ADVERTISEMENT

Frost Talks Transfer Portal

John_J_Rambo

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 10, 2020
E4C7wGNX0AIO6eT

Two McCaffrey brothers immediately attacked Frost on Twitter. They called him out by name and were very upset with Frost having said some of the transfers were receiving bad advice. Frost never mentioned Luke by name but the brothers assumed that is who Frost was referring to. They basically said Frost was hypocritical because he had transferred from Stanford.

Interesting how the McCaffreys were paying such close attention to everything Frost said and were waiting to immediately attack him even though he never mentioned the family by name. Must be some very hard feelings involved. Seems odd because Frost bent over backwards to give Luke his chance at QB when he was on the team. Must have been a bitter departing.

Ehhhh, I get why they called him out on twitter and I get why Frost (pretty much) called out Luke. I would have done the same exact thing, if I was the coach or the player.

Now, the idea of "Watch how a coach treats his players when they are no longer of use to him" is lame, what are coaches supposed to do, constantly help each player they have ever had, even when that player has left their team for another team.

This would be like your current boss doing all they can to look out for you, then, sort of out of nowhere, you decide to leave that company for what you think is a better gig and maybe it is.

Then you get mad when your old boss is upset that you left him in a bit of a bind and also for some reason feel like that old boss should still have your best interest (at all times) on his mind.

Reactions: timnsun
Two McCaffrey brothers immediately attacked Frost on Twitter. They called him out by name and were very upset with Frost having said some of the transfers were receiving bad advice. Frost never mentioned Luke by name but the brothers assumed that is who Frost was referring to. They basically said Frost was hypocritical because he had transferred from Stanford.

Interesting how the McCaffreys were paying such close attention to everything Frost said and were waiting to immediately attack him even though he never mentioned the family by name. Must be some very hard feelings involved. Seems odd because Frost bent over backwards to give Luke his chance at QB when he was on the team. Must have been a bitter departing.
I didn't take anything he said as directed at an individual player. He is correct about every player in the portal.

Wait until schools have very few scholarships available soon due to the free Covid year and all these kids are in the portal looking for schools with openings.

Yea SF transferred after 2 seasons at Stanford but he was moved to safety and wanted to play QB..

Now if SF told McCaffery we think you would be better suited playing slot receiver instead of QB and that’s why he transferred I could see why he transferred, but I don’ think SF mentioned that to him and not only did he transfer to Louisville he left because there realizing he wasn’t going to play QB their either…

SF transferring isn’t same as McCaffery leaving two teams..

They assumed he was talking about Luke because they shared a tweet the douchebag Mitch Sherman wrote. In that tweet Mitch brought up Luke's name and cut up the quote.

Basically he wanted to get clicks and based on his past tweets/articles, it seems like he's always looking for a way to paint the university and especially Frost in a bad light.

He's not wrong. Luke has been getting bad advice and shown poor decision making. His football career is hanging by a thread. Dude thought he'd stroll onto Louisville campus and be named the starter on day 1? Seriously lacking in critical thinking skills. He'll have regrets.

Luke McCaffrey aside, how many of the kids in the portal were “processed” by a coach, told you’re never gonna be any more than fourth string here you might want to find somewhere else to play. Half? As fans we applaud this move to process, because it’s a player we don’t want on the team. However when a player leaves on their own they are getting bad information. Why are there, on average, 10 kids per division one team in the portal?

Luke's callout aside...Frost's opinion is based on his belief that being 2/3 string or special teams-only player at NU for 4-5 years is a better situation than being a potential offensive or defensive starter at some place like Kent St. Not every player shares that view, and frankly, neither do I. You have 5 years left in your football career and then you'll never play football again for the rest of your life. Find a place you can get on the field consistently, which may not be the place you signed with out of high school. Just because you downgraded conferences or schools doesn't mean the transfer was bad advice.

Luke's callout aside...Frost's opinion is based on his belief that being 2/3 string or special teams-only player at NU for 4-5 years is a better situation than being a potential offensive or defensive starter at some place like Kent St. Not every player shares that view, and frankly, neither do I. You have 5 years left in your football career and then you'll never play football again for the rest of your life. Find a place you can get on the field consistently, which may not be the place you signed with out of high school. Just because you downgraded conferences or schools doesn't mean the transfer was bad advice.
He should have never opened his yap in the first place by referring to Luke as the “future to our program”..

Luke McCaffrey aside, how many of the kids in the portal were “processed” by a coach, told you’re never gonna be any more than fourth string here you might want to find somewhere else to play. Half? As fans we applaud this move to process, because it’s a player we don’t want on the team. However when a player leaves on their own they are getting bad information. Why are there, on average, 10 kids per division one team in the portal?
I think a lot of it is parents being delusional about their kids not being starters and not being great, so it must be the coaches fault. Therefore they want their kids to go somewhere else where they can play more or be used better. People can be way, way more delusional when it comes to their own kids, not so much with others kids.

"Nebraska or Alabama" - lol
funny frost talking about lesser programs. tyreke johnson transferred to a lesser program when he came to nebraska. im not sure there a ton of lesser programs than nebraska at this moment.
i agree with a lot of what he said but he has room to improve how he says it.
he's fooled a lot of recruits into thinking neb is a big program selling it this way though

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
IDK. SF seems to have done what a coach needs to (albeit without much success yet). Pump up the players on your roster. Build competition. Try to help them succeed within your program.

Once the player is no longer in your program, you stop speaking in specifics about them. Once LM left, he spoke in generalities that apply to many others as well. Such is the transfer portal.

Nebraska has gotten less out of 4-star recruits than anywhere else in the country in the last 4 years. Guys come here to Lincoln and disappear or transfer and then our record reflects it.

So while what he said was kind of true.....he's talking out of BOTH sides of his neck.

plus when you take a 4 star kid or a kid from Florida that might not fit the culture and he leaves now you have to recruit someone else next year and then red shirt and develop them for year and then hope they contribute the next year so you set the program back 3 years by missing on kids

At the end of the day, he quit on two teams in less than 6 months. It shows his character. No FBS, FCS or NFL team wants a teammate like that ever. So guess what, he will have to work even harder to stay on a team. Put your head down, work your butt off and learn something along the way.

I didn't take anything he said as directed at an individual player. He is correct about every player in the portal.
Frost specifically mentioned one player that has already transferred again after transferring from Nebraska. Are there other players that have transferred twice recently besides McCaffrey? If not - sure looks like he’s referencing Luke.

With Frost, less talk is more….but he just can’t seem to get that figured out.

Nebraska has gotten less out of 4-star recruits than anywhere else in the country in the last 4 years. Guys come here to Lincoln and disappear or transfer and then our record reflects it.

So while what he said was kind of true.....he's talking out of BOTH sides of his neck.

In the past 8-10 years I would agree but I still think the Jury is out on Frost as it relates to four stars. Defensively Chins will have 6 of his top twenty players as four stars but we have also recruited a lot less defensive four stars and he has had a couple of lower level players way out perform star rankings (CTB and Reimers) impacting four stars getting on field at those positions. I would definitely like to see that percentage of recruited/playing four stars go up on defense assuming that staff peforms and keeps there job.

Offensively is where things get interesting for 2021. Assuming no injuries, I believe 18 players will get meaningfull snaps of which 17 where rated recruits with Toure being a Graduate Transfer. If you exclude Toure (who would easily be a four star if they rated transfers) 9 of Nebraska top 17 offensive players are four stars with three elite prospects of 5.9 or better (would have been a fourth with Fidone). On offense this is above that 50% threshold noted on chart for teams that can win a natty and would have been 60% if Fidone was not injured and you count Toure who many think may have been drafted late had he declared. The on paper recruited talent that will play when game are on line in 2021 is vastly better than anything Frost has had or anything we have seen an Nebraska in more than ten years. I will take it a step further and say rivals rated talent NU that will play in 2021 on offense is better than any team in the West has had in the last ten years.

To make a point about the stunning increase in production I expect at WR I will make a prediction. In 2020 Warner and Faulk started the season as our 1's at WR and had 162 yards receiving over 8 games. I would almost guarantee you that between Manning and Toure there are multiple games where one of those guys has 162+. There was in 2018 and Manning and Toure are on a whole different level athletically than Morgan and Spielmman.

I fully accept that Frost might suck despite what he did at Oregon and UCF based on some of the poor play and that all these players may be no good. But, anyone who isn't a little big excited by the guys we will see playing in 2021 on offense also sucks, in my humble opinion.

Frost specifically mentioned one player that has already transferred again after transferring from Nebraska. Are there other players that have transferred twice recently besides McCaffrey? If not - sure looks like he’s referencing Luke.

I think we are referring to 2 parts of his answer. You are correct on the part your talking about. Had to be Luke M.

funny frost talking about lesser programs. tyreke johnson transferred to a lesser program when he came to nebraska. im not sure there a ton of lesser programs than nebraska at this moment.
i agree with a lot of what he said but he has room to improve how he says it.
he's fooled a lot of recruits into thinking neb is a big program selling it this way though
Geez, well now there you go again

Reactions: timnsun
I think a lot of it is parents being delusional about their kids not being starters and not being great, so it must be the coaches fault. Therefore they want their kids to go somewhere else where they can play more or be used better. People can be way, way more delusional when it comes to their own kids, not so much with others kids.
Parents are usually the driving force behind these decisions. I would say the reason kids decide to walk on at Nebraska and never see the field, when they could have went somewhere smaller and played is influenced by their parents being Nebraska fans, thus they became one.

The amount of time these kids put into playing sports is significant, some kids want to actually play and some kids are content with being the 6th string OLB that got to play 4 snaps in 5 years. You never hear about the ones that are content being the 6th stringer after they announce their intent to walk on at Nebraska and on signing day when the school puts out the list of all the walk ons so the media can get it in the local newspapers. They become after thoughts and are only discussed in generalities when someone brings up the walk on program and how we need those guys. Again there is nothing wrong with that, I, personally, don't understand putting in all the work from 10 years old to go somewhere where you will never play, but it isn't my choice. So when a kid, that actually wants to play, leaves because he isn't going to get the chance at Nebraska, so be it, it isn't my choice.

My biggest issue with the Frost comments is that he didn't need to bring up the situation of the player that left here and is already gone somewhere else. The question he answered was simply about the transfer portal. Are there a lot of kids in the portal, yes. At some point, as the head football coach at Nebraska, you don't have to be smug and passive aggressive because a kid didn't want to play for you anymore. Who cares if you think he got bad advice? The McCaffrey's made a decision, then made another. Time to move on.

The other thing that is a bit sanctimonious, is the number of kids in the portal. There are only so many scholarship spots on FBS football teams, 11,050 to be exact. There just isn't room for everyone to be on scholarship. This transfer thing has been going on for years, if not decades, and is only public knowledge now because of the creation of the portal. Kids used to leave programs all of the time, they would go into the coach's office, ask for their release, and be out the door. Sometimes the coach would put restrictions on it, most of the time, they granted the release and the player was gone. If the player wasn't a starter or contributor, we may have never known they left. Now the players don't need to ask for the release, but since there is a portal now, there is a record of it.

In the past 8-10 years I would agree but I still think the Jury is out on Frost as it relates to four stars. Defensively Chins will have 6 of his top twenty players as four stars but we have also recruited a lot less defensive four stars and he has had a couple of lower level players way out perform star rankings (CTB and Reimers) impacting four stars getting on field at those positions. I would definitely like to see that percentage of recruited/playing four stars go up on defense assuming that staff peforms and keeps there job.

Offensively is where things get interesting for 2021. Assuming no injuries, I believe 18 players will get meaningfull snaps of which 17 where rated recruits with Toure being a Graduate Transfer. If you exclude Toure (who would easily be a four star if they rated transfers) 9 of Nebraska top 17 offensive players are four stars with three elite prospects of 5.9 or better (would have been a fourth with Fidone). On offense this is above that 50% threshold noted on chart for teams that can win a natty and would have been 60% if Fidone was not injured and you count Toure who many think may have been drafted late had he declared. The on paper recruited talent that will play when game are on line in 2021 is vastly better than anything Frost has had or anything we have seen an Nebraska in more than ten years. I will take it a step further and say rivals rated talent NU that will play in 2021 on offense is better than any team in the West has had in the last ten years.

To make a point about the stunning increase in production I expect at WR I will make a prediction. In 2020 Warner and Faulk started the season as our 1's at WR and had 162 yards receiving over 8 games. I would almost guarantee you that between Manning and Toure there are multiple games where one of those guys has 162+. There was in 2018 and Manning and Toure are on a whole different level athletically than Morgan and Spielmman.

I fully accept that Frost might suck despite what he did at Oregon and UCF based on some of the poor play and that all these players may be no good. But, anyone who isn't a little big excited by the guys we will see playing in 2021 on offense also sucks, in my humble opinion.
That is a lot of info to digest.

Parents are usually the driving force behind these decisions. I would say the reason kids decide to walk on at Nebraska and never see the field, when they could have went somewhere smaller and played is influenced by their parents being Nebraska fans, thus they became one.

The amount of time these kids put into playing sports is significant, some kids want to actually play and some kids are content with being the 6th string OLB that got to play 4 snaps in 5 years. You never hear about the ones that are content being the 6th stringer after they announce their intent to walk on at Nebraska and on signing day when the school puts out the list of all the walk ons so the media can get it in the local newspapers. They become after thoughts and are only discussed in generalities when someone brings up the walk on program and how we need those guys. Again there is nothing wrong with that, I, personally, don't understand putting in all the work from 10 years old to go somewhere where you will never play, but it isn't my choice. So when a kid, that actually wants to play, leaves because he isn't going to get the chance at Nebraska, so be it, it isn't my choice.

My biggest issue with the Frost comments is that he didn't need to bring up the situation of the player that left here and is already gone somewhere else. The question he answered was simply about the transfer portal. Are there a lot of kids in the portal, yes. At some point, as the head football coach at Nebraska, you don't have to be smug and passive aggressive because a kid didn't want to play for you anymore. Who cares if you think he got bad advice? The McCaffrey's made a decision, then made another. Time to move on.

The other thing that is a bit sanctimonious, is the number of kids in the portal. There are only so many scholarship spots on FBS football teams, 11,050 to be exact. There just isn't room for everyone to be on scholarship. This transfer thing has been going on for years, if not decades, and is only public knowledge now because of the creation of the portal. Kids used to leave programs all of the time, they would go into the coach's office, ask for their release, and be out the door. Sometimes the coach would put restrictions on it, most of the time, they granted the release and the player was gone. If the player wasn't a starter or contributor, we may have never known they left. Now the players don't need to ask for the release, but since there is a portal now, there is a record of it.
Agree with this. Parents are huge in this aspect. Also there is a pretty big burnout factor that gets a lot of these kids. I have a family member who was a pretty prominent Husker during his time as well went on to a nice career in the league. He would talk about how just generally burnt out he was. Much like most athletes since the 7th grade you really have no break. Football, followed immediately by basketball or wrestling, followed immediately by Track and baseball and then baseball all summer. Also you have lifting, school etc to tack on to this. By the time a lot of these kids get to college they are fried and burnt out and it takes a ton of inner motivation to continue to push yourself to that elite level.

Agree with this. Parents are huge in this aspect. Also there is a pretty big burnout factor that gets a lot of these kids. I have a family member who was a pretty prominent Husker during his time as well went on to a nice career in the league. He would talk about how just generally burnt out he was. Much like most athletes since the 7th grade you really have no break. Football, followed immediately by basketball or wrestling, followed immediately by Track and baseball and then baseball all summer. Also you have lifting, school etc to tack on to this. By the time a lot of these kids get to college they are fried and burnt out and it takes a ton of inner motivation to continue to push yourself to that elite level.
This is why a lot of players are okay with not playing but being on the team.

I had a friend that made it as a walk-on, when he was done he said he hated almost all of it after his second year but just stuck with it to say he was on the team and use it later on in life. I have no problem with that at all.

pretty sure that linebacker transferred twice now also

Reactions: BleedRed78
someone could start up a team with these guys. call themselves the "Transfers". get their degrees online. just play in stadiums the home schools are "away" that weekend. fund themselves with go fund me. different colors every week.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
He should have never opened his yap in the first place by referring to Luke as the “future to our program”..
Or opened his yap around Mitch Sherman. Don’t talk any substance if he is there. It will get twisted

Note. Don’t recruit from famous families. (McCaffrey, Cryshawn Johnson, warner, Craig James kid) . They gonna protect like a mama bear the minute something wrong and then you under the bus nationwide as they use their influence

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT