ADVERTISEMENT

Frost?

Chuck003

Junior
Nov 6, 2016
Has he surrounded himself with a low-rent coaching staff? In this early stage of his Nebraska coaching career, it sure seems to be trending that way.

The coaches he has surrounded himself with are not low-rent coaches. That term implies that they are cheap and worthless. This coaching staff is NOT cheap (the worthless part is becoming more self-evident)...$10M per year is not a low-rent price for a coaching staff.

We were spoiled as a fan base...that is very evident. However, as a fan base that has traditionally really supported this program through all the lack-luster decisions and drama (and poor play).....it is natural that when we see a shit show....we are going to question that shit show. That is not what we have been told that we should be seeing (by Frost himself). (every time I hear Frost say "we had the best week of practice", I know a loss is on the way)

I have never said that Scott Frost was a terrible hire or not the RIGHT hire. The words "fire Frost" has never been part of anything. (All you Frost apologist always say that about anyone who is even remotely critical of him.)

All I really want is to see progress....typical progress. It seems that most programs when they fire poor coaching and hire someone else....there is a difference in year one...and a dramatic difference in year two. Both of those scenarios have not happened. (now you will blame it on talent....well evidently every other coach in America can at least coach-up the existing players to look respectable)

Yeah. I might be low-rent, but I am a realistic low-renter who is trying to find a reason that this team can't even compete against teams like Minnesota. Must be the huge talent gap.
Crybaby fans? Oh waaa boo hoo, my team played bad, fire everyone, I watch tons of football and I’m an expert. Same idiot fans would have been crying in Flecks first 2 years to fire everyone. Year 3 they tell their buddies they knew he’d be good lol.

Reactions: wkato and bshirt73
Crybaby fans? Oh waaa boo hoo, my team played bad, fire everyone, I watch tons of football and I’m an expert. Same idiot fans would have been crying in Flecks first 2 years to fire everyone. Year 3 they tell their buddies they knew he’d be good lol.
Fleck did fire his DC shortly after our game last year. The new DC somehow took a group of under-performers that Nebraska walked over last year and turned the tables.

Fleck did fire his DC shortly after our game last year. The new DC somehow took a group of under-performers that Nebraska walked over last year and turned the tables.

And now they have won 8 straight and more likely reach 10 in a row before they take on Penn St..

I know we need better talent on defense and some positions and maybe i’m old fashion but we have had this 3-4 defense for the 3rd year now and I don’t see this being a good defense going up against power running teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa..

I don’t know if SF himself realizes this yet..

Hopefully, during the bye week they can get some things figured out. I still think they can beat Indiana & Maryland & get to 6 wins & a bowl.

Taking away positives from this game. It was played in the cold. Anything can happen in that weather. Vedral looks really good and was dropping dimes. Defense played outstanding in the second half. We had a nice drive to score that TD. 4-3 is still a winning record.

Funny, Fleck fired his DC during the season last year. I wonder why? Since then they are 9-1. Instead we just have another “guyzzzz the process works” coach.

And now they have won 8 straight and more likely reach 10 in a row before they take on Penn St..

I know we need better talent on defense and some positions and maybe i’m old fashion but we have had this 3-4 defense for the 3rd year now and I don’t see this being a good defense going up against power running teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa..

Minnesota a power running team? How? They aren't under center and playing with 2 TEs or a Fullback. :D

Minnesota a power running team? How? They aren't under center and playing with 2 TEs or a Fullback. :D

Could have fooled me last night they powered up the middle all night long and you don’t have to have 2 TE and a QB under center now a days to be a power running team it’s how well you run between the tackles

Reactions: bshirt73
I just want to know where all the posters are that were saying the fans wouldn't be as critical of Frost as they were of Riley 2 years ago :p It will not be fun around here if we fail to make a bowl game and struggle again next year with no signs of progress.

Could have fooled me last night they powered up the middle all night long and you don’t have to have 2 TE and a QB under center now a days to be a power running team it’s how well you run between the tackles

I was using that big grin emoji to let people know that my comment was sarcasm.

Reactions: scarletred
I just want to know where all the posters are that were saying the fans wouldn't be as critical of Frost as they were of Riley 2 years ago :p It will not be fun around here if we fail to make a bowl game and struggle again next year with no signs of progress.

we fired Riley after 3 seasons after winning a total of 19 games including a 9 win season
It is questionable if Frost is going to match these lofty accomplishments

It was unimaginable at the time of the hire that Frost's 1st 3 years would mirror in any way Riley's 3 years but the 2 coaching tenures at NU are pretty much carbon copies thus far

despite all the noise concerning Frost it would be 1000 times worse if we would have hired a nonlegacy as head coach

All this talk about firing coaches. That is the last thing we need to do. You give extensions and raises if they are good. We don't want coaches recruiting for a one year bump. I say make sure all the coaches have at least a 5 year contract so they can focus on recruiting for 5 years. Offer to pay their mortgages, car payments, etc during the football season so they don't spend a second worrying about money. Then you will see the wins coming. Nebraska makes over $40 million from the tv contract alone. Might as well make sure the coaches are comfortable.

I didn’t say that. So you’re saying we have the same OL we had last year?

No, we have the same offensive line coach. We returned 3 starters. All 3 players have either regressed or are the same player as last year. Probably not a Greg Austin thing though. He played at Nebraska which makes him qualified.

Reactions: vs540husker
Frost has to become like these top tier coaches across the country. They get upset at their coaches when a offensive player or defender doesn’t do their job correctly like Nick Saban, Dabo
Swinney, and etc. You can’t be buddies with them when they’re in the game. For of the season we have left, if we don’t see any improvements, it’s time to make some coaching changes. D-coordinator, O-Line coach. Also a lot of people say we have to have a Nebraska guy because he understands the culture. Who cares, we need a guys that knows how to coach and win not understanding the people. That will come if we start to win.

Last edited:
All this talk about firing coaches. That is the last thing we need to do. You give extensions and raises if they are good. We don't want coaches recruiting for a one year bump. I say make sure all the coaches have at least a 5 year contract so they can focus on recruiting for 5 years. Offer to pay their mortgages, car payments, etc during the football season so they don't spend a second worrying about money. Then you will see the wins coming. Nebraska makes over $40 million from the tv contract alone. Might as well make sure the coaches are comfortable.
I think they are comfortable and should not have to worry about money:
Erik Chinander DC $800,000
Troy Walters OC $700,000
Greg Austin OL $475,000
Jovan Dewitt OLB/ST $475,000
Sean Beckton TE $400,000
Mario Verduzco QB $375,000
Travis Fisher DB $300,000
Ryan Held RB $300,000
Barrett Ruud ILB $200,000
Zach Duval S&C $375,000

Wow....this post absolutely amazed me......These guys are paid well and should be able to do their job without us offering to mow their lawn or shovel their drive way in the off season .

I would welcome the return of the 4-3 as well as establishing the run in the 1st quarter even if it starts slow. We are all over the place with our play calling and I'm almost certain most of our breakdowns come from shit just not working on offense. Hand the ball off early and often, at this point i dont even care if its working

I’m not here to talk trash. With that said, many of us UCF fans tried to tell you guys it would take more than two years to right the Nebraska ship. You need to give Frost a minimum of 3 but probably 4 years to change the culture that is Nebraska football. We also said to any Nebraska fan that would listen that Chinander is not the answer at DC. Frost, at the end of the season, probably needs to make some coaching changes. Which I am sure he will do. Give Frost the time necessary to build you a winner. He is a players coach and will get the job done.

He said the B1G was going to have to adjust to his style of play

Wisconsin runs the 3-4 and it works out just fine.

But, they also have a legit D Coordinator.

I think they are comfortable and should not have to worry about money:
Erik Chinander DC $800,000
Troy Walters OC $700,000
Greg Austin OL $475,000
Jovan Dewitt OLB/ST $475,000
Sean Beckton TE $400,000
Mario Verduzco QB $375,000
Travis Fisher DB $300,000
Ryan Held RB $300,000
Barrett Ruud ILB $200,000
Zach Duval S&C $375,000

Wow....this post absolutely amazed me......These guys are paid well and should be able to do their job without us offering to mow their lawn or shovel their drive way in the off season .

Simplistic way to look at it. I think they are in 1 year contracts. So the ones making $300k could be unemployed in one season with no buyout. 1 year unemployed and that salary drops to $150k over 2 years. Need to get longer contracts so they can coach for 5 years. They work like 16 hour days. They shouldn't have to worry about financial stuff in season. If they get fired, just means a buyout. No biggie...life goes on. Saban I think makes $9 million by the way.

It's amazing that an Iowa troll would choose to spend so much time posting on a Husker board.

No, we have the same offensive line coach. We returned 3 starters. All 3 players have either regressed or are the same player as last year. Probably not a Greg Austin thing though. He played at Nebraska which makes him qualified.
We returned TWO of our worst linemen from last year AND are starting a walk on soph and a freshman center. That's a recipe for exactly the dish we're seeing.

Reactions: Jimmy Frank
Thanks for the comment coach.

Dafuq? Fire their asses if they aren't getting it done. That's what real leaders do. If Frost is serious about getting us back to being a competitive team he needs to let go, Chinander, Walters, Austin, Ruud, and Verduzco this year.

And probably far better linebackers.

It’s called coaching. Wisconsin has been developing groups with worse ranked classes compared to Nebraska for years.

Put Chinander in Madison and all of a sudden they would look average. Of course, they would never hire him.

Reactions: oldjar07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT