ADVERTISEMENT

Frost still can't catch breaks, and I'm still with him

Dec 21, 2020
I'm still pro-Frost deal with it. I still say he needs more time. I know eventually you have to just WIN and stop making EXCUSES, but dang it this coach has been snake bit.

2018: Opener cancelled. Dealt with pesky CU team with dirty play that injured Amart. No momentum with empty cupboard.
2019: A lot of self-inflicted errors, but I still buy excuse of empty cupboard and attitude adjustment in Year 2.
2020: COVID. Open with OSU. Another cancellation. A lot of self-inflicted errors and no room to build any momentum. Locker room issue with some high-profile players.
2021: Open against new coaching staff with a ton of 6-year seniors, and injuring their starting QB might've actually worked against Huskers.

Now add one more to the list. Coming into the year, MSU was supposed to be a tune-up game heading into the meat of conference play. But as his luck would have it, Sparty is now considered one of the better teams in the conference.

Yes the self-inflicted plays, inability to recruit right guys, sticking with a struggling QB (which may finally be paying off) are all on the staff. But Frost has had NO FAVORS to start his career at Nebraska. Add in the fact that he's had to learn a lot as well on the job. I think HCSF has been humbled and he's a much better coach for that now. He's still the right guy to lead us back, just be patient! We're all pissed at special teams against OU, but look at the bright side, we're only pissed about special teams! He'll get to it, he's had to establish Offense and Defense and Culture. Special Teams is coming, but it's a large rebuilding process. Remember it was 99% buy-in when HCSF was hired. He can still be the coach we all thought he could be. Zoom out and don't be a prisoner of the moment. Even if this turns out to be another tough year, he WILL catch some breaks down the line and the success WILL come!

One excuse for losing after another. You think Frost is the only coach who has had to deal with adversity? This is year four. This is HIS team. And he lost the opener to the worst team in the conference and one of the worst P5 teams in the whole country. Mel Tucker has MSU humming in a short period of time. And yet in year four we are still supposed to be playing tiny violins of compassion for poor ol’ snake bitten Frost.

Frost needs to win. Now. No Husker coach can have four losing seasons in a row and survive. He needs more time? To do what exactly? Have five losing seasons in a row?

One excuse for losing after another. You think Frost is the only coach who has had to deal with adversity? This is year four. This is HIS team. And he lost the opener to the worst team in the conference and one of the worst P5 teams in the whole country. Mel Tucker has MSU humming in a short period of time. And yet in year four we are still supposed to be playing tiny violins of compassion for poor ol’ snake bitten Frost.

Frost needs to win. Now. No Husker coach can have four losing seasons in a row and survive. He needs more time? To do what exactly? Have five losing seasons in a row?
Yes, everyone has adversity, but a COVID year is 10x more damning for a school like Nebraska, vs say an Ohio State or Wisconsin where they already had well-established culture and recruiting practices.

Yes, this is his team and they lost to a bad Illinois program. It's hard to forgive that one, but I think they put way too much pressure on themselves for that game, a learning experience.

By the end of this year I think we'll be able to say there was tangible improvement. Heck we've already seen it in the OU game. I'd give him 2 more years. If we're still not in the running for a conference title then sure move on.

I’m not sure it’s an inability to get the right guys. I think is more an inability to coach and mold them into the right guys.
Defensively they're doing well I think, aside from getting the right pass rusher. But I could agree with this for offense. Manning and Betts need more touches, but you need an o-line and QB first, and we're not quite there yet.

Defensively they're doing well I think, aside from getting the right pass rusher. But I could agree with this for offense. Manning and Betts need more touches, but you need an o-line and QB first, and we're not quite there yet.
Agree on the defensive side, although we will learn a lot next year, as we have a lot of seniors this year.

I think, and have been fairly vocal about it, that our offensive line is on par with our special teams. Flat out horrible (outside of jurgens) They are holding the entire offense back. Adrian has generally done well with time. His bad decisions come when he is under heavy pressure and trying to force plays.

Yes, everyone has adversity, but a COVID year is 10x more damning for a school like Nebraska, vs say an Ohio State or Wisconsin where they already had well-established culture and recruiting practices.

Yes, this is his team and they lost to a bad Illinois program. It's hard to forgive that one, but I think they put way too much pressure on themselves for that game, a learning experience.

By the end of this year I think we'll be able to say there was tangible improvement. Heck we've already seen it in the OU game. I'd give him 2 more years. If we're still not in the running for a conference title then sure move on.
2 more years even if he has another losing season this year? Not gonna happen. If he has a losing season this year Alberts will have no choice but to fire him. And rightly so.

There might be some merit to some of your points, but the 2021 Illinois excuses are laughable.

When our staff is new, you use it as an excuse that they need time. But when the opponent’s staff is new, you use it as an excuse that they’re hard to prepare for. And then you claim losing a decent QB in Brandon Peters actually helped them? No chance, man.

I’m not even disagreeing that they need more time. If they get to a bowl I say give him another shot. But there’s still no excuse for losing to Illinois. You see how they fared the following two weeks? Staff knew that game was massive for the program and they still flopped hard.

Last edited:

No college football coach survives after 4 losing seasons in their first 4 years. Especially in a Power 5 conference, and at a program with lots of tradition and resources. Frost needs to make a bowl game this year.

No college football coach survives after 4 losing seasons in their first 4 years. Especially in a Power 5 conference, and at a program with lots of tradition and resources. Frost needs to make a bowl game this year.
Exactly. This is Nebraska. Not Kansas or Rutgers. 4 losing seasons in a row and he is gone. My hunch is we win one or two more games and go 4-8. Beat Purdue and Northwestern (maybe). But without a running game and with a defense that is soft against the run, we have little hope of a bowl. Michigan State game will tell us a lot. If we can shut down their running game and avoid turnovers/special teams blunders, then we have a very good chance of winning. But my head says MSU will be able to run effectively against our soft defensive line.

Frost will not survive this season if we lose to MSU in my opinion.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
I'm still pro-Frost deal with it. I still say he needs more time. I know eventually you have to just WIN and stop making EXCUSES, but dang it this coach has been snake bit.

2018: Opener cancelled. Dealt with pesky CU team with dirty play that injured Amart. No momentum with empty cupboard.
2019: A lot of self-inflicted errors, but I still buy excuse of empty cupboard and attitude adjustment in Year 2.
2020: COVID. Open with OSU. Another cancellation. A lot of self-inflicted errors and no room to build any momentum. Locker room issue with some high-profile players.
2021: Open against new coaching staff with a ton of 6-year seniors, and injuring their starting QB might've actually worked against Huskers.

Now add one more to the list. Coming into the year, MSU was supposed to be a tune-up game heading into the meat of conference play. But as his luck would have it, Sparty is now considered one of the better teams in the conference.

Yes the self-inflicted plays, inability to recruit right guys, sticking with a struggling QB (which may finally be paying off) are all on the staff. But Frost has had NO FAVORS to start his career at Nebraska. Add in the fact that he's had to learn a lot as well on the job. I think HCSF has been humbled and he's a much better coach for that now. He's still the right guy to lead us back, just be patient! We're all pissed at special teams against OU, but look at the bright side, we're only pissed about special teams! He'll get to it, he's had to establish Offense and Defense and Culture. Special Teams is coming, but it's a large rebuilding process. Remember it was 99% buy-in when HCSF was hired. He can still be the coach we all thought he could be. Zoom out and don't be a prisoner of the moment. Even if this turns out to be another tough year, he WILL catch some breaks down the line and the success WILL come!
So how many more years do you give him to have a winning season ?

Exactly. This is Nebraska. Not Kansas or Rutgers. 4 losing seasons in a row and he is gone. My hunch is we win one or two more games and go 4-8. Beat Purdue and Northwestern (maybe). But without a running game and with a defense that is soft against the run, we have little hope of a bowl. Michigan State game will tell us a lot. If we can shut down their running game and avoid turnovers/special teams blunders, then we have a very good chance of winning. But my head says MSU will be able to run effectively against our soft defensive line.

This is a must win if they want to make a bowl, then you have possibly wins against nw Purdue Minnesota. If they lose this weekend then they have to look at beating Iowa, Michigan, Ohio st or Wisconsin which is a way tougher road to a bowl game, but we heard Illinois was a must win and we all know the outcome to that debacle

Where should I mail the Excuse National Championship trophy too?

EVERY school had to deal with COVID-19. Every. School.

In a way I agree with you. After the loss to Illinois I was “done” with Frost and ready to move on. And in a way I’m still there. But after the OU game I got to thinking about it.

Frost is a young head coach. He’s had 6 years of total HC experience and 4 of those 6 are at NU. IMO he was hired here thinking he had the experience to win and win early. Clearly that’s not the case. IMO he has to grow into his HC role, and he’s doing it here at NU. I know, there’s Lincoln Riley and Luke Fickle etc who took over programs and just kept winning so it shouldn’t take Frost this long to get it figured out, but it is. And I would argue those guys didn’t take over complete rebuilds. We may not have wanted a work in progress coach, but thats what we got. And IMO, he should and will get a few more years to grow into this position. IMO this year is not quite make or break, next year very well could be.

I guess where I really land is, who do we go after? Most will disagree with me, hell a few years ago I would have disagreed with me. It NU is not the head coaching gig it once was. We’ve fired two 9 win head coaches and are going to send the prodigal son packing…. And we’re going to draw a big name to NU??? So who do we get? Luke Fickel? Why? Mainly because with a jump to the Big 12 why would he leave Cincy for NU? He’s going to be a P5 coach in conference that he can walk into day one and compete? Why come to NU?

Matt Campbell? LOL. Not happening.

the next up and coming G5 stud? Been there done that.

so who?

The point is I’m as frustrated as any other Husker, and on some level I think Frost has to go. But for what? We’ve been on the coaching carousel for 20 years. There’s no guarantee. I guess I’ve seen just enough from last week to think maybe we can turn the corner, and if we let Frost have a few years he just might get it figured out.

that said, I will be watching closely on Saturday. If we play like we did last Saturday it should be a W. I want to see AM make good decisions again. I want to see a commitment to the run and a “stick with it” mentality even when it may be tempting to go to the air. I want to see the D play at the same level/intensity. Hell, I want to see us defer again if we win the toss. I want to see another solid performance from the receivers. I want to see more progression from the OL. Give me that and I’ll still say Frost may be starting to get it. More of the Illinois fiasco, and you very well may be right.

So now MSU is one of the better teams? I assume they have a coach that has coached over 4 years.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

I don't care that you're pro-Frost, kudos to you. But I'm glad that your viewpoint that we can keep making excuses and not having any sort of consequences for below standard results is now in the minority.

There might be some merit to some of your points, but the 2021 Illinois excuses are laughable.

When our staff is new, you use it as an excuse that they need time. But when the opponent’s staff is new, you use it as an excuse that they’re hard to prepare for. And then you claim losing a decent QB in Brandon Peters actually helped them? No chance, man.

I’m not even disagreeing that they need more time. If they get to a bowl I say give him another shot. But there’s still no excuse for losing to Illinois. You see how they fared the following two weeks? Staff knew that game was massive for the program and they still flopped hard.
I don’t disagree that Illinois was an epic flop. Needed that W. It was a new coaching staff. But a team with 20+ super seniors and a team that boat raced us a year ago, that makes a difference. We got in our own heads I think. Look at Iowa St last year though week 1 compared to how they finished. It can happen.

• Wow
Reactions: Cornfield
So how are we worse off than Sparty - you know that team that is now one of the toughest - as you say?
Probably not worse off. Quite impressive what they’ve done. But I didn’t say no one is doing better than Frost right now. Sure I wish our timetable was quicker but it is what it is. I think HCSF can get us there is all I’m saying.

Reactions: bshirt73
I don’t disagree that Illinois was an epic flop. Needed that W. It was a new coaching staff. But a team with 20+ super seniors and a team that boat raced us a year ago, that makes a difference. We got in our own heads I think. Look at Iowa St last year though week 1 compared to how they finished. It can happen.
Yes, it can happen. But if what happens is a fourth straight losing season under Frost, the talent level will only get worse due to a poor recruiting class and probable transfers.

I said it before, that if we get the OL, PK and penalty issues resolved and the downhill running game going we will run roughshot over this conference as at that point this year there won't be a team good enough to beat us including the not so mighty 2021 version of Bucky as they are a far cry from the teams that have been fielded by them the last 6 years before this one. We literaaly have enough talent to beat every team in this conference.

One thing I stated before the OU game last weekend that hasn't even been brought up once this year is the speed of this team on both sides of the ball and I said people were gonna see just how fast this team is on both sides of the ball. I said more than likely we would be comparable or equal to OU in speed on both sides of the ball and we proved we were equal to their speed. Now the caveot to this whole thing, there isn't a team in this conference including tOSU, Michigan or Penn St that has anywhere near the team speed of OU so what does that say about us? It says we are the fastest team on both sides of the ball in the B1G. Not only that, we are the 2nd largest in team size in the B1G right behind Minnesota and by not much at all as it's on their OL as we have the largest DL in the B1G. Our overall size is 6'4 1/4 avg.

Frost has got the size, strength, power and speed that he wants, it's just eliminating the issues that have plagued us most importantly this year. I'l just say that with even a halfway fixed OL and good, not great running attack and Culp finds his accuracy again we will absolutely blow out Sparty this weekend.

I said it before, that if we get the OL, PK and penalty issues resolved and the downhill running game going we will run roughshot over this conference as at that point this year there won't be a team good enough to beat us including the not so mighty 2021 version of Bucky as they are a far cry from the teams that have been fielded by them the last 6 years before this one. We literaaly have enough talent to beat every team in this conference.

One thing I stated before the OU game last weekend that hasn't even been brought up once this year is the speed of this team on both sides of the ball and I said people were gonna see just how fast this team is on both sides of the ball. I said more than likely we would be comparable or equal to OU in speed on both sides of the ball and we proved we were equal to their speed. Now the caveot to this whole thing, there isn't a team in this conference including tOSU, Michigan or Penn St that has anywhere near the team speed of OU so what does that say about us? It says we are the fastest team on both sides of the ball in the B1G. Not only that, we are the 2nd largest in team size in the B1G right behind Minnesota and by not much at all as it's on their OL as we have the largest DL in the B1G. Our overall size is 6'4 1/4 avg.

Frost has got the size, strength, power and speed that he wants, it's just eliminating the issues that have plagued us most importantly this year. I'l just say that with even a halfway fixed OL and good, not great running attack and Culp finds his accuracy again we will absolutely blow out Sparty this weekend.
That word "if" has been worn out the last 3+ years. So far, in year 4, it is not happening. What makes everyone think the OL play is all the sudden going to be magical. It "should" get better because if experience alone, but there is obviously something missing with that group.

You seriously think we have that much speed? There are a lot of talking heads who would disagree with you.

That word "if" has been worn out the last 3+ years. So far, in year 4, it is not happening. What makes everyone think the OL play is all the sudden going to be magical. It "should" get better because if experience alone, but there is obviously something missing with that group.

You seriously think we have that much speed? There are a lot of talking heads who would disagree with you.
All you had to do was watch the game Saturday as it was more than evident that we possessed equal speed on both sides of the ball. Like I stated in a thread before the game, I stated that we would either slow their offense down or shut it down which we did. Power and speed is what it takes to shut down an extremely explosive passing attack and it made Rattler and their passing game look like fools. Hell their 5* receivers got shut down by press man coverage and the only way you can accomplish that is with equal speed. We also played Zone as well.

Last edited:
A lot of triggered folks it looks like. Success doesn’t come out of thin air. Yea MSU is flavor of the week right now bc they hit paydirt with that RB, but is it sustainable? How many times you want to hit the reset button? If the boys keep the right attitude and keep supporting HCSF, results will show.

• Haha
Reactions: kakdawg
Sorry OP, but too many Husker fans (like you) are in love with the player Frost was and therefore can’t come to grips with the simple fact that he’s done a terrible job and should be fired. It’s time to end this debacle and now.

A lot of triggered folks it looks like. Success doesn’t come out of thin air. Yea MSU is flavor of the week right now bc they hit paydirt with that RB, but is it sustainable? How many times you want to hit the reset button? If the boys keep the right attitude and keep supporting HCSF, results will show.
Running backs don’t win football games. It’s one of the least impactful positions in football because the difference between an elite one and an average one is small. Offensive lines (and obviously QBs) win football games, at least as far as offenses go.

Point being, although I haven’t watched a minute of MSU this year, I guarantee you they aren’t playing this well just because they hit paydirt with a running back.

Running backs don’t win football games. It’s one of the least impactful positions in football because the difference between an elite one and an average one is small. Offensive lines (and obviously QBs) win football games, at least as far as offenses go.

Point being, although I haven’t watched a minute of MSU this year, I guarantee you they aren’t playing this well just because they hit paydirt with a running back.
Lol yea and Bo easily would’ve gotten to 9 wins without Ameer sure sure

A reasonable excuse for a team that came into a season flying high with big expectations. Yeah, I can understand that kind of team flopping in the first game. Similar to our near loss to a horrendous South Alabama team in 2019. Or like the Iowa State team you mention.

But a team with a staff who knows they’re in trouble (or close to it), has underperformed for three straight years, and knows the game against a very weak opponent is massive? That’s just not excusable.

Lol yea and Bo easily would’ve gotten to 9 wins without Ameer sure sure
Didn’t say an elite RB is meaningless. They’re helpful. I’ll take one any day. But I highly doubt that’s all this MSU team has going for them right now. Blocking has more to do with an RBs success than the RB himself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT