now the Big 10 & SEC are separating from the pack fanancially, and it's clear they are the big dogs.
Basically about half the P5 will be in those conferences making huge money off of TV rights.
I didn't think ND would join the Big 10, but now the landscape has changed, and if they want to be at the big table, they will have to choose, and it's not going the be the SEC.
Kind of strange, though, that the Big 10, a coast to coast conference, would have 3 teams in Indiana.

The Big 10 is now receiving a call from Larry Bird on behalf of Indiana State University.

Reactions: HuskerO
The difference is you can't really count Notre Dame as a team with an Indiana fanbase. They are a national draw and I suspect a bigger draw in Chicago than is Northwestern.

The difference is you can't really count Notre Dame as a team with an Indiana fan base. They are a national draw and I suspect a bigger draw in Chicago than is Northwestern.
We've been talking off and on about TV markets on this board for 20 years now. We've discussed it, argued about it. Some people may be interested in it and that's fine. But to me it would mean more if our team was a factor on the national scene again. Until then, it's like we're all arguing about what the Thanksgiving dinner should be when we aren't even invited to the feast.

I could see Oregon, Stanford, Colorado and Utah - ND heads to the ACC (already half way there)

money slicks galore. now just need some professional coaches to let us compete. maybe they are already here? scales tipping towards doubt it.

We've been talking off and on about TV markets on this board for 20 years now. We've discussed it, argued about it. Some people may be interested in it and that's fine. But to me it would mean more if our team was a factor on the national scene again. Until then, it's like we're all arguing about what the Thanksgiving dinner should be when we aren't even invited to the feast.
Who on this board disagrees with this? Of course it would mean more to every Nebraska fan on the planet if we were a factor in the national scene. Not sure what that has to do with USC and UCLA joining the conference. Arguing about TV markets and Nebraska being relevant nationally are 2 different things.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Who on this board disagrees with this? Of course it would mean more to every Nebraska fan on the planet if we were a factor in the national scene. Not sure what that has to do with USC and UCLA joining the conference. Arguing about TV markets and Nebraska being relevant nationally are 2 different things.
More to the point - who argues over what should be for dinner on Thanksgiving?

literally the only day of the year where the menu is set for all Americans

The difference is you can't really count Notre Dame as a team with an Indiana fanbase. They are a national draw and I suspect a bigger draw in Chicago than is Northwestern.
Oh, it is not even close.

I grew up in Chicago and the ND coverage makes it like they are "The local team", now, they are only like 90 minutes from Chicago but they (football anyway) was all over the news and Tribune and Sun-Times.

usc-cheerleaders-bikinis.jpg

USC's all bikini team top

UCLA on bottom

ht-366e.jpg

I for one am very excited about these additions.

I probably didn't explain myself well enough. Until Nebraska returns to playing great football week in and week out, I'm not going to care about TV markets. People who work in the media, or for the Big 10, Nebraska, etc. are going to say it's a big deal. Just not to me.

Reactions: timnsun

I grew up in Chicago and the ND coverage makes it like they are "The local team", now, they are only like 90 minutes from Chicago but they (football anyway) was all over the news and Tribune and Sun-Times.
A lot of catlicks in Chicago.

Northwestern tries with their mktg calling them “Chicago’s big ten team” for their slogan in signs and shit.

But to me it would mean more if our team was a factor on the national scene again. Until then, it's like we're all arguing about what the Thanksgiving dinner should be when we aren't even invited to the feast.

If not the Big Ten, where today would Nebraska have a better chance of being on the national scene again. With K-State and Iowa State in the Big 12? With Colorado State and Wyoming in the Mountain West?

Reactions: huskerfan66
If we are poaching other conferences - might consider Baylor and TCU
Not if eyeballs/media markets are the driving force in this phase of expansion ..... which it appears to be as Southern California and the gigantic LA market is added to the Big Ten. Schools like Baylor and TCU - small private schools not named Notre Dame - are so far down the totem pole of prospective expansion candidates that they are scraping dirt.

Notre Dame is the whale. A dedicated coast-to-coast fan base so large that the school has had an exclusive TV contract with a national broadcaster for more than 40 years.

Not if eyeballs/media markets are the driving force in this phase of expansion ..... which it appears to be as Southern California and the gigantic LA market is added to the Big Ten. Schools like Baylor and TCU - small private schools not named Notre Dame - are so far down the totem pole of prospective expansion candidates that they are scraping dirt.

Notre Dame is the whale. A dedicated coast-to-coast fan base so large that the school has had an exclusive TV contract with a national broadcaster for more than 40 years.
The irony is that for years Notre Dame had the richest contract but now it would appear they could get more media money as a equal share member of the B1G than as an independent.

Texas also was brought down a notch when the Longhorn Network failed to deliver for them and they wound up joining the SEC.

And I'll bet there are still some people in Texas who wished the Longhorns had gone to the B1G instead of the SEC. Especially the university academics. Remember Texas once flirted with the PAC because of their affinity for USC and flirtation eventually led directly to Nebraska's departure from the Big 12. And once Texas also wanted to be with Notre Dame which never happened.

Reactions: huskerfan66
If not the Big Ten, where today would Nebraska have a better chance of being on the national scene again. With K-State and Iowa State in the Big 12? With Colorado State and Wyoming in the Mountain West?
I'm fine with Nebraska in the Big 10. But until we can get back to being a great, or even good, program, I'm not going to share the excitement of the Big 10 grabbing a presence in the LA market. I just don't care. And I'm a little old fashioned too. I think that the regional competition and historical rivalries are (were) a big deal in college football. It's all about money now. I get that. They make more money and spend more money. Yippee.

Reactions: WHCSC

I would agree on ND, but TCU is in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and Baylor about 60 miles down the road.

I would agree on ND, but TCU is in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and Baylor about 60 miles down the road.
Its a major market but TCU can't really compete with the Longhorns n a similar sense that Omaha will always be dominted by Husker fans even though UNO has a campus there. SMU is located in Dallas also.

Baylor has more appeal IMO but the same viewer competition problem especialy when you factor in TAMU, TTech, Houston in addition to the Univ of Texas - all larger major public universities and state-wide fan bases. Tech has 3X the enrollment of Baylor, e.g.

Baylor and TCU are thrid tier expansion candidates. The SEC and B10 are fishiing in deeper waters right now.

Its a major market but TCU can't really compete with the Longhorns n a similar sense that Omaha will always be dominted by Husker fans even though UNO has a campus there. SMU is located in Dallas also.

Baylor has more appeal IMO but the same viewer competition problem especialy when you factor in TAMU, TTech, Houston in addition to the Univ of Texas - all larger major public universities and state-wide fan bases. Tech has 3X the enrollment of Baylor, e.g.

Baylor and TCU are thrid tier expansion candidates. The SEC and B10 are fishiing in deeper waters right now.
Unfortunately true for those schools you mentioned. Their best bet is a merger between the PAC and B12

ADVERTISEMENT