ADVERTISEMENT

Frost postgame comments

jarens

Jul 1, 2010
Frost took a little jab in the postgame presser.

“You guys asked me about play-calling last week…I should correct myself, you didn’t ask me, but then you wrote articles about the play-calling last week.”

He also defended his QB.

“I don’t read too much but I hear the whispers.. he’s tentative, he’s not playing well… nobody’s going to be saying that after tonight.”

I’m curious about a a few things here.
1. Was that warranted by Frost? Or not a big deal at all?
2. How did the media traditionally treat Osborne, Solich and then Callahan? I remember the Pelini era and he brought a lot of the scrutiny on himself (although his QB T Martinez was unfairly criticized at times). As for Riley, the media didn’t have to be too harsh, everyone could see where that was headed.
3. Does Frost vs media have potential to get ugly? It was a honeymoon at first for sure. What would it take for it to take a bad turn? I’m surprised to see things getting a little chippy already.

“You guys asked me about play-calling last week…I should correct myself, you didn’t ask me, but then you wrote articles about the play-calling last week.”

He also defended his QB.

“I don’t read too much but I hear the whispers.. he’s tentative, he’s not playing well… nobody’s going to be saying that after tonight.”

2. How did the media traditionally treat Osborne, and then Callahan? I remember the Pelini era and he brought a lot of the scrutiny on himself (although his QB T Martinez was unfairly criticized at times). As for Riley, the media didn’t have to be too harsh, everyone could see failure plain as day.
3. Does Frost vs media have potential to get ugly? It was a honeymoon at first for sure. What would it take for it to take a bad turn? I’m surprised to see things getting a little chippy already.
I thought it was a great press conference. Plus he might have just been given the stats and injury report. Just a little bit testy. That's good. Coach Cook was a little testy after the loss against Stanford. It was a pretty good shot across the bow of the girls which was needed. I know they're not the same but I think both coaches said what needed to be said

People have been extremely critical of Martinez as if he is the reason Nebraska isnt living up to their high expectations.
I'm sure it brings back bad memories of how fans treated him in 1997 and he wants to shield Martinez from it.

I thought it was a great press conference. Plus he might have just been given the stats and injury report. Just a little bit testy. That's good. Coach Cook was a little testy after the loss against Stanford. It was a pretty good shot across the bow of the girls which was needed. I know they're not the same but I think both coaches said what needed to be said
Wouldn’t it be great to have the head official take questions after each game? Ok ref why did you call holding on the left tackle when it clearly shows there was none. That would be great

Whether the reporters were right or wrong, it is a slippery slope letting them know they are getting to you. He is clearly feeling the pressure.

As far as T.O. and Devaney, I'd say it was a different era then. About the only thing I remember was the Daily Nebraskan (I think?) calling T.O. 2-8-1 back in the day when he couldn't win a big game against top 10 opponents (late 80s/early 90s).

Wouldn’t it be great to have the head official take questions after each game? Ok ref why did you call holding on the left tackle when it clearly shows there was none. That would be great
Wait, what team did I just officiate and what state am I in.

Kidding. Officiating is VERY HARD. But my experience is this. You get blown calls. Period. It happens, they're human and frankly they don't always have the best view/angle.
But the WORST thing you can do as a crew is the infamous "make up" call. You blew it. Missed it. Leave it at that. But 2 wrongs don't make a right. Chances are you're going to miss a call later in the game anyway that evens it out. So now what do you do? Another bogus make up call? No

Problem is, as with a team having a bad day, officiating woes can snowball as well. Atleast they have replay to bail them out unless the replay official isn't too busy eating chicken wings to push the buzzer. The best calls are usually no calls

Imagine living and breathing this thing 24/7, working the 80 hour weeks and then some guy that can’t even recognize a defensive front writes an article bashing your play calling. Tens of thousands of fans read it and far too many take it as gospel. I can see how that is frustrating.

Not going to get any where near "Pelini Ugly" IMO. Will be ignored. That said, I personally think Scott would have been better served by just remaining silent about those comments. His comments really only serve to let people know that the media got under his skin and despite what he says, he reads them.

My main gripe about Scott is he and his team jaw constantly about how amazing they are. 'Year 2 we will compete for the B1G' 'Nobody will care about the CU loss when we win the B1G' 'Look how we lift weights' Shut up and win for once. Im sure he hates the criticism but it has been warranted for a long time coming. He got 18 months of sunshine and rainbows from the local rags the second he gets criticized he throws a fit. I dont really care if he wants to jaw about how great he is, Spurrier did that for years and it worked out for him but its because he won. Shut up or win if youre gonna jaw like that.

Last edited:
you could almost tell he was directing answers at certain reporters.

in doctors toms day most reporters were respectful, there were not too many bernard goldburgs back then.

we need to support frost as he works his way thru this, in one of his answers on turn overs it sounded like dr. tom may have talked to him about it.

it's not even year 2 away from the riley fiasco which followed the bo fiasco..
and I knew we were going to win last night, because frost is slowly stocking the team with players...the next few weeks maybe rough...but I think the rebuild is going a-ok

Last edited:
Frost stood up for his players that makes a big difference to them. Bo did that too but alienated the fans in the process. Good job by frost he is our guy and yes we are not where anyone wants us to be. Frost however is making a ton of correct program decisions these will build to a point where it takes off on the field. I still am firmly in the Frost corner and will remain there

I used to be much more critical of officials...then I had to be one for one half of a bball game in an amateur tournament. That was enough. I have been pretty quiet since.

He also defended his QB.

2. How did the media traditionally treat Osborne, Solich and then Callahan? I remember the Pelini era and he brought a lot of the scrutiny on himself (although his QB T Martinez was unfairly criticized at times). As for Riley, the media didn’t have to be too harsh, everyone could see where that was headed.
Yeah, I understand his frustration but I sensed a bit of Bo attitude in there. We don't need an "us vs the world" mentality like BO did to his teams. The fans need to be patient and stop going bat shit crazy after 1 year and 4 games and he and the team need to understand the 20 years of frustration from fans. Understanding on both sides is needed right now.

People have been extremely critical of Martinez as if he is the reason Nebraska isnt living up to their high expectations.
I'm sure it brings back bad memories of how fans treated him in 1997 and he wants to shield Martinez from it.
There were a few little rumblings/boos against northern lllinois. Some of that was directed at the play calling and some at execution ( Martenez).....as Lou would call him

Frost stood up for his players that makes a big difference to them. Bo did that too but alienated the fans in the process. Good job by frost he is our guy and yes we are not where anyone wants us to be. Frost however is making a ton of correct program decisions these will build to a point where it takes off on the field. I still am firmly in the Frost corner and will remain there

Well put. I thought he struck a pretty good balance of standing up for his guy(s) while not coming off as a jerk (something Bo had a penchant for doing).

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Frost seemed pretty emotional to me and he was pretty chippy for him. I'm sure probably just the emotion of the game and the strain of the job.
He was, but Frosty is usually pretty chippy

1) The head referee is just the guy that announces the penalty. Having him answer to a penalty he maybe didn't even call doesn't make much sense.

2) A referee, 9 times out of 10, isn't going to remember a specific penalty in the game...let alone seen it on video to know "there clearly was none" within 10 minutes after the game ended. If such a question were asked, the answer would likely be "I need to review the game before I comment" (and yes...officials do film study, just like players and coaches do).

Referees are human beings. They make mistakes......but I have yet to see a football game (or any sport for that matter) where the players made fewer mistakes than the refs did. Turnovers, missed blocking assignments, missed tackles, and legitimate penalties are what causes teams to lose games, not inconsequential holding penalties made in error. If Nebraska had lost, the turnovers would have been the reason, not that holding penalty.

Have you ever officiated for any length of time....especially in today's society? I guarantee you'll change your tune pretty quick.

My main gripe about Scott is he and his team jaw constantly about how amazing they are. 'Year 2 we will compete for the B1G' 'Nobody will care about the CU loss when we win the B1G' 'Look how we lift weights' Shut up and win for once. If he doesnt like the criticism which has been warranted for a long time coming, he got 18 months of sunshine and rainbows from the local rags the second he gets criticized he throws a fit. I dont really care if he wants to jaw about how great he is, Spurrier did that for years and it worked out for him but its because he won. Shut up or win if youre gonna jaw like that.

Not to be Capt Obvious here, buuutttt.....it is year 2 and they are 1-0 in Conference Play so, technically, they are competing well for the Conference Title, so far...

I used to be much more critical of officials...then I had to be one for one half of a bball game in an amateur tournament. That was enough. I have been pretty quiet since.
Amazing how that works, isn't it....

I officiated some park and rec volleyball in college. When I got into coaching, my basic operating attitude was that someone needed to be pretty bad before I'd say much of anything. Even though I was coaching football, my time reffing VB left an impression.

I just asked Baxter if he's ever officiated in today's society...and told him that if he ever does, he'll change his tune pretty quick.

Reactions: ZaneHickey
I have officiated. There aren't any good reasons to call things based on what you thought happened instead of what you saw happened. There's also no excuse for awarding Illinois the ball when there was not a clear, immediate recovery before the whistles blew. Step 1 is knowing the rules. Our snapper getting absolutely blown up on field goals is explicitly against the rules and yet, it went on all game.

Rabbit ears is a bad quality for a coach to have.
Belichick takes the media’s temperature every week so he knows what not to say to feed into a narrative
Bottom line is how do you handle the media
That is what’s up for debate here
I think up to this point Frost has done a good job about giving access for AM practices in camp, making players available, having spots on ESPN, Rome, etc
Frost is a good ambassador for the program
There’s a tipping point though with local media around the program.
Here’s to hoping Frost can keep handling them
He’s obviously a players coach in what he said after the game in defense of his QB

He also defended his QB.

Oh my lord pull your damn skirt up... yes he is warranted, you have all been talking and saying the crap yes he is more then warranted to stand up for himself... good lord when did our fan base turn into such Whiny little pukes, that can’t handle someone even defending himself?

Reactions: natesonnen
I think what Frost did is great. The local sportswriters get a bit too big for their britches once in awhile and love to try to create drama where there should be none. After all,it’s these same guys that for months were telling everyone that would listen how great we were,how improved we were and how Martinez was a serious Heisman contender. So as soon as we have adversity they are the first to change their tune.

Frost will always have a target on his back , it goes with the job. It’s nice to know he stands up for his players something a couple of local guys should take note of.

Refresh my memory who was the writer that wrote the article this week that he was referring too?

I have officiated. There aren't any good reasons to call things based on what you thought happened instead of what you saw happened. There's also no excuse for awarding Illinois the ball when there was not a clear, immediate recovery before the whistles blew. Step 1 is knowing the rules. Our snapper getting absolutely blown up on field goals is explicitly against the rules and yet, it went on all game.
1) Maybe what they saw, from an angle, was a hold....and made a mistake.

2) Watch the fumble all the way through. An Illinois player picks the ball up and runs into the end zone. I'd say scooping up the ball counts as a clear recovery....and people far more knowledgeable than either you or I saw it that way, and made the decision accordingly.

3) Long snappers in college football can be hit 1 second after the ball is snapped. I didn't see anything last night on FGs or PATs that looked any different than any other FG/PAT in any other game I watched yesterday.

In short.....both teams had an iffy penalty or 2 called against them, and both teams got away with things...just like every other game played yesterday.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
we had a bad call against us but I think illinoise got one or two against them. as long as it evens out

ADVERTISEMENT