ADVERTISEMENT

Frost most likely to be fired

yep, we win 3 out of 4 nc's running the ball, then the run is considered worthless....
(because solich has folks retire on him, dan and buck fumbles and solich goes one dimensional run with crouch)
If/when qNebraska does fire Frost and gets yet another coach. It would be a good idea for Osborne to not be involved in any way. I have a feeling that he has had quite a bit of influence on all recent hires. He may have had success in coaching but needs to stay away now and uninvolved.
My god…you do realize that frost was the unanimous choice for our program and the only one who could save us back in 2017. Things haven’t gone to plan but don’t act like Osborne had to beg someone to hire him

Reactions: jsachisler and ADV1
He was an idiot

maybe he’s trying to prove he can coach a passing team better than his failed attempt at being a passing Qb at Stanford, idk, some people focus on their faults instead of their strengths. I hate the “cute” plays he calls on goal line situations, wish he would hire an analyst to just text him in those situations, hey u dumbf$ck, just run a dive with a fb lead.
lol how funny would that be if that was reality. "Hey Adrian, call a timeout, Analyst hasn't texted me from the booth with the play call, I'm not sure what to do". Wow, that'd be somethin

seeing AM stand flat-footed in the pocket on every single play is vomit-inducing

since when is that anything resembling footwork? no wonder the kid's the worst rated passer from a clean pocket in the league

you play how you practice

peyton manning is rolling in his hall of fame jacket
Now I'm no coach or expert, but I'm willing to bet that's a "walk through" at some point in practice to get the mental reps of the play in.

Not sure one should ever compare Adrian to Peyton, even more so in the passing category. Adrain doesn't deserve to even hold Peyton's clip board let alone his jock strap.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
My god…you do realize that frost was the unanimous choice for our program and the only one who could save us back in 2017. Things haven’t gone to plan but don’t act like Osborne had to beg someone to hire him
I really didn't want frost, because of stanford, whining about michigan (people knew they were duckin with the ducks), and losing to asu. and way too much passing..
I can't remember who I wanted at the time, tom herman or the csu coach..I forget...

but seeing the decision was made...I'm gonna want him to go ahead and win every game here on out.

The AD didn’t

Only because he wasn't offered. Pollard getting interest from Nebraska was never reported by one credible source, that was a classic case of Pollard and his agent trying to make him look important. That guy would have been out of Ames so quick if Nebraska, or any decent athletic program, actually wanted him.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Only because he wasn't offered. Pollard getting interest from Nebraska was never reported by one credible source, that was a classic case of Pollard and his agent trying to make him look important. That guy would have been out of Ames so quick if Nebraska, or any decent athletic program, actually wanted him.
He probably is due for a bigger job. I suspect his personality is holding him back

Reactions: headcard
should win 8 games,
probably win 7,
frost in hot water with 6 wins,
5 wins = campbell from isu

I've seen Campbell mentioned several times as a HC candidate if the wheels fall off for Frost. Do we REALLY think he would consider coming to Nebraska?

Holla

Let’s see what happens Saturday. Nebraska starts 3-0 there is a chance to get to 8 wins, maybe more. Looking forward to a good season, at some point we need to stop starting over every 3-5 years.

Coaches with 16-27 records will and probably SHOULD keep you changing coaches. Don't hang on for the sake of hanging on. If you see something that makes you believe a guy can right the ship or is on the verge of that I get it. BUT if not why bother? Cut your losses and find your next guy.

Holla

I agree. Which only underscores the deep pickle we are in. We don’t want to fire Frost and then have to hire a nobody coach or an unproven coordinator which is what would most likely happen. No successful coach whose career is on the upswing would take this job. We could open the wallet I suppose and offer a proven coach an absurd amount of money but even that is no guarantee they would take the job. Because there are plenty of other schools out there with deep pockets too. Deeper than ours. I am sure Alberts is well aware of this and wants Frost to succeed this year so he isn't forced to fire him. He knows the trouble he would have in finding a great coach out there willing to take the job. That is what Eichorst found out after he fired Pelini. He had to settle for Riley since I am sure his first choices turned him down. And if Riley was his guy all along then it only proves what an idiot he was. So anyone on here who is secretly hoping for Frost to fail in the silly hope that there is "the next great Nebraska coach" just sitting out there waiting for an offer is crazy.

I hope their isnt anyone rooting for Frost to fail. That doesn't really make sense. But I hope the powers that be don't subscribe to the "if not Frost than who" theory that some fans have bought into either. I don't care about a big name coach. I don't care about an offensive coordinator or what other schools have to offer. Imo you don't "settle" in a losing situation because you don't know what the future holds. I'll never be ok with that and hope brass feels the same way.

Holla

I've seen Campbell mentioned several times as a HC candidate if the wheels fall off for Frost. Do we REALLY think he would consider coming to Nebraska?

Holla
I just used him as an example of the type of coach we might consider if frost only wins 5 games (or less/yikes).
I suspect frost may have watched some film and come to understand there nothing wrong with martinez, if you use him right (run/pass qb) and don't expect him to become to become dan marino..because all the sudden we have depth at the rb position. (instead of wire legs and 150 lbs rb) this year's play calling should be interesting,

Last edited:
I hope their isnt anyone rooting for Frost to fail. That doesn't really make sense. But I hope the powers that be don't subscribe to the "if not Frost than who" theory that some fans have bought into either. I don't care about a big name coach. I don't care about an offensive coordinator or what other schools have to offer. Imo you don't "settle" in a losing situation because you don't know what the future holds. I'll never be ok with that and hope brass feels the same way.

Holla
The issue for me is that most people said 4-5 years and mostly 5 years from former Huskers who watched practice and witnessed the roster up close. We're in year 4. There should have been little excuse for some of the losses these last few years but for me we're at the point where we can start making accurate assessments of on field coaching versus talent available and recruiting.

I'm optimistic that even given this schedule that this could be a turning point for Husker football. The one obvious failure IMO has been QB recruiting to this point and all that took was Gebbia leaving to really screw that up for Frost. IMO, IF Gebbia were available when Martinez got hurt that first year, this whole deal could look a lot different. We would be bitching about only getting 7 wins the last couple of years instead of just praying that we can get to 6 this next one. Luke was a failure. Smothers? Who knows.

Reactions: Seascout3
Enter the "if we fire Frost, no coach will come here" crowd. And they will be wrong for the umpteenth time.

Money talks. Nebraska (last I checked) is still considered a blue blood program that sells out the stadium and has deep pockets to fund the program and facilities.

I don't think anyone wants Frost to be fired at the end of the season, because that would mean another disappointing year. However, this article is stating that should things continue at the pace we've seen for the first three years, that it might be time to go in a different direction.

My take is that Moos was so tied to Frost's success that he wasn't going to hold Frost accountable for anything, including a dismal vaccination rate. Trev came in and overnight there was an entire new perspective about vaccine and voila, 90% of the team is vaccinated now. This was not meant to get into a political "is vaccine good or bad discussion" - but more so to show an example where Trev means business and Frost quickly followed his direction.

We all think "oh things are different here" but in reality, when you have a program with three losing seasons and a new AD comes to town, that is usually a bad sign for a coach unless things get turned around - quickly.

Campbell isnt going anywhere. Especially to the dumpster fire that is Nebraska football.
Especially with his record against Iowa, however his teams are starting to play better against them.

Enter the "if we fire Frost, no coach will come here" crowd. And they will be wrong for the umpteenth time.

Money talks. Nebraska (last I checked) is still considered a blue blood program that sells out the stadium and has deep pockets to fund the program and facilities.

I don't think anyone wants Frost to be fired at the end of the season, because that would mean another disappointing year. However, this article is stating that should things continue at the pace we've seen for the first three years, that it might be time to go in a different direction.

My take is that Moos was so tied to Frost's success that he wasn't going to hold Frost accountable for anything, including a dismal vaccination rate. Trev came in and overnight there was an entire new perspective about vaccine and voila, 90% of the team is vaccinated now. This was not meant to get into a political "is vaccine good or bad discussion" - but more so to show an example where Trev means business and Frost quickly followed his direction.

We all think "oh things are different here" but in reality, when you have a program with three losing seasons and a new AD comes to town, that is usually a bad sign for a coach unless things get turned around - quickly.
The sad part is that IMO vaccination isn't that big of a deal for a bunch of early 20 somethings. What comes in to play is the protocols you're put through if most of your team isn't vaccinated. We're still going to have guys test positive and have to sit out I'm afraid. We don't enforce protocols for influenza in college athletes but some of the same consequences for the kids and people around them exist. Influenza can cause similar long term health problems like myocarditis and asthma. Why don't we require flu vaccine annually for all college students?

I don't think Trev taking the AD job is anything more than neutral for Frost. IMO, Frost is Trev's guy as much as if he had hired him. Trev no doubt really wants to make this work and he'll do everything he can to see that happens. That said, Trev has a lot more gravitas to make a decision to fire Frost than Moos would have had. Half of Husker fans would have raised hell if Moos ever tried to fire Frost regardless of the record. Trev could do it and the vast majority would say, "well I'm sad it didn't work out".

The sad part is that IMO vaccination isn't that big of a deal for a bunch of early 20 somethings. What comes in to play is the protocols you're put through if most of your team isn't vaccinated. We're still going to have guys test positive and have to sit out I'm afraid. We don't enforce protocols for influenza in college athletes but some of the same consequences for the kids and people around them exist. Influenza can cause similar long term health problems like myocarditis and asthma. Why don't we require flu vaccine annually for all college students?

I don't think Trev taking the AD job is anything more than neutral for Frost. IMO, Frost is Trev's guy as much as if he had hired him. Trev no doubt really wants to make this work and he'll do everything he can to see that happens. That said, Trev has a lot more gravitas to make a decision to fire Frost than Moos would have had. Half of Husker fans would have raised hell if Moos ever tried to fire Frost regardless of the record. Trev could do it and the vast majority would say, "well I'm sad it didn't work out".
Think we are kinda saying the same thing. I believe the vaccine is a good thing and the conference does have protocols in place. A forfeited game, has severe economic implications also so I applaud the push.
I also think Trev wants him to succeed. Will do what he can to help him. But Trev will pull the plug if it isn’t working. He’s not as tied to Frost being successful as Moos was.

Think we are kinda saying the same thing. I believe the vaccine is a good thing and the conference does have protocols in place. A forfeited game, has severe economic implications also so I applaud the push.
I also think Trev wants him to succeed. Will do what he can to help him. But Trev will pull the plug if it isn’t working. He’s not as tied to Frost being successful as Moos was.
Moos was just hanging out collecting a check and only doing as much as he was asked to do by the people who hired him. There was not going to be any grand vision for advancement from Moos. Trev I think will make things happen. I do like the fact that he is a Nebraska guy who isn't going to lose his mind if Adrian goes down and we don't get where we want to this year. Barring a complete meltdown, I think Frost has this and next year to prove it.

https://www.sportsline.com/cfb/news...rost-michigans-jim-harbaugh-on-hottest-seats/

another read
Scott Frost – 12-20 entering Year 4

No school has been as defiantly committed to paying egregious buyouts as Nebraska, where the cash giveaways to departed coaches have been the athletic department’s most relevant claim to fame for the past decade. The school spent nearly $28 million in buyout money over a 15-year span, according to reports last year.

Since then, Nebraska has even shown a rare commitment to paying the people who are paying the wrong people. Former AD Bill Moos was allowed to walk away with $3 million after – cough, cough, cough – retiring from his job. Giveaways are practically part of the school’s muscle memory.

Nebraska certainly appears ready to part ways with Frost and, potentially, engage in a protracted legal battle to lessen his $20 million buyout. The news coming out via the Action Network that the NCAA is investigating Nebraska for holding illegal workouts and illicit use of analysts doesn’t bode well in any way for Frost, who is 9-17 in Big Ten play.

Frost getting dragged in front of the media by new athletic director Trev Alberts to address the story is also a bad sign. Frost is chilly even in good moments, and his temperament will be closely watched this year.

During Frost’s time at Nebraska, the program has failed to establish anything close to an identity. There’s been far more misses than hits, including a home loss to Troy, and losses to Ohio State by an average of 38 points the past two years.

If Nebraska loses its Week 0 opener at Illinois, it’s hard to see Frost surviving until Christmas. Frost also can’t let Nebraska get run off the field in its final three games – Ohio State, at Wisconsin and Iowa. (Nebraska lost 115-58 combined the last time it faced each.)

Bottom line: Any manufactured optimism for this season appeared to exit with the potential NCAA issues. Alberts was brought in for a reason, and continuing the status quo of irrelevance wasn’t one of them.https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-colle...ches-facing-win-or-else-season-033254061.html
Last night I was in my driveway when my neighbor from three houses down the street started approaching me. He is a big Washington Husky fan. (Huskies by the way have had too many good quarterbacks on their roster the last several years.) I could tell from 100 feet away he was one too many Bud Lights over the line. He's got a sh-t eating grin on his face and is repeating over and over "Scott Frost, 12-20!". I will say it again, the Huskers need to start winning games.

It's sad to hear Frost might be fired. I really thought he would turn your program around. If the rumors are true about his separation, the best thing he can do is try to save his marriage and focus on his future. He has enough money where he doesn't have to worry about a paycheck I presume.

It's sad to hear Frost might be fired. I really thought he would turn your program around. If the rumors are true about his separation, the best thing he can do is try to save his marriage and focus on his future. He has enough money where he doesn't have to worry about a paycheck I presume.
I will be absolutely stunned if Frost is here for more than a couple years.

If his wife took the kids to Florida, that might explain the lawyer I read about here. She'll most likely end up with the kids. He'll be chasing his kids is my bet if they dont patch things up.

Which would mean he's gone....unless he doesn't mind his kids growing up without him.

I agree with most of this. I don’t think we can possibly stick with Frost, nor will we, if his team this year lays another turd. But how in the hell do we get out of this mess by hiring a top flight coach? What really good coach in his right mind would take the job? I just think we really, really need to hope Frost proves us all wrong and has a really good season this year. Because firing him, though necessary if he flops again, means a desperate search for that elusive great coach.
One question: was Pelini fired because his teams got worse or was he actually fired because they just never got any better than perpetual 9-4 seasons?
I don't think Pelini's teams got any worse. I think they remained about the same thoughout his career. Perhaps the reason they looked worse was due to moving to the B1G and playing tougher competition. That being said, I think the main reason Pelini was fired is because we couldn't get over the 9 win hump.

BS… Pollard is a lifer at ISU and could care less about the train wreck in Lincoln

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Just an outsider taking a look at what used to be Nebraska football. While I was never a fan of Nebraska football, I always respected the program....and admired the strength....I remember two games in particular that left an impression on me...Nebraska v. Oklahoma, The game with Jerry Tagge and Jack Mildren......I was a kid,and remember what a monster game that was....the other was Nebraska annihilating F.lorida to win the Natty. Don't even remember the years...just the power that was Nebraska football. The stadium and fanbase was deemed the most fanatical in college football (see a book called Sports in America). One observation I would offer is this....why in the world would Nebraska join the B10? The B12 was still viable....which is why Texas and Oklahoma were there up until now. I thought that move would result in Nebraska's decline when it happened. Just didn't seem to be the right fit, ever. '

Right now, the Big 12 looks as if fighting for its life, but not necessarily. Maybe Nebraska should consider rejoining, in order to reestablish its tradition, and position of power. With Texas and Oklahoma likely leaving....the BMOC in the B12 is up for grabs, which will continue to be a Power 5 conference...would do well with Nebraska sitting in the catbird seat.

Just an outsider taking a look at what used to be Nebraska football. While I was never a fan of Nebraska football, I always respected the program....and admired the strength....I remember two games in particular that left an impression on me...Nebraska v. Oklahoma, The game with Jerry Tagge and Jack Mildren......I was a kid,and remember what a monster game that was....the other was Nebraska annihilating F.lorida to win the Natty. Don't even remember the years...just the power that was Nebraska football. The stadium and fanbase was deemed the most fanatical in college football (see a book called Sports in America). One observation I would offer is this....why in the world would Nebraska join the B10? The B12 was still viable....which is why Texas and Oklahoma were there up until now. I thought that move would result in Nebraska's decline when it happened. Just didn't seem to be the right fit, ever. '

Right now, the Big 12 looks as if fighting for its life, but not necessarily. Maybe Nebraska should consider rejoining, in order to reestablish its tradition, and position of power. With Texas and Oklahoma likely leaving....the BMOC in the B12 is up for grabs, which will continue to be a Power 5 conference...would do well with Nebraska sitting in the catbird seat.
Your last paragraph will never happen… The college football world is changing end of that story..

Reactions: Sinomatic
ADVERTISEMENT