ADVERTISEMENT

FSU Closer

Rollskerz

Oct 30, 2018
Saw something unprecedented today. Why would you ever have a position player who just scored the go ahead run Sprint to the bullpen to close the game?!?! Kid had to be gassed. Mike Martin is made a questionable decision. They're lucky they won tbh.

Saw something unprecedented today. Why would you ever have a position player who just scored the go ahead run Sprint to the bullpen to close the game?!?! Kid had to be gassed. Mike Martin is made a questionable decision. They're lucky they won tbh.
All I know is I have no idea who you are.

Reactions: saluno22

Your sarcasm is misplaced, most of the people on the baseball board actually watch the team and understand the game. The problem wasn't that we used Gomes in the 9th it was that they burned Schanaman for an out with a depleted bullpen.

Let us not also forget one is a junior having played in multiple post seasons. Like Huskerfan said, I wasn’t upset he went with Gomes, I would of just rather seen he keep Shay in and have Gomes ready. If Shay gives up a big hit or a walk then you have Gomes ready to go.

I know what the baseball go to is in that situation and I understand it. To me it was just not the normal situation is all. Gomes had been a tad shaky as of late so it worried me is all. Whereas Shay had been clutch as of late and earned the 9th. Baseball is such an emotional/mental sport.

Some of us will stick to the script (which is fine) but some of us look at those other factors as well (which is also fine).

I just saw it as our highest odds of success for that moment is all. Coaching I’ve made similar calls and playing I’ve had coaches do the same. So it isn’t that abnormal.

I remember when VanHorn decided not to bring in our closer during a regional title game and instead brought in our Friday starter in Shane Komine. That goes against everything he had done all season. But when push came to shove VanHorn knew who gave them the better odds for that moment.

Either way let’s not compare an experienced 3 year starter and 4th round draft pick to a first year Freshman. It doesn’t make any sense. GBR

ADVERTISEMENT