ADVERTISEMENT

"Frost would most likely come if offered"

Coaching searches are different than hiring a plant manager or Head Accountant. Those hires have a salary in mind because they are casting a wide net. There are literally thousands of people across the country that could do those jobs. They want to eliminate as many candidates as possible. However, even in those cases, if the hiring manager calls you directly, he is going to have an idea on what you make, and your salary probably isn't publicly known. If he knows what you make, he isn't going to contact you and try to sell you on coming over for less money.

I can look up 95% of the head coaches contracts and can determine their exact compensation package. It is a colossal waste of time to call a coach making $4 million a year if I know I am only going to pay $3 million. Patterson had already turned down Minnesota, after the 2006 season, who were offering $2 million per year. If you contacted him knowing you weren't going to pay more than that then you really didn't have true interest.
I am confused time and again on this forum I have heard money will not buy us a top coach. Now you guys are saying Patterson was available but we were not willing to pay enough??

So if in fact money is an issue then we should be willing to pay whatever it takes this time around to try and fix this program

My third cousin's girlfriend's hairdresser told her that she saw Scott Frost

i know I would love to see him here. Should have hired him three years ago.
"But he was untested then! Too big of a risk!"
No bigger a risk than hiring a 61 year old coach nobody had heard of, coaching at a lousy school, who had never won anything of note, and whose career winning percentage hovered around 50%.
At the time it made lots of sense not to hire another first time head coach. Hiring Frost could definitely be seen as a bigger risk than Riley especially considering we just fired a first time head coach.

Also it's funny when people say they've never heard of Mike Riley. Not that he's a big name coach, but if you didn't know Riley then you don't pay attention to college football (which is fine), but just pretend you didn't know who he was doesn't mean most other people didn't in the college football world.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
In hindsight, Eichorst engaged in a true botch job. He fired a nine win coach and replaced him with a coach that showed no evidence of being able to consistently do the same. Given Pelini's behavior over his last couple of years at NU, he was practically begging to get fired. So Eichorst essentially had an entire year to get his ducks in a row, get some back and forth with agents, get the salary structure correct, and then move. The time might have been after the woodshedding at Camp Randall. Let Barney coach out the season. But of course, as horrific as that loss was, it was only our second of the season.
The truth of the matter was that Bo was going to get his haul of wins as long as we had Tommy at QB. If you were going to replace him, it had to be with a guy really proven to get the job done. And I get the feeling that maybe none were interested in the offer.
In that scenario, maybe Frost as the hometown favorite would have been the right call. At least he could have taken advantage of the player pieces we had on hand.

I am not defending Eichorst's decision. I am just telling you what I believe to be why he did what he did. It happens all the time in my line of work, if a popular boss leaves or is asked to leave, those in charge of hiring managers typically hire a manager with experience because the transition can be difficult. Pretty textbook stuff. Not that the textbook is always right.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
At the time it made lots of sense not to hire another first time head coach. Hiring Frost could definitely be seen as a bigger risk than Riley especially considering we just fired a first time head coach.

Also it's funny when people say they've never heard of Mike Riley. Not that he's a big name coach, but if you didn't know Riley then you don't pay attention to college football (which is fine), but just pretend you didn't know who he was doesn't mean most other people didn't in the college football world.
I don't know. I am pretty conversant on college football. And yet I did not know who he was. And most people I know who are big Husker fans did not know either. But maybe I just move in ignorant circles

Reactions: SDhusker12
In hindsight, Eichorst engaged in a true botch job. He fired a nine win coach and replaced him with a coach that showed no evidence of being able to consistently do the same. Given Pelini's behavior over his last couple of years at NU, he was practically begging to get fired. So Eichorst essentially had an entire year to get his ducks in a row, get some back and forth with agents, get the salary structure correct, and then move. The time might have been after the woodshedding at Camp Randall. Let Barney coach out the season. But of course, as horrific as that loss was, it was only our second of the season.
The truth of the matter was that Bo was going to get his haul of wins as long as we had Tommy at QB. If you were going to replace him, it had to be with a guy really proven to get the job done. And I get the feeling that maybe none were interested in the offer.
In that scenario, maybe Frost as the hometown favorite would have been the right call. At least he could have taken advantage of the player pieces we had on hand.

First Reactions. My first reaction on the news was "What, who, oh no! he's a loser, this has to be a joke." "Unbelievable I thought, Riley is not Dan Mullen or Gary Patterson. He has never won anything, Snyder at K State has done way better. Yeah he beat USC once but also loses to Eastern Washington."

However, many posters here helped convince me to hold out hope since Riley never had the resources and fan $ backing him before, and his NFL style offense will be cool and will help bring in recruits. Was excited to have a real QB coach at the helm and maybe he is also a good OC and play caller.

I don't know. I am pretty conversant on college football. And yet I did not know who he was. And most people I know who are big Husker fans did not know either. But maybe I just move in ignorant circles
Haha, I don't think it's a bad thing people didn't know Riley. I was surprised by the hire, but Riley wasn't a complete unknown to myself or people I hangout with.

To be fair, now that I'm thinking about it more, unless a coach had come off a very successful season most people probably wouldn't have known that coach. Example; if we would have hired Brohm 3 years ago I would've been like, who?

I am confused time and again on this forum I have heard money will not buy us a top coach. Now you guys are saying Patterson was available but we were not willing to pay enough??

So if in fact money is an issue then we should be willing to pay whatever it takes this time around to try and fix this program

I don't believe Patterson was involved in the process in 2007.

I also think you are confusing the issue. I will tell you what I believe to be the case. That way you won't be confused, at least from where I stand.

I do not believe that coaches take jobs just for the money. If we offered Tom Herman $7 million a year, he isn't taking the job just because we offered more than what Texas is paying.

I believe that those in charge of hiring football coaches know that it is going to take at least a 25-30% increase in pay for a coach to consider the job as Nebraska head football coach. They aren't contacting candidates that are already making more than they are wanting to pay. With that said, I don't think there is a true maximum salary. They will pay if the coach warrants a particular salary.

I do not believe that Nebraska will overpay just to say they are paying a coach X amount. If the coach isn't worth $5 million they won't pay him $5million.

I believe those in charge of hiring know exactly how much each of their targets make and how much it will cost to get them to Nebraska. As far as salary and compensation goes.

I do not believe the Nebraska job is all that attractive to the outside candidates because there is a history of firing coaches that win 70% of their games, win division titles and play for conference titles.

I believe that potential candidates respect Tom Osborne, but are also "fearful" of him because he appears to be involved in every decision that is made and the powers that be seek out his approval. Right, wrong or indifferent, he casts a long shadow. Which goes back to firing coaches that do not meet the standards he set.

Just a brief overview.

Haha, I don't think it's a bad thing people didn't know Riley. I was surprised by the hire, but Riley wasn't a complete unknown to myself or people I hangout with.

To be fair, now that I'm thinking about it more, unless a coach had come off a very successful season most people probably wouldn't have known that coach. Example; if we would have hired Brohm 3 years ago I would've been like, who?
Ha. Me either. Now Brohm is a hot ticket

Reactions: HuskerO
I do not believe the Nebraska job is all that attractive to the outside candidates because there is a history of firing coaches that win 70% of their games, win division titles and play for conference titles.

I believe that potential candidates respect Tom Osborne, but are also "fearful" of him because he appears to be involved in every decision that is made and the powers that be seek out his approval. Right, wrong or indifferent, he casts a long shadow. Which goes back to firing coaches that do not meet the standards he set.

Just a brief overview.
This

Only on the message boards was Patterson in play. You are telling me that Osborne interviewed three guys, 2 "internal" and Jim Grobe but Gary Patterson didn't get an interview?

Patterson was NOT in play 3 years ago... my uncle was on staff in the TCU football department. When Frankie was fired and Callahan hired he said he had no clue

I don't believe Patterson was involved in the process in 2007.

I also think you are confusing the issue. I will tell you what I believe to be the case. That way you won't be confused, at least from where I stand.

I do not believe that coaches take jobs just for the money. If we offered Tom Herman $7 million a year, he isn't taking the job just because we offered more than what Texas is paying.

I believe that those in charge of hiring football coaches know that it is going to take at least a 25-30% increase in pay for a coach to consider the job as Nebraska head football coach. They aren't contacting candidates that are already making more than they are wanting to pay. With that said, I don't think there is a true maximum salary. They will pay if the coach warrants a particular salary.

I do not believe that Nebraska will overpay just to say they are paying a coach X amount. If the coach isn't worth $5 million they won't pay him $5million.

I believe those in charge of hiring know exactly how much each of their targets make and how much it will cost to get them to Nebraska. As far as salary and compensation goes.

Just a brief overview.
I will tell you what I believe:

I believe Pederson screwed the pooch firing Solich and creating a divide in the fan base, This then backfired on him as coaches would not talk to him and we ended up with Callahan

I believe TO was cheap and when he went looking for a new coach we again did not step up and pay what was needed to attract a top level coach

I believe Eichorst did not really care about money but just wanted a nice guy to be the coach and please his boss, Perlman of course this has not worked either

I believe NU now after all these mistake is still a very good job but similar to many other P5 jobs. Nu if we want to get a decent coach we are going to have to pay through the nose for him

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRedLegion

I believe Pederson screwed the pooch firing Solich and creating a divide in the fan base, This then backfired on him as coaches would not talk to him and we ended up with Callahan

I believe TO was cheap and when he went looking for a new coach we again did not step up and pay what was needed to attract a top level coach

I believe Eichorst did not really care about money but just nice guy to be the coach and lease his boss Perlman of course this has not worked either

I believe NU now after all these mistake is still a very good job but similar to many other P5 jobs. Nu if we want to get a decent coach we are going to have to pay through the nose for him

I think both you and Tuco are right on different points.

I think you're absolutely right about the Pederson stuff; that guy was an absolute f-ing moron. I don't think he should have fired Solich, and while I still accept all of the criticisms of Solich as being fairly valid, that was a time when the fan base was totally united and we at least still were thought of as a machine-like, blue blood program that would curb-stomp most of our opponents en route to the major bowl games/NC game. It was after Solich was let go that we really spiraled out of control and into mediocrity.

TO himself is also to blame. Talk about absolutely abysmal succession planning. A small part of this isn't his fault; when you have a program that has the same head coach for 25 f-ing years, its not exactly easy to just replace that kind of personality/structural build. Solich and the program as it was then was at least an attempt to keep the program running in exactly the same way. This was interrupted and then completely botched by that idiot Pedersen, and then away we went.

Lastly, I think Frost comes here next year, or at the latest in 2019. He's from here, he's successful, he looks to be a good coach with a bit of that old Nebraska attitude, and despite the huge challenge of recruiting to Nebraska, emotional and sentimental ties run deep in college football. I think Frost has shown that he can recruit, he can coach, and if given the reigns of a program like ours, even if its a shell of its former self, he can really succeed.

Having said all of that, I really like Mike Riley, and I understand that he was brought here as an experiment that is best now looked at as respectable but a failure. I think it is now best to look at the Riley hire as a pallet-cleanser. Eichorst gambled in a sense, but I do think Tuco is 100% right about this: he wanted the anti-Pelini. A guy with a long track record as a head coach, who is regarded as the nicest guy in college football, mentally stable, and who could come in and at least lay the groundwork for a successful program again. Pelini, despite his winning record, was a sloppy head coach when it came to infrastructure and recruiting, and was way too volatile to have in the HC position. Riley has largely done all of that, but is proving unable to combine good vibes, good recruiting, and decent program build-out with a winning record.

Bring in the guy that will take that groundwork, advance it, recruit well, and WIN. It's looking more and more like that is going to be Scott Frost, and more power to him.

GBR!

What does a prospective coach need to weigh when looking at the NU job? The money should be right, but coaches will be looking at other things, such as consistent institutional support for the program and NU should be good there. The fact that the last 2 of 3 coaches NU fired had rather good results in the win/loss category and NU is now predicted to can it's coach after three seasons. So job security even if successful is an issue.

What does a prospective coach need to weigh when looking at the NU job? The money should be right, but coaches will be looking at other things, such as consistent institutional support for the program and NU should be good there. The fact that the last 2 of 3 coaches NU fired had rather good results in the win/loss category and NU is now predicted to can it's coach after three seasons. So job security even if successful is an issue.
We have not been firing coaches after 3 seasons and if Riley goes its because he had two losing seasons out of three and the way we lost games is really bad. No coach in the world is going to look at that and say we have unrealistic expectations. Solich I can see but that is long ago, Callahan was universally acknowledged as a bad fit. Pelini was a raving lunatic and no other P5 school is hiring him, also it is well known it was not his record that got him canned. I will say Eichorst made a mistake lying about it an d blaming his record for the firing he should have just said the real reasons.

NU does not have unrealistic expectations at this point in time

Add to the list; Doesn't give a coach 3-years (or more than 3 years).

I believe Eichorst did not really care about money but just wanted a nice guy to be the coach and please his boss, Perlman of course this has not worked either

What's going to interesting in the aftermath of this debacle is what Eichorst's next job will be.....

Add to the list; Doesn't give a coach 3-years (or more than 3 years).
There are people that flat out deny these are an issue and that they do not limit the pool of coaching candidates. I do not know the extent to which these are factors, but I do not deny they are factors. I think they probably act to place NU further down on the choice list for promising up and comers. The hiring of Moos probably mitigates things a bit as far as the "dump truck of money for a proven winner" pool of coaches, but I see that list as pretty short if not non-existent.
For a segment of the fanbase, the expectations start at a top 20 recruiting class this year and all following years, at least nine wins next year and a CCG either the next year or the year following. Failure to check all of these boxes after year three and your seat gets pretty warm.

The problem for Riley was the nonconference. He had to beat Oregon and NIU this year if he was going to be retained. In hindsight he needed to keep Banker around and let go of Cav. Bankers defense was pretty vanilla but he was accountable and actually blitzed once in awhile. Add those 2 wins and he likely gets to 7-5 with a chance at 8-5 in the bowl game. Obviously he lost both and his boss was canned, now he has a new AD with all of his incentives tied to football. Mike is 65, and his old job is open again. It will be best for all parties to move on.

The problem for Riley was the nonconference. He had to beat Oregon and NIU this year if he was going to be retained. In hindsight he needed to keep Banker around and let go of Cav. Bankers defense was pretty vanilla but he was accountable and actually blitzed once in awhile. Add those 2 wins and he likely gets to 7-5 with a chance at 8-5 in the bowl game. Obviously he lost both and his boss was canned, now he has a new AD with all of his incentives tied to football. Mike is 65, and his old job is open again. It will be best for all parties to move on.
We did not lose to NIU because of how the defense played, we lost because our offense scored more points for NIU then their offense scored for themselves

Reactions: headcard
I have been told that Frost doesn't want to come back here, and I don't blame him with the mess we are in and only giving our current coach 3 years to rebuild something that has fallen apart. better start looking for someone else. you know the old saying don't put all your eggs in one basket well that saying hasn't changed.

I have been told that Frost doesn't want to come back here, and I don't blame him with the mess we are in and only giving our current coach 3 years to rebuild something that has fallen apart. better start looking for someone else. you know the old saying don't put all your eggs in one basket well that saying hasn't changed.

What mess? We have had 9+ win seasons 8 of the last 9 years, every open position will have some issues. You don't think Ole Miss, Oregon State, Tennessee have issues? Heck UCF was 0-12 the year before he took over.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
I would imagine the folks involved with making these decisions know what Frost's intentions are. If MR is given severance, the list to replace him is not particularly long. Frost is very much a legit option, not just for the possible NU job but for other name openings as well.

I've watched a lot of cfb games the last couple of decades but I had no idea (or inclination to know) who the losing Beaver HC was.

Or more accurately:

Didn't give one coach more than 3 years.

One time.

Going back to the '40's.
3 years, 4 years, what's the difference? Callahan was trending up every year until year 4. He has that one bad year (he gets a bye obviously in his first year) and we can his ass. Same thing with Riley.

You're telling me these coaches aren't thinking, "I could improve year-over-year but if I have one bad year people will be calling for me to get fired and it will actually happen." I honestly believe Frost is the only candidate where Husker fans would give him 5+ years no matter how poorly he does in any given year (if he were to do poorly).

3 years, 4 years, what's the difference? Callahan was trending up every year until year 4. He has that one bad year (he gets a bye obviously in his first year) and we can his ass. Same thing with Riley.

You're telling me these coaches aren't thinking, "I could improve year-over-year but if I have one bad year people will be calling for me to get fired and it will actually happen." I honestly believe Frost is the only candidate where Husker fans would give him 5+ years no matter how poorly he does in any given year (if he were to do poorly).

At some point we are going to have to stick with a coach through a disappointing season, and not just in their first year. Notre Dame went 4-8 last year, I bet they are glad they stuck with their coach. You just don't have TO's that can come in and be a Top 10 team every year. Nothing wrong with expecting more than we are getting currently, but we will have to stick with a coach through tough times, at some point.

Buffalo isn't a Power 5 school. Buffalo's coach hasn't there for 10+ years.
I know, I know. But you get the point. We don't often know the names of head coaches at bottom feeder schools that have never been relevant. P5 or non P5. But kudos to you for apparently knowing the names of every single P5 coach in America. Not being sarcastic. I salute you sir!

Only on the message boards was Patterson in play. You are telling me that Osborne interviewed three guys, 2 "internal" and Jim Grobe but Gary Patterson didn't get an interview?
I don’t know whether he was “interviewed” or not but I know that he was in play and someone made a decision to go to Pelini.

I know, I know. But you get the point. We don't often know the names of head coaches at bottom feeder schools that have never been relevant. P5 or non P5. But kudos to you for apparently knowing the names of every single P5 coach in America. Not being sarcastic. I salute you sir!
None taken and I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all. I don't know all P5 coaches, but I try to follow cfb closely and when a coach has been with the same school for 5+ years I just tend to know who that coach is.

When I see, "Well I've never heard of Mike Riley and he was at the same school for 10 years, therefore he mustn't be any good." it makes me roll my eyes for some reason. And honestly your comment Pennsy didn't make me roll my eyes. It was bshirt73.

You have no idea what he wants.
None.
Stop acting like you do.

Did you know him and his wife are expecting a child?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT