ADVERTISEMENT

Frost?

The bad news is Frost was kind of our last shot at turning this shit show around, yet we may not win another game. The good news is that we will see a lot less trolls around here because we’ve become so irrelevant. I mean, do people go over and troll Rutgers? That’s where we are.

Reactions: Huskred01
We returned TWO of our worst linemen from last year AND are starting a walk on soph and a freshman center. That's a recipe for exactly the dish we're seeing.

Lack of talent(and we are more talented than what’s shown) doesn’t have much to do with continued breakdowns and lack of fire.

Go back and watch the tape last night. Minnesota Oline was in our grill all night finishing plays and playing to the whistle. The Nebraska Oline looked like they would rather be playing fortnite. Mindset is an obvious issue and it starts with Frost.

Lack of talent(and we are more talented than what’s shown) doesn’t have much to do with continued breakdowns and lack of fire.

Go back and watch the tape last night. Minnesota Oline was in our grill all night finishing plays and playing to the whistle. The Nebraska Oline looked like they would rather be playing fortnite. Mindset is an obvious issue and it starts with Frost.
When you know the guy across from you is going to clean your clock, it's pretty tough to show much fire. I think you're correct in that when Minnesota drove so easily to start the game and we had those STUPID penalties, the old "here we go again" mindset took hold and we folded.

Reactions: Huskred01
Simplistic way to look at it. I think they are in 1 year contracts. So the ones making $300k could be unemployed in one season with no buyout. 1 year unemployed and that salary drops to $150k over 2 years. Need to get longer contracts so they can coach for 5 years. They work like 16 hour days. They shouldn't have to worry about financial stuff in season. If they get fired, just means a buyout. No biggie...life goes on. Saban I think makes $9 million by the way.
They have not actually proven that they are worth multi-year contracts and I would venture to say that what they have (length) is probably the norm and not anything out of the ordinary for their position. AND>..who gives a flying ass what Nick Saban makes....he actually earns it.

The bad news is Frost was kind of our last shot at turning this shit show around, yet we may not win another game. The good news is that we will see a lot less trolls around here because we’ve become so irrelevant. I mean, do people go over and troll Rutgers? That’s where we are.
If he's our last shot, he still has plenty of time to do so. He's a young guy, so hopefully he's able to adapt and figure this out. Or maybe it takes him 3-4 years to get all "his guys". Either way he's not going anywhere soon so, I guess we all get used to losing and continue to support the team somehow or move on in our lives without Husker football being as important as it once was. Or, you know, do whatever. I'm going to continue to get pumped every season, and be as critical and opinionated as I feel like being. GBR.

I feel like the CU loss was coaching...I feel like OSU and Minny had way more to do with the other teams just being flat out better.
Which is also due to coaching if the other team is that much better.. Coaches don't just coach on game day.

Dafuq? Fire their asses if they aren't getting it done. That's what real leaders do. If Frost is serious about getting us back to being a competitive team he needs to let go, Chinander, Walters, Austin, Ruud, and Verduzco this year.
Austin, DeWitt, and Chinander or Ruud would be my list. Two years of poor position group play in a row, you should be done imo.

It takes time. New staff, better competition and 18-22 year old young men. As far as getting in assistant coaches ear , you do that behind closed doors.

Honestly, all three are winnable. Really want a win against Iowa though.
All 3 are only winnable if the players want to win them. I’m not saying they want to lose but they have to have that killer instinct! They have to want to taste the blood in the water! They have to want it more than the guy across for them.

Taking away positives from this game. It was played in the cold. Anything can happen in that weather. Vedral looks really good and was dropping dimes. Defense played outstanding in the second half. We had a nice drive to score that TD. 4-3 is still a winning record.

Has he surrounded himself with a low-rent coaching staff? In this early stage of his Nebraska coaching career, it sure seems to be trending that way.

Too early to tell, but I'm not impressed so far. I expected a more disciplined team.

They have not actually proven that they are worth multi-year contracts and I would venture to say that what they have (length) is probably the norm and not anything out of the ordinary for their position. AND>..who gives a flying ass what Nick Saban makes....he actually earns it.
Stop with the proven crap. The entire Husker program starts with entitlement. We haven't won a conference championship in 22 years yet in two weeks 90k fans will fill the stadium and cheer their asses off as long as the team does anything right. The players win or lose will then go on the road and have 20k husker fans in the stands cheering them on. The entire motivational structure is broken at NU because we are afraid to vote with our feet and wallets. We are afraid the program will fall even further behind if we stop paying for this ineptitude. The funny thing is, the football program and fan support has paid for a massive sports bill that you do not see in the SEC, but the football program has seen relatively little investment up until Frost. That is the sign of a broken system. There is ZERO motivation for the huskers to win because winning requires tough, unethical decisions...like cutting other athletic programs, spending lavishly on shiny facilities with little function, maybe looking the other way when Big Red Auto does their thing... Nobody right now on that team (earned) deserves 90k watching them...nobody high up deserves the revenue created by such a spectacle...but it happens nonetheless. It is de facto communism. Funneling money to an elite group of people who have not earned the right to such resources. The quality of the product, and the energy invested through the collective unit has not earned that support. And to be clear...I love the team, the coaching staff, and feel bad for them when 90k show up to watch a team little better than Purdue. I can't imagine the pressure.

Reactions: Slantsflood7
Stop with the proven crap. The entire Husker program starts with entitlement. We haven't won a conference championship in 22 years yet in two weeks 90k fans will fill the stadium and cheer their asses off as long as the team does anything right. The players win or lose will then go on the road and have 20k husker fans in the stands cheering them on. The entire motivational structure is broken at NU because we are afraid to vote with our feet and wallets. We are afraid the program will fall even further behind if we stop paying for this ineptitude. The funny thing is, the football program and fan support has paid for a massive sports bill that you do not see in the SEC, but the football program has seen relatively little investment up until Frost. That is the sign of a broken system. There is ZERO motivation for the huskers to win because winning requires tough, unethical decisions...like cutting other athletic programs, spending lavishly on shiny facilities with little function, maybe looking the other way when Big Red Auto does their thing... Nobody right now on that team (earned) deserves 90k watching them...nobody high up deserves the revenue created by such a spectacle...but it happens nonetheless. It is de facto communism. Funneling money to an elite group of people who have not earned the right to such resources. The quality of the product, and the energy invested through the collective unit has not earned that support. And to be clear...I love the team, the coaching staff, and feel bad for them when 90k show up to watch a team little better than Purdue. I can't imagine the pressure.
Sorry....I forgot...no one is suppose to have any opinion about this WONDERFUL coaching staff or this team in general without your prior approval.

When you are paying a staff $10 Mil per year they do need to do SOMETHING to actually earn that money. AT least in the world I am in everyone has to prove their worth for their pay. With that said....so far....nothing tangible has been shown by this staff. Judging from simple appearances...this team has regressed.

They certainly do have something to prove here. If you don't think they do...then why even bother having this new well paid staff at all when we could have just kept the previous one.

Reactions: American Horse

my favorite is when posters say “watch the tape” as coach-speak for “I DVR’d it”

The tape! Imagine taking yourself this seriously on a message board hahahaha

All this talk about firing coaches. That is the last thing we need to do. You give extensions and raises if they are good. We don't want coaches recruiting for a one year bump. I say make sure all the coaches have at least a 5 year contract so they can focus on recruiting for 5 years. Offer to pay their mortgages, car payments, etc during the football season so they don't spend a second worrying about money. Then you will see the wins coming. Nebraska makes over $40 million from the tv contract alone. Might as well make sure the coaches are comfortable.
Look at the bright side. If Frost is fired you can become FrostFoNotForever

my favorite is when posters say “watch the tape” as coach-speak for “I DVR’d it”

The tape! Imagine taking yourself this seriously on a message board hahahaha

That was enough to hurt your feelings? Get back to posting about Iowa when Nebraska is getting dominated.

We returned TWO of our worst linemen from last year AND are starting a walk on soph and a freshman center. That's a recipe for exactly the dish we're seeing.

Both Jaimes and Wilson earned end of the season honors last year. I am not buying what you are selling. It should be expected they would make improvements with the S&C program, a second year in the system and the same coach but they have not. Farniok was highly rated and had a nice list of offers, if he were being recruited this year this board would light up with his commitment. The fact you have the freshman and walk-on starting tells you that others did not develop more than they did. This is not rocket science but keep thinking otherwise as there has to be something to blame it all on - Bo or Mike, Cavs, Solich, surely someone else I am missing.

Reactions: oldjar07
Both Jaimes and Wilson earned end of the season honors last year. I am not buying what you are selling. It should be expected they would make improvements with the S&C program, a second year in the system and the same coach but they have not. Farniok was highly rated and had a nice list of offers, if he were being recruited this year this board would light up with his commitment. The fact you have the freshman and walk-on starting tells you that others did not develop more than they did. This is not rocket science but keep thinking otherwise as there has to be something to blame it all on - Bo or Mike, Cavs, Solich, surely someone else I am missing.

Before Farniok arrived, Dingle also told us that Farniok oozed potential and talent. Now he is a lame duck.

But, it probably has nothing to do with the fact that he’s been under two pretty suspect Oline coaches apparently. I’d venture to guess we will be talking about the same Oline issues in two years despite all the young “talent.”

Reactions: oldjar07
Before Farniok arrived, Dingle also told us that Farniok oozed potential and talent. Now he is a lame duck.

But, it probably has nothing to do with the fact that he’s been under two pretty suspect Oline coaches apparently. I’d venture to guess we will be talking about the same Oline issues in two years despite all the young “talent.”
Get Farniok outta the starting lineup

All this talk about firing coaches. That is the last thing we need to do. You give extensions and raises if they are good. We don't want coaches recruiting for a one year bump. I say make sure all the coaches have at least a 5 year contract so they can focus on recruiting for 5 years. Offer to pay their mortgages, car payments, etc during the football season so they don't spend a second worrying about money. Then you will see the wins coming. Nebraska makes over $40 million from the tv contract alone. Might as well make sure the coaches are comfortable.
Agree. I say give Frost a minimum of 5 yrs to turn this mess around. We're used to losing after two 4-8 seasons, and this one is looking bad too. We got nothing to lose. If he can't turn it around, nobody can.

Exactly unless changes are made it's just going to be the same old thing. Until the Oline coaching gets a lot better, we're going to continue to have promising recruits underperform or even regress in their time here. Austin was one of the assistant coaches I was most excited about coming in. However it's year 2 and our pathetic and historically bad O line is just as bad as it was when he got here. There's no good excuse for the performance of our line. Unless huge improvements are made in the next 5 weeks, I think we need to pull the plug on Austin otherwise I don't think things are going to get better.

We desperately need an Uncle Milt clone.

I can see us playing our next 3 games well and carrying that momentum to the end of season (meaning we play the good teams close-ish) and we instead of being happy to see progress people will find a way to be upset and say he will always start off crappy and get better by end of year etc..

This program is a MESS and it needs time and stability. We need to stick with Frost and be PATIENT.

Austin, DeWitt, and Chinander or Ruud would be my list. Two years of poor position group play in a row, you should be done imo.
I don't think Frost is going to fire anybody this year. I'd say give them another year, but it seems to me that we are dealing with a 3 headed monster problem.
1. Some players still have issues between the ears.
2. Many of our players just aren't good enough, whether they fit the scheme or not.
3. Technique seems to be a major issue on both lines.
Can this stuff be corrected? Of course, but Frost needs to realize all three problems. I think he just addressed issue one. I am not sure that our recruiting is going to fix all of number two, I hope I am wrong. I don't think he will admit to issue #3.

Frost has just under half of this season to really get things straightened out and headed in the right direction.

There have been very few cases in the last 10-15 years where a Power 5 coach didn't make a bowl game his first two seasons at a school and was able to turn it around and compete for a conference title, let alone win one. Really about the only instance where you saw that was Harbaugh at Stanford. Briles was close at Baylor, Ferentz at Iowa, MacIntyre at CU are a few that at least got to to title games, but could not get over the hump.

People keep talking about patience and give him some time, I understand that, but there is some hard fast evidence that says if it aint happening by year 2, it aint gonna happen. So if Frost can get to 6-6 get to a bowl and hopefully win the bowl there is some true momentum that he can build on and then take things to the next level. If not and he does turn things around, he will be the exception to the rule.

Reactions: bshirt73
Frost has just under half of this season to really get things straightened out and headed in the right direction.

There have been very few cases in the last 10-15 years where a Power 5 coach didn't make a bowl game his first two seasons at a school and was able to turn it around and compete for a conference title, let alone win one. Really about the only instance where you saw that was Harbaugh at Stanford. Briles was close at Baylor, Ferentz at Iowa, MacIntyre at CU are a few that at least got to to title games, but could not get over the hump.

People keep talking about patience and give him some time, I understand that, but there is some hard fast evidence that says if it aint happening by year 2, it aint gonna happen. So if Frost can get to 6-6 get to a bowl and hopefully win the bowl there is some true momentum that he can build on and then take things to the next level. If not and he does turn things around, he will be the exception to the rule.

Well, I really only care about us getting a bowl game for recruiting and the extended practice. My blind guess would be that it would be brutally tough getting some good recruits with yet another losing season.

It's downright rough sledding for HCSF now. We've got more big problems than Halls has pills. I don't have the foggiest idea what he can do to instantly turn things around. You know that as well as I do.

Well sir, I think there's a real good chance we'll just have to hope he'll hack being the exception to the rule. There's a real good chance that's the only option we'll have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT