ADVERTISEMENT

Frost still can't catch breaks, and I'm still with him

No doubt they haven’t gotten many good bounces in his tenure, but there is one common denominator throughout the entirety of the bad bounces. He is running the show, therefore, success or the lack there of, falls in his lap regardless of the optics surrounding the failings.

My optimistic view is that he was needed to be humbled to get NU where he wanted to get when he got here. Hopefully the progress we've seen the last few weeks improve and we can get some solid wins this year. I think the style of play he's converting to can win some division titles.

All you had to do was watch the game Saturday as it was more than evident that we possessed equal speed on both sides of the ball. Like I stated in a thread before the game, I stated that we would either slow their offense down or shut it down which we did. Power and speed is what it takes to shut down an extremely explosive passing attack and it made Rattler and their passing game look like fools. Hell their 5* receivers got shut down by press man coverage and the only way you can accomplish that is with equal speed. We also played Zone as well.
I just finished watching the first quarter and there is 7 minutes left in the second. There is absolutely no way we have the same overall speed. Just watch their LBs come up or their back make a cut on our LBS.

Reactions: dinglefritz
And you know his viewpoint is in the minority..........how?

Your agenda is showing, again.
The OP's comment has 2 likes. The 3rd post exhibiting a contrary opinion to the OP has 14 likes. That's a pretty clear indication that the OP's viewpoint is in the minority, and that's not the only data point showing this.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
I just finished watching the first quarter and there is 7 minutes left in the second. There is absolutely no way we have the same overall speed. Just watch their LBs come up or their back make a cut on our LBS.
It looked the exact same way in the 2008 Oklahoma game. Yet a lot of those same guys were back in that 2009 season and produced one of the best defenses this century. Coach them up and I'm sure we have a lot more talent on this roster than what shows up on Saturdays.

The OP's comment has 2 likes. The 3rd post exhibiting a contrary opinion to the OP has 14 likes. That's a pretty clear indication that the OP's viewpoint is in the minority, and that's not the only data point showing this.
Ya, and you were one of them.

Your body of work is clear, and you don't like SF. Got it. Can you please get over that skip in the record and find another message?

I don’t disagree that Illinois was an epic flop. Needed that W. It was a new coaching staff. But a team with 20+ super seniors and a team that boat raced us a year ago, that makes a difference. We got in our own heads I think. Look at Iowa St last year though week 1 compared to how they finished. It can happen.
I thought the Illinois game was a must win for Frost. But I REALLY think MSU is a must win. If Frost doesn’t beat MSU, I think it will essentially be the end for him. I don’t see how else they get to 6 wins if they lose to MSU. The pressure would be too great.

At some point he has to overcome the obstacles and succeed (win games). That’s what he is being paid to do - win games.

It’s a difficult job with a lot of adversity. But it’s no more difficult for Frost than it is for dozens of other coaches.

Would your boss, at your job, excuse 3.5 years of poor performance? By allowing you to blame your poor performance on the guy who had the job before you?

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
I'm still pro-Frost deal with it. I still say he needs more time. I know eventually you have to just WIN and stop making EXCUSES, but dang it this coach has been snake bit.

2018: Opener cancelled. Dealt with pesky CU team with dirty play that injured Amart. No momentum with empty cupboard.
2019: A lot of self-inflicted errors, but I still buy excuse of empty cupboard and attitude adjustment in Year 2.
2020: COVID. Open with OSU. Another cancellation. A lot of self-inflicted errors and no room to build any momentum. Locker room issue with some high-profile players.
2021: Open against new coaching staff with a ton of 6-year seniors, and injuring their starting QB might've actually worked against Huskers.

Now add one more to the list. Coming into the year, MSU was supposed to be a tune-up game heading into the meat of conference play. But as his luck would have it, Sparty is now considered one of the better teams in the conference.

Yes the self-inflicted plays, inability to recruit right guys, sticking with a struggling QB (which may finally be paying off) are all on the staff. But Frost has had NO FAVORS to start his career at Nebraska. Add in the fact that he's had to learn a lot as well on the job. I think HCSF has been humbled and he's a much better coach for that now. He's still the right guy to lead us back, just be patient! We're all pissed at special teams against OU, but look at the bright side, we're only pissed about special teams! He'll get to it, he's had to establish Offense and Defense and Culture. Special Teams is coming, but it's a large rebuilding process. Remember it was 99% buy-in when HCSF was hired. He can still be the coach we all thought he could be. Zoom out and don't be a prisoner of the moment. Even if this turns out to be another tough year, he WILL catch some breaks down the line and the success WILL come!

I'm pro NEBRASKA above all else. At the end of the year I hope it's obvious one way or the other which way we should go. 4 straight losing seasons would be a no brainer for me. I get it about bad breaks but at some point you figure by year four the law of averages would work against you all the time. At some point you make your own breaks. Bill Parcels used to say "you are what your record says you are". By the end of year 4 I think that's what it will/should come down to.

Holla

In a way I agree with you. After the loss to Illinois I was “done” with Frost and ready to move on. And in a way I’m still there. But after the OU game I got to thinking about it.

Frost is a young head coach. He’s had 6 years of total HC experience and 4 of those 6 are at NU. IMO he was hired here thinking he had the experience to win and win early. Clearly that’s not the case. IMO he has to grow into his HC role, and he’s doing it here at NU. I know, there’s Lincoln Riley and Luke Fickle etc who took over programs and just kept winning so it shouldn’t take Frost this long to get it figured out, but it is. And I would argue those guys didn’t take over complete rebuilds. We may not have wanted a work in progress coach, but thats what we got. And IMO, he should and will get a few more years to grow into this position. IMO this year is not quite make or break, next year very well could be.

I guess where I really land is, who do we go after? Most will disagree with me, hell a few years ago I would have disagreed with me. It NU is not the head coaching gig it once was. We’ve fired two 9 win head coaches and are going to send the prodigal son packing…. And we’re going to draw a big name to NU??? So who do we get? Luke Fickel? Why? Mainly because with a jump to the Big 12 why would he leave Cincy for NU? He’s going to be a P5 coach in conference that he can walk into day one and compete? Why come to NU?

Matt Campbell? LOL. Not happening.

the next up and coming G5 stud? Been there done that.

so who?

The point is I’m as frustrated as any other Husker, and on some level I think Frost has to go. But for what? We’ve been on the coaching carousel for 20 years. There’s no guarantee. I guess I’ve seen just enough from last week to think maybe we can turn the corner, and if we let Frost have a few years he just might get it figured out.

that said, I will be watching closely on Saturday. If we play like we did last Saturday it should be a W. I want to see AM make good decisions again. I want to see a commitment to the run and a “stick with it” mentality even when it may be tempting to go to the air. I want to see the D play at the same level/intensity. Hell, I want to see us defer again if we win the toss. I want to see another solid performance from the receivers. I want to see more progression from the OL. Give me that and I’ll still say Frost may be starting to get it. More of the Illinois fiasco, and you very well may be right.

I Hear ya. One of my biggest gripes with Nebraska fans who say "if not Frost then who"? I hate it! It basically says "lets settle for subpar because we don't know if we can do better". That's as defeatest an attitude as I've ever heard of. You keep looking for something better until you find the right person. Reminds me of a woman who stays in an abusive relationship because she doesn't think she can find another man. I'll never understand the logic behind the "if not him than who" crowd. As if the next guy is gonna do so much worse than 4 straight losing seasons hypothetically.

Holla

I said it before, that if we get the OL, PK and penalty issues resolved and the downhill running game going we will run roughshot over this conference as at that point this year there won't be a team good enough to beat us including the not so mighty 2021 version of Bucky as they are a far cry from the teams that have been fielded by them the last 6 years before this one. We literaaly have enough talent to beat every team in this conference.

One thing I stated before the OU game last weekend that hasn't even been brought up once this year is the speed of this team on both sides of the ball and I said people were gonna see just how fast this team is on both sides of the ball. I said more than likely we would be comparable or equal to OU in speed on both sides of the ball and we proved we were equal to their speed. Now the caveot to this whole thing, there isn't a team in this conference including tOSU, Michigan or Penn St that has anywhere near the team speed of OU so what does that say about us? It says we are the fastest team on both sides of the ball in the B1G. Not only that, we are the 2nd largest in team size in the B1G right behind Minnesota and by not much at all as it's on their OL as we have the largest DL in the B1G. Our overall size is 6'4 1/4 avg.

Frost has got the size, strength, power and speed that he wants, it's just eliminating the issues that have plagued us most importantly this year. I'l just say that with even a halfway fixed OL and good, not great running attack and Culp finds his accuracy again we will absolutely blow out Sparty this weekend.

Not sure if serious....Nah, CANT be serious. You serious??

Holla

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
That word "if" has been worn out the last 3+ years. So far, in year 4, it is not happening. What makes everyone think the OL play is all the sudden going to be magical. It "should" get better because if experience alone, but there is obviously something missing with that group.

You seriously think we have that much speed? There are a lot of talking heads who would disagree with you.

Lost all credibility when he said we were as fast as OU and faster than anyone else in the BIG. After that it was hard to focus on anything else. I really don't think some of our fans watch a lot of other college football. Otherwise they would realize how downright bad those comments were. I mean seriously EMBARRASSINGLY bad...sigh.

Holla

I Hear ya. One of my biggest gripes with Nebraska fans who say "if not Frost then who"? I hate it! It basically says "lets settle for subpar because we don't know if we can do better". That's as defeatest an attitude as I've ever heard of. You keep looking for something better until you find the right person. Reminds me of a woman who stays in an abusive relationship because she doesn't think she can find another man. I'll never understand the logic behind the "if not him than who" crowd. As if the next guy is gonna do so much worse than 4 straight losing seasons hypothetically.

Holla
Exactly. I fully understand that the coaching carousel is a bad thing. You do not want to pull the trigger too soon on any coach who is trying to build something and who inherited a mess. But at some point you have to be objective as well and ask a simple, basic question: is the program trending upwards, going backwards, or stuck in neutral? At some point you have to step back and say "four years is enough time for any coach to start showing improvement across the board." And so far this year, there is scant evidence that we are trending upwards in any significant way. Furthermore, our recruiting is starting to suffer big time and our current class is an absolute disaster. In order to help our recruiting we needed for this to be Frost's breakout year. We needed a solid season. Frost may yet turn it around this year. I sure hope he does. Frost succeeding is the best possible outcome for our current woes. This weekend will tell us a lot. Lose against MSU and there is little hope of making a bowl. This might be the most important game of Frost's time here at NU.

Exactly. I fully understand that the coaching carousel is a bad thing. You do not want to pull the trigger too soon on any coach who is trying to build something and who inherited a mess. But at some point you have to be objective as well and ask a simple, basic question: is the program trending upwards, going backwards, or stuck in neutral? At some point you have to step back and say "four years is enough time for any coach to start showing improvement across the board." And so far this year, there is scant evidence that we are trending upwards in any significant way. Furthermore, our recruiting is starting to suffer big time and our current class is an absolute disaster. In order to help our recruiting we needed for this to be Frost's breakout year. We needed a solid season. Frost may yet turn it around this year. I sure hope he does. Frost succeeding is the best possible outcome for our current woes. This weekend will tell us a lot. Lose against MSU and there is little hope of making a bowl. This might be the most important game of Frost's time here at NU.
Not to mention we are the butt of jokes in the college football world now. That doesn't help recruiting.

I see nothing here I could disagree with. MSU is huge for Frost and the program, a loss, and I think 4-8 is highly likely, and 5-7 may be the top side. Is that enough to save his job? It shouldn't be.

I'm encouraged by the move to replace Piper with Hixson. It wasn't a large upgrade, but it was an improvement. I really hope to see 2 more changes in the OL starting lineup, because if NU is unable to improve and move the ball on the ground, a few ass whippings await NU.

Despite the defense being strong, the tests with strong running games begin Saturday, and likely 3-4 more teams that have superior run games to MSU.

If NU stays with these same 5 OL starters, I see no chance for SF to return. The move to Toure as PR is an improvement.

Running backs don’t win football games. It’s one of the least impactful positions in football because the difference between an elite one and an average one is small. Offensive lines (and obviously QBs) win football games, at least as far as offenses go.

Point being, although I haven’t watched a minute of MSU this year, I guarantee you they aren’t playing this well just because they hit paydirt with a running back.
Elite running backs can win you football games. If you have Derrick Henry's, Adrian Pedersens, Reggie Bush's of the world, they full on can win you games.

Reactions: dinglefritz
As much as I would like SF to successfully succeed at Nebraska I can’t deny that he has failed in a couple of area’s..

1) Special teams
2) Been undisciplined in certain areas
3) Did not surround himself with better assistance on his staff.

We can’t keep making the same mistakes in games that gives us a shot to win games which was very evident in the Illinois game to start the season..

I'm pro NEBRASKA above all else. At the end of the year I hope it's obvious one way or the other which way we should go. 4 straight losing seasons would be a no brainer for me. I get it about bad breaks but at some point you figure by year four the law of averages would work against you all the time. At some point you make your own breaks. Bill Parcels used to say "you are what your record says you are". By the end of year 4 I think that's what it will/should come down to.

Holla
That is true, a losing record indicates we're a losing team. But I would counter by paraphrasing another coach, "First you lose big, then you lose close, then you win close, then you win big." We're somewhere in the middle right now and I like the trajectory.

I don't think any aspect (Offense Defense ST) is where we need it to be yet, but I see progress for O and D.

As a Nebraska fan, of course I hope Frost succeeds, even if he seems kind of unlikeable.

Next-best case: He's a modern-day Bill Jennings — pull of a couple of upsets (none of those yet), register a string of losing seasons, but leave the cupboard stocked for somebody who's a much better coach, motivator, etc.

So who's the next Devaney, in that case?

Reactions: bigboxes
But I would counter by paraphrasing another coach, "First you lose big, then you lose close, then you win close, then you win big." We're somewhere in the middle right now and I like the trajectory.
That was Bobby Bowden, who in his first season as a head coach (at Howard/Samford) went 9-1. He followed that with 8-1, 7-2, 7-2.

His next stop was at West Virginia, where he went 8-3, 7-4, 8-4, 6-5, 4-7, 9-3.

At FSU, he went 5-6 in his first year there (his 11th as a head coach), then quickly made the Seminoles a power, going 10-2, 8-3 and then 11-1 in 1979, the only loss coming to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

Bobby was just making excuses for less successful coaches to hang around longer than four years.

Now Bill McCartney is a whole other comparison. Never having been a head coach before (more comparable to Frost), he inherited a train wreck from Chuck Fairbanks, who was at CU for three years (the same as Riley at NU). McCartney's first five years — 2-8-1, 4-7, 1-10, 7-5, 6-6.

We can only hope Frost's fourth year ends as well as Pastor Bill's fourth year.

Elite running backs can win you football games. If you have Derrick Henry's, Adrian Pedersens, Reggie Bush's of the world, they full on can win you games.
I exaggerated a bit, but Derrick Henry and Adrian Peterson are excellent examples of my point. Dominant RBs who can only propel their teams from average to above average.

Peterson won MVP in a year where he may have had the best season of all time as a RB, yet they squeaked into the playoffs with a Week 17 upset over GB.

I exaggerated a bit, but Derrick Henry and Adrian Peterson are excellent examples of my point. Dominant RBs who can only propel their teams from average to above average.

Peterson won MVP in a year where he may have had the best season of all time as a RB, yet they squeaked into the playoffs with a Week 17 upset over GB.
I agree for the pro game as RB's are way over rated, but in the college game they make a difference if you have a big time player.

Reactions: bshirt73
I said it before, that if we get the OL, PK and penalty issues resolved and the downhill running game going we will run roughshot over this conference as at that point this year there won't be a team good enough to beat us including the not so mighty 2021 version of Bucky as they are a far cry from the teams that have been fielded by them the last 6 years before this one. We literaaly have enough talent to beat every team in this conference.

One thing I stated before the OU game last weekend that hasn't even been brought up once this year is the speed of this team on both sides of the ball and I said people were gonna see just how fast this team is on both sides of the ball. I said more than likely we would be comparable or equal to OU in speed on both sides of the ball and we proved we were equal to their speed. Now the caveot to this whole thing, there isn't a team in this conference including tOSU, Michigan or Penn St that has anywhere near the team speed of OU so what does that say about us? It says we are the fastest team on both sides of the ball in the B1G. Not only that, we are the 2nd largest in team size in the B1G right behind Minnesota and by not much at all as it's on their OL as we have the largest DL in the B1G. Our overall size is 6'4 1/4 avg.

Frost has got the size, strength, power and speed that he wants, it's just eliminating the issues that have plagued us most importantly this year. I'l just say that with even a halfway fixed OL and good, not great running attack and Culp finds his accuracy again we will absolutely blow out Sparty this weekend.
That is a lot of ifs. We're not blowing out sparty. A win would be a big deal though.

That is true, a losing record indicates we're a losing team. But I would counter by paraphrasing another coach, "First you lose big, then you lose close, then you win close, then you win big." We're somewhere in the middle right now and I like the trajectory.
The "losing big" part is coming, just haven't gotten to those games yet.

I don't think any aspect (Offense Defense ST) is where we need it to be yet, but I see progress for O and D.

That's where we disagree. I don't see us in the middle of that trajectory. I see us right where I seen us 4 years ago. Again I'm willing to wait till end of the year to see results but another losing season would be enough for me. Otherwise we risk losing 2 recruiting classes and creating a bigger hole for the next HC should it not work. For me it's not worth the risk. I think most anyone else would feel the same if this was anyone besides Frost.

Holla

Reactions: jteten
2 more years even if he has another losing season this year? Not gonna happen. If he has a losing season this year Alberts will have no choice but to fire him. And rightly so.
No, he has a choice. To keep the revolving door of sh#t in motion, or patience. Hopefully patience pays off. Next year, in my opinion, is win or go home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT